Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 02, 2014, 06:20:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330153 Posts in 13528 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  RPGFan's 20 Top 20 DS Games
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10 Print
Author Topic: RPGFan's 20 Top 20 DS Games  (Read 6479 times)
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: November 22, 2013, 11:21:05 PM »

Radiant Historia was interesting to me because even your wrong choices led to end games that could be informative or neat. So even though you often only had one right choice and then a wrong one, the decision still FELT meaningful. Also the combat felt very... I don't know, it was more hands on.

TWEWY also felt like a game you were supposed to /play/ to me. My issue with a lot of RPGs is that they feel like something you're supposed to admire more distantly than /play/. TWEWY was a game I got into fight not because I NEEDED to but because I WANTED to. A game that was unabashedly a GAME.

I'm okay with remakes when they're substantially different -- DQ5 on the DS changes a lot from the SNES version. CT was pretty much a straight port, though.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: November 23, 2013, 01:26:35 AM »

TWEWY also felt like a game you were supposed to /play/ to me. My issue with a lot of RPGs is that they feel like something you're supposed to admire more distantly than /play/. TWEWY was a game I got into fight not because I NEEDED to but because I WANTED to. A game that was unabashedly a GAME.

Interesting.  While I really liked TWEWY's story and presentation, I hated the actual combat, which was the bulk of the gameplay.  Sure it was original, but it didn't play well.  Felt more like something I had to struggle through to get to the story bits which were what I actually cared about...

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: November 23, 2013, 01:35:22 AM »

Interesting.  While I really liked TWEWY's story and presentation, I hated the actual combat, which was the bulk of the gameplay.  Sure it was original, but it didn't play well.  Felt more like something I had to struggle through to get to the story bits which were what I actually cared about...

100% to Kev.  I loved everything else, and I liked even the idea for the battle system, but it became chaotic too often and upgraded a headache I'd have that day to a full migrane.  I think that's why even though I love the game a lot, I doubt I'd want to play it again any time soon.

And Shiki, eat a goddamn steak.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: November 23, 2013, 02:02:09 AM »

I probably agree. Spoilers: Sometimes I feel like voicing some particular opinion -- whether its one I actually hold or not -- and then I just apply it to whatever game was most recently brought up. You can make a fun game out of figuring out which celebrity video game journalist I'm aping at the time!!!

Actually I think I gave up one TWEWY towards the end of the first seven day cycle because it was mostly just finding dudes telling you exactly where to go and then doing whatever they told you to. There wasn't much room for figuring anything out.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: November 23, 2013, 08:20:39 AM »

Is Radiant Historia really that good? I feel like I got pretty far into it and I was never elevated above "playable rpg" for me. Did I give up before it got good? Does the story have some amazing revelation I hadn't seen?
I don't recall the game having any kind of "amazing revelation" at any late points in the game. It did have some revelations later in the game that made sense and added some interesting layers to the earlier parts of the game. However I loved the game before that. As Dice said, it was a well written game. They had an interesting game mechanic (a book that lets you travel through your personal history) and they use it to its full effect. It handles the mechanic perfectly, giving you countless bad ends where you get to stumble around as you try and find the proper path to saving the world. I guess it really just boils down to being a well written game with an interesting mechanic (the time travel) that is done extremely well.

On the topic of TWEWY, I thought it was an alright game. The story really only picks up around the second "round" or w/e you want to call them. The battle system however was quite unpleasant. I do not have fond memories of the game and would call it a above average game at best.
Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: November 23, 2013, 01:09:24 PM »

Are the Fire emblem games on the ds any good?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 01:22:12 PM by Holykael1 » Logged

Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: November 23, 2013, 01:36:09 PM »

I thought Shadow Dragon was kind of average. Awakening for 3DS is awesome though. I also liked the GBA ones. Out of all of them Shadow Dragon for DS was my least favourite. It is a remake of the first though so it is lacking certain features available in later games.

Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: November 23, 2013, 02:31:16 PM »

It's probably not counted as an RPG for the purpose of this site, but Advance Wars: Dual Strike is waaaay better than Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon.  Use that game for your DS strategy fix.

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: November 23, 2013, 04:29:19 PM »

Radiant Historia was interesting to me because even your wrong choices led to end games that could be informative or neat. So even though you often only had one right choice and then a wrong one, the decision still FELT meaningful. Also the combat felt very... I don't know, it was more hands on.

Not only that but many of the bad ends in RH aren't so much the result of not just doing what the developers wanted you to do but because the other alternative was usually too inefficient to take and still prevent the doomsday scenario from playing out. Basically the game was really good at justifying why you just done fucked up (even if there weren't any dead man walking scenarios for you to play through). On that note, I will reiterate that RH's biggest failing was its lack of a budget. Looking at the game's official artwork, you can see that several locations looked a lot more impressive than they appeared in the game, moreover the aforementioned dead ends could've been expanded on or additional branches could've been added to give alternate perspectives on some of the events of the game and to make choices other than the first lead in different directions.

I'm okay with remakes when they're substantially different -- DQ5 on the DS changes a lot from the SNES version. CT was pretty much a straight port, though.

Technically speaking DQV is a port of the PS2 remake but it should count anyways since unless you've played the original through emulation or can read Japanese and imported the PS2 remake, it would've been your first experience with either version of the game. Whereas CT has had plenty of opportunities to be played and the differences between this specific version and previous are insubstantial at best. Even cases like FFIV can be justified by being rebuilt using a different engine and featuring different mechanical quirks like fewer enemies being encountered during battles and being made stronger as a result.

I thought Shadow Dragon was kind of average. Awakening for 3DS is awesome though. I also liked the GBA ones. Out of all of them Shadow Dragon for DS was my least favourite. It is a remake of the first though so it is lacking certain features available in later games.

Admittedly they weren't the best remakes. Much like the FF3 DS remake, the FE DS remakes tried to implement newer mechanics into games that weren't really balanced around them leading to such hilarity as Sedgar and Wolf becoming monstrous tanks after being reclassed into Generals and given a few levels to make use of their insane growths, Ceada and her four or so Win Spears making chumps of the game's massive number of mounted and armored forces thrown your way, the MU having such insane growths and 8 prologue chapters to use them in to make the other 75+ characters in New Mystery look like chumps, the wireless items/shops for ridiculous shit like Growth Drops, the Rainbow Potion, buyable Brave weaponry, and so on. Admittedly, I'd say as questionable as either FE DS game was, they're still better than the FF 3 remake by a country mile (the only changes that were pants-on-head retarded was increasing the stat caps on every class to reflect the GBA era games yet not do a thing for the bases making late joining characters useless by comparison, and making the difficult to access Falcon Knight class comparatively useless to the Dragon Knight class; whereas FF3 tried to make starting jobs more useful by nerfing the fuck out of the later jobs as well as providing an exclusive piece of gear if you stuck with a class for all 99 job levels, and to ensure that they'll nerf your stats for a bunch of battles after changing jobs even when you need to mass change jobs to handle the dungeon literally built around being in a certain job).

As for Shadow Dragon's Gaiden chapters requiring killing off the majority of your army to access, as lamentable as it is, I still have to give it props for helping break my habit of trying to save and use everybody evenly that I tend to fall into when I play FE games. It's encouraged me to try out specific runs based on certain arbitrary criteria like Marth + all females or Marth + all bald men. It's unfortunate that said requirements plus the lack of supports has everyone bent out of shape over the game (especially since Awakening's a good example of how tons of supports doesn't necessarily make the game that much better).

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: November 23, 2013, 10:14:40 PM »

This list makes me feel weird.

I feel like there should be more but in reality the DS's library of RPG-esque games is really weak.
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 23, 2013, 10:18:14 PM »

This list actually started out as 100 games that we thought had some shot of making the cut, so we definitely could have made a bigger list and not been embarrassed by any of the games we chose for it, but 20's a good stopping point.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: November 24, 2013, 03:53:07 AM »

This list makes me feel weird.

I feel like there should be more but in reality the DS's library of RPG-esque games is really weak.

Browsing RPGfan's review section, I think the reality of the situation is that there just were not that many RPGs released period during the last generation.

--- edit ---

I am surprised EO isn't on the list, though. I don't really care for them but they are kind of iconic to the system.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 03:58:58 AM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not dream o/`

smmac41

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: November 24, 2013, 10:57:44 AM »

I find I very difficult to agree with this list as half the games aren't even RPGs. To add to this, some of the RPGs are ports or graphical remakes (i.e.. Dragon Quest V, VI, Final Fantasy IV). All of which don't belong on this list.

Saying all of that, I simply haven't played enough NDS RPGs to make a definitive list.

My Top 5 Nintendo DS RPGs (I've played) are:

05      The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass

04      Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor

03      Suikoden Tierkreis

02      Etrian Odyssey (I)

No. 1      Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: November 24, 2013, 11:44:28 AM »

I find I very difficult to agree with this list as half the games aren't even RPGs. To add to this, some of the RPGs are ports or graphical remakes (i.e.. Dragon Quest V, VI, Final Fantasy IV). All of which don't belong on this list.

FFIVDS doesn't really play like the original. It's a different game as far as I'm concerned.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: November 24, 2013, 11:52:20 AM »

You guys doing the other system as well?

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: