Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 28, 2014, 02:05:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338688 Posts in 13864 Topics by 2217 Members
Latest Member: milz
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  RPGFan's 20 Top 20 DS Games
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10 Print
Author Topic: RPGFan's 20 Top 20 DS Games  (Read 7844 times)
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #75 on: November 24, 2013, 04:12:04 PM »

I'm sorry, but I must disagree most wholeheartedly.  Opoona is terrible.

Dawn of the New World is apparently even worse.  In fact, it received the lowest score we gave any Wii game.  (Opoona got only the #5 worst score.)

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: November 24, 2013, 04:25:48 PM »

Yeah I think it's important to consider titles one personally loves amongst ones that are much more unanimously praised.  It's hard to please everyone.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: November 24, 2013, 04:31:57 PM »

Radiant Historia, dragon quest 5, rune factory 3 and etrian odyssey 3 are the ds rpgs that stick out most to me. I'm kind of sad not to see RF3 on the list at all, especially with dark dawn on there. But, y'know, I get that nobody actually PLAYED RF3.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: November 24, 2013, 10:38:36 PM »

I like Opoona but I think we're all in agreement that I'm an idiot, not a gamer, and probably just a Serbian botnet.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: November 25, 2013, 12:42:38 AM »

Dawn of the New World is apparently even worse.  In fact, it received the lowest score we gave any Wii game.  (Opoona got only the #5 worst score.)

And yet people are waiting for the Symphonia HD Chronicles for some reason (maybe if they updated DotNW to not suck, then it might be worth it (ToS1 is a good game for its time but I'm pretty sure the Tales of series is incredibly incremental in its advancements and overly reliant on archetypes, and I'm fairly certain there's been at least one worth successor to come along since then).

Also, I thought we already did a Top 20 Wii RPGs feature earlier this year?

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 25, 2013, 12:48:21 AM »

I'm not sure.  We don't have one in the page that lists all of our past special features.

—Kurt Vonnegut
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: November 25, 2013, 12:55:05 AM »

I'm not sure.  We don't have one in the page that lists all of our past special features.

I was just there myself, and I could swear we had an argument about the Wii and other console RPGs earlier this year (or maybe it was last year?).

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 25, 2013, 01:34:04 AM »

Maybe you're remembering the suggestion thread that started this all?  It was on the public forums...

—Kurt Vonnegut
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: November 25, 2013, 01:41:49 AM »

I like Opoona but I think we're all in agreement that I'm an idiot, not a gamer, and probably just a Serbian botnet.

I liked the music. :D

And yet people are waiting for the Symphonia HD Chronicles for some reason (maybe if they updated DotNW to not suck, then it might be worth it (ToS1 is a good game for its time but I'm pretty sure the Tales of series is incredibly incremental in its advancements and overly reliant on archetypes, and I'm fairly certain there's been at least one worth successor to come along since then).

Also, I thought we already did a Top 20 Wii RPGs feature earlier this year?

Nostalgia. 

The characters were really something too.  But yeah, it's aged liked fine-ass, but it's still good for simple fun even if the newer titles outdo it a million-fold.

ToS2 was the definition of tawdry.  It brought all your favorite characters back in a half-ass sequel with irritating heroes and level caps on the old cast.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Elegance

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: November 25, 2013, 07:36:43 PM »

Opoona does indeed have a great soundtrack.

It's good to see some great picks in the DS list (like Radiant Historia, Ghost Trick, and 999).  The lack of Infinite Space is astounding though.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: November 25, 2013, 07:40:25 PM »

To be honest, I couldn't stand Infinite Space.  It was too ponderous for its own good, plot direction was too vague, and the music was forgettable.  I can see what it was aiming for, but I didn't enjoy it at all.  It's kinda like how I feel about 2001: A Space Odyssey.  I see it for its cinematic values, but holy mother of boring I couldn't sit through that film.  
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 07:44:56 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #86 on: November 25, 2013, 07:50:59 PM »

I agree completely, Neal.

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: November 25, 2013, 07:51:45 PM »

Symphonia is seriously the only Tales game I liked. I thought the load times made Abyss unplayable and then I couldn't stand that game for a bunch of other reasons besides that anyway -- way too many cutscenes, easy to lock yourself out of things, a looooot of railroading. Also I think Abyss is when they really got into glorping on a bunch of useless gameplay systems.

Also could they seriously either make cooking useful or just remove it? I mean for the entire series?

wrt Infinite Space, a lot of open-ended space based games are super-grindy because Elite was really grindy and they can't get away from that for some reason. I never PLAYED IS, but that sounds like it's the case here -- more Elite-based than like, Star Control 2 based?

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Tooker
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 25, 2013, 07:58:20 PM »

I am also not a fan of 2001.  Dr. Strangelove is the only Kubrick movie I've ever liked, and I don't think it's a coincidence that it's the movie he made before he got famous enough to override the studio on big stuff.  They forced him to keep the movie shorter.

—Kurt Vonnegut
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 25, 2013, 08:00:02 PM »

I've enjoyed every Kubrick film I saw BUT 2001. Though Full Metal Jacket was kind of lacking.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: