Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2014, 01:00:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334548 Posts in 13704 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  RPGFan's 20 Top 20 DS Games
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 Print
Author Topic: RPGFan's 20 Top 20 DS Games  (Read 7152 times)
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: November 25, 2013, 08:04:50 PM »

Hey RPGFan, how about best RPG story feature??  For us who go in for a good show? :P

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Elegance

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: November 25, 2013, 08:09:33 PM »

Never had to grind in Infinite Space.  It's actually pretty easy and the strategy is not as deep as it appears to be, but I found its greatest strength to be the grand story and character development.  I still haven't played a game that has what feels like a 20 hour introduction.  I know most people just divide the game into two parts, but the first part seems to be there only to set up plot points and character introductions so that the second part can go all out in terms of plot and character development, twists, and strategic warfare.   It really pulls no punches I didn't expect the payoff to be so satisfying.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: November 25, 2013, 08:11:33 PM »

The book for 2001 is a looot better than he movie.

--- edit ---

To elaborate on this, it's not just typical HRRDRR BOOK BETTER THEY CHANGED STUFF IN MOVIE IT BAD, since the book and the movie were written at the same time, it's just that the book expanded on a lot of things. It's less cryptic, there's a little more depth to the characters... It's not drastically different but it has a lot of details the movie lacked, and it doesn't make the concessions for artsiness that the movie did.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 08:19:31 PM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: November 25, 2013, 08:33:14 PM »

I was gonna try to quote a bunch of stuff, but I'll just leave it at this: The various statements made in this thread, from 'TWEWY is not that great' to 'Tales of Symphonia is not the best Tales game' to '2001: A Space Odyssey is boring', and the fact that the people making such statements have been treated courteously and even lead to interesting discussion, reminds me why I come to this forum (and reminds me I should probably come around here more often instead of going to forums where I get flamed for making similar statements).

As for Infinite Space, I wanted to like that game, but it look forever to get going, battles were rediculously slow, and if I recall correctly, I hated the general lack of exploration, but still having to deal with random battles during missions. Probably one of my biggest disappointments as far as RPGs go...

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Elegance

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: November 25, 2013, 08:37:26 PM »

As for Infinite Space, I wanted to like that game, but it look forever to get going, battles were rediculously slow, and if I recall correctly, I hated the general lack of exploration, but still having to deal with random battles during missions. Probably one of my biggest disappointments as far as RPGs go...
I'll admit you have to be very patient with it, but it rewards that patience that most games just leave hanging.
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 25, 2013, 08:49:20 PM »

Hey RPGFan, how about best RPG story feature??  For us who go in for a good show? :P

We should - we did already write about the top 5 underwhelming storylines...

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 25, 2013, 08:59:16 PM »

It's not drastically different but it has a lot of details the movie lacked, and it doesn't make the concessions for artsiness that the movie did.

Code for "you don't stare at a guy drifting in spaces for minutes on end" ergo book is better by default.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: November 25, 2013, 09:29:51 PM »

It's not drastically different but it has a lot of details the movie lacked, and it doesn't make the concessions for artsiness that the movie did.

Code for "you don't stare at a guy drifting in spaces for minutes on end" ergo book is better by default.

Oh that's definitely part of it. In the book he's basically going past huge fleets of abandoned ships belonging to long dead civilizations. It's super cool and it's obvious they did what they did in the movie because special effects at the time weren't up to snuff for /that/. But it pervades the rest of the novel as well. Like the intro with the monkeys is another big one.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 25, 2013, 10:30:14 PM »

I will agree that the book of 2001 is better. :)

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: November 26, 2013, 12:15:31 AM »

Oh that's definitely part of it. In the book he's basically going past huge fleets of abandoned ships belonging to long dead civilizations. It's super cool and it's obvious they did what they did in the movie because special effects at the time weren't up to snuff for /that/. But it pervades the rest of the novel as well. Like the intro with the monkeys is another big one.

Yeah, the whole flying into Jupiter scene was very much a case of the technology at the time being woefully inadequate for what they were trying to depict. That said, White Room scene was clearly poor pacing though. And with that said, and in its defense, scenes like watching the co-pilot drift off into the endless space wouldn't have worked nearly as well if less time was shown of the guy just drifting out of view. That shit's downright scary in the same way as getting buried alive or falling down into something and being unable to get back up in terms of ways to die.

Getting back on topic a bit, this list is invalid because nobody considered The Great Cave Offensive from Kirby's SuperStar Ultra and that very much had battles inspired by RPGs.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: November 26, 2013, 01:05:52 AM »

I would stay away from a list of "best stories in an RPG" because that is SO subjective.  Nobody could agree on anything.  It would only invite controversy.  The thread for that article would break 100 pages in 90 days. 

...You should start on the article tomorrow. 

MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: November 26, 2013, 01:15:36 AM »

DROWNING IN THAT DEEP
   ~≈≈≈≈~~~~~≈≈≈≈~
   ~~≈~~≈|o|≈~~≈≈≈≈
   ~~~≈≈≈≈~~~~~≈≈≈
  XENOGEARS OCEAN

o/` I do not dream o/`

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 26, 2013, 01:29:52 AM »

Getting back on topic a bit, this list is invalid because nobody considered The Great Cave Offensive from Kirby's SuperStar Ultra and that very much had battles inspired by RPGs.

I saw someone wonder why the hell Canvas Curse wasn't on the list at all actually.

Before noticing the name of the site that produced the list.
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: November 26, 2013, 07:27:14 AM »

I would stay away from a list of "best stories in an RPG" because that is SO subjective.  Nobody could agree on anything.  It would only invite controversy.  The thread for that article would break 100 pages in 90 days. 

...You should start on the article tomorrow. 
Look all that has to be done is put Xenogears at number 1 and no one will care about the rest. Everyone can agree to that so there would be peace and harmony. *hides*
Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: November 26, 2013, 01:44:37 PM »

Ahem tbh, I think the xenosaga Trilogy has a better story than Xenogears. I think the Zero Escape series has the best plot of anything that ever existed so there is that.. That's just me though.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: