Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 21, 2014, 08:05:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329362 Posts in 13491 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  RPGFan's 20 Top 20 DS Games
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 Print
Author Topic: RPGFan's 20 Top 20 DS Games  (Read 6268 times)
Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: November 26, 2013, 02:07:57 PM »

Ahem tbh, I think the xenosaga Trilogy has a better story than Xenogears. I think the Zero Escape series has the best plot of anything that ever existed so there is that.. That's just me though.

I love the Zero Escape series to bits but don't think I could ever say it had the best story but as mentioned before, it is all subjective. People like different things and what may click for one person, might not interest another that much. That said, I do like the story in 999 and VLR. It is just, they seem pretty convoluted when I look back on them. Similar to how I loved the show Lost but looking back and thinking on episodes, it seems kind of ridiculous.

I like the stories from Nier, Planescape Torment and The Witcher. Then there are pieces of the story from certain games I really enjoy. I love stories where people face their inner demons like in Persona 4 and Z.H.P. Unlosing Ranger.

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: November 26, 2013, 02:13:24 PM »

The thing that bothers me about NieR is that the story is amazing, but I got upset with how much plot was sort of lost and not elaborated on in the game (but in the Grimoire NieR book....Japan only, or on a Google Doc).

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #107 on: November 26, 2013, 02:51:10 PM »

Ahem tbh, I think the xenosaga Trilogy has a better story than Xenogears. I think the Zero Escape series has the best plot of anything that ever existed so there is that.. That's just me though.

I love the Zero Escape series to bits but don't think I could ever say it had the best story but as mentioned before, it is all subjective. People like different things and what may click for one person, might not interest another that much. That said, I do like the story in 999 and VLR. It is just, they seem pretty convoluted when I look back on them. Similar to how I loved the show Lost but looking back and thinking on episodes, it seems kind of ridiculous.

I like the stories from Nier, Planescape Torment and The Witcher. Then there are pieces of the story from certain games I really enjoy. I love stories where people face their inner demons like in Persona 4 and Z.H.P. Unlosing Ranger.

I like convoluted. I know a lot of people think of that as a negative but I for one don't. If it makes sense within the context of the story and within the rules setup by that universe, Im perfectly ok with it, it also makes my brain go crazy and I like that aswell.

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: November 26, 2013, 03:25:45 PM »

Lost is nothing like Zero Escape, shut yo mouth.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
TiamatNM

tiagol@live.com CursedTiamat
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #109 on: November 26, 2013, 05:53:35 PM »

As for Infinite Space, I wanted to like that game, but it look forever to get going, battles were rediculously slow, and if I recall correctly, I hated the general lack of exploration, but still having to deal with random battles during missions. Probably one of my biggest disappointments as far as RPGs go...

Battles are only slow if you're watching every animation.  If you're tapping the bottom screen to skip animations the combat is very fast.  The game does not have the normal walking around type exploration but you certainly travel a lot.  The story made it feel very explorationy to me ;)
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #110 on: November 26, 2013, 06:40:50 PM »

Maybe I don't remember right, but I just remember going in lots of straight lines and fighting stuff....which would've saved me hours had I known about the scene-skipping feature...

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #111 on: November 27, 2013, 12:49:41 AM »

Away deserves an honorable mention for being clever

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
AuraChannelerChris
The RPG Adventurer

Ultimate RPG Gamer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #112 on: November 27, 2013, 02:08:29 PM »

About that Chrono Trigger mention...

While the Nintendo DS version lacks the anime cutscenes of the PSone,

Excuse me, but the DS DOES have the anime cutscenes.

"(Huh. He's been quiet for a while. I wonder what's he thinking?)" ~Made by yours truly~
Youtube Channel - Current Walkthrough: The Wonderful 101
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #113 on: November 27, 2013, 04:38:54 PM »

Yeah, someone already mentioned. Don't get so hung up in a small detail, as if it matters.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #114 on: November 27, 2013, 07:28:50 PM »

btw, to clarify about my previous comments about not considering visual novels to be games, that's not a statement of my thoughts on whether they're good or not I just think they need to be judged by a radically different set of criteria than you'd judge a game by, because they really live or die by their narrative to a degree that other games don't even come close to.

And to clarify about TWEWY's combat, I liked the stuff with Neku but I thought the top screen game and puck passing were completely pointless and unmanageable.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #115 on: November 27, 2013, 10:59:33 PM »

I actually thought The basic Neku stuff was fairly shallow and boring as hell. It's my biggest complaint with that game. Like, if the Neku stuff was fun on its own, I'd maybe push through to the latter half of the narrative where the story apparently gets a million times better or something, but since that's not the case it's just one of the many reasons why I can't stand it.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #116 on: November 29, 2013, 04:52:29 AM »

I would stay away from a list of "best stories in an RPG" because that is SO subjective.  Nobody could agree on anything.  It would only invite controversy.  The thread for that article would break 100 pages in 90 days. 

...You should start on the article tomorrow. 

That, and most RPG storylines are pretty shitty.

I mean, from an overall media standpoint. Within video game context they're okay.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #117 on: November 29, 2013, 03:47:55 PM »

The thing that bothers me about NieR is that the story is amazing, but I got upset with how much plot was sort of lost and not elaborated on in the game (but in the Grimoire NieR book....Japan only, or on a Google Doc).

Supplemental material is nothing new for Japanese titles. It sucks that most of the time this sort of stuff has to be fan-translated to be enjoyed in the West.

I would stay away from a list of "best stories in an RPG" because that is SO subjective.  Nobody could agree on anything.  It would only invite controversy.  The thread for that article would break 100 pages in 90 days.  

I mean, from an overall media standpoint. Within video game context they're okay.

Nah. The whole deal is really more about how narrative is there mainly (but not strictly) to create context, you can't please everybody in the process and that's always gonna be a thing.

...though, sometimes it gets really bad with how shitty people reacts when their expectations are not meet and take the position that they were "betrayed".
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 04:04:34 PM by Yggdrasil » Logged
CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #118 on: November 29, 2013, 11:51:35 PM »

I just wanted to say that thanks to this thread/feature, I learned there was a sequel to Hotel Dusk never released in NA.  I also learned that I can buy an imported game and play it on my DS since it isn't region locked.  Thanks.  :)

Oh I agree with others that said Rune Factory 3 should be on the list.

Currently Playing:  Brave Story:  New Traveler, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Shivah, Tales of the World:  Radiant Mythology, Thief
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #119 on: November 30, 2013, 02:49:04 AM »

Supplemental material is nothing new for Japanese titles. It sucks that most of the time this sort of stuff has to be fan-translated to be enjoyed in the West.

I would stay away from a list of "best stories in an RPG" because that is SO subjective.  Nobody could agree on anything.  It would only invite controversy.  The thread for that article would break 100 pages in 90 days.  

Nah. The whole deal is really more about how narrative is there mainly (but not strictly) to create context, you can't please everybody in the process and that's always gonna be a thing.

...though, sometimes it gets really bad with how shitty people reacts when their expectations are not meet and take the position that they were "betrayed".

Nope, he's right. Video game story lines are fairly low end on the narrative medium scale.

Hell, just as a case and point, take a look at how magic is treated within RPGs. Most of the time, magic becomes a simple matter of hitting enemies with a bigger stick or the correct one if elements are involved, and the rest is pretty much Healing. Rarely is magic ever treated like anything other than an ever improving collection of Nukes or a more renewable source of Healing, and in those rare cases its usually for fast or other forms of travel or gimmicky purposes. But even rarer is when the matter of having such a mass distribution of destruction or healing is ever reproached. Then there's the matter of the long term effects of being affected by magic, the effects of bungling spells, the use of magic in occupations and how magic affects the need or structure of occupations, the Geo-political effect of a remote village possessing a powerful magical relic, and so on.

And that's just one narrative element. I could write an entire dissertation on the awful and/or lazy writing included in not just RPGs but all video games. Even the best examples currently available aren't really that good when you think about it.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: