Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 22, 2014, 09:15:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341244 Posts in 13945 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  The Bard's Tale.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: The Bard's Tale.  (Read 1296 times)
Britton

View Profile

Ignore
« on: November 01, 2006, 11:46:12 AM »

A few years ago when this came out, my buddy bought it and every time I talked to him on the phone he asked "Did you get The Bard's Tale yet". He constantly praised it. Time went on, I bought many other games because this didn't seem like a game for me. Last week I saw the game (PS2 version. It's also on X Box) for 10 bucks brand new, so I said what the hell and bought it. My buddy was right, it is a great game, even though it doesn't offer too much in terms of originality in the gameplay department. It's a Zelda-esque styled game, mixed with a bit of Balder's Gate dungeon crawling. Your only constant party member is a dog that so far is quite useless except for that he distracts your enemies from time to time. Your "magic" in the game is actually various tunes that you play on your lute, which allows you to summon and control various entities. Warriors to help you fight, witches that heal you and more. I actually like this quite a bit. You don't get experience for every enemy killed, but you do get experience when you accomplish something important, which you can then use points to raise various attributes. The BEST part of the game though is the sense of humor. Cary Elwes, who you may know as Robin from the movie Men In Tights, plays the voice of the Bard. He's quirky, sarcastic and truly funny. You have the ability to give a sincere or snarky reply when talking to NPC's, and this comes into play later on in terms of your reputation. There's also a great narrator that pokes fun at the bard during the game, and vice-versa. It kind of sort of has the same kind of humor as Men In Tights or the old Discworld games. Also, Tommy Talarico did a great voice on the music. There's a lot of different folk music pieces you hear throughout the game, as well as a ton of songs that take place in local bars and even while meandering in the forests. It's definitely worth the 10 bucks they are now asking for it. The battle system may be lacking for some, but I find myself wanting to constantly play the game just to see what crazy thing the Bard does or says next.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2006, 03:05:29 PM »

I played the original series some, although I always go for Dragon WArs and Wasteland if given the option. Heard the new one wasn't very good, though.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Marona

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2006, 04:00:40 AM »

This was a fun game to watch a friend play one weekend, I chuckled many times. Its one of those games that are better watched while your doing else more productive at the same time.
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2006, 11:45:47 AM »

I thought the game was hilarious, though the difficulty was such that I still haven't gotten around to finishing it. :p

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2006, 12:11:53 PM »

Same here Ryos.  Though I loved the humor, I never finished it.  I gave it to my friend instead who loved the game and would come to talk to me about it almost every day he played it.

Currently Playing:  Brave Story:  New Traveler, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Shivah, Tales of the World:  Radiant Mythology, Thief
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: