Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2014, 09:22:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319240 Posts in 13035 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Eragon
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Eragon  (Read 3321 times)
ZE GRAND MASTER

Don't Make Me "Self-Defense" You

View Profile

Ignore
« on: November 05, 2006, 04:34:04 PM »

Trailer(s) on Apple.com

It's looking ever more likely that this movie might actually be quite good, considering the lengths they've gone to make it as accurate to the book as possible - yes, the magic and weapons do look pretty much look exactly as they're supposed to. The only things I know about it are the trailers and the limited amount of information on the website, so that's not a great deal. But having just read the book means theres quite a lot I can tell from two 3-minute trailers. More on this soon...
Logick

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2006, 01:44:15 PM »

Book 1 is ok but not movie worthy book, book 2 is a 700 page dog poop.

I hope the movie is an improvement of the book

(yes I didn't read the post full my bad)

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing."
~Malcolm X
Degolas

sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2006, 01:58:47 PM »

He says in his post that he just read the book :P

I'm not bothered personally, it's only being made because the studio is trying to find the next big money-making franchise. The poster for the film admits the fact, saying something along the lines of 'The Next Great Fantasy Epic.'

I had a stupid dream
that I could change things.

Check out my YouTube videos!: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Degolas
everluck

stay positive!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2006, 10:48:38 PM »

The first book was totally generic and predictable, 100%. Paulini isn't an especially gifted writer... he's just patient. Nothing he's done has been particularly creative. Half the things in Eragon were ripped or adapted from Lord of the Rings.

I stopped reading Eldest before I even got through a third of it. Boring.

I won't be going to see the movie. It's all fine and dandy that they made it as faithful to the source material as possible, but that doesn't make a difference when the source material is crap.

[/url]
ZE GRAND MASTER

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2006, 05:26:44 PM »

The guy was like 15 when he started writing it, so its not that surprising that it copies stuff from Lord of the Rings and every other fantasy book ever written. And yeah, he's not that experienced a writer, so the book is unnecessarily long and boring - but isn't that the same with Lord of the Rings?

I was merely trying to say that they might have put some effort into making a good movie, regardless of the quality of the source material. I know the book wasn't that good, but I think the movie might not be just a cash-in, like say The Da Vinci Code. You never know, it might not be terrible...
Degolas

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2006, 05:54:33 AM »

Quote from: "ZE GRAND MASTER"
And yeah, he's not that experienced a writer, so the book is unnecessarily long and boring - but isn't that the same with Lord of the Rings?

Hey, HEY! Let's not say things we can't take back!

I had a stupid dream

ZE GRAND MASTER

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2006, 05:23:48 PM »

Just for the record, LOTR isn't exactly boring, it's just very, very long and there are at least 100 pages in each book where Frodo, Aragorn and co. travel so many leagues through the pass of wherever that don't really add to the plot. I know it adds to the world of Middle-Earth, but they're just not that interesting most of the time. And Tolkien writes in a way that everyone else stopped doing 50 years earlier. I'm not implying that it's boring, just very thorough.

Now that's taken care of, I'd like to point out that if we ignore the fact this movie is based on Eragon, it looks like it might be at least half-decent. All the actors who are in it seem (for the most part) suited to the roles, for instance. The guy they've got to play Eragon (Ed Speelers) looks and sounds exactly like the obligatory Annoying Teenage Lead, John Malkovich looks like he can do the cliched big bad guy thing perfectly well, and Garrett Hedlund (Murtagh) played the exact same part in Four Brothers - a whiny teenager - and seems to be very good at doing an evil look.

As for the others... I can't really comment on Sienna Guillory, having never actually seen her in anything, but it looks like she's been the female lead in quite a few films/tv programmes so that probably means she's quite good then. Jeremy Irons as Brom should be...interesting, as the roles he's had in Fantasy films have always been the token English bad guy so he might get chance to do some acting here, and he is rather good at that. I'll take Robert Carlyle's role as an insane terrorist in the World is Not Enough as a reason to think he'll be good as Durza, as well as the fact he's a good actor anyway. Gary Lewis has been very good in everything i've seen him in, but i don't know if he'll be good as a dwarven king - and plus he's too blond to be a dwarf, they all have to be dark-haired :P.
ZE GRAND MASTER

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2006, 04:53:04 PM »

Note: the movie is apparently complete shit, and I'm not at all surprised. Jonathon Ross's review of it, from the bits it showed on Film 2006, is entirely accurate. I didn't think it was possible to make the book's already cliche dialogue even worse, but looks like i was wrong. And the acting...let's not even mention that... So yes, I was a bit optimistic in thinking this could actually be even an okay movie. Even the book with it's blatant teenage fanboyism wasn't this bad - the few good bits underneath all the cliches and the lack of any female characters were most certainly lost in among the 2-hour special effect showoff that this film no doubt is. I'll pretend I didn't write the previous post, i think...

Here's something you all should learn: Any film about dragons that has Jeremy Irons in it is always crap.

Edit: I wondered why there was almost no dialogue in the trailers... :P
CastNuri
AMG A GIRL

There are no coincidences.

CastNuri
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2006, 03:41:42 AM »

...and I was just about to go out and buy tickets for this film. :P

Will probably watch it anyway, if my brother goes and needs company.

"It is a silly game where nobody wins. " ~ Thomas Fuller ~

http://castnuri.tumblr.com
Degolas

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2006, 07:17:14 AM »

I have no need to go and see it, nor read the book. My Dad produced the audio-book version, and when I was home on the weekend, every time we went past a film poster he told me what happens to the character being shown. It was amusing :P

Also, I saw the full-length trailer, and it does indeed look shit.

I had a stupid dream

ZE GRAND MASTER

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2006, 03:55:56 PM »

I certainly see what you mean there, Deg.
Merkava

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2006, 06:59:23 PM »

Quote from: "ZE GRAND MASTER"

Here's something you all should learn: Any film about dragons that has Jeremy Irons in it is always crap.

Edit: I wondered why there was almost no dialogue in the trailers... :P

I'll take that as NOT a shot at Jeremy Irons, since he's a great actor. I say any movie with dragons not made by Peter Jackson will become the rule of thumb for suck. :P
Lyonaz

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2006, 04:06:52 PM »

Quote from: "Merkava"

I say any movie with dragons not made by Peter Jackson will become the rule of thumb for suck. :P

Boo at you, "Dragonslayer" is an awesome movie! =P
CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2006, 05:02:36 PM »

I agree Lyonaz, Dragonslayer is a really good movie.  The Neverending Story is also one of my favorites.

Currently Playing:  Fate/Extra, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Thief
Lucid

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2006, 10:09:05 PM »

I thought Dragonslayer was decent because it seemed like it wasn't taking itself too seriously. Eragon on the other hand looks like a wannabe epic, that would fit in perfectly with the kind of B movies in mst3k.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: