Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 03:20:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334802 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  The Soundroom
| | |-+  Best Indian (Tamil) Song in awhile...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Best Indian (Tamil) Song in awhile...  (Read 945 times)
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« on: November 18, 2006, 02:09:01 AM »

Now, everyone heard of Daler Mhendi's "Tunak Tunak Tun."

Ladies and gentlement, have you seen Prabhu Deva's "Kalluri Vaanil"? If not, you need to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRmqZRPgK1w&mode=related&search=

The bits of research I've done on Indian pop, particularly that from this guy's publisher (Ayngaran), this is apparently pretty typical stuff. Male/female duo doing crazy dances and singing crazy stuff to a hyped up beat.

I...LOVE...this!

I just think there's something special behind it that goes beyond that shallowness of pop culture. Maybe I'm just looking for something that's not there, but to me it's a quick look at how mezmerizing something foreign can be.

Watch it.

Ramza

Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2006, 09:38:19 AM »

This is a pretty typical indi-pop "filmi" song.  Indian movies, typically those produced in Bollywood and Chennai.  Catchy, colorful, filled with loads of dancing in beautiful mountainous locations.... oh yeah!  It's formulaic, but why mess with a good thing?  People eat that stuff up.  

See, the thing with Bollywood movies is that they're all about escapism.  Who cares if it makes no sense, as long as there's lots of colorful song-and-dance numbers, pretty people, fight scenes, boy and girl running around a tree...  Let's face it, real life in India isn't pretty.  There's filth, corruption, hardship, all that, so the people go to the movies for that ultimate escapist fantasy.

Pat- you have to see the movie Bollywood Calling.  Excellent movie about an American actor who gets a part in a Bollywood film.  

(However, in Kerala- a Malayalam speaking state in southern India, their filmmakers specialize in the dark, gritty, award-winning films that talk about the filth, corruption, hardship, and the dark side of Indian life that people don't want to see/be reminded of.)

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: