Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 03, 2014, 03:32:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330207 Posts in 13529 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Final Fantasy VI announced for iOS/Android
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 Print
Author Topic: Final Fantasy VI announced for iOS/Android  (Read 12601 times)
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #135 on: January 17, 2014, 10:03:34 PM »

Ramuh Ramuh looks like a purple Tribble.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #136 on: January 17, 2014, 11:24:09 PM »

That's Terra after flipping out of bed.

Ramuh Ramuh is the old guy sitting in the chair.

And now that I can see this, I can't unsee it seeing Tritoch against that background looks incredibly weird. Sure they've upscaled him and smoothed him out, but he still looks like a .JPG ripped from some neitherwhere of the Internet and shoved haphazardly into a Flash game. And then there's Terra's utters. She would have to be seriously stacked to have that rack given the rest of her proportions (that or she's gained a new "Breast Missile" attack in her alt mode now).

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #137 on: January 17, 2014, 11:42:47 PM »

Star Trek.

omg, is this version for real?  I honestly think they just hired a bunch of amateur game designers, like through a Square Enix apprenticeship program and ran with it.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #138 on: January 18, 2014, 11:30:28 AM »

It looks like it has been, but it might just be using the GBA translation (which is fine).  Look at the screens. Siliconera also has a comparison of the old translation and the new one.  And, a few pages ago, there was a typo found.

Judging from the shots thus far, I was under the impression that they're using the original translation, but with an added dash of shoddy effort to indicate that this is a mobile affair.

So I take that the translation (as well as the quality of this version of VI) is a mixed bag by what people is saying.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #139 on: January 18, 2014, 12:17:39 PM »

No, Woolsey's version was great unless you're a pleb that cares about Terra not being named Cyndi Lauper or whatever.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #140 on: January 18, 2014, 01:36:17 PM »

No, Woolsey's version was great unless you're a pleb that cares about Terra not being named Cyndi Lauper or whatever.

Cut the crap Mesh. The quality of the translation and the consistency it has with the original script in an RPG is fairly important.
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #141 on: January 18, 2014, 01:52:54 PM »

It was Tina xD

PrismFlux
Contributing Editor

Destroy the Facade

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #142 on: January 18, 2014, 02:57:14 PM »

Cut the crap Mesh. The quality of the translation and the consistency it has with the original script in an RPG is fairly important.

While generally I agree with you, I must also submit the counterpoint that many of the most memorable moments in gaming history are due to terrible translation. Sometimes I find myself missing the days when abilities had to have stupid names because the character limit was much more forgiving to the Japanese Kanji than it was for English letters. In my opinion translation is only really good when it's either high quality, or very low quality--the middle ground kinda sucks.
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #143 on: January 18, 2014, 04:27:58 PM »

While generally I agree with you, I must also submit the counterpoint that many of the most memorable moments in gaming history are due to terrible translation. Sometimes I find myself missing the days when abilities had to have stupid names because the character limit was much more forgiving to the Japanese Kanji than it was for English letters. In my opinion translation is only really good when it's either high quality, or very low quality--the middle ground kinda sucks.

The more I think about this, the more I agree.
I give a world of credit to DeJap's translation of Tales of Phantasia for the SNES.  The original game was really dry, so there wasn't much missed in ruining the integrity of the original script.

Plus, we get memorable quotes like this:

On the other end, a title like Trails in the Sky probably would have been a LOT worse to play if the translation wasn't so well done and the narrative and characters felt so alive.

EDIT: for the record, i think the name "terra" is more, um, important[?] and lovely sounding than Tina... who is a girl i hated in school >:(
we do miss the Celes-tina name combo though...
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 06:00:28 PM by Dice » Logged

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #144 on: January 18, 2014, 06:59:12 PM »

@Dice:

I'm of the impression that the original scripts for FFVI and CT were also really dry. They've both had various fan retranslations at points which were purporting to be more accurate, and they were all quite terrible. Maybe it was the new translation and not the original scripts that had the issues -- I don't know -- but they were advertising /accuracy/ above all and I didn't see anything that would make me doubt they were doing that.

And just from a readability standpoint, Woolsey's scripts for FFVI and CT were /leagues/ better than what most games during the 16-bit era and a good chunk of the 32-bit era got.

Also you have a goddamn octopus as a recurring villain in FFVI you can't blame all the goofiness on the Woolseyisms.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Aurian

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #145 on: January 18, 2014, 09:00:17 PM »

Terra sounds more fantasy-ish anyways vs. Tina, who makes me think of some cheerleader or something.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #146 on: January 18, 2014, 09:15:47 PM »

And honestly, how many people would've gotten the reference to begin with (and I'm not talking about back when we were naught but young whippersnappers, but the game-playing populace in general given the lack of a reliable Internet)?

Doesn't help that Tina was blonde in the JP version.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 19, 2014, 01:57:42 AM »

You mean the Amano artwork. She was always green haired otherwise, heck they had chibi art of her right on the back of the Japanese box with green hair.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #148 on: January 19, 2014, 01:09:48 PM »

You mean the Amano artwork. She was always green haired otherwise, heck they had chibi art of her right on the back of the Japanese box with green hair.

I'm pretty sure that type of artwork is made to represent her visual design in the game itself. Her official design has always had blonde hair (outside of a piece from Final Fantasy VI Advance where you can see her with brown hair).

It must be the similar case of why Link's hair is pink in A Link to the Past for Terra/Tina's hair to be green in Final Fantasy VI.
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #149 on: January 19, 2014, 01:43:59 PM »

Everything Amano makes is blond. The guy has a clear fetish.
The sprite guys knew that it would be way too confusing and added actual hair colors to differentiate the characters.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: