Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 21, 2014, 10:47:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319313 Posts in 13037 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Final Fantasy VI announced for iOS/Android
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 Print
Author Topic: Final Fantasy VI announced for iOS/Android  (Read 7134 times)
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #150 on: January 19, 2014, 01:59:01 PM »

Everything Amano makes is blond. The guy has a clear fetish.

And Akihiko Yoshida has a thing with thighs, and Tetsuya Nomura with stylized clothing. Every artist has a sensibility towards something in particular, that's hardly something to make a big deal out of.
Annubis
Image is from Magical Diary. It's the Deus Ex of VN/Dating sim

Voted most likely to become an evil dictator

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #151 on: January 19, 2014, 02:24:23 PM »

And Akihiko Yoshida has a thing with thighs, and Tetsuya Nomura with stylized clothing. Every artist has a sensibility towards something in particular, that's hardly something to make a big deal out of.

Who said I was making a big deal out of it?
I'm just saying that with a low palette, they just couldn't afford to make everyone blonde.
Klyde Chroma
Novice Bulimic in training.

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #152 on: January 19, 2014, 03:23:43 PM »

Nomura's clothing disturbs me enough to bitch about it. Blonde and overtly blonde I can take. Thighs are fine. But Normura's space-balls style of dress up is just too left field for me.

I can appreciate the aesthetic of his style well enough, I'm not saying he is a poor artist. Far from it actually. In fact there are innumerable artists that I think are fabulous in their own respects. The fact alone that an artist can render beautiful art does not, in my opinion, translate well into every setting and RPG.

It is a purely subjective matter. Not an argument anyone can win really. All I am saying, while the subject is on the table, is I can really see how Nomura's style (being so different) can prove either a real draw, or turn off depending on both the setting/game in question as well as the given gamers tastes.

Whenever I see any Normura character/clothing/setting I feel like I am viewing a super-deformed sci-fi, hip-hop circus. Cool to look at. I would probably love it in an anime or movie. But I don't like sci-fi and have no particular affinity for the circus nor hip-hop and it greatly inhibits immersion for me.

Truly I would take 16-bit sprites, that leave more to my imagination, than a Nomura-heavy visual influence in my RPG's.

this signature is Blace's fault...
Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #153 on: January 19, 2014, 04:38:47 PM »

That's a bit of an exaggeration, Klyde.  Nomura's Parasite Eve designs are probably some of the most normal designs you'll see in a JRPG.  Or even modern-setting western RPGs.  Eve being the clear exception because that's how she's supposed to be.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #154 on: January 19, 2014, 04:47:57 PM »

That's a bit of an exaggeration, Klyde.  Nomura's Parasite Eve designs are probably some of the most normal designs you'll see in a JRPG.  Or even modern-setting western RPGs.  Eve being the clear exception because that's how she's supposed to be.

Yeah but then you get the rest of his catalogue...  I like Nomura's early stuff a lot, and I think he started off as a great artist for the company.  I also think the guy is kind of out of practice these days since he's focusing on other parts of the company (the way he draws muscles is particularly funny/weird...and fucking hell, why is his Dissidia version of Terra starving to death?  You can't be hot unless your ribs are protruding out of your chest? :S ).

Whenever I see any Normura character/clothing/setting I feel like I am viewing a super-deformed sci-fi, hip-hop circus. 

I laughed at hip-hop circus xD

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #155 on: January 19, 2014, 06:03:01 PM »

@Dice: Terra has the physique of a young Japanense woman as far as I can tell.
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #156 on: January 19, 2014, 06:10:52 PM »

@Dice: Terra has the physique of a young Japanense woman as far as I can tell.

Giant head and all?
Also, I think there's a difference between emaciation and simply being petite.  Rib protrusion is not a good sign.

Klyde Chroma
Novice Bulimic in training.

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #157 on: January 19, 2014, 06:47:55 PM »

I should have been more specific earlier.... I stand corrected. Not all of Nomura's work looks space-ballsey.

It seems to me that the space-balls style is more commonly present in games where Nomura is credited with having greater visual influence. Final Fantasy X, Musashi, The World Ends With You, Kingdom hearts and a few others all fall into this category.

Parasite Eve, FF7 (to a point...), his monster designs and some of his other work is perfectly fine to me.

I agree with Dice in the respect that it seems his earlier work is more to my liking. Whether that is because he had less creative control or his style changed/evolved I don't know...

What I should have said earlier was something more along the lines of when the Nomura signature "sci-circus from the hood" style is present, it bothers the heck out of me.

I will also reiterate my point that I don't in fact think Nomura is a bad artist by any stretch. A great deal of what he does is just in direct contrast to my own personal taste is all.

this signature is Blace's fault...
Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #158 on: January 19, 2014, 07:10:23 PM »

Giant head and all?
Also, I think there's a difference between emaciation and simply being petite.  Rib protrusion is not a good sign.

...dunno. I never thought about it from that point of view.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #159 on: January 19, 2014, 10:22:31 PM »

why is his Dissidia version of Terra starving to death?

Yeah it's not like the world is reduced to an inhospitable wasteland with nothing to eat except like toxic goddamn fish at the end of FFVI or anything :VVVVVvvvVvV\/

btw I love any pic Amano did with Cloud and Red XIII because it's Calvin and Hobbesy as hell :3

Man I wonder how the FFVII modding scene is doing now. I'd think the Steam release would've revitalized that. There were some really promising rebalance projects in the works from what I remember, centered around the older PC version.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #160 on: January 19, 2014, 11:06:16 PM »

Giant head and all?

Also, those boots. Those look like fantasy clown shoes and must be impossible to move in. Nevermind her sword, which looks like it couldn't even be pulled from its own scabbard without breaking (at least her expression matches the way she's holding that sword ).

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #161 on: January 19, 2014, 11:10:42 PM »

Giant head and all?

Also, those boots. Those look like fantasy clown shoes and must be impossible to move in. Nevermind her sword, which looks like it couldn't even be pulled from its own scabbard without breaking (at least her expression matches the way she's holding that sword ).

Actually, you just made me realize that in that image she's holding her sword, but it's also still sheathed.
#PARADOX

My incredibly adorable avatar was provided by our one and only Dice!
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #162 on: January 20, 2014, 12:43:26 AM »

Giant head and all?

Actually, you just made me realize that in that image she's holding her sword, but it's also still sheathed.
#PARADOX

Pssh.  Novice.  OBVIOUSLY she's wearing some Genji Gloves and !DualWielding that shizzzz.

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #163 on: January 20, 2014, 01:34:59 AM »

For a moment I forgot you guys like to nitpick the shit out of everything. I don't see the details you guys are talking about in the same light, and I can't argue for a prolonged period of time without making someone feeling sort of salty in the process so... here's chibi Terra as a sign of peace.

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #164 on: January 20, 2014, 03:40:08 AM »

* breathing intensifies *
                                           \
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 03:43:01 AM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: