Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 31, 2014, 06:03:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327904 Posts in 13425 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Final Fantasy VI announced for iOS/Android
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 Print
Author Topic: Final Fantasy VI announced for iOS/Android  (Read 10922 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: January 20, 2014, 04:04:30 AM »

Doesn't help that Tina was blonde in the JP version.

You mean the Amano artwork. She was always green haired otherwise, heck they had chibi art of her right on the back of the Japanese box with green hair.

I'm pretty sure that type of artwork is made to represent her visual design in the game itself. Her official design has always had blonde hair (outside of a piece from Final Fantasy VI Advance where you can see her with brown hair).

It must be the similar case of why Link's hair is pink in A Link to the Past for Terra/Tina's hair to be green in Final Fantasy VI.

I mainly pointed out because with him saying the "JP version" that made it sound as if he thought it was a change in localization when it clearly wasn't, and if anything you'd have characters being changed from exotic colors (or all black) to BLONDE as Raw Danger readily showed.

Even with the excuse of being "JP version" in that it's the game's artwork, well, a lot of that actually WAS shown here, printed in Nintendo Power, printed in the strategy guide... knowing the Terra was blonde in the artwork absolutely some weird thing only the Japanese saw, but anyone that followed Nintendo or wanted the strategy guide. I do think that they may have corrected the colors on Locke's clothes though as I swear that matched with his in-game stuff in NP/the strategy guide, but I may be misremembering.

Yeah but then you get the rest of his catalogue...  I like Nomura's early stuff a lot, and I think he started off as a great artist for the company.  I also think the guy is kind of out of practice these days since he's focusing on other parts of the company (the way he draws muscles is particularly funny/weird...and fucking hell, why is his Dissidia version of Terra starving to death?  You can't be hot unless your ribs are protruding out of your chest? :S ).

Obviously starving both of them to get them in a suitably bad, sour mood for the game. Cloud was far more legitimately emo in Dissidia than he was in most of FFVII, and he just had a full on breakdown when there was cause for it, and I recall Terra being pretty meek throughout and I don't recall her being that bad in VI (though that was always a much longer time ago, and not played when I'd be attentive to that like replaying FFVII after seemingly the whole internet pegged him as an emo.)
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #166 on: January 20, 2014, 09:47:25 AM »

For a moment I forgot you guys like to nitpick the shit out of everything. I don't see the details you guys are talking about in the same light, and I can't argue for a prolonged period of time without making someone feeling sort of salty in the process so... here's chibi Terra as a sign of peace.

Maybe I'm speaking for myself here:
But we're discussing.  I doubt a lot of this matters in the end (well, the graphical clash and ugly-ass sprites of the iOS version sure are something to nitpick about); but we still love the title.  We just enjoy making commentary or throwing around different conversations (like the hair-colour talk right now).  
You read into our messages too much or throw a "negative tone" in them when forum-based messaging doesn't have one to begin with.  And if we just toss around how "great" everything is, why discuss it at all?

* breathing intensifies *
                                           \

I laughed. xD

Doesn't help that Tina was blonde in the JP version.

You mean the Amano artwork. She was always green haired otherwise, heck they had chibi art of her right on the back of the Japanese box with green hair.

I'm pretty sure that type of artwork is made to represent her visual design in the game itself. Her official design has always had blonde hair (outside of a piece from Final Fantasy VI Advance where you can see her with brown hair).

It must be the similar case of why Link's hair is pink in A Link to the Past for Terra/Tina's hair to be green in Final Fantasy VI.

I mainly pointed out because with him saying the "JP version" that made it sound as if he thought it was a change in localization when it clearly wasn't, and if anything you'd have characters being changed from exotic colors (or all black) to BLONDE as Raw Danger readily showed.

Even with the excuse of being "JP version" in that it's the game's artwork, well, a lot of that actually WAS shown here, printed in Nintendo Power, printed in the strategy guide... knowing the Terra was blonde in the artwork absolutely some weird thing only the Japanese saw, but anyone that followed Nintendo or wanted the strategy guide. I do think that they may have corrected the colors on Locke's clothes though as I swear that matched with his in-game stuff in NP/the strategy guide, but I may be misremembering.

Yeah but then you get the rest of his catalogue...  I like Nomura's early stuff a lot, and I think he started off as a great artist for the company.  I also think the guy is kind of out of practice these days since he's focusing on other parts of the company (the way he draws muscles is particularly funny/weird...and fucking hell, why is his Dissidia version of Terra starving to death?  You can't be hot unless your ribs are protruding out of your chest? :S ).

Obviously starving both of them to get them in a suitably bad, sour mood for the game. Cloud was far more legitimately emo in Dissidia than he was in most of FFVII, and he just had a full on breakdown when there was cause for it, and I recall Terra being pretty meek throughout and I don't recall her being that bad in VI (though that was always a much longer time ago, and not played when I'd be attentive to that like replaying FFVII after seemingly the whole internet pegged him as an emo.)

Dissidia's story was sort of an exaggeration of the known character personas.
The question of Terra's hair also gets more complicated when looking at Dissidia's version of her (the blonde) and her Threarhythm version (green).  It's like they're deliberately addressing sprite and normal-proportion differences (but then Faris got slapped with blonde hair instead of her purple).
GODDAMMIT I GIVE UP.

While we're talking about the artwork discrepancies: was there any reason for the vast differences seen in Celes' bathing suit & cape sprite and her yellow-spandex Amano outfit?  That one weirds me out the most.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 09:49:54 AM by Dice » Logged

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #167 on: January 20, 2014, 09:51:56 AM »

I'm not all that imaginative, but I'd think that a yellow spandex outfit on a sprite would look a little too close to just a nude sprite. No idea where the cape enters the picture, though.

My incredibly adorable avatar was provided by our one and only Dice!
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #168 on: January 20, 2014, 10:10:22 AM »

The question of Terra's hair also gets more complicated when looking at Dissidia's version of her (the blonde) and her Threarhythm version (green).  It's like they're deliberately addressing sprite and normal-proportion differences (but then Faris got slapped with blonde hair instead of her purple).

Ok, I never played Dissidia, but...
I know Terra had white and green hair because of alt costumes. Did they not do something similar for Faris? (would seem logical)

While we're talking about the artwork discrepancies: was there any reason for the vast differences seen in Celes' bathing suit & cape sprite and her yellow-spandex Amano outfit?  That one weirds me out the most.

First 3 costumes are based on relevant official art (#1 and #3)... and then there's the last one which seems to come out of nowhere.

http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/153/e/6/dissidia__celes_chere_costumes_by_isaiahjordan-d51zejn.png
(Clicky, it's way too big for the forum)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 10:17:27 AM by Annubis » Logged
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #169 on: January 20, 2014, 10:23:09 AM »

Well Rosa wasn't going to wear it, so somebody had to get roped into it.

Also, capes. Capes EVERYWHERE.

As for my previous statement about Terra's/Tina's hair colour. I was aware of the discrepancies between the original art and the in-game sprites, but I wasn't aware of the source of those discrepancies (there was editing done to enemy and summon sprites and the like for the US version, but apparently what I recalled in regards to the matter of the characters' sprites was probably yet another Dissida retcon as the time frame from when I heard it was around the same time as one of those games had been released; in fact that may have been mentioned by Siliconera when they were covering Terra's/Tina's pallet swap/alternate costume since I had yet to find Gematsu and Andriasang didn't weigh in on the matter back then).

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #170 on: January 20, 2014, 10:27:39 AM »

Terra/Faris/Warrior of Light etc in Dissidia had alternate costumes that were made to look as close to their original sprites as possible. Take it for what Dissidia as a whole was; it was just fanservice cover to cover.

Also, wasn't Nomura the guy who did the sprite work in FF6, that just makes it weirder that they can't keep Terra's hair consistent when it's been the same guy that made the sprite and then draw new art for her. As far as the Dissdia art goes though, I actually really liked Nomura's work in it because he wasn't actually creating designs. You can find fault in how he proportions human forms but I like his art when he isn't allowed to go apeshit and put buckles on every single thing.
Annubis

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #171 on: January 20, 2014, 10:32:11 AM »

go apeshit and put buckles on every single thing.

Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #172 on: January 20, 2014, 10:32:58 AM »

^That is not even close to the worst Nomura has done in terms of slathering everything in belts and zippers.

Also, wasn't Nomura the guy who did the sprite work in FF6, that just makes it weirder that they can't keep Terra's hair consistent when it's been the same guy that made the sprite and then draw new art for her. As far as the Dissdia art goes though, I actually really liked Nomura's work in it because he wasn't actually creating designs. You can find fault in how he proportions human forms but I like his art when he isn't allowed to go apeshit and put buckles on every single thing.

Nomura's only contribution to FFVI character-wise that I'm aware of is Setzer's design (which was then strained through the Amano filter). I don't recall him having anything to do with the sprites themselves though.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #173 on: January 20, 2014, 02:05:48 PM »

Major glitch found freezing the device:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/734975-final-fantasy-vi/68364266
Code:
General Leo lives!  Technically.... glitchally.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Annubis

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #174 on: January 20, 2014, 02:43:35 PM »

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.square_enix.android_googleplay.FFVI
The following bugs have been confirmed and fixes are forthcoming:
- The game no longer crashes during the cutscene showing the fight between Kefka and General Leo.
- The icon for Sabin's Blitz ability now displays correctly.
- A misspelling of the term "Esper" has been corrected.

Or so they say at least.
(Also... what about Ramuh Ramuh?)
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #175 on: January 20, 2014, 02:46:19 PM »

My grandfather was named Robert Robertson, maybe Ramuh has a similar name. Don't be  h8r.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #176 on: January 20, 2014, 03:22:02 PM »

Ramuh Ramuhstein?
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #177 on: January 20, 2014, 04:17:56 PM »

Ramuh Ramuhstein?

Ramuh McDamuh?

You want Lightning Fries with that?

Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

Lieutenant Commander Vacation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #178 on: January 20, 2014, 07:33:23 PM »

And there was Ragu Ragla in Wild Arms.  Although I sometimes would spell it Ragu Ragula. 

"Immortality is a manga artist without deadlines.  Without deadlines, the manga artist will never get the job done."
   -Battle Angel Alita: Last Order, Phase 58
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #179 on: January 20, 2014, 09:08:40 PM »

Also goddammit: http://i.imgur.com/D5sZInG.png

(Top of the curtains. That's tiled very wrong).
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 09:41:18 PM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: