Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 04, 2016, 12:22:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Check out the latest RPG news!
237206 Posts in 7075 Topics by 2350 Members
Latest Member: octorick
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Game Journals
| | |-+  A Game Journal Reborn
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 338 339 [340] Print
Author Topic: A Game Journal Reborn  (Read 398622 times)
Klyde Chroma
LVL. 44 Scratch ticket Ninja

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5085 on: May 02, 2016, 05:39:49 PM »

Persona 2: Eternal Punishment and Chrono Cross had a baby and it still has the bright optimism of childhood

Totally sold me with that statement. In truth, you sold me on this title with your updates here like 2 weeks ago. I appreciate this because I'm certain I'd never have even so much as looked if not for your coverage.

Not opposed to digimon per se', I've just never been a huge fan of "catch em all" mechanics and I've absolutely no familiarity with the source material in this case.

Not gonna be getting to it immediately because post Disgaea 5 (finally at the end, 71 hr in) I'm really feeling some old, sprite based, fantasy, with a world map (maybe a GBA title of import S. Famicom??). But rest assured good sir, when I pick up the sleuth it will be a result of your good direction.

On that note Din, if you've got the time I'd love to hear if you've got personal advice on GBA titles, Super Famicom imports, or RPGMaker titles available via steam as I've really never explored any of those 3 libraries aside from Romancing Saga and Seiken Densestsu 3. I know your a busy dude here on the Fan' but two or three springtimes ago the best gaming of my adult life was due to your nudging me into P2 so I'd feel remiss if I didn't inquire :)

Maybe half of this should have been a PM?

Regardless, anyone else wanna throw their two sense in on GBA, Super Fam. or RPGmaker titles with a mondo 90's fantasy vibe feel free (it'd be appreciated)

EDIT: Outside of those categories I'm also really enticed to give Lufia or Lufia 2 a go. I know 2 is pre-quel and the better regarded of the 2 but it is really worth just skipping the first altogether?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 05:45:11 PM by Klyde Chroma » Logged

We will never know world peace until 3 people can simultaneously look each other in the eye.

Dincrest
Analogy spouting
RPGFan Editor

I approve of this nonsense!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5086 on: May 02, 2016, 06:57:22 PM »

If I were to review Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth, my review would echo Tooker's.  The only thing I would add is that playing as the girl doesn't change the script and the game still presumes you're a boy, leading to some awkward scenes.  You only need a passing familiarity with Digimon to enjoy it, because its storyline is completely different from any manga, anime, movie, etc.  And the "catch 'em all" mechanics felt more like Persona 2.  I should probably mention that on normal mode, the game is skewed easy; though the final boss's final form was challenging and the DLC sidequests are tough.  

As far as RPGM titles on Steam go, I like Aldorlea's Millennium series.  Heck, that got RPGFan's indie RPG award back in '09 I think.  I also remember really liking Skyborn.  I've only played the first game in the Lilly & Sasha trilogy, but I liked it.  Whisper of a Rose was quite good, though the difficulty balance wasn't great.  I haven't played it yet, but Celestial Tear: Demon's Revenge looks pretty cool.  

Oh, and if you haven't played it yet, you HAVE to play To The Moon.  That's one of the few games I've EC'd and it is one of only a handful of games that made me shed legit tears.  And my favorite RPGM RPG was Blossomsoft's Eternal Eden.  http://www.blossomsoft.com/  Blossomsoft's friends created the game Dark Blood Chronicle has lovely dark artwork, but its difficulty balance can be iffy.  

And though not RPGM, I did enjoy the demo to Celestian Tales: Old North: http://www.ekuatorgames.com/prototype/

Another indie title I'm interested in is Indivisible.  The demo was the best thing I played last year.  It plays a lot like Valkyrie Profile and the art is sumptuous. http://www.indivisiblegame.com/ 

As far as Super Famicom imports go, I love Bahamut Lagoon.  It's one of my favorite SRPGs, and I'm not the biggest fan of that genre.  I loved Tales of Phantasia.  And though I've never played one, I really want to play Tengai Makyou.  I know for sure you'll be interested in Tengai Makyou for its art alone.  A buddy of mine is a big fan of the Goemon games.  
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 07:34:45 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Games I've given Editor's Choice to:
Ever 17, Hourglass of Summer, Anachronox, Persona PSP, Radiant Historia, To The Moon, Revolution 60
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5087 on: May 02, 2016, 08:29:05 PM »

Persona 2: Eternal Punishment and Chrono Cross had a baby and it still has the bright optimism of childhood

Totally sold me with that statement. In truth, you sold me on this title with your updates here like 2 weeks ago. I appreciate this because I'm certain I'd never have even so much as looked if not for your coverage.

Not opposed to digimon per se', I've just never been a huge fan of "catch em all" mechanics and I've absolutely no familiarity with the source material in this case.

Not gonna be getting to it immediately because post Disgaea 5 (finally at the end, 71 hr in) I'm really feeling some old, sprite based, fantasy, with a world map (maybe a GBA title of import S. Famicom??). But rest assured good sir, when I pick up the sleuth it will be a result of your good direction.

On that note Din, if you've got the time I'd love to hear if you've got personal advice on GBA titles, Super Famicom imports, or RPGMaker titles available via steam as I've really never explored any of those 3 libraries aside from Romancing Saga and Seiken Densestsu 3. I know your a busy dude here on the Fan' but two or three springtimes ago the best gaming of my adult life was due to your nudging me into P2 so I'd feel remiss if I didn't inquire :)

Maybe half of this should have been a PM?

Regardless, anyone else wanna throw their two sense in on GBA, Super Fam. or RPGmaker titles with a mondo 90's fantasy vibe feel free (it'd be appreciated)

EDIT: Outside of those categories I'm also really enticed to give Lufia or Lufia 2 a go. I know 2 is pre-quel and the better regarded of the 2 but it is really worth just skipping the first altogether?

The only reason to play Lufia 1 over Lufia 2 is because going back to Lufia 1 right after Lufia 2 will be painful. Lufia 1 was considered old by the end of the SuperNES era, let alone now. And the plot past Lufia 2 isn't worth it either since Lufia 1 has exactly one worthwhile twist to it and both 1 and 2 will let you experience the finale of 2/opening of 1, plus Lufia 3's plot is both the most Shonen plot and also threadbare. That said, there's a lot of filler that goes down in Lufia 2. Fortunately, most of that time will be spent playing through all those puzzle dungeons, but it takes roughly half the game to bring down even one Sinistral, let alone all 4 of them. Still, it has some great moments and the music is fantastic.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5088 on: May 02, 2016, 10:17:46 PM »

@CC: There's some... really, really interesting story parallels between it and Mother 3. Which involves late game spoilers for both so I won't bring it up in detail! But it's amusing cause I'm pretty sure the parts of M3's story that were similar were all decided on prior to CC coming out.

Mother 3 - Did another Fassad battle. Took two tries. it's a /fairly/ standard battle system but something in how it's balanced makes it really enjoyable. I think I've been underusing Kumatora's status attacks and I /really/ should've been using Boney as an item guy. Only complaints are... Actually I think the length is fine. The conclusion it's building to is working. I guess I could say Leder's thing was a bit info-dumpy, but it... had to be, because "showing" that would've undermined some things.

So yeah, only real complaints are that I wish the Fire and Ice areas were a bit longer. That's my issue with the 'length'. (Apologies for the awkward scare apostrophes.)

But yeah, this game gets kind of !@#%$ed. I mean it starts !@#%ed but then it gets !@#%eder.

Also briefly screwed around with some of the other Kunio games. Shin Nekketsu feels nice but it's sort of excessively talky. Shodai... I like the atmosphere (it has that early SMT mall trash vibe) but the random encounters/slowness (No running? Also areas are a bit large'n'empty)/Lack of environmental interaction/presence of friendly fire kind of make it a pain to play? And then Technos Samurai/Jidaegeki whatever has a lot of FPS issues that are really obvious after playing the SNES RCR remake, although I remember liking it a lot back in the day. Shin and TS I'll probably get back to when I have time. Shodai probably not so much.

Oh, uh back to the Mother games for a second. Recent fondness for M1/EBZ got me interested in maybe seeing if I missed some other cool NES RPGs. Some early game clunk aside, though, M1... had a lot of good decisions that a lot of other NES/FC RPGs didn't. Notably, you move fast (even without the running), the encounter rate's actually not all that high, battles are pretty fast anyway, only one or two of the dungeons are mazelike (and the dungeons have a bunch of good items so exploration feels worthwhile), combat's fast and buffs matter a lot.

So yeah, discovering that there's actually another NES/SMS era RPG* that I like that isn't PS1 isn't translating into the broader appreciation of RPGs from that era.

* DW had GBC remakes, DoY was more SNES era, and Zelda isn<Chicago Max Headroom Break Here>
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 10:24:50 PM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Klyde Chroma

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5089 on: May 03, 2016, 05:49:24 PM »

@ DINCREST -- Dude, your suggestions were SPOT ON. Best of all, you reminded me that I wanted to play Eternal Eden years ago and forgot all about it. I even already had it purchased and on my computer.

I don't know what I'm gonna get to first but you nailed exactly what I was hoping to find with your suggestions. Thinking Millenium, Eden or Skyborn are what I'm gravitating toward.

@ AEOLUS -- I really wanted to justify the jump into Lufia 2 from the door. Thank you for making me feel like that is the right move.

@ MESH -- I've mentioned it before but I can't help but feel as though you are somehow responsible for this urge to play the aforementioned with your posts here in the journal. As such, I thank you and can totally relate to your curiosity to explore the NES library right now (down the road for me somewhere as well)

EDIT (FINAL RETRO GAME INQUIREEEEE/thanks guys) -- I'm guessing Aeolus (if I recall your old Avatar correctly) is the community member to consult on this one but once again, any input from you fine folks is appreciated. As a Mana fan who never played the GBA Sword of Mana title, is it worth my time or is it another case of "Dawn of Mana"?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 05:59:40 PM by Klyde Chroma » Logged

We will never know world peace until 3 people can simultaneously look each other in the eye.

glassjawsh

Salvum est Vita!

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #5090 on: May 03, 2016, 06:27:06 PM »

Star Ocean - First Departure: Breezed my way to B rank in the coliseum and then got obliterated by the first A rank baddie I faced off against.  Roddick is level 45 and most of his attacks just bounced right off the little slime thing (that kept multiplying).  Wondering if there is a secret to bagging A Rank or if  just have to power level my way to victory.

Also, I'm sure this is already an open secret but SO and early Tales games are exactly the same...

MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5091 on: May 03, 2016, 06:52:23 PM »

I think in general I'm not... as big on the RCR games as I used to be :SSS I do want more famicom stuff, though. Maybe I should check out the Silk Road games, or Shadow Brain.

Star Ocean - First Departure: Breezed my way to B rank in the coliseum and then got obliterated by the first A rank baddie I faced off against.  Roddick is level 45 and most of his attacks just bounced right off the little slime thing (that kept multiplying).  Wondering if there is a secret to bagging A Rank or if  just have to power level my way to victory.

Also, I'm sure this is already an open secret but SO and early Tales games are exactly the same...

TP1 and ... TP1? WTF is that?

Definitely but

ToP and the original SNES SO1 weren't QUITE SO similar feeling to me -- ToP is strictly sideview and kind of ATBish, SO1 is more top-down borderline-Growlansery -- it's more ToD and SO2 where they started to converge I guess? And then First Departure uses is just the SO2 engine, which was a lot more Tales-y. Probably. Don't listen to me, I'm a liar.

-- edit --

Eternal Blue - oh my, the little sleep fairy things /go to sleep/ after you fight them :D That's adorable!
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 08:43:53 PM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not dream o/`

Klutz64

Tactically Engaged in Espionage Action

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5092 on: May 03, 2016, 10:39:50 PM »

After finally admitting to myself that I just can't get into Radiant Historia, I think I might go a different masochistic route and try starting over in Bravely Default. What can I say, I'm a sucker for job class systems.

My Blog - It's about gaming stuff. You can read it if you want. No pressure. I mean, there's a link there you just have to click on, but... y'know... whatever.
Current Post: Grand Re-re-r-e-re-opening!
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5093 on: May 03, 2016, 10:46:58 PM »

@ DINCREST -- Dude, your suggestions were SPOT ON. Best of all, you reminded me that I wanted to play Eternal Eden years ago and forgot all about it. I even already had it purchased and on my computer.

I don't know what I'm gonna get to first but you nailed exactly what I was hoping to find with your suggestions. Thinking Millenium, Eden or Skyborn are what I'm gravitating toward.

@ AEOLUS -- I really wanted to justify the jump into Lufia 2 from the door. Thank you for making me feel like that is the right move.

@ MESH -- I've mentioned it before but I can't help but feel as though you are somehow responsible for this urge to play the aforementioned with your posts here in the journal. As such, I thank you and can totally relate to your curiosity to explore the NES library right now (down the road for me somewhere as well)

EDIT (FINAL RETRO GAME INQUIREEEEE/thanks guys) -- I'm guessing Aeolus (if I recall your old Avatar correctly) is the community member to consult on this one but once again, any input from you fine folks is appreciated. As a Mana fan who never played the GBA Sword of Mana title, is it worth my time or is it another case of "Dawn of Mana"?

Sword of Mana is a game that for a long time, I considered to be the example of how not to remake a game. It added a ton of extra content in order to try to tie it in better with the other Mana games in spite of the fact that none of them really had anything in common beyond there being a Tree, a Sword of Mana and Rabbites (or were particularly well fleshed out to begin with). While it kinda sorta plays like Seiken Densetsu 3, it made a bunch of changes for the sake of adding features and not for the sake of playability (weapons now deal specific damage types like Slashing, Piercing and Bashing; weapons and spells all have a level up feature ala Secret's skill level system; magic now charged ala Legend's instruments, weapon and spell proficiency was determined by your chosen Class like SD3's system; your weapons and armor could now be modified via forging (also a mechanic lifted from Legend) and so on), but the game tried to sorta stick to the Final Fantasy Adventure's/Mystic Quest's/Adventure of Mana's/Seiken Densetsu 1's base which added a bunch of complications (they hacked the plot apart to make room for the Girl option, weapons are doled out largely based upon when they showed up in FFA/MQ/AoM/SD1, magic was just handled badly, forging required way too many rare items to ever make headways in, skill levels scarcely provided any benefit at all, the party mechanic is worthless due to the game hitting Gave Over status whenever the player's protagonist falls (regardless if you can switch to a still living, breathing PC to pop in and throw an Angel's Grail at the protagonist), Master Ninja was by far the best class in the game while others were dubious at best, status effects are somehow even worse than the original versions (the original version's status effects were either a mild inconvenience at worst or you couldn't use the items/spells designed to treat them until after they wore off), and there's a whole lot of extra dialogue (about as much as I've posted now) to either say the exact same thing said in the original game (i.e. about as much as I've posted since I last compared to what the game said about how much I've posted; in fact this is a good example of the dialogue bloat found in Sword as I could've just said "i.e. about as much as I've posted since my previous posting comment" and have gotten the same effect), or try to rewrite the original game's plot in spite of the fact that the events of the game are largely identical (which leads to hilarity like Count Lee going on about how he's trying to protect the Girl by stuffing her in a coffin or how Medusa wasn't evil, just misunderstood and that Davias is Dark Lord's brother and just part of a race that can't help but be monsters or Julius being defeated by a power of friendship speech while whitewashing the Green Aesop that the original game ended on)).

Or in short, it doesn't have the same issues that Dawn of Mana has, but it has a full set of its own issues that really drag the game down. I'd say you'd be better off either tracking down that recent Adventure of Mana remake or just track down a copy of Final Fantasy Adventure/Mystic Quest.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5094 on: May 03, 2016, 10:57:19 PM »

DIE VAMPIRE!

OH NO YOU'RE DEAD NOW, WHYYYYYYYYYYY

o/` I do not dream o/`

Klyde Chroma

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5095 on: May 03, 2016, 11:59:10 PM »

Sword of Mana is a game that for a long time, I considered to be the example of how not to remake a game. It added a ton of extra content in order to try to tie it in better with the other Mana games in spite of the fact that none of them really had anything in common beyond there being a Tree, a Sword of Mana and Rabbites (or were particularly well fleshed out to begin with). While it kinda sorta plays like Seiken Densetsu 3, it made a bunch of changes for the sake of adding features and not for the sake of playability (weapons now deal specific damage types like Slashing, Piercing and Bashing; weapons and spells all have a level up feature ala Secret's skill level system; magic now charged ala Legend's instruments, weapon and spell proficiency was determined by your chosen Class like SD3's system; your weapons and armor could now be modified via forging (also a mechanic lifted from Legend) and so on), but the game tried to sorta stick to the Final Fantasy Adventure's/Mystic Quest's/Adventure of Mana's/Seiken Densetsu 1's base which added a bunch of complications (they hacked the plot apart to make room for the Girl option, weapons are doled out largely based upon when they showed up in FFA/MQ/AoM/SD1, magic was just handled badly, forging required way too many rare items to ever make headways in, skill levels scarcely provided any benefit at all, the party mechanic is worthless due to the game hitting Gave Over status whenever the player's protagonist falls (regardless if you can switch to a still living, breathing PC to pop in and throw an Angel's Grail at the protagonist), Master Ninja was by far the best class in the game while others were dubious at best, status effects are somehow even worse than the original versions (the original version's status effects were either a mild inconvenience at worst or you couldn't use the items/spells designed to treat them until after they wore off), and there's a whole lot of extra dialogue (about as much as I've posted now) to either say the exact same thing said in the original game (i.e. about as much as I've posted since I last compared to what the game said about how much I've posted; in fact this is a good example of the dialogue bloat found in Sword as I could've just said "i.e. about as much as I've posted since my previous posting comment" and have gotten the same effect), or try to rewrite the original game's plot in spite of the fact that the events of the game are largely identical (which leads to hilarity like Count Lee going on about how he's trying to protect the Girl by stuffing her in a coffin or how Medusa wasn't evil, just misunderstood and that Davias is Dark Lord's brother and just part of a race that can't help but be monsters or Julius being defeated by a power of friendship speech while whitewashing the Green Aesop that the original game ended on)).

Or in short, it doesn't have the same issues that Dawn of Mana has, but it has a full set of its own issues that really drag the game down. I'd say you'd be better off either tracking down that recent Adventure of Mana remake or just track down a copy of Final Fantasy Adventure/Mystic Quest.

Your gonna laugh after all that but I think you sold me on the GBA version. LoL

In truth, I WOULD be all over Adventure of Mana if we got the psp/vita version. My phone is strictly meant for calling people, music, texting people, music, checking my mail, music and consulting my I-Ching app for wisdom.... No games.

And with that you guys have effectively outlined my gaming agenda for quite some time. You all have my sincerest thanks.

Pages: 1 ... 338 339 [340] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: