Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 30, 2016, 10:18:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Check out the latest RPG news!
239218 Posts in 7112 Topics by 2359 Members
Latest Member: RetroRPGFan8048
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Game Journals
| | |-+  A Game Journal Reborn
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 345 346 [347] Print
Author Topic: A Game Journal Reborn  (Read 419851 times)
Hathen
You think this would be funny?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5190 on: May 26, 2016, 10:55:10 AM »

Chili's always great.

Couple years back former RPGfan regular Parn had posted a compilation of all the SFIII voice clips, but Sega regularly gets butthurt about Camelot so they purged like, every SF-related video from youtube at some point. Thankfully, some time after that someone else decided to post another video compilation of SFIII voices. A great one from Synbios is the relatively rare one where he goes "YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH", which you get if you happen to get a critical strike from the guy before you learn any special moves.

But yeah, SF III deserves a prominent spot in the history of hilariously bad voice acting. The only game I can think of that cracks me up harder is Mortal Kombat 4.

There was grind in SFII ?

Quote from: Hiroyuki Takahashi
Shining Force II was an experimental title where we improved the story and enhanced the game's 'RPG-ness'.

"RPG-ness" is just another way of saying they wanted the game to have more grindy character growth in the game (no more emphasized than by the doubled promotion level/max unpromoted level). True that you could beat the game while never engaging in it, but it's probable the game was balanced with the idea you'd do it at least a little bit. You could try to avoid random encounters, but I do recall there are times when you need to backtrack and unless you are really lucky (or spam the hell out of Egress/Return which would just be annoying) you will run into a couple random encounters.

Not to say I dislike SF II or anything, I think it's a great game.
Arvis
Prudish Gerontophobe

Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5191 on: May 26, 2016, 11:51:25 AM »

Fire Emblem Fates - Played the first bits of DLC. Chrom and co were surprised by my otherwordly tactics. Yes, Chrom, I did send an archer out to block the choke-point. I'm impressed you noticed. He's a dodgetank with like 30 def who's so used to beating himself up over everything, enemy attack look like nothing to him. The only thing lower than his mag stat is his selfesteem. Yes, I'm aware that mag stat is 0. And yes, I totally send out a cute healer girl to one-shot some guys. No, Chrom, I can't explain that str stat. It might be something in the water, I dunno. That frail dancer crit killing everything with a freakin' log? Eh, yeah, it's definitely water-related in her case. Don't worry about it. Oh, and, uh, just thinking of everyone's safety her, but could you get really close to another male character? I kinda forgot to bring some extra sausages, and Nina is better at shooting when thinking about slashing. It's uh, part of our 'make love not war' philosophy. It's really deep stuff. Okay, I think we're done. Everything is nice and dead. Now will you please, please, please promise me to never try any of this during that adventure you're starting as soon as we leave? Thanks.

Turns out that that DLC is the only story DLC worth doing.  What a waste of my money.

Oh, and I'm done with Fates!  I have beaten two games this year!  Wow!

Current RPG - Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5192 on: May 26, 2016, 12:15:30 PM »

I've bought the first DLC set figuring I might as well, since I've already hit rock-bottom. I have the whole trilogy thingy both digitally and on gamecard (SE), and I'm this || close to looking for some Leokumi fanfiction to see if there's anything good. Some DLC not going to make a difference at this point.
Klyde Chroma
LVL. 44 Scratch ticket Ninja

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5193 on: May 26, 2016, 05:31:29 PM »

So many games I've wanted to comment on here, but have no time. T___T
I READ ALL YOUR RESPONSES DEAR FORUM PEEPS.

This ^^^ happens to me all the time!!! Sometimes I fall asleep thinking of what I want to say/respond with here in the journal and it is PROFOUND!...  Then I wake and I realize the ship has sailed for one reason or another and my pristine-verbal-intent has been altogether lost {:-(

We will never know world peace until 3 people can simultaneously look each other in the eye.

Klutz64
I Like Wacky Hats

Tactically Engaged in Espionage Action

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5194 on: May 27, 2016, 07:35:02 AM »

Tried playing some Paper Mario Sticker Star to switch things up a bit. Once again made it through two stages before thinking, "Oh yeah, this game is utter garbage." It sucks, because the idea is sound but the consumption of stickers just destroys any potential the game otherwise would have. Like, sometimes you have to use two or three stickers in one battle to earn enough coins to cover the cost of one.

So instead I decided to switch up my long-term game from Fantasy Life to Story of Seasons.

My Blog - It's about gaming stuff. You can read it if you want. No pressure. I mean, there's a link there you just have to click on, but... y'know... whatever.
Current Post: Grand Re-re-r-e-re-opening!
Annubis

ee yan~☆

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5195 on: May 27, 2016, 07:34:09 PM »

I played an event in Warframe today and I present to you toxic retards: http://imgur.com/a/Rdru1

I mean, if you talk smack, at least back it up dude. Not even 100 kill on 20 rounds of defense AND single digit damage (meaning nobody stole their kills, they just sucked).

Oh well
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5196 on: May 28, 2016, 03:42:54 AM »

I wa dreading the confrontation with Stranger of Sword City's boss, but it turned out to be a push-over compared to the bosses in the dungeon. I don't think I was every in any actual danger. The worst part was the healing, but my mage (me) could take that of and more in one turn with some boosted Tri-Bolts.
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5197 on: May 28, 2016, 07:15:42 AM »

Nearly done with Valkyria Chronicles. Just have one last decoration to meet the requirements for by killing a total of 1000 enemies. Currently at...671. Ugh, stupid last trophy. >.> Not sure what I'll be moving to next.
glassjawsh

Salvum est Vita!

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #5198 on: May 28, 2016, 10:00:50 AM »

I've been trying to play The Last Story.  But it forces you to pause the game every 20 seconds in order to change the configuration of a certain button between "gather" and "seek" even though there are two other buttons that do the same thing... And since Mistwalker didn't include an option where you can configure your own button scheme (or choose between more than the 2 horrendous options provided) this game has already gotten tedious and stupid 30 minutes in.  Why wasn't a bigger deal made of this?  It LOOKS like it could be tremendously entertaining, but because of idiotic and lazy design choices I'll never get to find out.

(and I'd sooner drink a shot of paint thinner than play with the nunchuck)

edit: closer inspection has shown that my L button might just be broken....
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 10:15:08 AM by glassjawsh » Logged

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5199 on: May 28, 2016, 11:15:52 PM »

SUPER IMPORTANT PSA FOR WHOEVER WAS PLAYING CHRONO CROSS:

the lyrics to the battle song are just the words "chrono cross" repeated over and over again in rhythm with the music.

you can never forget this now.

I've been trying to play The Last Story.  But it forces you to pause the game every 20 seconds in order to change the configuration of a certain button between "gather" and "seek" even though there are two other buttons that do the same thing... And since Mistwalker didn't include an option where you can configure your own button scheme (or choose between more than the 2 horrendous options provided) this game has already gotten tedious and stupid 30 minutes in.  Why wasn't a bigger deal made of this?  It LOOKS like it could be tremendously entertaining, but because of idiotic and lazy design choices I'll never get to find out.

(and I'd sooner drink a shot of paint thinner than play with the nunchuck)

edit: closer inspection has shown that my L button might just be broken....

I was playing TLS a few years ago and from what I remember, your controller's definitely broken or your Wii's having issues. what you're describing is noooot normal operation.

fwiw, TLS i generally considered a worse operation rainfall game than XBC, but if you found XBC offputting because of the bloat wrt sidequests and limited characterization, TLS has a lot of characterization and doesn't go overboard on sidequests (note that some of them reset between chapters if you want spare money. You don't need to do them after the first time, except for the uh, frog one. Also iirc the next quest in a sidequest chain won't open until the next chapter anyway so you're not going to get bogged down in an endless stream of sidequests.) and you can fire banana peels at every single NPC in town.

-- edit --

ToP - Going for Undine. Dropped back to Normal difficulty and I'm probably going to leave it there. Hard mode wasn't really being problematic but suddenly everything's getting stupid romhacky hitsponge HP on hardmode now (whereas it's fine on Normal). Also not totally sure what the timing is for the standard two-hit combo -- with Gungnir, you want to start with a slash attack because it knocks the enemies back enough that the thrust attack won't clip through them, but I keep botching the input.

Anyway, hardmode shenanigans have me sufficiently annoyed that I'm taking an enforced break. And then I'm... leaving Linda^3 and Eternal Blue alone until I work through this vocabulary builder, and I have to finish up some stuff on Lunatic Dawn patch so probably minimal gaming for the next week.
« Last Edit: Today at 08:08:17 PM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Klyde Chroma
LVL. 44 Scratch ticket Ninja

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5200 on: Today at 08:49:22 PM »

LEGEND OF MANA -- First, word of warning to anyone playing this via PSN download. The difference I have experienced playing on a PS3 NOT IN GAME MODE vs. a PSTV IN GAME MODE is profound. Profound on a level of not playable (PS3) vs. just fine (PSTV in GAME MODE). That is, unforgivable input lag when playing on a PS3 that is hardly reduced with GAME MODE television setting. I don't know if this is the case with every PS1 classic or just terribly bad with Mana but I feel like more people should know about this.

So I spent a retarded amount of time sampling every weapon cause I "needed to know" which moveset/gameplay I like most. Then I came to discover that the weapon equipped at level up impacts stat growth, so virtually any decisions I made had to be re-evaluated. Going with Gloves, Spear and Bow for the win.

Thus far I saved a missing lady, took care of some highway bandits, got me some lil' apprentices running around my abode, weeded the garden and have been talking to trees, rocks, and a tiny cacti.... And I love it all so much in its charm I'm fearful to pick it up again until I complete Eternal Eden because I don't want to compromise that experience ATM.

ETERNAL EDEN -- This game just keeps blowing me away in its dungeon design and puzzles. Equally cool is how blossomsoft kept sprinkling more and more simplistic new function into the gameplay to retard any sense of a town-dungeon-town gameplay loop. I mentioned both of these things before but I need to bring em back up because after another weeks worth of playtime, it is still going strong on these fronts.

Coming this far with it now though I do have some minor complaints.

Boss difficulty becomes unbalanced.

There seems to be an ever so slight animation hiccup in the characters movement whilst running. This is minor mind you, but I'm a freak about this sort of thing.

Minor script/writing errors (not a big deal).

I'm actually trying to be heavily critical here in identifying anything I don't like. Barring the "boss difficulty" note, its pretty tough for me to find much I don't enjoy.

I'm now on my way to the token "desert area" and couldn't be more enthralled.

We will never know world peace until 3 people can simultaneously look each other in the eye.

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5201 on: Today at 09:53:40 PM »

Then I came to discover that the weapon equipped at level up impacts stat growth

fwiw, the impact from this is preeeeeeeetty negligible.

also it's a mana game so your damage calculation is based almost entirely on base weapon attack power anyway.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Pages: 1 ... 345 346 [347] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: