Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 17, 2014, 09:28:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
340846 Posts in 13927 Topics by 2221 Members
Latest Member: alceste007
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Game Journals
| | |-+  Maxx plays FFXIII - based on a true story [SPOILERS!]
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print
Author Topic: Maxx plays FFXIII - based on a true story [SPOILERS!]  (Read 2019 times)
KashyBoy101

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2014, 04:24:52 PM »

You may have begun to notice by now that most of the characterization in this game is of the "stop and rest" variety. There's really not a whole lot that actually *happens* to these characters in this game. Very little of the game involves these characters actually participating in the story... probably because the game doesn't really have much of one. It has a beginning and an ending (kind of) but everything that occurs in between is just sort of a series of events that happen, usually involving these characters standing around and soliloquizing about stuff between monster fights that have very little to do with where they are or what they're doing. Gotta get that characterization out there somehow, right?

Anyway, great stuff so far. You're nearing the part where Lightning has her inexplicable life-changing epiphany. Nothing like "pets" to put your whole life in sudden perspective.
Klyde Chroma
LVL 12. Obsessive Compulsive Fruity Assassin

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2014, 05:13:17 PM »

Eh, Dice, LR was pretty open-ended in its exploration.  Easily one of the most non-linear games from Japan I've played in modern years.  That's part of the reason why I enjoyed it so much.

Did not play LR, so you gotta excuse me on that part of the comment (I probably won't get around to it or bother till it's really cheap....so Steam sale???).

I'm becoming a much bigger fan of less linear games as I get older though.

Its funny you say that. I've been so opposed to non-linear progression as a gamer and RPGFan, but in recent months I feel a subtle shift in that attitude. It started with borderlands for me a few months ago, but now I'm really beginning to warm up to the idea of trying my hand at some more open world titles. The price point of PS3 games now has made trying new things far more accessible which helps A LOT! LoL

Ironically enough, today, I came across one of those fancy Lightning Returns Dualshock controllers. I killed my red dualshock's R2 with Xillia 2 and my analogs have seen better (tighter) days, so the purchase felt justified.

I think if I can ever bare the motion sickness that was induced I might give XIII-2 and LR another shot (a very long time from now).
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 05:16:09 PM by Klyde Chroma » Logged

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: October 07, 2014, 11:38:10 PM »

Some of the smartass commentary towards XIII here reminds me of the Spoony One.

This thread reminded me that I absolutely hated that upgrading was pretty much useless until post-game.  They have this complex system in place that is barely useful at all until you start taking on stronger things than the final boss and you suddenly need it. Badly.

Can't say I have problems with how devs wanted to keep things as balanced as possible when they mostly did a decent job at it.

Edit: Also, I'm never killing an Adamantoise again.  Grinding them for hours was the worst part of XIII's post-game.  For fun, try fighting one with the fast-forward command in XIII-2 and see how horribly you do even using the "right" strategy.

You gotta work to kill an Adamantoise. It feels good when you defeat one, though, the poor thing is just there minding its own business and you go to one of them only to ruin his day.
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: October 08, 2014, 12:35:27 AM »

Eh, Dice, LR was pretty open-ended in its exploration.  Easily one of the most non-linear games from Japan I've played in modern years.  That's part of the reason why I enjoyed it so much.

Did not play LR, so you gotta excuse me on that part of the comment (I probably won't get around to it or bother till it's really cheap....so Steam sale???).

I'm becoming a much bigger fan of less linear games as I get older though.

Its funny you say that. I've been so opposed to non-linear progression as a gamer and RPGFan, but in recent months I feel a subtle shift in that attitude. It started with borderlands for me a few months ago, but now I'm really beginning to warm up to the idea of trying my hand at some more open world titles. The price point of PS3 games now has made trying new things far more accessible which helps A LOT! LoL

Ironically enough, today, I came across one of those fancy Lightning Returns Dualshock controllers. I killed my red dualshock's R2 with Xillia 2 and my analogs have seen better (tighter) days, so the purchase felt justified.

I think if I can ever bare the motion sickness that was induced I might give XIII-2 and LR another shot (a very long time from now).

I was the same for a while.  I liked just being guided.  But since I play games more for the play-part these days I've really enjoyed the bigger environments (story comes second, and if that part is amazing then all the better, if not, it's no skin off my back).

Given all the good I hear about LR:13's gameplay, I really think I might take a dip in it when I find the right price (and to finally finish the series off).  Worst case, and since I most likely won't enjoy the story, still have real nice graphics and an amazing OST to listen to.

Which reminds me; GOD I love spell effects in the Final Fantasy series.  I remember loving it since 10; but 13 likes using the crystal/pearl/rainbow effect that is like the sexiest thing on the planet (or maybe the girlie-ness in me is talking).

*drool*

Some of the smartass commentary towards XIII here reminds me of the Spoony One.

God I hated that review of his....

This thread reminded me that I absolutely hated that upgrading was pretty much useless until post-game.  They have this complex system in place that is barely useful at all until you start taking on stronger things than the final boss and you suddenly need it. Badly.

I hated it too.  It took way too long to max and the method to do so was annoying.
I did like that (IIRC) there were fewer weapons but with different effects.  It certainly beats the usual "THIS WEAPON IS STRONGER THAN THE ONE BEFORE IT (even though you bought the previous one at the WORLD CAPITAL and this one from some shit shop in the middle of nowhere!).
I know that's not the *exact* case, but I do remember it was much harder to settle on a "best weapon" without regarding play styles.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: October 21, 2014, 07:33:31 AM »

Its been a while since I made any updates. The reason is rather simple, I had no bloody time or motivation to play FFXIII (or much of anything else for that matter) :( Truth be told I'm getting to that thin line that, once crossed, means I'm not going back for years and when I do, its going to be a fresh start all over again. I've been down that road before (this is attempt #2). Hopefully I'll find the motivation soon because I do actually want to beat this game.
They say things pick up after about 20 hours. I'm about to hit that mark, so if anything, its worth another session or two just to find out if there's any truth to that statement.

NOW PLAYING:
Final Fantasy XIII: The time has come...
Edna & Harvey: The Breakout: Its...Odd...
One Finger Death Punch: F*ck Yeah! - The game
Damacon

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: October 21, 2014, 08:32:21 AM »

Things for sure pick up from bad to terrible, your characters somehow manage to get more annoying and the fights become even longer/more boring. Just burn the game along with your trust and love for Square like I did.
Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: October 21, 2014, 09:07:26 AM »

Things for sure pick up from bad to terrible, your characters somehow manage to get more annoying and the fights become even longer/more boring. Just burn the game along with your trust and love for Square like I did.

Damn son, you manage to be more melodramatic than FF XIII itself. Props, that takes some skill :)

Damacon

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: October 21, 2014, 09:35:34 AM »

Thanks I am pretty talented if there was a scene on this forums of someone punching me it would probably be the highlight of the forums like Lightning punching snow was for FF13.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: October 21, 2014, 01:17:28 PM »

Despite the melodrama, he's pretty much correct. You go from getting strung along down a narrow corridor to plot point after plot point until you reach the vaunted Gran Pulse, at which point you're getting strung along all over hell and gone to go on a sequence of sidequests (always consisting of "defeat enemy X") strictly for the purposes of level grinding. You're quite literally going through a training montage for chapters 10, 11 and half of 12, and worse still is that this comes at the very point in the plot where things had just gone from pedestrian to crazy stupid which further makes the arc worse since you kinda want to see how that stupidity is going to resolve itself but you can't because you're stuck on Planet Namek grinding on slugs and flowers because everything else will kill you instantly/horribly until you gain enough levels under your belt where only mostly everything will kill you instantly/horribly (and among the things that won't anymore are the massive sacks of HP robot enemies that exist solely to roadblock you out of picking up the plot until you've ground up to a level where you can slowly manage take them down). The only optional thing you can actually do during this point is getting the Growth Egg which requires going all the way up to the point where you'll begin Chapter 12, then double back to the main areas of Chapter 11 to trick a sidequest statue into letting you attempt the Growth Egg quest early (it should in theory make the endgame less of a slog, but it essentially requires a slog to get the option).

The tl;dr is that even in the Land Down Under, you're still getting strung along, just that, instead of walls and corridors, you have gorges and hot death boxing you in.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: