Author Topic: A Game Journal Reborn  (Read 541628 times)

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • Tactically Engaged in Espionage Action
    • View Profile
Re: A Game Journal Reborn
« Reply #6180 on: December 01, 2016, 11:59:36 PM »
Final Fantasy 5

Got me a Blue Mage with the Trainer's "Control" ability. Time to hunt me some spells!
My Blog - It's about gaming stuff. You can read it if you want. No pressure. I mean, there's a link there you just have to click on, but... y'know... whatever.
Current Post: Grand Re-re-r-e-re-opening!

Klyde Chroma

• LVL. 54 Optional-RPGFan-Character
    • View Profile
« Reply #6181 on: December 02, 2016, 03:24:37 AM »
I've been playing chess games...

The first one is simple called Knights and involves putting knights (red/blue) on squares of the same colour. Later levels include yellow knights you need to move around to make room. It's pretty challenging, as moving the final piece in place often involves thinking more than a few steps ahead and since it's all knights everywhere, it can be difficult to get a good idea where everything can move.

The second one is Gigachess, which feels like a more advanced version of cat and mouse checkers. Basically, you have up to four pieces (a combination of knights, bishops and rooks) and you have to capture all the pawns. Capturing pawns results in SP, which you can use to buy items, like blocks to block pawns and bombs to blow them up. There's a puzzle mode, which is, well, puzzles, and an endless mode that's like a zombie apocalypse for chess pieces. Pawns attack in waves and you need to survive as long as you can while stopping as many as possible. Shiny pawns are extra strong. They move two spaces and can attack like knights. The game ends when either 10 pawns have breached your defences or all your pieces are dead.

Give it to me straight, Tomara. I've been looking for straight up CHESS for awhile. Fancy pieces are all fine, but I want plain reg-rules chess. Actually fancy pieces and animations would kick ass to be perfectly frank.

The problem here is "options" (too many) and all of them I find seem to have some substantial problem or another so I've yet to acquire a chess title. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I AM CHRONO SETSTUNA -- Made it through some plot stuff and to Floneia (sp?). So far I adore the title but it sure has it's faults. Number uno being waaaaay to easy. 2, the game re-uses it's own assets waaaaay too much. And 3, I need some puzzles man!! Hoping all of this is "early on" issues that clear themselves up before it becomes an exercise in patience because in the soundtrack and charm department this game delivers.

Also as an aside for anyone looking for a "christmas" RPG (if such a thing was a thing) I am Setsuna suits the season fantastic. You'll know what I mean within the first hour of gameplay (youtube it if you are curious).

GRAVITY RUSH-- Restored the entertainment district and the battle of the femme fatale ensues via Kat's now obvious rival/nemesis. The plot is thin but keeps me invested in the fantastic gameplay. Still disturbed by the camera.
In this world is the destiny of mankind controlled by some transcedental entity or law? is it like the hand of god hovering above? Perhaps Man has no control even over his own will…

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6182 on: December 02, 2016, 09:20:28 AM »
Is Battle Chess for the NES available on any VCs?
Current RPG - Pokemon Sun, Atelier Rorona, Final Fantasy III, Tales of Graces f

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #6183 on: December 02, 2016, 09:45:38 AM »

Give it to me straight, Tomara. I've been looking for straight up CHESS for awhile. Fancy pieces are all fine, but I want plain reg-rules chess. Actually fancy pieces and animations would kick ass to be perfectly frank.

The problem here is "options" (too many) and all of them I find seem to have some substantial problem or another so I've yet to acquire a chess title. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Good question. I rarely if ever play regular chess games. I have Wii Chess for the, you'll never guess, Wii and that that one is minimalist but very functional (though I have no idea of the online multiplayer still works). But... it was only released in Japan and Europe, for some reason. Something similar on PC would be Simply Chess (free on Steam), which is very similar in form and function.

As for fancier looking stuff, Battle vs Chess gets good reviews and may be exactly what you're looking for, but apparently features some annoying third party DRM.

Keep in mind that I'm not a good judge of chess AIs, as I've played a grand total of seven games against actual people.

Klyde Chroma

• LVL. 54 Optional-RPGFan-Character
    • View Profile
« Reply #6184 on: December 02, 2016, 05:08:55 PM »

As for fancier looking stuff, Battle vs Chess gets good reviews and may be exactly what you're looking for, but apparently features some annoying third party DRM.

Keep in mind that I'm not a good judge of chess AIs, as I've played a grand total of seven games against actual people.

That was my first pick awhile back but everyone on steam made it sound like the DRM was so invasive it would, like, get into my com and unplug my ram-sticks when I wasn't looking.

And here comes the funny part.. ready?? ***HOW YOU DISCOVER YOU MAY BE AN IDIOT-- by klyde chroma***

1. Ask for gaming suggestions in the journal. 2. Look up gaming suggestions and deliberate whether or not to buy. 3. Log into steam. 4. Discover you already have battle vs. chess in your gaming library installed and ready to go.

Thanks for the suggestion! Looks like I took your advice in a quantum sense that did not abide the conventional laws of time/causality.
In this world is the destiny of mankind controlled by some transcedental entity or law? is it like the hand of god hovering above? Perhaps Man has no control even over his own will…

natros

• View Profile
« Reply #6185 on: Yesterday at 04:39:34 PM »
Grandia - Just getting out of the Virgin Forest at the start of disc 2.
Damn this game for making me backtrack into the Valley of the Flying Dragon, just to duel with Gadwin, then backtrack yet again to get out. I'm digging the the story and the characters, but the dungeon crawling is so damn tedious as it is. Don't need backtracking added to it. I know I keep complaining about the dungeon crawling every time I talk about the game. ...I guess it's just because I really wish it didn't feel that way to me, cuz I'm really enjoying the game otherwise.

glassjawsh

• Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
    • my backloggery
« Reply #6186 on: Yesterday at 04:42:46 PM »
Grandia - Just getting out of the Virgin Forest at the start of disc 2.
Damn this game for making me backtrack into the Valley of the Flying Dragon, just to duel with Gadwin, then backtrack yet again to get out. I'm digging the the story and the characters, but the dungeon crawling is so damn tedious as it is. Don't need backtracking added to it. I know I keep complaining about the dungeon crawling every time I talk about the game. ...I guess it's just because I really wish it didn't feel that way to me, cuz I'm really enjoying the game otherwise.

Grandia can sort of get away with backtracking becasue you can mostly avoid random battles

natros

• View Profile
« Reply #6187 on: Yesterday at 04:51:08 PM »
^ It's admittedly not as bad as other games, and yes, some of battles can be avoided, if you're quick enough (and there's enough space). I guess I just kind of dread hitting up dungeons in this game, so any amount of backtracking is going to seem more terrible than it actually is in my eyes.
A big part of what annoys me about unnecessary battling in this game is that you have to keep going through each damn post-battle screen every single time. Especially if you're overburdened. It's not streamlined enough for as many battles as you can get stuck in sometimes. Granted, I'm talking about a 90s game here.

MeshGearFox

• HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6188 on: Today at 05:38:43 PM »
Suikoden 2 - Started this up with S1 save data. Only played it for about an hour so far. Somehow managed to entirely forget the opening bits even though I had played like a solid 5-10 hours of this at... some point. Anyway yeah about to watch the carnival stuff and get a wolf I guess?

Nights into Dreams - I have the steam version and I remember the included Saturn version not emulating right but I was playing it last night on my /gaming rig/ and it works fine and considerably... smoother? than the remaster. Weird? Maybe my laptop just hates it? Anyway, replayed the first two levels.

Raiden 4 - Just playing this off and on. Keep getting killed on level 2 by something I can't see. Think I'm getting sniped by a tank from offscreen maybe. Also the fairy is /hard to control/.

[deracted] it was IoG my CRT TV is just dumb
« Last Edit: Today at 09:22:44 PM by MeshGearFox »
o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Der Jermeister

• The Angry Videogame Fur
    • View Profile
« Reply #6189 on: Today at 06:22:31 PM »
Grandia's dungeon design is definitely the bane of my existence. At last the compass in its sequel is more helpful.

I beat Odin Sphere Leifthrasir Original Mode and am playing Destiny: The Collection now.

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #6190 on: Today at 06:51:16 PM »
... Was there some game that had the Nazca Lines in it but it like called them the Nackle Lines or something?

The only game I remember with those is Shining Force 2.

Der Jermeister

• The Angry Videogame Fur
    • View Profile
« Reply #6191 on: Today at 07:10:10 PM »
I think Illusion of Gaia had them too.

thetrueelec

• View Profile
« Reply #6192 on: Today at 08:34:58 PM »
Trails of Cold Steel 1 & 2, I'd been holding off finishing 1 until 2 came out here in Australia and it finally did a couple weeks ago. I basically knew all the twists at the end of 1 but seeing everything happen was still awesome, especially those last two fights. I'm up to Legram in 2 and am loving basically everything about it. This series is definitely becoming my new favourite. I love the cast, the battle system is great and I'm really interested in where the plot is going to go, and finally getting that airship I heard about.