Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 27, 2016, 12:09:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Check out the latest RPG news!
241867 Posts in 7246 Topics by 2377 Members
Latest Member: NickRansbottom
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Game Journals
| | |-+  A Game Journal Reborn
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 355 356 [357] Print
Author Topic: A Game Journal Reborn  (Read 433162 times)
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5340 on: June 24, 2016, 09:26:00 PM »

i told you about the plates bro I TOLD YOU ABOUT THE PLATES

but uh, just be thorough in exploring and steal everything and you shouldn't get locked out of anything important. Second half of the game should have everything pretty opened up so you're kind of past the point of having the plot railroad you past something missible iirc.

Yes, you did. I have shit for short term memory.

I learned the beauty of the colored plates in battling Dark Serge. He kept taking out Steena, so I had her equip the black plate and proceeded to kick his ass. I didn't know (or remember, if someone actually told me) that a character donning those plates is actually healed when attacked with that element. I had assumed it just did less damage.

Anyway, as far as current progress: I took care of all of the dragons, and managed to steal all of the plates, except for the red one. Maybe it's because Pillage is of the opposite color than that particular dragon, but it didn't work 4 or 5 times in a row, so I eventually said "fuck it." Got tired of running away and restarting that battle.
I restored Serge's identity (glad to have Glenn back), and am now working through the Sea of Eden. I currently have Serge; Glenn; and Miki (Fargo instead of Glenn when fighting bosses) in my party. I would probably have Steena instead of Miki, but Steena's HP is/are too low for my taste (even with an HP-boosting earring equipped).

Not sure if I will even mess with NG+ when this play through is over.. maybe. I just have so many other games I want to get to. I'll probably come back to it later.

EDIT: Character name correction

Well on the plus side, the Red Plate is probably the most 'ehh' of the Colored Plates since there's hardly any Red Affinity Bosses of note beyond the Red Dragon. I suppose there is that one side area, but its not long, and if you really need the help, Serge's best weapon should be enough to make that area much easier.

Also, now that you have Serge and your pre-Lynx party back (sans Kid of course), a bunch of side quests should have opened up. They're worth running for some sweet loot.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5341 on: June 25, 2016, 12:38:33 AM »

Fallout 3 - Got this during the Steam sale, out of curiosity. Probably won't spend THAT much time with it -- I've got stuff in rotation. ANYWAY Messed around in the Sprinvale school then whent to Megaton. Immediate impressions compared to N' Vegs:

- Vault bit actually had like emotional resonance to me. Not expecting that!
- I miss the survival/crafting stuff from NV.
- Maps actually have z-axis !? Appreciate!est?

... uh :D

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Klyde Chroma
LVL. 44 Scratch ticket Ninja

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5342 on: June 25, 2016, 02:08:02 AM »

Anyone buy anything good on the Steam Summer Sale, yet?  I bought Stardew Valley and am a few minutes from starting it up for the first time.

Taking opportunity to praise PC game sales. The lovely community model of steam/valve allows clients of mine to now tip me with crap on my wishlist. Being a Sony kid up until present this is new and awesome for me.

I just got the gaming PC up and running 2 weeks ago and already have waaaaaaaaay more titles on it than I do console. Long term cost effective gaming is apparently a major appeal of steam/gog/origin et cetera, that totally eluded me.

But to the point, steam summer sale specifically....
-Ys Origins, Ark, and Oath
-Pillars of Eternity 2
-Freedom World
-Valdis Story
-Incitement 3 (1 and 2 included)
-All the Endless Legends expansions and DLC
-Van Helsing
-Battleblock Theatre

In other news.

LEGEND OF MANA/ I was happy to see Gilbert's rocky fate (hahaha, see what I did there?) as I have a degree of contempt for hopeless romantics. Then it was back to the junk-heap thanks to my cactus' shenanigans. Pretty sure my sequence of reporting in to the cactus got screwed up now since he wasn't there until after I finished the broom quest-line which then negated my ability to report what I finished prior. --- Please no one tell me how bad this screws things up (if it in fact does) as I will become discouraged. I would prefer to maintain ignorance in the matter. I sort of went into this game knowing full well I was going to miss content playing blind anyhow (the game sort of doesn't leave you much chance NOT to miss things with your first playthrough it seems).

EDIT__ I have my PC hooked up to a 40 inch Samsung monitor. I sit roughly 3-4 foot away (just enough for field of vision) in a theatre-like set-up. At the expense of burning out my eyeballs eventually, this is EXACTLY how I dreamed of playing the Ys games since I discovered them years ago. My attempts at various means of upscaling since then have always left something to be desired.

Long story short. ^^ this set-up + Ys on steam = a 1080'progressive dream come true for me.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 02:40:12 AM by Klyde Chroma » Logged

We will never know world peace until 3 people can simultaneously look each other in the eye.

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5343 on: June 25, 2016, 03:42:16 AM »

In other news.

LEGEND OF MANA/ I was happy to see Gilbert's rocky fate (hahaha, see what I did there?) as I have a degree of contempt for hopeless romantics. Then it was back to the junk-heap thanks to my cactus' shenanigans. Pretty sure my sequence of reporting in to the cactus got screwed up now since he wasn't there until after I finished the broom quest-line which then negated my ability to report what I finished prior. --- Please no one tell me how bad this screws things up (if it in fact does) as I will become discouraged. I would prefer to maintain ignorance in the matter. I sort of went into this game knowing full well I was going to miss content playing blind anyhow (the game sort of doesn't leave you much chance NOT to miss things with your first playthrough it seems).

The only thing you'll miss out on is the entry for the quest you completed when you triggered Lil'Cactus' sidequest. Unfortunately, there's nothing you can do about getting it beyond not letting it be the quest that triggers Lil'Cactus' sidequest again.

Hyrule Warriors: Cleared Level 8. Once I bring Ganondorf up to speed (outside of his Ganondorf's Ambition stages during Legend Mode, he really doesn't see a whole lot of action prior to late in Adventure Mode where he's rather underleveled) it'll be time to work my way to Level 9.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5344 on: June 26, 2016, 04:22:04 PM »

I think you can save Gilbert at some point. If you want to. Also I THINK the cactus diaries carry over in New Game+

Unrelated question: Is there some RPG that has... a character or an empire named Bairados or Beirados or something like that?

Tales of Phantasia - Did Heimdall. So while I want to note that I still like the game a lot, the passivity of the enemies in the random encounters is a bit... concerning. Like, boss fights are still super-involving, but the enemies in random encounters... barely attack at all. I'm not sure if that's an issue in the SNES version too but...

That being said though I do like the storytellingin this (it's a simple story but it's nice), the way all the characters are kind of jerks, just the mood in general, but the passivity of the random encounters is weirding me out.

Fallout 3 -  Did more of Springvale School. Map design actually felt really good to me -- lots of 'terrain' that you could use for cover and chokepoints. Killed Burke (there was a non-violent way to get rid of him that I didn't consider exploring), fixed some missing waterpipes, disarmed the bomb and got a house.

I never played this because in general I'm not big on Bethesda but... early impressions but this feels less Bethesda-y to me than New Vegas does? NV had the huge empty areas I tend to associate with Bethesda. FO3 so far hasn't.

Also picked up some import Saturn games from a store in town (Japanese version of Iron Storm, its expansion?, and Nowabunga's Ambition 6 (but not the one with the powerup kit. idk what that added)) because they'd been there since I moved here and I felt bad for them. And then remembered that I suck at strategy games OH WELPERS.

-- edit --

More FO3 - Doing Those! quest in Greyditch. THAT'S where the needlessly long dungeons were hiding. Although this is more FO2's  molerat dungeon than Bethesda-y dungeon. Anyway probably not supposed to be here yet since none of my weapons are doing much damage to the ants. Might drop it back to regular difficulty.

Okage - Only played this briefly before switching to FO3 (got Ari new equipment). The uh... I like the game but the translation's pushing me towards dropping it. It runs afoul of English in a way that's unsettling and fatiguing.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 11:30:09 PM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Pages: 1 ... 355 356 [357] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: