Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2016, 09:42:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Check out the latest RPG news!
248392 Posts in 7447 Topics by 2389 Members
Latest Member: FenixDrakken
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Game Journals
| | |-+  A Game Journal Reborn
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 390 391 [392] Print
Author Topic: A Game Journal Reborn  (Read 494004 times)
natros

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5865 on: September 27, 2016, 10:50:06 AM »

I wouldn't worry about that, to be honest. Nintendo has always had every previous system be backward compatible, and I'd expect the same of the NX, if you're interested in getting it.

I am interested in the NX, if it actually ends up being what it sounds like it is going to be. I wonder though...  since Nintendo apparently doesn't consider the NX a successor to the Wii U, if the NX actually will honor backwards compatability with games for that system. Of course, time will tell...

Anyways, as far as game journaling, I'm currently in the middle of Chapter 2 of Dead Space 2. Still not digging Isaac's speaking role (it kind of adds a cheesiness to it all), but many things have been improved from the first game. For one, there's definitley a smoother and faster flow to character and enemy movement, which already has me using Stasis more than I ever did in the first game (aside from when it was forced, of course). Some enemies come at you so fast, you barely have time to react.
The sense of dread is not quite as strong as it is in the first game. Probably because you're not as alone as you are in the first game (this one takes place on a space colony), and the gameplay is very similar between the two. Not trying to downplay this one, though. It definitley has its moments. A few jump scares got me good.
I simply can't give enough props to the atmosphere. There's one part, in the midst of the necromorphs slaughtering the populace, where you walk past some citizens hiding behind the locked doors of their respective quarters. Some of them are screaming in terror; some angrily yelling; others pleading; a baby is frantically crying behind one.. and there's nothing you can do for any of them. It's pretty crazy, in a good way.
Klutz64
I Like Wacky Hats

Tactically Engaged in Espionage Action

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5866 on: September 27, 2016, 08:52:47 PM »

Oh God, I got into the Pit People Steam beta and now I find out there's a DQ Builders demo, found a nice guild in Twin Saga, and I still have to finish up Trails of Cold Steel. My kingdom for a clone that can go to work for me.

My Blog - It's about gaming stuff. You can read it if you want. No pressure. I mean, there's a link there you just have to click on, but... y'know... whatever.
Current Post: Grand Re-re-r-e-re-opening!
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5867 on: September 27, 2016, 09:36:23 PM »

I wouldn't worry about that, to be honest. Nintendo has always had every previous system be backward compatible, and I'd expect the same of the NX, if you're interested in getting it.

I am interested in the NX, if it actually ends up being what it sounds like it is going to be. I wonder though...  since Nintendo apparently doesn't consider the NX a successor to the Wii U, if the NX actually will honor backwards compatability with games for that system. Of course, time will tell...

One other thing is that it may be backwards compatible, but only for the 3/DS instead of Wii/U games.

Anyways, DQ7: Finished up Grondal and yep, still a goddamn bump in the road. I forgot that there really isn't anything to that dungeon which is why its soooo goddamn lame. Tempted to redo the whole bloody thing since the boss got super lucky and dropped Ruff twice due to Omphing his Flurry of Fists attack that all managed to zero in on Ruff, but I also dropped like three or four Metal Slimes on the way there and I really don't feel like not taking that. I think my next round of Classes will be MC = Warrior, Maribel = Bard, Ruff = Healslime as I still need some damage output and Maribel will be my party healer until Mervyn shows up, by which point Ruff should have Multiheal and make my life significantly easier.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5868 on: September 27, 2016, 10:22:30 PM »

There was this old game for the Super Color Whiz called Ruff's Tuff Turf. It was about a dog that mowed lawns or something. I can't find any information on it anymore.

Suikoden - Doing the Neck Lord stuff.

Neo Atlas 2 - Miguel mentioned something about ships going missing in the sea near England, so I have... Ruiz looking into that. Maria's exploring Africa (the coastline of which is a mess). Perez is up in Scandinavia, pinned down by a giant lobster monster. He's got some quest to find an Emerald Stone which I think might make people like him more as a quest reward, which would also wave the docking fees he has to pay sometimes probably. I don't really have anyone that could take out the lobster thing right now, either, since I kind of lack warships.

Also Gomez got a quest to go face off against Morgan the Pirate in... Ceuta?

Also my trade routes are a mess. I DID get a faster merchant ship which should help, but uh... I'm trading two kinds of rocks between some towns, which is yielding gunpowder, and trading the gunpowder for quite a lot, but those supplies are ABOUT to start running low. Also the harp for ivory trade route I was doing, which was also like 80k a trip, just ran out of harps. I suspect that I could trade lead for glass to discover stained glass maybe.

I could probably shut down the stuff that's not in the gunpowder chain, set up another grapes <-> barrel route to get wine, and trade the wine to... somewhere in Africa maybe.

... I should probably try reading more of the text but I mean
If the game pops up a painting of a giant goshdang lobster and your ships return to port all damaged, the situation's p. self evident.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 10:29:46 PM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Hathen
You think this would be funny?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5869 on: September 27, 2016, 10:25:48 PM »

I beat my replay FF4 a bit ago and got a ways into the Lunar Ruins before I got interrupted by a Fire Emblem binge.

After beating Awakening, I'm moving onto Fates for the first time now, starting with Hoshido. I like a lot of the changes they've made so far, especially with the weapons. That and pairing up doesn't seem totally broken this time. Like with Awakening I decided to go with Classic Hard mode, so I didn't notice at the brand-new Phoenix mode at first until I randomly flipped around the Difficulty menu (I generally kept my info to a minimum before I played it).

I mean, I know I really shouldn't care how other people play the game, but I'm just...confused as to why this mode even exists. Is there really a big cross section between people who actually need this mode and people who play Fire Emblem to begin with?
glassjawsh

Salvum est Vita!

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #5870 on: September 27, 2016, 11:57:26 PM »

The final boss in Ys SEVEN is really like 4 bosses in a row.  I guess I'll have to spend a few hours grinding and farming for materials (after I already spent a few hours grinding and farming for materials) before I get my ass handed to me again.

Klutz64
I Like Wacky Hats

Tactically Engaged in Espionage Action

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5871 on: September 28, 2016, 12:16:58 AM »

Short update:

DQ Builders is addictive AF

Day one buy for sure.

My Blog - It's about gaming stuff. You can read it if you want. No pressure. I mean, there's a link there you just have to click on, but... y'know... whatever.
Current Post: Grand Re-re-r-e-re-opening!
Der Jermeister

The Angry Videogame Fur

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5872 on: September 28, 2016, 06:09:49 PM »

Finally beat Tom Clancy's The Division. I died repeatedly during the last story mission, but somehow beat the absolute last boss my first try. I'm sure it's a great multiplayer experience, but the solo experience I don't think was worth it.

Pages: 1 ... 390 391 [392] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: