Author Topic: A Game Journal Reborn

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
Re: A Game Journal Reborn
« Reply #7245 on: Yesterday at 01:59:54 PM »
To be fair, I didn't enjoy Horizon or BotW nearly as much as everyone else since I've never enjoyed the pace of those types of open world games, and I still haven't quite sorted out my feelings on Persona 5. Splatoon 2 will be amazing, but it's just going to be more Splatoon, not really something to consider for GOTY, and ARMS shouldn't even be in that list as the only time anyone ever seemed to have any conversation about it was the week leading up to its release and then all talking stopped almost instantaneously after it came out.

Not a big Fire Emblem fan, and I doubt I'll be able to afford to play Nier before the end of the year.

Jimmy

• Wakens the Ferine Strain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7246 on: Yesterday at 03:24:37 PM »
I found a literal mountain of gold in No Man's Sky last night. I mined all I could carry and then sold it all for about 500,000 units. I then went to another planet in the same system and found another one. This system has several habitable planets, and is incredibly resource rich. Going to stay in this system for a while to get money and work on upgrades before continuing the journey to the center of the galaxy.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7247 on: Yesterday at 04:29:10 PM »
To be fair, I didn't enjoy Horizon or BotW nearly as much as everyone else since I've never enjoyed the pace of those types of open world games, and I still haven't quite sorted out my feelings on Persona 5. Splatoon 2 will be amazing, but it's just going to be more Splatoon, not really something to consider for GOTY, and ARMS shouldn't even be in that list as the only time anyone ever seemed to have any conversation about it was the week leading up to its release and then all talking stopped almost instantaneously after it came out.

Not a big Fire Emblem fan, and I doubt I'll be able to afford to play Nier before the end of the year.

What about impending TitS/CS releases or Ys VIII, Tokyo Xanadu, Zewi!!. Or are you not a Falcom fan either?

As for ARMS, I don't know what or how its doing, but I wouldn't be surprised if it floundered, given that its only on the Switch which nobody beyond Pirates of the eBay and those crazy/stupid/desperate enough to pay them would have right now.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #7248 on: Yesterday at 05:12:19 PM »
Trails in the Sky the 3rd
So happy to have started this!  Even though I just finished SC a few months ago, it still feels like visiting old friends, having started this up.  I just love this world and these characters so much.
Now, obviously The 3rd is set up as just a really transparent epilogue to FC and SC, but I'm pretty ok with that.  What I'm not particularly ok with is all the weird "underworld" nonsense that seems to be going down in Phantasma.  I kinda liked that the other Trails games stayed away from that kind of occult nonsense.  The flavor of the Trails games was always a sweet one, with lots of color, and a world grounded in the explicable and relatable.  There was no need to go the opposite direction with 3rd.

That being said, the characterizations here are still unbelievably good.  I really like how story heavy it is so far, even though I still only have 4 characters and it's early days.  REALLY excited to get all the characters and explore all of the story sequences.  Can't wait to play more, asap!
Well there is a story reason for the tone shift...so don't expect the whole hell motif to go anywhere anytime soon. Game is great though.

Rucks

• Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
    • my backloggery
« Reply #7249 on: Yesterday at 05:14:20 PM »
Saiyuki: Journey West - On the one hand, FF Tactics, Tactics Ogre, Vandal Hearts and Front Mission 3 are more or less considered to be the apex of PS1 era SRPG's.  On the other hand, Eternal Eyes, Vandal Hearts 2, Vanguard Bandits and Hoshigami are more or less considered to be horrible, horrible games that you should only really play if you love the genre/are a bored masochist. 

Saiyuki is in the middle of those two groups.  Right in the meaty part of the curve.  Not showing off, not falling behind.  If there were more trash it would have been more fondly remembered and if there was more than just a handful of truly inspired titles it would've fallen even further into obscurity than it did.

Also that's literally every PS1 SRPG I could remember that got a western release during the consoles lifetime. So I guess this would still technically make Saiyuki a top 5 game in that category.  Which says a lot more about the state of the genre at the time than it does this particular game.

ironmage

• chaotic neutral observer
  • I know what you did and I wholeheartedly approve
    • View Profile
« Reply #7250 on: Yesterday at 09:56:38 PM »
RIVE:  The novelty's worn off.  There are some bad design decisions here.  Putting the default "jump" button on L2 on a PS4 controller is absurd;  it's way too mushy, especially if you're going to demand precision platforming from the player.  It can be remapped:  to L1.  (>_<)   Trying to jump, move, and aim at the same time is giving me hand-cramp.

Some of the segments were clearly designed based around what would look cool, rather than what would be fun to play.  And yet, I haven't once yet hit the PS4 "record video clip" button.  In Bloodborne, I was recording clips all the time, because there was a sense of achievement.  Here, my main reaction is "Well, I got that over with".

I am not the target audience for this game.  Maybe I should stick to RPGs.  We'll see if my natural resistance to frustration is strong enough for me to get the platinum.

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #7251 on: Today at 12:21:43 AM »

What about impending TitS/CS releases or Ys VIII, Tokyo Xanadu, Zewi!!. Or are you not a Falcom fan either?

As for ARMS, I don't know what or how its doing, but I wouldn't be surprised if it floundered, given that its only on the Switch which nobody beyond Pirates of the eBay and those crazy/stupid/desperate enough to pay them would have right now.

I mean, I did say it was only my *current* favorite for game of the year, but it's not like I'm betting on it staying that way (that bet is currently on Danganronpa 3)

Klyde Chroma

• LVL. 71 Purple-cosmo-ninja-ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #7252 on: Today at 01:14:45 AM »

I hope you did not just murder the Party Tank.

I killed everything before realizing they weren't hostile. Then I sort of felt bad even though they were just androids **shrugs**

I have an "attack anything I can target" problem in games. In fact, I didn't even know that there were individual NPC quests in Bloodborne my first time through because I killed every NPC I met.

@Arvis - See I slipped that by ya cause I beat my Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles game so fast and swapped in Nier before anyone could even take notice! Ninja stealth, ya see.
I've made my bed. Now I'll never lie down. I'll change my mind, as often as I please.