Author Topic: A Game Journal Reborn

Rook

• View Profile
Re: A Game Journal Reborn
« Reply #6405 on: Yesterday at 02:05:18 AM »

First up is Suikoden 4.
Why would you do that to yourself?  The first game in your backlog should not be one that is almost certainly going to put you off your backlog.

[/quote]

Listen to this guy

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #6406 on: Yesterday at 02:07:57 AM »
I'm liking it, I reserve final judgment until the game is over hopefully though.

Oh, wow, I didn't last 10 hours with that game.

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #6407 on: Yesterday at 05:39:43 AM »
@Arvis: I just recently finished SC myself and am now playing Cold Steel. Yes, I felt like SC was harder BUT only at the start. The first couple of chapters were quite challenging but I felt like it calmed down after you got some quartz and equipment under your belt.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6408 on: Yesterday at 09:18:56 AM »
@Arvis: I just recently finished SC myself and am now playing Cold Steel. Yes, I felt like SC was harder BUT only at the start. The first couple of chapters were quite challenging but I felt like it calmed down after you got some quartz and equipment under your belt.
Good to know, thanks.  I'm REALLY enjoying this game already.

@Dice - "Luke cold"?

@Der Jermeister - The problem with the FE permadeath comparison to Suikoden Tactics is that, in FE, everyone is subject to permadeath.  So you can use any character you want and the stakes remain the same.  In Suikoden Tactics, ONLY optional characters being subject to it basically means the game is telling you "Look at all these extra characters you can have!  But don't use any of them."  Stupid.
Current RPG - Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6409 on: Yesterday at 03:28:23 PM »
Double-post:  I forgot to do my actual Game Journaling.

Past the prologue of Trails SC.
Spoiler: show
Did anyone else predict the "semi-twist" at the end of the prologue?  That it was all a training exercise?  I didn't think it was until I got to the fortress, and then I was like "Ok, I'm walking through the front door and nobody's doing anything about it.  This is obviously a training exercise for Estelle and Anelace."  Too many clues piled up.

Really a testament to the writing, though, that you can apply real-world logic and reach a correct conclusion.

Afterwards, I battled three idiots in a warehouse and the game tried its hardest to annoy me, giving the enemies multiple 50% Heal Bonuses IN A ROW, right at the beginning of battle, undoing the big, EP-heavy attacks I started with.  I need to remember to work that battle turn meter thing to my advantage.

Also, fishing: what's the deal?  If I get "It Got Away" three times in a row, am I doing something wrong, somehow?  As far as I understand it, I'm just supposed to hit X.

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #6410 on: Yesterday at 03:48:50 PM »
Here's my fishing tip: Yes you just press X, you wait for the signal that you've hooked something then you press X. BUT the little exclamation point is too late, go by the ting sound, and hit X immediately. Close your eyes and focus on that, that's what I did.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6411 on: Yesterday at 04:08:05 PM »
Thanks, I'll be sure to try that.

It's weird, because I caught one on my first try, and then 3 misses followed.

Der Jermeister

• The Angry Videogame Fur
    • View Profile
« Reply #6412 on: Yesterday at 06:32:15 PM »
Okay, then.

Destiny: The Collection - I think I finished the main quest of the original game and am working on The Taken King.

Dragon Quest VII 3DS - Finished the submerged land's quest and am on the road to hopefully recruiting Mervyn. Hero's still a mage, Maribel's still a sage, and Ruff's still a chimera.

Kingdom Hearts Unchained Chi - The special quests for this week involve gilding medals, and I desperately need a speed one and a higher nova level to fully complete each quest's objectives.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel II - I'm liking it thus far, but wish you could just turn off battle animations completely instead of having to constantly skip them.

MeshGearFox

• HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6413 on: Today at 12:10:28 AM »
I had to go to Target to buy glasses and then when I got home, someone found a crash with the lottery stuff in Lunatic Dawn: Passage of the Book, so I had to fix that. That was most of my evening. Yey.

Planet Dob - Went back to an earlier save and got all of the bits in Piece 1. Not sure if that does anything per se -- think it might unlock some more music stuff? Anyway, up to Piece 2 properly now. Really interested in the /band/ DOB that was behind this. Their music is quite nice.

Weltorv Estleia - So having updated my kanji lookup tool to handle certain ambiguities induced by the game's kind of grody font, took a solid crack at this for an hour and a half. Early stuff involved registering with the adventurer's guild, taking a letter to the adventurer's guild in Tete, and then getting another letter to take to the adventurer's guild in Rusha. Paper dolling in this has some fun features -- you can assign colors to every armor piece as far as I can tell, so my guy's got an orange leather armor thing on, a single golden glove, and a purple helmet, also no pants because they don't fit with the armor because ???

- Combat is turn-based, gridded strategic stuff. You have special attacks which I thiiink are based on the weapon type. Also one of the NPCs mentioned you could do combos.
- You seem to be able to buy a house and furniture.
- NPCs have schedules. Also the shadows actually rotate depending on the time of day.
-  I think NPCs have unique lines outside, and if you go bug them in their house they say random hints and occasionally ask for your opinion on something. You can cry, pull your weapon, and then there's a grumpy face and smiley face, which I think are actually disagree/agree. You know how in Steambot Chronicles you could just salute everyone like a dingus? It's like that.
- Also I think there's a style ranking for your armor/attire which I will promptly be ignoring because if a game gives you the chance to dress like an idiot by god you dress like a goshdang pumpkin with a powerglove.

idk if I necessarily have the time to devote to something as seemingly elaborate as this but it seems pretty neat.

... What was I doing before I started binging on Hudson stuff.

... Where am I?
« Last Edit: Today at 12:24:35 AM by MeshGearFox »
o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`