Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 30, 2015, 04:30:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Check out the latest RPG news!
359944 Posts in 14609 Topics by 2272 Members
Latest Member: Limlight
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Game Journals
| | |-+  A Game Journal Reborn
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 234 235 [236] Print
Author Topic: A Game Journal Reborn  (Read 211545 times)
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3525 on: June 27, 2015, 12:58:02 AM »

XIIZeal - Credit fed through this a bit to unlock some stuff for score attack.

Grim Fandango - Up to uh... the port town in this, too. Not really feeling it. Also what's with mid-/late-90s PC games with pre-rendered backdrops all having the same color scheme? Like there's this prevalence of pink/green/brick/gold that's really merinding me of Baldur's Gate 2.

Anyway there's a weird choppiness to the storytelling. To the extent where I'm not entirely sure that the port's not dropping dialogue or cutscenes or something.

ExZeal - idk if I like this as much as Trizeal or XIIZeal. Stage 1 and 2 have a pretty strong atmosphere to them, but stage 3 and 4 don't so much (and stage 4 is just kind of a continuation of 3). idk, I've not really tried 1ccing this or playing it for score properly yet. Maybe it opens up more when you do that -- Tri and XII both do.

Also dang I wish Shooting Love 10-Shuunen was cheaper cause I sort of doubt DeltaZeal's gettin' on Steam :<

Tales of Rebirth: Up to Minal, which is like the second town. Impressions so far:

+ Towns are a little on the small side but they're deffo bigger than Vesperia's. Also they have a lot of little details in them that I haven't properly had the time to read yet but uh... weekend project!

+ HOLY DANGS that art. Even the overworld has this really lovely painterly effect to it. Who knew that 2D sprites of trees on a 3D map could look so neat?

+ Battle system's working for me. I never really got behind the 3D battle systems proper for whatever reason.

+ tbh I welcome the random battles. I've mentioned this before but I feel like in a lot of games with enemies-on-the-map, you either get dungeon designs that are sort of weird because they accommodate being able to run from the enemies, or you have cool dungeons and enemies are basically unavoidable battles a la CT (which honestly I think works fine but nobody goes that route).

+ Adorable interactions between Mao and Catbro.

- The story's doing that tales thing where there's some BIG MAGIC THING that controls everything. Oh well, at least it's some normal Star Wars esque thing called "Horse" and not the infamous Mexican bandit Craymél Artés.

- It's also doing that /wall of face chats/ thing. Just make like one slightly longer face chat instead of throwing like 30 really tiny ones at me dang son.

- Music's still decent enough and not Sakuraba during his weird buttrock phase (SO3 was Sakuraba right?), but I can't say I ever really got on board with his post-VP stuff (iirc Baten Kaitos had some nice songs but I mean I got that game for Christmas the year granny all gave us a horrible stomach disease for Christmas so it's kind of hard to remember anything about the game beyond watching Nick Jr. in between bouts of p. radical vomiting all day).
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 01:48:53 AM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

glassjawsh
insolent cur

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #3526 on: June 27, 2015, 08:27:40 AM »

Tactics Ogre is simply refusing to end, I've given up on doing any more side content and am just going to dump truck my way to the finish.  I have a legitimate problem with quitting games right before the final dungeon that has extended the better part of 2 decades and my list of games I have ALMOST beaten is probably longer than games I've stuck it all the way through with.

Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3527 on: June 27, 2015, 12:59:31 PM »

Tactics Ogre is simply refusing to end, I've given up on doing any more side content and am just going to dump truck my way to the finish.  I have a legitimate problem with quitting games right before the final dungeon that has extended the better part of 2 decades and my list of games I have ALMOST beaten is probably longer than games I've stuck it all the way through with.

I do that, too, and more than just games. Right now I have two bites of a sandwhich, one cracker with cheese on it, and one chip all on a plate...but I can't eat anymore...yet the lunch must go on...

Thankfully I have a little dog who can help me out here. Now if only he could play games...
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 01:01:24 PM by Mickeymac92 » Logged

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3528 on: June 27, 2015, 01:46:39 PM »

I stopped playing Monster Monpiece after getting really stuck on a battle. That was over a year ago. Just started it up again yesterday, really didn't remember how to play all that well, and won the battle I was stuck on in a single attempt. That felt great.
eXaX

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3529 on: June 28, 2015, 04:37:25 AM »

Cvilization 5 [PC] - So that just happened. I went back to playing as Germany taking over the world through military aggression. Currently I was obliterating the Aztecs, seizing three of their cities in succession and razing all of them down. So I decide to go for their capital and align my artillery forces in position to bombard the city. Since my military power is considerably more powerful than anything they have I bring the defenses of the city down, ripe for occupational forces to go in. However, my land forces aren't capable of reaching the city within the turn so I decide to just wait for one turn.

Then out of the blue comes a  f*cking city state whose name I don't remember and occupies the city.

Whaaaat?

Didn't even know that was possible. So now, a city state holds a capital city.

Well, the good thing is that I think I skipped the warmonger penalty since it wasn't my country that took the city.

Pages: 1 ... 234 235 [236] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: