Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 27, 2015, 07:58:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Have a great 2015 from all of us at RPGfan. :)
355912 Posts in 14457 Topics by 2262 Members
Latest Member: Yoru
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Game Journals
| | |-+  Retro Encounter Podcast Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] Print
Author Topic: Retro Encounter Podcast Thread  (Read 2260 times)
Wild Armor
Observer
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #180 on: May 26, 2015, 05:08:52 PM »

The editing/production could have used a bit more work, or better environments as there was some pretty serious echo, and I could barely hear one of the other hosts (sorry don't know your voices just yet).

In regards to the mic volume, that's probably me. I generally record at middle/Middle-low volume because I talk relatively loud in person, so I didn't want to overshadow the others. Now, the reason why I talk loud in person is because my hearing is a bit partial. It's a little difficult to get the right volume during recording--especially during night when I have to watch my volume (people asleep), but talk loud enough so my mic can pick me up. For this recording, It felt like it was low to me, but I wasn't sure how low it really was. I'll keep this in mind for our next recording. Thanks for the tip. ;)

Also, more images:

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
Erpy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #181 on: May 26, 2015, 05:18:10 PM »

Can you feel the enthusiasm?
Dice
I'm fart and I'm smunny
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #182 on: May 26, 2015, 05:37:52 PM »

I absolutely agree. It's the same reason I don't play a chunk of the of the turn-based RPGs released these days. If it's average turn-based combat, it's something IV"e seen a million times. The game excels in other areas, so I wish I didn't have to slog through the fights to get to the part I'm really interested in.

I remember at least 'liking' the TitS battle system (so like that 6/10 range where it passes but just) for at least having that small SRPG like component and effective differentiation between the Arts and Crafts.  For the most part though, and in large part of why I tend to avoid/dislike the DQ series, is because of that hardcore traditional turn-based being much to slow and generally unoriginal.  The only 'traditional' gameplay I've liked is the SMT series and FFX (for its speed, even drawing up the command menu during the previous character's attack)...  then there's also the 'less traditional turn-based' like Radiant Historia which completely flipped turn-based on its head (and for the better) or Earthbound 3 for its rolling meter HP and rhythmic battle mechanics.

The amount of nitpicking in the Podcast can be somewhat irritating or sometimes goes on a little long (but I think this is an ethos of most criticism, or one especially found in gaming commentary), but I can understand if the game isn't everyone's speed (literally?); but it is interesting to see how some opinions have definitely changed after the prologue and first chapter (I think even hardcore fans would agree on that count though).

Great to hear reactions, laughs, insights, Oliver being awesome, the pronunciation of "Nial", and so on.  And yeah, the music. :D
Great podcast

« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 09:01:30 PM by Dice » Logged

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
DaviKaze
Contributing Editor

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #183 on: May 26, 2015, 08:41:42 PM »

Thanks for all the honest criticism, guys.  We'll do our best to improve going forward with your feedback!  Er, I know that sounds corny, but I mean it!

Also, I hope I haven't come off as too harsh on TitS.  I really love this game.  The battle system is totally fine, it just needs to move way faster so I don't notice it getting in the way of my sweet, sweet story progression.

Not even Jupiter can find a missed opportunity.
Taelus
Some music guy
Administrator

I'm really feeling it!

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #184 on: May 26, 2015, 10:26:35 PM »

Yeah-- we don't want to seem too negative! We all agree that balance is important-- and we're still getting our sea legs here-- so for starters we're going to try starting episodes off on a positive note moving forward, even if our thoughts end up being more middling or negative! We really do appreciate everyone's honest feedback too, like Davi and Marcos said. We want this to be a great time for everyone.

"Steb I'm always channeling my inner rage. I'm basically a tall, skinny, pointy-eared, pale she-hulk with a giant stick." - Liz

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: