Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 28, 2014, 03:39:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338751 Posts in 13865 Topics by 2217 Members
Latest Member: milz
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Game Journals
| | |-+  Klutz64's Quest "4" A Star Ocean Platinum
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Klutz64's Quest "4" A Star Ocean Platinum  (Read 263 times)
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: November 03, 2014, 07:48:23 PM »

I've been meaning to start this project for a while now, but never really found the time. However, all these Interstellar previews have gotten me in the mood to play the game, so why not give this a shot?

And considering it was kind of my idea to start this forum, I should probably contribute something to it. So here we are: my very long-term adventures in attempting to get the Platinum trophy for Star Ocean 4.

A BRIEF HISTORY

I got the game originally on the XBox 360, before I owned a PS3. I really enjoyed the game(play) but the disc swapping was absolutely maddening during the endgame. So I finished the game with a basic playthrough, acquiring very few extras and didn't really touch it afterward.

Then I got my PS3 and eventually picked up the International Version. Only played to about level 20 before becoming distracted by something else and haven't touched in over two years.

For this project, I've deleted the battle trophy data from my last game to start somewhat fresh. I say somewhat because I did keep my current PSN trophy collection for the game. I only mention this because I plan on starting most posts with the current playtime and current trophy percentage. So while this ratio may not be 100% accurate, I doubt in the grand scheme of things it will make much difference.

THE GAME THAT COULD HAVE BEEN

I mentioned the Interstellar trailers because I really wanted that to be what this game was: A story about a journey to find a new home, like the introduction promises. Instead we get a space virus, lizard people, time travel, and the origins of that ever-present plot device, the UP3.

The crafting system, the environments, the gathering skills, the hub ship... all these things could have been used to make an amazing free-roaming, main-plot-takes-second-fiddle, explore-the-galaxy-to-your-heart's-content, sandbox-ish RPG.

Heck, the intro would have made a better linear RPG to play through than what we were given. The characters even seem to have had a lot better character development during that time.

Anyway, let's begin...

CALNUS...ENGAGE!!

Everything that comes out of a character's mouth in this game is completely stupid. EVERY SINGLE LINE.
--"The ship's taken severe damage!"
-----"Thank heavens the ship didn't take too much damage!"

---"Now go travel to the far reaches of space to save our planet from our own mutual destruction--BWAHHAHAHAA"
------Seriously, why does he laugh at the end of that line? We're not sending a probe to Mars to look for Martians.

---GRAVITY FLUCTUATIONS!!
-----GRAVITY FLUCTUATIONS!?!?
--------GRAVITY FLUCTUATIONS!!!!!11!!1!

---"I can't believe you would do something so stupid!"
------"I--uh--saved a bunch of crew members from ravenous monsters?"
----------"I know, right!? I'm never speaking to you again!"

Let's take a moment to remember that this game felt the need to give a SCIENTIFIC EXPLANATION for why the main character uses a sword in the future of guns.

Meanwhile, this crew is being heralded as heroes for embarking on this super dangerous trip (that takes all of two minutes, if you were paying attention). But when the captain asks central command for support from the military, Shimada's response isn't "We don't have the resources for that, that's why WE MADE SUCH A BIG DEAL OUT OF PLACING MANKIND'S FUTURE IN THE HANDS OF YOU GUYS!"
But rather... "I don't feel like it."
Just, everything after the initial launch makes everything feel a lot less tense.

But enough of that, let's talk good stuff:

The graphics in this game are still amazingly detailed and gorgeous to look at (again, making me wish there was more free roaming). Sure, the graphics are probably not nearly as good when you take away the blanket of bloom over everything, but I'm still blown away by them regardless. I also like how the monsters are designed with their environment in mind. I've had plenty of times where I would run into a monster I didn't even realize was there because it blended in with it's surroundings so well. But it's not just the environmental graphics...

The UI for this game is by far my favorite for any game. It loads quickly, it looks and feels smooth and unhindered by needless fluff (despite having a ton of things to keep track of), and the character portraits in classic mode are fantastic. Especially Reimi's....

Reimi is the savior of the entire cast. Love her hair, love her weapon, love everything about her design. She's certainly the most distinctly Japanese looking anime character I've ever known. Plus she can be super OP in the beginning of the game.

TODAY'S DISCUSSION

How do you guys compare the combat system in this game with the Tales' games. I've never been very good with the combat in Tales (especially the Xillia battle system), but I'm pretty good with this one. I think this one is slightly slower paced, making it easier to transition between attacking and defending. Yet, despite a slower pace it's still stylish as all hell, and the amount of strategies and options at your disposal makes it a great battle system for generating "stories"
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 07:55:53 PM by Klutz64 » Logged
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2014, 08:28:43 PM »

I've actually always preferred the Star Ocean battle system (in line with their years of release of course) to the Tales system, but Tales has a lot more to go on and many more titles to play.  They were always less restrictive and great about having that almost WRPG-ish idea of grinding for the best weapons.  SO is also much better about making their games harder; Tales game's idea of "difficulty modes" tends to be just giving enemies more HP and the player dealing less damage.

I actually really didn't like the super colourful Japanese menu and hooonestly preferred the more sci-fi and deep space look of the overseas release (sorry).  I liked that the original was more cartoony and colourful, but since it didn't match with the in-game (well, frankly, neither actually did match the in-game style) I was sort of iffy about it.... and the fact the blue and rusty red contrast just looks like butt to me.  But in the end, I did switch them up from time to time because they both did work.

Even a more unpopular opinion was that I actually *loved* the FMV look of realistic characters.  Unfortunately, the SO team didn't pick their battles and opted for THREE DIFFERENT styles.  

The anime one was nice (Katsumi Enami is a brilliant artist) but I'm not sure how well it worked against the 3D in the game.  The in-game graphics were criticized for being doll-like and creepy --- but I give a TON of credit for being a rare anime-J title that even bothered with texturing (something the Tales series can barely deal with, it seems).  Then the realistic style was quite lovely but takes real people with....anime proportions (big eyes, tiny waists, big heads) and makes it somewhat off-putting to look at.

The crafting system, the environments, the gathering skills, the hub ship... all these things could have been used to make an amazing free-roaming, main-plot-takes-second-fiddle, explore-the-galaxy-to-your-heart's-content, sandbox-ish RPG.

Heck, the intro would have made a better linear RPG to play through than what we were given. The characters even seem to have had a lot better character development during that time.

Yeah I remember by eyes GLITTERING with all the potential, and I've ALWAYS adored SO as the nerd-match that brought JRPG, fantasy, and Sci-fi together and I'll always love it for that.  But it quickly lost steam as soon as the Earth segment happened ("losing steam" being a possible understatement), then the plot was dead for me by the end of Roak.  

I honestly wish to fuck that Tri-Ace didn't fuck up the plot and characters so bad...  This is that once in a blue moon TRAIN WRECK of bad characters matching up with an equally bad plot where everything else was so much better but still brought down the entire title.

Star Ocean 4, on a gameplay-only basis, was almost perfect to me.  I loved the wandering, and Tri-Ace has very competent 3D artists that made the world look beautifully coloured, brightly lit, and perfectly crisp.

Let's take a moment to remember that this game felt the need to give a SCIENTIFIC EXPLANATION for why the main character uses a sword in the future of guns.

I was thinking about this when I was playing FF7 and I think have an answer.  Call of Duty shows and proves that any obnoxious teenaged idiot who's claimed to have "fucked your mother" over Live Chat can use a gun.... but using a sword puts the action, literally, "in your hands" and makes it much more personal and more about skill than pulling a trigger.  I'm simplifying a bit, and that's not to say there haven't been awesome gun-wielders (WA3's cast, Maria in SO3, ME, Dante from DMC, ...fucken Megaman).

I'd actually give up Zelda Wii U (for example?) if it meant a new Star Ocean title that "got it all right"

Ah well, here's an old piece of art that inspires me and reminds me a ton of SO4
http://i.imgur.com/0MpUplm.jpg
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 08:30:58 PM by Dice » Logged

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
glassjawsh
insolent cur

corn is no place for a mighty warrior

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2014, 09:14:43 PM »

this fucking game...

I like this thread for the same reason I like watching a train wreck

Out of all of the games I've managed to slog through, I think I liked this one the least. I only made it to the end because the battle system is so much fun (and I'm pretty sure opinion on that is split).  It definitely seemed easier to grasp than most Tales games.  Hell, I made it through all of Tales of Symphonia without really being sure what the heck I was doing during fights.

Unsolicited Opinion: Tales of Eternia was/is my favorite setup from either series.  So underrated.

Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2014, 12:02:29 AM »

Oh, man, this Platinum. I was going to go for it on the PS3 version before my game froze up multiple times in a row while I was deep in the optional dungeon each time, before we knew what was causing the freezing.

I just lost so much time and effort to the freezes that I said fuck it.

A few times I've ended up Platinuming games that take so much effort, like SO4, I usually end up enjoying them a lot less. Like Nier's terrible Platinum.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2014, 04:20:49 PM »

Nier soured me on the whole idea of getting platinums and is probably one of the reasons I kind of swore off trophy collecting entirely...

Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2014, 05:57:42 PM »

I normally don't care about achievements in games, but in terms of gameplay, this is one of my favorite titles and I have a lot of fun collecting the battle trophies, so I'm kind of determined to get this.
Damacon

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2014, 09:49:38 AM »

I had a hard time remembering this game, I was sure I have played it so I had to look into it more to find out and I think that was the main problem with this game is that it really didn't leave a impact on you for most people. Overall no it wasn't a bad game at all and I did enjoy it because sometimes corny characters make me smile. Like a lot of RPGs have that friendship and love theme built in but this one was so straightforward about it that it just came off as humorous. The overall plot was a great plot of people trying to find a new home but most of the character writing and depth was just bad.

I will completely agree that the world was awesome, I wish more games took the time and effort to make areas of the world so detailed/unique. This is another game that did some great things but never got the credit for it and its ways were mostly lost in time due to bad sales. It makes me wonder if people who make games actually play games enough to find out why people don't like them and then try to improve the things that are lacking.
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2014, 11:01:06 AM »

I normally don't care about achievements in games, but in terms of gameplay, this is one of my favorite titles and I have a lot of fun collecting the battle trophies, so I'm kind of determined to get this.

I can already see you having less fun trying to do exactly 77,777 damage.
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2014, 11:11:07 AM »

I can already see you having less fun trying to do exactly 77,777 damage.

Haha, I already remember being super frustrated trying to get Reimi to do 1,111 damage.
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2014, 06:05:03 PM »

I didn't mind those achievements.  Granted the "final few" will probably be annoying, but fighting enough (and you will be) is sure to net you a bunch of those tropies.  It's probably just a good idea to keep switching things up.

I also questioned whether or not I liked the character design or not.  Edge Maverick has a perfectly boring outfit scheme to go with his perfectly derivative name; and Reimi actually has a futuristic skirt of...like...techno-flaps.  Ah well, the colouring is lovely at least (I especially love that this is one of those rare occasions that an MC has blond and GREEN eyes as opposed to the usual blue most games opt for).

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2014, 12:05:51 AM »

Mid-post Update:

The going is kind of slow on this one. It takes a bit of time in each area to max out the monster data and I'm playing a bunch of other games as well. So I do apologize that the posts aren't coming quite as quickly as I would like. I'm currently finishing off the first dungeon and I'll probably do another long-form post once I circle back around to Triom.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: