Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 31, 2016, 12:13:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Check out the latest RPG news!
246783 Posts in 7387 Topics by 2383 Members
Latest Member: xxkinsmanxx
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  General Games
| | |-+  No Man's Sky -or- Meet Yoda in the Stars.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print
Author Topic: No Man's Sky -or- Meet Yoda in the Stars.  (Read 11827 times)
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2016, 11:45:43 AM »

Cool, thanks.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Yoda
Fear is the Mind Killer

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: July 25, 2016, 08:56:42 PM »

Soon! 
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: August 11, 2016, 02:03:25 AM »

Anybody get it? I'm trying to build anti-matter now. (That's not really a spoiler)

Towns Car Marty
For Play in Town and Car!
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #48 on: August 11, 2016, 04:42:22 AM »

It's neat! I like the little event paragraphs when you investigate certain outposts. Relaxing, creepy game.

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: August 11, 2016, 10:51:31 AM »

The beginning is pretty shitty actually.

It doesn't explain anything and you're left to your own devices, figuring out stuff that could have solved with either a manual or simple explanations.

Once you get past getting the anti-matter and are actually able to go out and explore systems, the game gets much, much better. I'm enjoying it far more now than at the start.

Agent D.

Agent Bewear.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: August 16, 2016, 09:35:01 PM »

So many people bought this game, so much hype...but wow the negative reviews and word of mouth about how boring it is astonishes me.

TASTY!
Klutz64
I Like Wacky Hats

Tactically Engaged in Espionage Action

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: August 17, 2016, 12:14:14 AM »

Disappointing, sure, but hardly astonishing. I mean this is a game that managed to generate 3 years of hype with nary a detail about how the game actually played.

My Blog - It's about gaming stuff. You can read it if you want. No pressure. I mean, there's a link there you just have to click on, but... y'know... whatever.
Current Post: Grand Re-re-r-e-re-opening!
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: August 17, 2016, 12:39:39 AM »

Disappointing, sure, but hardly astonishing. I mean this is a game that managed to generate 3 years of hype with nary a detail about how the game actually played.

No, those details were readily available and doled out on a regular basis. It's just that the people getting hyped got worked up without ever reading any of those details. Everyone just assumed that a galactic-wide sandbox would have a ton of variety, and maybe more things will come down the line - Elite: Dangerous started out pretty sparse, but its been getting better as it goes. Anything could happen - But for now we got what was promised over two years ago.

Then again, some people are also disappointed even knowing what was in store, so it's not like ignorance is the only flaw...

« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 12:41:20 AM by Mickeymac92 » Logged

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes
Arvis
Prudish Gerontophobe

Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: August 17, 2016, 10:03:44 AM »

Someone needs to figure out how to blend this with some FTL-style mechanics.

Speaking as someone who has never touched the game, of course.

Current RPG - Valkyria Chronicles
Rook

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: August 18, 2016, 10:32:44 AM »

From what I've seen and heard it sounds a lot like Xenoblade Chronicles X. Only without the wonderment of exploration, a lot worse graphics, combat that's not fun, and zero JRPG wackiness.

However thanks to no one buying a WiiU and OMG HYPE its probably already sold 10X the copies that XCX did.

Artimicia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: August 20, 2016, 04:15:55 AM »

It looked really bland.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: August 20, 2016, 12:58:53 PM »

I'm honestly surprised that so many people seem surprised by the blandness.  Did they honestly believe that such a small team was going to be able to craft a world that size and still manage to make every bit of it unique an interesting?  This has always been the issue with procedural generation.  Have we forgotten Spore?

Oh well, hindsight is 20/20 of course and it's not like I was shitting on the game early on either (though part of that is just not wanting to rain on people's parades...) but I was always kind of skeptical about whether this game would be any fun.  It's still a cool technical achievement though.

DHKany
Contributing Editor

Dank Souls

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: August 26, 2016, 11:09:05 AM »

I'm honestly surprised that so many people seem surprised by the blandness.  Did they honestly believe that such a small team was going to be able to craft a world that size and still manage to make every bit of it unique an interesting?  This has always been the issue with procedural generation.  Have we forgotten Spore?

Oh well, hindsight is 20/20 of course and it's not like I was shitting on the game early on either (though part of that is just not wanting to rain on people's parades...) but I was always kind of skeptical about whether this game would be any fun.  It's still a cool technical achievement though.

Given that Sean Murray pretty much outright lied about a lot of game features, as well as playing on some premade build of the game made to wow people, the consumers aren't necessarily at fault here. Hello Games pulled just as much shtick to hype the game up, regardless of how unrealistic their goals were (E3 2014 footage is also still being used on the game's store page on steam which is miles different from what's actually ingame).

"All those moments will be lost in time... like tears.. in rain" -Roy Batty
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: August 26, 2016, 06:54:50 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2qKAX_QaoI

Jim actually has a pretty decent list of what was falsely said about NMS.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: August 26, 2016, 09:16:28 PM »

So I guess my original cynicism wasn't entirely /wrong/ but misguided in the sense that it sounds like the procgen stuff works /good/ and it's the actual game side of things that's kinda *wavery hand motion, high-pitched non-committal mouth noise*

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: