Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 30, 2016, 03:28:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Check out the latest RPG news!
244698 Posts in 7323 Topics by 2386 Members
Latest Member: Richard111
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  General Games
| | |-+  How much do you care whether something is interactive or not?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: How much do you care whether something is interactive or not?  (Read 36 times)
Artimicia

View Profile

Ignore
« on: July 29, 2016, 05:23:48 PM »

Hello RPGFan.

So... this is something that's been on my mind for a long time now. Like many, I grew up playing a combination of video games, consuming anime, watching movies, and just generally doing a variety of things.

In recent times, I found that habit or tendency has kind of been even more exaggerated, now I will play a bit of a video game, but then decide to watch the related movie or something over and over, like with Star Fox and this silly gem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wA2-0nTxaGg

One thing I know, is that I definitely care if something is "interesting" to me or not, if it's fun or exciting, than that takes precedence over whether it's interactive or not. A video game with a really interesting backstory or something about it I'm going to want to engage with one way or another, but I wonder just how important it is that it's necessary? Even more to the point a lot of Nintendo games have related media and I find myself just engaging with them almost as much as just playing the games.

I bring up the Nintendo example because those were most of the games I played back in the day.

Meanwhile, when it comes to RPGs, these are games that were always just partially interactive, in the first place, many of them focusing on characters,  music, etc, as well.

So, for people who have played games or been gamers for a long time, what does the interactivity element achieve for you? I know we had a controller thread here and I think it reminded me how being active and thinking about those things were interesting, but now I've also played Dark Souls 2 on a keyboard and honestly it is the weirdest way to play that game but I was kind of basically fine with it.

Artimicia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2016, 05:42:41 PM »

A good competing example is something like Fatal Frame 5, where I mentioned here using the gamepad as a camera was a pretty heavily integrated thing that has kind of a unique effect on the experience. Moreover, since it's a horror game, you are feeling the extra kind of immersion perhaps since you are the one that has to dash through hallways or defeat ghosts and so on..

On the other hand, I know a lot about why I enjoy that game or media or property is simply because it's really cool looking and I know reviewers didn't like the characters and stuff but I was pretty sucked into the world generally.

But yes this thread isn't intended purely to advocate a position or another but simply to collect opinions on the matter, if anyone wishes to share. =-)

Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2016, 09:42:48 PM »

I can't even begin to figure out what the topic of this thread is supposed to be.

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2016, 10:05:53 PM »

I've noticed lately that I like games with... maybe not beautiful per se, but interesting worlds I can wander around in, at my own pace.

You don't really get that from, say, a movie.

I guess I would compare it to walking through an art museum versus watching a documentary about art. You're still seeing the same sculptures and paintings but in the former you get to spend as much or as little time looking at individual pieces as you like.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: