Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 29, 2015, 05:00:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Check out the latest RPG news!
362982 Posts in 14704 Topics by 2301 Members
Latest Member: FrustratedLeadingTone
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Data Whore 4: the one where Josh sifts through console sales figures (1977-2015)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Data Whore 4: the one where Josh sifts through console sales figures (1977-2015)  (Read 648 times)
glassjawsh
The One True Shitlord

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« on: August 07, 2015, 11:56:18 AM »

You may remember my previous installments of what is fairly obviously going to become a regular thing with me.  If you don't, and you wish to bore yourself to tears and regret every second of reading it, here are links to two entries that I'm completely embarrassed by: Josh breaks down every game of the year pick ever http://www.rpgfan.com/boards/index.php?topic=14628.0 and Josh plays to everyone's vanity by posting forum statistics http://www.rpgfan.com/boards/index.php?topic=14539.0.

For this version of Data Whore (that's me!), I decided to compare the sales figures of (almost) every major video game console sold in the last 38 years.   The spreadsheet linked below includes the Name, Manufacturer, Lifespan, Sales totals and Launch price (adjusted for inflation) of each system that I decided was worth the time it would take to sift through multiple internet sources.

A few quick notes about what is going on in the excel file: the release and discontinue dates are the initial release and the year that production of the console was ceased entirely.  If I was going to include worldwide sales totals it only made sense that I also keep track of the entire run of the machine and not just the North American numbers.  HOWEVER, in interest of consistency, the launch price is the price during the NA launch and inflation was adjusted according to what year the console came out in the NA market.

I will probably post some thoughts later, but right now I have to go mow the lawn.  ENJOY (or don't, I don't really care).

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=DE0BC7413D94FE0D!112&authkey=!AC9n9HInk-OSGHA&ithint=file%2cods

As always, if you have any concerns or complaints, please direct them here ---> http://goo.gl/gpR6yV
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 11:57:49 AM by glassjawsh » Logged

glassjawsh
The One True Shitlord

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2015, 01:25:00 PM »

thoughts: I must be the only one on here that's interested in this kind of thing.

So in order to cheer myself up, here's a picture of Macgyver

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW YEAH!!

and a picture of Scott Bakula from Quantum Leap

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA????!

Better mood achieved.

Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2015, 12:07:44 AM »

I don't think it's so much that it's uninteresting as I think people who are into gaming probably already have a general idea of how each console generation went.

I was actually planning on making a response to the Sega Saturn thread, but since this thread is basically that plus a bunch of other stuff I guess I'll go ahead and just give my own experience with it.

My first console was a Famicom, and I think I was too young to even really know the other two big ones existed, so not much to say on that from me.

From the fourth to sixth generation pretty much all the popular consoles were in the house at one point. SNES/Genesis/GB/Game Gear from the fourth, PS/N64/Sega Saturn from the fifth (Personally I played the SS way more than the other ones, it was actually the first 5th gen console we had, loved me some SF3, Guardian Heroes and Game Arts games), PS2/GC/GBA from the sixth (though we had an Xbox for a short stint). Seems to line up right with the numbers for the most part.

Then starting from the seventh generation there was basically no new consoles left in the house. I think the big change was that both my brothers were in college and I alone was stuck in the house. I pretty much just played whatever they bought/had bought for them and only got something for myself once in a while (because there generally wasn't really a need for me to). Since I was in a house with over a dozen consoles and a huge backlog, I saw no reason to buy a new console. I did eventually get a 360 and a Wii (but if not for my brothers I probably wouldn't have gotten those, one of them is basically a hand-me-down and one of them had some kind of special deal going on as I recall).

Today all the seventh and eighth generation consoles are in the house, but probably because my brothers live there at the moment- I, on the other hand, now live about 10 thousand miles away and the only eighth generation console I have is a 3DS. I'd say for me, I've enjoyed playing on handhelds more since the GBA. I can relax on a bed while playing and take it where I go if I need to, and the latter is becoming a bigger deal as I get older, especially with my plans for the future. Mobile games may be able to replace them in the future, but for the time being I really have not played a single original mobile game which can compare to something on a dedicated handheld console. As for the Vita doing poorly, well, I can say I don't own one at least, heh. I mostly got the 3DS to play Pokemon and Megaman Legends 3 NEVER EVER so I guess I'd say I follow the games instead of the console, otherwise I would've been fine just playing my DS some more.

If I really wanted to play a game on a big screen I find it so much more convenient to play on a PC- I'm probably already on the PC to do work anyway (or browsing RPGFan of course) and a PC would be a lot more important to take around with me while a travel as opposed to a console. My 360 is basically gathering dust at this point, but I do fire it up once in a while to play Ikaruga or somethjing.
Wild Armor
Observer
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2015, 03:16:39 PM »

thoughts: I must be the only one on here that's interested in this kind of thing.

That's not true. ;) Personally, I've just busy with retro encounter and working most days at my full time job.

I always appreciate when someone goes out of their way for data/info-gathering. ;) I do the same for indie composers/videogame music/music in general and have amassed multiple, long-winded notepad files (You should see my game/anime mashup tracklist and arranger list). ;)

In regards to your post:

That's really interesting information their on the excel file! ;) Interesting seeing names like "Fairchild Channel F" and "Arcadia 2001" in that list. So, out of curiosity, do you happen to own a copy of "Game Machines" by Winnie Foster? I think you might enjoy that book, especially just the infodump about every console/handhelp/etc they cover in the book in the appendix. :)

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
glassjawsh
The One True Shitlord

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2015, 01:51:19 PM »

That's not true. ;) Personally, I've just busy with retro encounter and working most days at my full time job.

I always appreciate when someone goes out of their way for data/info-gathering. ;) I do the same for indie composers/videogame music/music in general and have amassed multiple, long-winded notepad files (You should see my game/anime mashup tracklist and arranger list). ;)

In regards to your post:

That's really interesting information their on the excel file! ;) Interesting seeing names like "Fairchild Channel F" and "Arcadia 2001" in that list. So, out of curiosity, do you happen to own a copy of "Game Machines" by Winnie Foster? I think you might enjoy that book, especially just the infodump about every console/handhelp/etc they cover in the book in the appendix. :)

I just ordered that book for purchase at IndyPL.  THANKS!

Wild Armor
Observer
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2015, 11:43:43 PM »

In regards to your post:

I just ordered that book for purchase at IndyPL.  THANKS!

Very nice! Let me know what you think of it after it comes in. I really like all the interesting tidbits about each console and the pictures. Man, when I saw the amount of pictures in this book, I was so happy! I've read enough info-dump books where it describes something in great detail, but sometimes I just want to look at pictures.

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: