Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 21, 2014, 01:20:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341128 Posts in 13942 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Misc. Gaming News Topic
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 46 Print
Author Topic: Misc. Gaming News Topic  (Read 27103 times)
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #300 on: July 29, 2014, 07:23:36 AM »

Gust being absorbed into Koei Tecmo

Of course Koei Tecmo has owned Gust since 2011, but they nevertheless operated as a largely independent subsidiary.  It sounds like after this Gust as we know it will cease to exist and Gust's staff will be merged into the rest of Koei Tecmo.  There will still be a Gust brand, but it remains to be seen exactly what they're going to do with it.
Well article says that the Gust developmental department will be kept alive, so I take that as there is now going to be a Gust team in Koei Tecmo. So this news doesn't sound too horrible for the immediate future.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #301 on: July 30, 2014, 09:20:03 PM »

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/07/30/breath-fire-6-launches-spring-2015-ios-android-browsers/

A reminder that this is still in the process of becoming an actual thing.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #302 on: July 30, 2014, 09:47:00 PM »

^You know, the last two years of seeing people getting salty over iOS games I figured out that being mad at them is as pointless as being mad at MMOs in the long run.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #303 on: July 31, 2014, 01:34:53 PM »

I'm less mad about it being an iOS game and more mad that it's an online, possibly social-based RPG, which tend to be really lame almost by their very definition. If they were actually putting effort into it as a singleplayer RPG, I'd probably be okay with it. RPGs tend to play decently with touch interfaces, since they usually don't require intense precision anyways.

EDIT: Or maybe I'm wrong. I see the Wikia page was recently updated and now it sounds...different from what I expected, though I'll still need a few more details. I guess I'll withhold judgment until I at least see some gameplay (and not just battles. What I'm worried about is how you travel)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 01:41:53 PM by Mickeymac92 » Logged

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #304 on: August 04, 2014, 11:18:49 PM »

Batman Is Everything Wrong With Square Enix -- The Escapist

For a guy that I assume gets paid to essentially bitch about other's people work every week, he sometimes seems to have way too much fun putting as much teasing as he can to bring negative reaction from 'fanboys' (whatever that word even means nowadays) to his videos.

More often than not I have a hard time agreeing with Jim, but here he's just one of those guys who either loves his own bullshit too much or is ignoring that SQEX's problems started back in the last few years of Squaresoft's life along with the risk a company like SQEX today can put themselves in if one of their big releases doesn't do the numbers they need or expect to keep their business alive, and that's without mentioning the mess they make out of their development cycle for those for big releases.

But hey, seeing that Batman figure as an allegory and yet another reason to keep disliking SQEX is more fun in the long run instead. From where I'm sitting though this is a misguided attempt at being clever, and people are buying it.

Now, I don't really care about SQEX and much less about its audience, but this boner people have for hating on SQEX for "tarnishing its own legacy" it got to the point to be cartoonishly entertaining if you see it from a certain perspective.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #305 on: August 05, 2014, 12:14:53 AM »

I actually agree with a lot of what Jim says in the videos I've seen...but than again, I only watch his videos when it's a subject where I'd actually value his opinion.

So basically I've only watched 10 of his videos.

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #306 on: August 05, 2014, 04:06:04 PM »

^I've seen Jim's "work" on gaming sites for a few years now. While he's proud being so full of shit sometimes, in other cases he's on point.

You are always going to agree with him though if you are pro-consumer above all else. For me however is hard to agree with him because he's not the guy who sees the big picture, he just takes all the hate that comes out of gaming sites and condenses that into one video and people love it.

All of what he said in the video I linked for example is the exact same thing SQEX "fans" (put emphasis on those quotation marks) have said for 15 years now. He's not saying the truth, he's not being clever, he's only saying what some people want to hear and is pathetic.

---

biohazard HD REMASTER -- Capcom

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧ FUCK YES! IT'S HAPPENING!!

Hopefully Capcom does a good job porting REmake. Still, I'm super excited about this!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 04:08:00 PM by Yggdrasil » Logged
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #307 on: August 05, 2014, 05:53:04 PM »

I completely agree with the video actually.  I think it's the FF series in general that keeps finding it necessary to be the NEXT BIG, BEST, BETTER, BUILDING PINNACLE for gaming that it's just kinda...saturating itself.

I'm really cautiously optimistic for FF15, but (judging from gameplay and brief story snippets) I feel like we're getting more flash and pazazz than something more down to earth.

That Batman figure is incredibly ostentatious; it might look cool on some level, but it really whizzes by one's head how that's a version of Batman.  It's interesting, but kinda really tacky.

...he just takes all the hate that comes out of gaming sites and condenses that into one video and people love it.

Eh.  There's a peculiar trend with a lot of popular media right now.  Cinema Sins, Jim, Yahtzee, Gordon Ramsey, Simon Cowell, etc.  Bad/mean reviews tend to cause more debate and are a lot more fun than some person just bragging about how 'great' something is.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #308 on: August 05, 2014, 06:47:29 PM »

^I've said this before many times; Any company with long-running franchises reaches a point of saturation. How that saturation from that point on is handled by the company is their own business to take care of.

For as much as people like to disagree with me, this is not about saying how great X things is, is about appreciating the big picture and cutting the crap with sensationalistic bullshit.

But, of course people is gonna agree with Jim. He knows what people likes to hear, so good for him for making a living out of that.
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #309 on: August 05, 2014, 07:46:02 PM »

I think it's more than that.  The guy is a good writer and tends to make a good argument for what's he talking about.  Anyone can and has made the same basic premise that he has, but he usually makes clever/witty points that are much more entertaining than just the message itself.  Maybe it's click-bait, maybe it is indeed his own feelings on it.  Also, I'm not sure how many people equated "Play Arts Batman by Nomura" as an analogy for the "current Square Enix state" ---- cuz otherwise a lot of people have already just complained about the latter and former separately.  I tip my hat off to the guy, I think he's a great persona for VG commentary and someone I find amusing and pretty insightful (i.e.; thinking things I never thought myself).

I remember liking his talk about "Sexual Failing".  Less about the sexy bits and more about the simplicity of some video game relationships and sex-scenes (Friend Zone is a debate for another day).  But same thing here; agree or not, he knows how to write a good sentence or two.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/8300-Sexual-Failing

< * Was in School's Debate Club*

EDIT: And true a lot of companies fall into sequel-saturation.  I don't have much to say about that other than "fuck greed" cuz that's all it is: Milking a cash cow dry.  But it works so often...  But apparently there's also over 100 movie sequels being in the works.  Shit sells, people buy it.  Whattya'gunna'do?

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #310 on: August 05, 2014, 09:17:43 PM »

^Is the context in which he presents his content that makes his videos compelling. The best I get out of his work is entertainment. The guy is funny, but I don't take whatever his point of view is at face value since I know there's more going on than what he's talking about in his videos. Not to mention that I've seen Jim going full retard before saying some things I find hard to believe someone like him would say.

In any case, is not my intention to give a bad impression and seem like I'm dense over this. In my opinion I've seen other people way better than him doing pretty much the same type of content Jim does but without the noise that can come from him in some occasions.

---

Live streaming site Justin.tv is no more -- Destructoid

"After seven years, Justin.tv has been shut down."
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #311 on: August 05, 2014, 10:49:00 PM »

Oh, I remember Justin.tv. It sucked. Good riddance.

Also, I'll admit that Jim's shtick is that he's a consumer advocate, but, well...that's kind of a really good thing, if you ask me. I'm honestly tired of people making excuses for companies, especially when they do things that aren't exactly consumer-friendly. Sure, Jim could be giving more of the other side of the coin, but I think the PR groups will do plenty of that already - seriously, damage control is a big part of their job, so why should someone else do their job for them?

Still, I'm sure that he's said stupid stuff and I highly suggest never taking anybody at face value, let alone a talking head like Sterling. I'm sure you know that already, though. :P Also, I really can't stand his other shtick where he's all "full of himself", especially since it never seems to mesh with the rest of the video from what I've seen.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 04:48:31 PM by Mickeymac92 » Logged

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #312 on: August 05, 2014, 11:11:55 PM »

Now, I don't really care about SQEX and much less about its audience, but this boner people have for hating on SQEX for "tarnishing its own legacy" it got to the point to be cartoonishly entertaining if you see it from a certain perspective.

re: I don't think Square has much of a legacy to tarnish, and selling games more on audio-visual prowess and production values over actually being quality games has always been there modus operandi. The company's problem isn't that they've somehow changed -- it's that they're still trying to sell RPGs solely on the merit of being really pretty in an era where that doesn't work.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #313 on: August 05, 2014, 11:56:45 PM »

^I remember some of the staff at SQEX talking for a bit how big was the hole they got into for focusing in graphics and audio for such a long time. They couldn't really say that they were doing the wrong thing with their games though. For as much shit people like to throw at them, the way many of their projects turn out being were real miracles by how decent they were considering the development cycle of stuff like Kingdom Hearts II, FFXII and XIII to give quick examples.

A lot of gamers don't care to learn about the work and creative process of these projects, and in more than one case I end up looking at stuff like XIII in a different light because I bothered to learn about the game. But nope fuck that, I'm wrong because the game is linear and dumb as shit according to the keen-eyed wisdom of the gaming community. :p
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 12:07:53 AM by Yggdrasil » Logged
Annubis

ee yan~☆

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #314 on: August 06, 2014, 12:01:46 AM »

It's not because you ate diamonds that in the end, it doesn't come out as shit.

=P

Myself, I look at SE as a big corporation. I work in a big corporation and I know how everything goes to shit for various reasons.
The economic reality is pretty much that big corp can't make anything nice.
When a company goes public, that's when you can be sure everything will turn to shit.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 12:04:12 AM by Annubis » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 46 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: