Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 02, 2014, 02:53:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330170 Posts in 13528 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Misc. Gaming News Topic
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 28 Print
Author Topic: Misc. Gaming News Topic  (Read 10462 times)
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #120 on: April 22, 2014, 09:15:41 PM »

Digital only?

>:(

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #121 on: April 22, 2014, 09:17:52 PM »

Well...what did you expect? Them to release a physical version of a game on a dead platform that you can't even buy in stores anymore and won't work with the new Vita?

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #122 on: April 22, 2014, 09:20:14 PM »

I hate Dragon Quest a lot but I don't take a shit on every announcement for it.
And c'mon Twilight? Really?

Type-0 and TiTS SC are a RISK on the PSP given the extreme pirating rates, and we're actually getting the latter at some point.  For Type-0, I think as SOON as an HD/Vita version is announced we'll see that shit announced for NA/EU faster than a fat boy can run to cake and an anorexic would run to the toiler.  So, uh, calm your TiTS.

You *do* shit on DQ quite a lot.
I compared it to Twilight because they're both twee, generic and don't have a lot of substance. I think the comparison is fair.
And we're not talking about Type-0 or TiTS for PSP, we're talking about them for Vita, so the pirating thing doesn't wash. And TiTS 2 is PC only, which means console gamers don't get it. A Vita announcement - at the very least - would have been nice.
At this point, I'll just rip my Type-0 UMDs and play the fan translation.
This was the moment for Type-0, and they blew it.

I don't call it Twilight.  And I don't blast it these days, I've stopped caring, it is what it is.  And when I do, I do it more for fun, and I wouldn't be pissy that fans are getting a title they want.  That's good news even when it's a title I couldn't give a shit about.

And OH NO!!!  A PC RELEASE?! No one's got those!!!!  DAMN.  The fact we're getting the games makes me damn happy given the "modest" sales its apparently had (and versus the effort put in....and the fact it's on a dead and largely hacked/pirated system).  And you make it sound like Square would abandon Type-0 like they've never ported anything in their lifetime.

And what was the last Tales game you played that didn't have a lot of substance?  What, the SNES one?
And man, for a guy willing to say it, the examples behind your reasoning sure are sparse.

Didn't Xseed say they were looking into a digital PSP (and therefore Vita) release of TitS 2?

There was a NeoGaf topic about the whole PSP library being available for PSV...was that true (cuz I'd buy that thing tomorrow then to cutdown the backlog)??  If so, TiTS 1 would be good to go, no??  

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #123 on: April 22, 2014, 09:22:17 PM »

Well...what did you expect? Them to release a physical version of a game on a dead platform that you can't even buy in stores anymore and won't work with the new Vita?

A Vita version?

They can do one for Ys IV but not TiTS 2?

I don't call it Twilight.  And I don't blast it these days, I've stopped caring, it is what it is.  And when I do, I do it more for fun, and I wouldn't be pissy that fans are getting a title they want.  That's good news even when it's a title I couldn't give a shit about.

And this is the first time I've ever complained about the Tales series on the boards with any real venom. Far less than you have about DQ, so you can cut me a little slack.

And OH NO!!!  A PC RELEASE?! No one's got those!!!!  DAMN.  The fact we're getting the games makes me damn happy given the "modest" sales its apparently had (and versus the effort put in....and the fact it's on a dead and largely hacked/pirated system).  And you make it sound like Square would abandon Type-0 like they've never ported anything in their lifetime.

Not all of us want to play on PC. And I don't want to have to buy the first game over again to transfer my save data. And I don't like digital only releases.

And yeah, if Squeenix were going to port Type-0, they would have done it by now. They would have at least announced something.

And what was the last Tales game you played that didn't have a lot of substance?  What, the SNES one?

It was a PS2 Tales game, I don't remember which one. It was boring.

And man, for a guy willing to say it, the examples behind your reasoning sure are sparse.

I don't think saying "it is the most generic series out there" is particularly sparse when it covers every single aspect.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 09:33:45 PM by Lard » Logged

Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #124 on: April 22, 2014, 09:41:00 PM »

A Vita version?

They can do one for Ys IV but not TiTS 2?

...Yes. Because Ys IV was what, 15 years old? And they didn't really do one before, so they had an excuse. Unless you meant to mention the Vita version of Trails of Zero/Blue, but those were more recent and hadn't been played to death by the fans, though judging by how long they take and how the Vita has been doing, I'd assume Falcom isn't too happy about their decision to even do those.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #125 on: April 22, 2014, 09:43:16 PM »

I might add to Mickeymac's comment that doing a Vita version just for the US (since the games have been released to death already in Japan) would be pretty absurd considering the Vita isn't even doing well here.  I bet you even if they had a Vita version day-and-date with the PC release the PC release would still sell more.  By a lot.

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #126 on: April 22, 2014, 09:59:28 PM »

And OH NO!!!  A PC RELEASE?! No one's got those!!!!  DAMN.  The fact we're getting the games makes me damn happy given the "modest" sales its apparently had (and versus the effort put in....and the fact it's on a dead and largely hacked/pirated system).  And you make it sound like Square would abandon Type-0 like they've never ported anything in their lifetime.

Not all of us want to play on PC. And I don't want to have to buy the first game over again to transfer my save data. And I don't like digital only releases.

And yeah, if Squeenix were going to port Type-0, they would have done it by now. They would have at least announced something.

I feel like my response to this would just be what you quoted from me.  I'm sure IF the game sold A LOT BETTER then XSEED would have even looked into the HD PS3 releases.  But it didn't.  Sorry, life sucks sometimes and you gotta suck it up and make do.  Like I said, we're *actually* seeing the second title....and from the sound of it, not much else given the hassle the series is otherwise.  So see some silver lining to this.

You can complain about PC (and I sympathize because I *love* handheld gaming, but I know when to be happy with what I get), but the userbase for that is probably a LOT better than the PSP and a lot better than the Vita.

And what was the last Tales game you played that didn't have a lot of substance?  What, the SNES one?

ok.

I don't think saying "it is the most generic series out there" is particularly sparse when it covers every single aspect.

The last one you played was on PS2.  Well shucks, sorry if it's hard to take you seriously seeing as how there's been another three titles being released with more intuitive combat.  I won't combat the generic plot part, they're not the strongest part of the titles ("charming" and "nice" is the best I usually give it...but shit, the games with "good plots", in whatever capacity, are a minority in general IMO). 

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #127 on: April 23, 2014, 10:34:56 AM »

If only "It was boring" was an actual critique... would make alot of game journalism much easier. Honestly I usually don't care when people complain about games or a series on here, but it is definitely getting annoying trying to read about Tales on here and seeing Lard's half ass attempts to shoot it down in both threads. Just don't comment if you aren't going to contribute something worthwhile. It's that easy.

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #128 on: April 23, 2014, 11:19:41 AM »

So I'm only allowed to say nice things about Tales because you say so. Got it.

Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #129 on: April 23, 2014, 11:34:52 AM »

So I'm only allowed to say nice things about Tales because you say so. Got it.

Only you are being childish about this. That is not what I said. You can bring up criticisms of the Tales games and talk about them in a meaningful manner, but what you are doing is trolling. Saying "It's boring" and comparing it to Twilight just makes you look like an idiot. It's whatever. I'm done wasting my energy on this. I just expect more from this community.

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #130 on: April 23, 2014, 11:37:39 AM »

Well *any* criticism I bring up is just jumped on as not being meaningful, no matter what it is.

I called the series generic because it *is* generic - but apparently that's "half-assed".

It appears we're only allowed to criticise non-popular franchises on the board - or Dragon Quest.

Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #131 on: April 23, 2014, 11:40:29 AM »

Well *any* criticism I bring up is just jumped on as not being meaningful, no matter what it is.

I called the series generic because it *is* generic - but apparently that's "half-assed".

It appears we're only allowed to criticise non-popular franchises on the board - or Dragon Quest.

Go into detail and give specific examples of your critiques. Anyone can say something is boring. Why is it boring? Why do you think the series is comparable to Twilight? Is Kristen Stewart a voice in the game? I love Dragon Quest and would defend it to. I haven't seen much hate on that series, although I see you and Dice were talking about that earlier. I have no info on that.

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #132 on: April 23, 2014, 11:48:48 AM »

Legendia?
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #133 on: April 23, 2014, 12:19:30 PM »

Legendia?

Is Legendia as bad as people say?
I kind of missed it and never really felt like going back for it.

(The main character looks so damn bad too)
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #134 on: April 23, 2014, 12:26:22 PM »

Legendia?

Is Legendia as bad as people say?
I kind of missed it and never really felt like going back for it.

(The main character looks so damn bad too)

Let's put it this way... It's the only Tales game that has been localized in the past 10 years I did not play through (other than Graces, which is on my list of games to buy at some point). I hated the graphics and just could not get into the style of the game. The battle system was a step backwards rather than forwards too.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 28 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: