Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 22, 2014, 09:56:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341247 Posts in 13945 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Misc. Gaming News Topic
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 46 Print
Author Topic: Misc. Gaming News Topic  (Read 27626 times)
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #315 on: August 06, 2014, 02:16:22 AM »

^I've said this before many times; Any company with long-running franchises reaches a point of saturation. How that saturation from that point on is handled by the company is their own business to take care of.

But here's the thing, when their way of handling it is (part) consumer blaming, consumers have every right to complain.

Triple A publishers love to play the 'we give fans what they want card' and while it's not completely without merit (fans are eager to buy something they are familiar with), in the end it's still impossible to know exactly what fans want. Square Enix only saw part of the picture for over a decade. If Nintendo hadn't taken care of Bravely Default, there's a good chance they'd still think pretty pictures and wellknown characters all people care about. And then it would still be the consumers' fault for not noticing whatever fancy title they put out next.

The way I see it, Square Enix wanted the world to be a place where they could impress gamers with shiny images and flashy FMVs over and over again. They wanted to be the company that made games that made our jaws drop. They had to believe that is what we wanted.

It's pretty delusional, but I think a lot of Japanese companies are that way. I feel like The Last Unicorn's Molly Grue whenever Hideo Baba shows up at an European convention. I waited to long! I'm old now. Where was the Tales serie when I was a teen and desperately wanted to play the newest installments? Where was Namco all those years?

Oh yeah, it was in Japan, telling themselves people outside of the country couldn't possibly understand or enjoy the games they were making.

Fuck that.

A lot of gamers don't care to learn about the work and creative process of these projects, and in more than one case I end up looking at stuff like XIII in a different light because I bothered to learn about the game. But nope fuck that, I'm wrong because the game is linear and dumb as shit according to the keen-eyed wisdom of the gaming community. :p

It's good to delve deeper, but Final Fantasy XIII is what Square Enix sold us. That is what we got for our money and what was supposed to entertain us all on its own. While I enjoyed the game, I can imagine many were disappointed. Linearity doesn't have to be a bad thing and storywise it would be weird to give players a lot of freedom, but it's a good idea to make players forget they're following a set path for most of the game. Look at Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter. You're also running from the government and thus following a set path, but that path has hidden areas and many different types of encounters. The game may be linear but there's still a lot to explore. What does Final Fantasy XIII do? Eh, it has some extremely basic puzzles (OMG, switches!) and lovely backgrounds, I guess?

And in all honestly, the bullshit that went on behind the scenes makes me wonder why Final Fantasy XIII didn't turn out worse. It's a miracle the game turned out to be so decent. But that doesn't make me appreciate the game more. It makes me a little angry. When your head is so far up your nicely rendered arse, you don't need a miracle that confirms your head is fine exactly where it is.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #316 on: August 06, 2014, 03:22:37 AM »

I feel like The Last Unicorn's Molly Grue whenever Hideo Baba shows up at an European convention. I waited to long! I'm old now. Where was the Tales serie when I was a teen and desperately wanted to play the newest installments? Where was Namco all those years?

Oh yeah, it was in Japan, telling themselves people outside of the country couldn't possibly understand or enjoy the games they were making.

Fuck that.

Couldn't possibly understand or enjoy the games they were making? lol what? That's hilarious. (*≧▽≦)ノシ))

That's like saying that Tekken is too complex for someone in the West to understand and play it. You have to be really up there in the clouds to come up with something like that.
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #317 on: August 06, 2014, 06:03:42 AM »

It seriously kind of baffles them we like their 'very Japanese' games so much. We're supposed to like Call of Duty and GTA, because those titles sell millions of copies within 24 ours of release. JRPGs don't, so we don't like them, right?

(It's actually something I noticed with a lot of Japanese guests at Dutch anime conventions (they have panels/lectures on Japanese history and culture as well as the regular anime/manga/games stuff): they have no idea western people can be interested in their culture beyond the 'OMG, that's so exotic' bit. One the guest who gave a few lectures on kimono thought everyone in the audience was christian and therefore would never be able to grasp the concept of Shinto.)

Fortunately, some companies put in some effort and send producers and directors to Europe and North-America to talk to fans. Some of the big decisions Namco Bandai made regarding the Tales series in the past few years were a direct result of them actually getting into contact with fans. Dual audio (or no English dub at all!), releasing Hearts R, hurrying the fuck up with new installments... So, yeah, while I do complain about them being late, they're actually doing a great job and I really hope this new strategy continues to work for them.
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #318 on: August 12, 2014, 09:47:41 AM »

What happens when you put two of the industry's worst decision makers together?

Rise of the Tomb Raider becomes an XBox One exclusive, that's what. I hope the backlash puts an end to that decision fairly quickly. That being said, I hope people don't think that some kind of boycott is the answer. In fact, if everyone buys Temple of Osiris on PS4, that would help immensely I think.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #319 on: August 12, 2014, 10:52:04 AM »

I'm not big on either game, but Temple of Osiris definitely interests me more.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #320 on: August 12, 2014, 11:36:07 AM »

I don't really mind...

Exclusivity with Xbox doesn't tend to be something written in stone, all that depends in how definitive the arrangement went. So maybe in the future a rerelease happens.

Though, it seems counterproductive right now not releasing Rise of the Tomb Raider on PC.

---

At least there's people having fun with this. :)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 11:54:21 AM by Yggdrasil » Logged
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #321 on: August 12, 2014, 12:56:01 PM »

I don't really mind...

Exclusivity with Xbox doesn't tend to be something written in stone, all that depends in how definitive the arrangement went. So maybe in the future a rerelease happens.

Though, it seems counterproductive right now not releasing Rise of the Tomb Raider on PC.

---

At least there's people having fun with this. :)

He put it better than I could have.

I'm just amused that Microsoft still believes that this strategy isn't a bad idea.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #322 on: August 12, 2014, 01:50:08 PM »

On Jim Sterling:

I understand that he needs to put a video out regularly and as such he needs to find material for each video, but it seems like he's picking and interpreting the facts to fit his narrative rather than extrapolating and coming to logical conclusions by examining said facts.

Let's take the Batman video, for instance. The thing one has to keep in mind is that Japan, like the U.S., have a very limited view of overseas culture. The only thing the normal Japanese citizen knows about American culture is what they see in movies and media. So if a large company, say Square Enix, wants their product to do well in the states, they look at the media trends and direction. One doesn't have to think too hard, then, to find that their pattern recognition is going to latch on to the obvious cues: overly detailed transforming robots, overplayed stories about time travel and duality, pretentious love stories that dramatize and romanticize illnesses or other undesirable traits, easily accessible games that we can pick up and play and put down at a whim, etc. They have a decent idea about the difference in American design sensibilities as compared to those of Japan. They know that there is a niche for the latter, but that is not where mass market appeal lies.

Note that none of these are bad so much as they are a one-dimensional distillation of what they think we like. If we were to go with Sterling's postulate (that more detail = worse design) then the 1960s Batman would be the perfect Batman design - not that there's anything wrong with the 60s Batman, I just don't think anyone misses the costume. You see the same thing in American culture: look at Teen Titans Go, it has everything people seem to love about anime: overly cutesy characters that have giant googly eyes, slice of life events that make almost no sense even in context, wild character personalities that clash with each other on a very basic level, the works - and it will still have its fans because it is going where the market trends are. Square Enix only failed badly on their games in the Western front because they tried to do a deep, cerebral RPG that had the same accessibility as a FPS, which can't be done, or at least is very hard to pull off. By comparison, almost none of America's market trends have even a dint from traditional JRPGs like Tales or Bravely Default, so it'd be natural for the thought of releasing these games stateside to give their respective publishers pause - they think of them as investments, first and foremost.

His relationship video also does this - it just seems like contrived pandering. If he's saying that video games only represent an overly simplified version of real life - well, yeah, that's the point. Saying that it distorts real life expectations is much like if I made the argument that, because of progression systems in RPGs and games with RPG-like systems, people think that training and becoming more healthy and fit is a very simple affair, and not something that requires time, effort, and work. If one were to play a game that required constant gym time over the span of a year in order to get marginally stronger, then one would be better off going to the gym himself and training his actual body rather than watching a video game character do it on a screen. By the same token, if Sterling wants games to portray relationships as they are in real life - with all the minutia and subtle cues intact - then the player of that game might as well go and try to find an actual relationship (for the record, two games I recall that do this - The Darkness and GTA: San Andreas - were boring as hell during those little sections where you do those little everyday activities with your significant other; they were good for character building, but that doesn't make them any less boring).

The fact that he chose a game series like Mass Effect, that has one of the BETTER portrayal of relationships - both between friends and partners - in the game industry, shows that he either didn't do the research or didn't think it through - he just had an ax to grind, or wanted to get page views from the sensitive individuals. In Mass Effect 2, jumping directly into a sexual relationship with someone was portrayed quite glaringly obviously as the WRONG thing to do, and you closed off that character's development and prevented her from coming to terms with her trauma if you did so. In Mass Effect 3, you could have sex with Cortez or be his good friend - either way you could help him come to terms with his late husband's death, and I enjoyed being able to help him in a way that didn't end in me boning him out of depression. Sterling also does not take into account current technological limitations that prevent relationships - both friendly and romantic - from being strictly linear affairs for both men AND women when portrayed in a game, so his attempts to portray the entire affair as some form of sexism or misogyny feels extremely off-base.

tldr - Jim Sterling uses the information he has to forward his opinion rather than coming to a logical conclusion from said information, and that's poor form. He thinks that his ideas are unique and he is a maverick, when in reality his ideas are stupid and he is an asshole.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 02:34:41 PM by Ashton » Logged

Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #323 on: August 12, 2014, 04:47:15 PM »

http://tombraider.tumblr.com/post/94529480860/rise-of-the-tomb-raider-update

They updated their blog with an explanation as to why they went exclusive to the xbone, though they said nothing real about why they chose ms. Obviously microsoft threw them tons of money and they chose money over morales.

TASTY!
Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #324 on: August 12, 2014, 05:14:21 PM »

They updated their blog with an explanation as to why they went exclusive to the xbone, though they said nothing real about why they chose ms. Obviously microsoft threw them tons of money and they chose money over morales.

lol @morales

The choice is more about whether to cast a wider net for profits or not. Morals will only come into play if they decide to break the contract ahead of time because of the game bombing due to poor availability, or something to that effect.

Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #325 on: August 12, 2014, 05:20:56 PM »

I thought PS4 was winning the sales-war then. 

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #326 on: August 12, 2014, 05:23:38 PM »

lol @morales

The choice is more about whether to cast a wider net for profits or not. Morals will only come into play if they decide to break the contract ahead of time because of the game bombing due to poor availability, or something to that effect.
....been a long day.

But regardless of terrible spelling mistakes, my comment was based on their entire statement about going with the company who had faith in their project and other fabuloys bullshit. Sony's backed them for some...15 years now? Tomb raider has been (poorly) made for playstation for years and always does alright,even as such a sucky title with horrible controls and terrible gameplay. This entire statement they released is bullshit and everyone but them is aware that we know it...including Morales. But yeah, I think if they simply said MS paid us boatloads to make it for xbone only, far fewer people would be offended.

@Dice Furthering my point that this is entirely because they were paid to make it exclusive.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 05:25:18 PM by Agent D. » Logged

TASTY!
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #327 on: August 12, 2014, 05:28:24 PM »

Kind of a repeat of lots of early 360 exclusives then.

Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #328 on: August 12, 2014, 05:43:08 PM »

Our friends at Microsoft have always seen huge potential in Tomb Raider and have believed in our vision since our first unveil with them on their stage at E3 2011. We know they will get behind this game more than any support we have had from them in the past...

The first half: I almost feel just fessing up to an obvious truth would have about 1,000% less bullshit than this.
The second half: That just sounds stupid

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #329 on: August 12, 2014, 06:35:54 PM »

lol @morales

....been a long day.

But regardless of terrible spelling mistakes, my comment was based on their entire statement about going with the company who had faith in their project and other fabuloys bullshit. Sony's backed them for some...15 years now? Tomb raider has been (poorly) made for playstation for years and always does alright,even as such a sucky title with horrible controls and terrible gameplay. This entire statement they released is bullshit and everyone but them is aware that we know it...including Morales. But yeah, I think if they simply said MS paid us boatloads to make it for xbone only, far fewer people would be offended.

@Dice Furthering my point that this is entirely because they were paid to make it exclusive.

Don't know why you would say this given that the Legends trilogy was entirely multiplatform and even before that Tomb Raider has shown up on stuff like the GBC/GBA (granted in a nigh unrecognizable way), and that the Eidios is owned by Squeenix and not Sony and Squeenix owes no allegiance to any particular platform.

It's like the general response to FFVII not being on the N64 all over again.

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 46 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: