Author Topic: Misc. Gaming News Topic

Ashton

• Lawful Asshole
    • View Profile
    • Leyviur.net
Re: Misc. Gaming News Topic
« Reply #450 on: September 04, 2014, 11:03:51 PM »
I used that because people think Asians are white people. For some reason.

MeshGearFox

• HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: September 04, 2014, 11:43:38 PM »
I read it as satire. Although, since I'm not Mesh, I can't confirm if that was the feeling he wished to convey.

1. Arnita Sarkassian/Zoe Deschenal-gate or whatever this is is ultimately pretty unimportant and everyone's going to forget about it in a month anyway.

2. If the video game industry fell apart, what would we really be out on? Gaming's supposed to be entertainment but all I'm seeing here is commoditization, pretension, and an unending source of flashpoints for bitchiness. It's not fun anymore and I just want to go home.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 11:45:52 PM by MeshGearFox »
o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Ashton

• Lawful Asshole
    • View Profile
    • Leyviur.net
« Reply #452 on: September 04, 2014, 11:52:38 PM »
At least I can agree with the second point. If this is what gaming is going to be reduced to, let it burn.

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #453 on: September 05, 2014, 03:18:58 AM »
The more I read the tweets, the more I wonder if this is more of an American problem than anything else. I checked some of the Dutch forums I have an account for and most don't seem to give a shit about the Anita/Zoe drama and, as a result, have not been pulled into the whole discussion about game journalism. Worst stuff there... Well, got stuck in this heated debate about if it's unethical to move a series to a different system (my answer: no, it's not, system choice should depend on what's good for the game and its developer, please keep an open mind when it comes to gaming systems.). My biggest crime there is that I don't deal with fans of console manufacturers very well. I just don't understand their mindset.

Other than that it's mostly discussion on new games and pictures of pets. Lots of cats. One of the female writers has this amazing pointed ragdoll. (If you liked Rollo, you'll love Celesse and Sure, there are gaming news threads, but they're about TGS and stuff.

I guess it's because we're a small country. It's easy to get in contact with game journalists, because a good portion of us hangs out on forums (using our real name or penname). Makes it harder for others to paint us as corporate shills. Also, I think we are fairly honest about what goes on behind the screens. I have more than a few (funny) stories about the amount of effort my colleagues and I put into reviews and I happily share those whenever I'm speaking to a group of gamers.

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: September 05, 2014, 07:37:24 AM »
I'm fairly certain that 3 or 4 thousand people who are in an uproar about this whole situation don't hold a candle to the millions of worldwide gamers who give no fuck. Even I'm really just here for the reading to pass time at work or on a bus. It's a whole lot of nonsense that as mesh said will be almost entirely forgotten in a month...until Anita claims someone else threatened her with a big black dildo or something.

It reminds me of the whole bully awareness situation going on right now in america. Weren't we told as kids to just ignore bullies? Why is it a thing now to bring attention to them and give them the glory they're looking for? Same deal with anita and zoe (different types of bullies) and the whole game journalism corruption shit. Be like the rest of the other gamers, let your wallet speak for you, it has far more impact than forum posts and tweets, which just fuel the asshats of the world to keep making a mockery of us as a culture.

TASTY!

EmeraldSword

• View Profile
« Reply #455 on: September 05, 2014, 12:59:39 PM »

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #456 on: September 05, 2014, 01:10:10 PM »
So, they're going back to their roots? I really hope it works out. Go Squeenix, you can do it! :D

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: September 05, 2014, 06:39:59 PM »
I think I understand more about what Ashton is talking about after viewing these:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5-51PfwI3M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKmy5OKg6lo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Km3DZQp0StE (features the gamer = ISIS guy)

It starts with Zoe and goes all the way around to gaming journalism.

Even if you remove the stuff with no basis and discredit 99% of the stuff in there, even that 1% left would be pretty damning.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 07:38:13 PM by Annubis »

MeshGearFox

• View Profile
« Reply #458 on: September 05, 2014, 06:59:32 PM »
SEX FOR FWEYVUORZ.
o/` I do not dream o/`

Yggdrasil

• Loathed by Six Heretics
  • Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: September 05, 2014, 07:57:48 PM »
@OrsonFury: Interested to see if brand new series are born out of this new studio.

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: September 05, 2014, 08:16:02 PM »
I think I understand more about what Ashton is talking about after viewing these:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5-51PfwI3M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKmy5OKg6lo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Km3DZQp0StE (features the gamer = ISIS guy)

It starts with Zoe and goes all the way around to gaming journalism.

Even if you remove the stuff with no basis and discredit 99% of the stuff in there, even that 1% left would be pretty damning.

I don't know, man.

Don't get me wrong, Zoe Quinn seems like a terrible person.  And having a secret relationship with a game journalist who's writing about your game is definitely sleazy.

But that was still just one guy.  Most of the shit that followed was just ignorant people on twitter speaking out of their assholes (so pretty much par for the course on twitter).  Concluding that the entire game journalism industry is corrupt from this seems a bit much.

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: September 05, 2014, 08:35:27 PM »
Well, they are either corrupt or incompetent =/

I mean I like Christina Love's games, but I can't really support her ex-GF and current friend reviewing Hate Plus...
Either there's corruption or the ex is pretty damn clueless about what her position should entail.

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: September 05, 2014, 10:15:51 PM »
I just have to shake my head because all these conspiracy theorists can't see the forest for the trees.

I mean, what are the consequences if a game journalist gives an indie game (or hell, let's say it goes all the way... a triple A game) a better score than it deserves because they like the person? A game sells a little bit better than it might otherwise have?

IT'S THE END OF THE INDUSTRY AS WE KNOW IT!!!

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: September 05, 2014, 10:23:35 PM »
I just have to shake my head because all these conspiracy theorists can't see the forest for the trees.

I mean, what are the consequences if a game journalist gives an indie game (or hell, let's say it goes all the way... a triple A game) a better score than it deserves because they like the person? A game sells a little bit better than it might otherwise have?

IT'S THE END OF THE INDUSTRY AS WE KNOW IT!!!

eh, they made payola illegal in the music industry, so why is it kosher in gaming?

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

MeshGearFox

• View Profile
« Reply #464 on: September 05, 2014, 11:04:30 PM »
I think the biggest irony is that this involves Kotaku so it's like, it's fucking Kotaku, when has ANYONE taken Kotaku seriously?
o/` I do not dream o/`