Author Topic: Misc. Gaming News Topic

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Misc. Gaming News Topic
« Reply #2220 on: September 19, 2017, 04:08:03 PM »
So apparently this is a thing.  A Little Witch Academia game that actually looks decent that combined adventure elements with...Dragon's Crown-style brawling.

No, seriously.  The combat is very reminiscent of Dragon's Crown.  And I know Dragon's Crown didn't invent that style but it's about the only contemporary example since it's a style of gameplay that has largely died out.

Okay, haven't seen the TV series, but that was one I largely ignored figuring it wouldn't be anything interesting outside of fanservice (as in "for fans of the anime" this time). Think I'll check that out, especially since I just established that a Dragon's Crown on PS4 would be interesting, but redundant for my collection.

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2221 on: September 20, 2017, 06:35:27 AM »
http://gematsu.com/2017/09/left-alive-third-person-shooter-set-world-front-mission

Well, that's one way to revive an IP.

At least its not an unprecedented move. Its more of a question of it being more of, or less of, a sidestory than Gun Hazard was.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2222 on: September 20, 2017, 09:52:08 AM »
http://gematsu.com/2017/09/left-alive-third-person-shooter-set-world-front-mission

At least its not an unprecedented move. Its more of a question of it being more of, or less of, a sidestory than Gun Hazard was.

"Square Enix wanted to convey the feeling that we cherish Front Mission" ...by completely changing it into something that isn't Front Mission?
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #2223 on: September 20, 2017, 10:14:00 AM »
It doesn't sound too bad and I like the names involved. If this were just some sort of spin-off, I'd be totally okay with it. However... It's been over a decade since we've seen a new actual Front Mission game. A decade and a half if we only look at games actually released in English. I need some actual tactical mecha warfare before I'll be able to appreciate this!
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 06:10:19 PM by Tomara »

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2224 on: September 20, 2017, 01:02:17 PM »
Why am I reminded of the whole X-Com thing...

Of course this is S-E so the odds of them changing course and actually listening to fans are basically nill.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2225 on: September 20, 2017, 01:18:19 PM »
I'm on board with this, but I agree with Tomara that we need another true turn-based Front Mission instead of just spin-offs. At least this sounds really cool. I love how you can play as a grunt soldier in a mecha game, making it more clear that they're just a facet of a military instead of the uber-weapons a lot of anime make them out to be.

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2226 on: September 20, 2017, 01:55:10 PM »
I should probably clarify that I *am* interested in knowing more about this Not Front Mission Not Metal Gear, whatever it turns out to be.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #2227 on: September 20, 2017, 07:42:47 PM »

"Square Enix wanted to convey the feeling that we cherish Front Mission" ...by completely changing it into something that isn't Front Mission?

Again, see also: Gun Hazard.

Besides, what is Front Mission besides Gundam-esque characters, running around in Armored Core-esque mecha, while getting into Squeenix-esque plots? Whether it be mediocre SRPGs, sidescrolling action platformers or Dirge of Cerberus style gameplay, as long as somebody's stealing the Internet, turning girlfriends into computer chips, or something equally insane, that's all we need....Of course, I then immediately recall Front Mission Evolved and wished I hadn't.

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #2228 on: September 21, 2017, 04:54:28 AM »
Despite the two games having very different styles/tones, I wonder if Super Robot Wars is part of the reason they're not going for another SRPG Front Mission. I imagine they compete at least to some extent and SRW dominates that niche with the power of multiple IPs behind it, and SRW alone already kinda burns me out on the whole "SRPG with big robots" thing.

So apparently this is a thing.  A Little Witch Academia game that actually looks decent that combined adventure elements with...Dragon's Crown-style brawling.

No, seriously.  The combat is very reminiscent of Dragon's Crown.  And I know Dragon's Crown didn't invent that style but it's about the only contemporary example since it's a style of gameplay that has largely died out.

Well, there was Code of Princess, but that game was awful.

Honestly I'm sure I'll get some shit for this, but I thought Dragon's Crown was really "meh" as well, amazing art aside. Anytime I was playing it I was thinking I'd rather play Guardian Heroes instead.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2229 on: September 21, 2017, 08:46:56 AM »
I just need to play Front Mission 3 again

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2230 on: September 22, 2017, 07:54:30 PM »
Xeno 2 coming in dec probably going to get a Switch around that time...
"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #2231 on: September 22, 2017, 08:13:59 PM »
Despite the two games having very different styles/tones, I wonder if Super Robot Wars is part of the reason they're not going for another SRPG Front Mission. I imagine they compete at least to some extent and SRW dominates that niche with the power of multiple IPs behind it, and SRW alone already kinda burns me out on the whole "SRPG with big robots" thing.

Well, there was Code of Princess, but that game was awful.

Honestly I'm sure I'll get some shit for this, but I thought Dragon's Crown was really "meh" as well, amazing art aside. Anytime I was playing it I was thinking I'd rather play Guardian Heroes instead.

I think it has more to do with Squeenix sending all of their SRPG devs down into the depths of the Mobile Gulag for crimes they did not commit. Granted some of them broke free and are currently in hiding. But if you've got a derivative project template, ill-gotten kickstarter gold, and can find them, then maybe you can license out the names of, The SRPG-Team.

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2232 on: September 22, 2017, 10:07:03 PM »
Er...while I always enjoy a good Aeolus rant, what do SRPGs have to do with this topic?

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2233 on: September 22, 2017, 10:38:09 PM »
Er...while I always enjoy a good Aeolus rant, what do SRPGs have to do with this topic?
Poor quoting. I think he was referring to just Hathen's first part of the post.

TASTY!

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #2234 on: September 22, 2017, 11:18:48 PM »
Poor quoting. I think he was referring to just Hathen's first part of the post.

Got too caught up on making an A-Team joke to notice my failure to quote only the relevant part.

That being said, my point is that Squeenix has been noticeably hesitant to put out any sort of SRPG that isn't also made for mobile devices lately. How many years has it been since the LUCT and WotLs remakes? And with this being the second FM game in a row to not be an SRPG (or TRPG, whichever you semantic bastards prefer), it feels like its been too long.