Author Topic: No Man's Sky -or- Meet Yoda in the Stars.

Lard

• View Profile
Re: No Man's Sky -or- Meet Yoda in the Stars.
« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2016, 11:45:43 AM »
Cool, thanks.
I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.

Yoda

• Fear is the Mind Killer
  • Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 25, 2016, 08:56:42 PM »
Soon! 

Lard

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 11, 2016, 02:03:25 AM »
Anybody get it? I'm trying to build anti-matter now. (That's not really a spoiler)

Towns Car Marty

• at the halloween party
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Dryboy Quest XI
    • View Profile
    • MisanthroPop
« Reply #48 on: August 11, 2016, 04:42:22 AM »
It's neat! I like the little event paragraphs when you investigate certain outposts. Relaxing, creepy game.

Lard

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 11, 2016, 10:51:31 AM »
The beginning is pretty shitty actually.

It doesn't explain anything and you're left to your own devices, figuring out stuff that could have solved with either a manual or simple explanations.

Once you get past getting the anti-matter and are actually able to go out and explore systems, the game gets much, much better. I'm enjoying it far more now than at the start.

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 16, 2016, 09:35:01 PM »
So many people bought this game, so much hype...but wow the negative reviews and word of mouth about how boring it is astonishes me.

TASTY!

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 17, 2016, 12:14:14 AM »
Disappointing, sure, but hardly astonishing. I mean this is a game that managed to generate 3 years of hype with nary a detail about how the game actually played.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 17, 2016, 12:39:39 AM »
Disappointing, sure, but hardly astonishing. I mean this is a game that managed to generate 3 years of hype with nary a detail about how the game actually played.

No, those details were readily available and doled out on a regular basis. It's just that the people getting hyped got worked up without ever reading any of those details. Everyone just assumed that a galactic-wide sandbox would have a ton of variety, and maybe more things will come down the line - Elite: Dangerous started out pretty sparse, but its been getting better as it goes. Anything could happen - But for now we got what was promised over two years ago.

Then again, some people are also disappointed even knowing what was in store, so it's not like ignorance is the only flaw...

« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 12:41:20 AM by Mickeymac92 »

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 17, 2016, 10:03:44 AM »
Someone needs to figure out how to blend this with some FTL-style mechanics.

Speaking as someone who has never touched the game, of course.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Rook

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 18, 2016, 10:32:44 AM »
From what I've seen and heard it sounds a lot like Xenoblade Chronicles X. Only without the wonderment of exploration, a lot worse graphics, combat that's not fun, and zero JRPG wackiness.

However thanks to no one buying a WiiU and OMG HYPE its probably already sold 10X the copies that XCX did.

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 20, 2016, 04:15:55 AM »
It looked really bland.
"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 20, 2016, 12:58:53 PM »
I'm honestly surprised that so many people seem surprised by the blandness.  Did they honestly believe that such a small team was going to be able to craft a world that size and still manage to make every bit of it unique an interesting?  This has always been the issue with procedural generation.  Have we forgotten Spore?

Oh well, hindsight is 20/20 of course and it's not like I was shitting on the game early on either (though part of that is just not wanting to rain on people's parades...) but I was always kind of skeptical about whether this game would be any fun.  It's still a cool technical achievement though.

DHKany

• RPGFan Editor
  • Dank Souls
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 26, 2016, 11:09:05 AM »
I'm honestly surprised that so many people seem surprised by the blandness.  Did they honestly believe that such a small team was going to be able to craft a world that size and still manage to make every bit of it unique an interesting?  This has always been the issue with procedural generation.  Have we forgotten Spore?

Oh well, hindsight is 20/20 of course and it's not like I was shitting on the game early on either (though part of that is just not wanting to rain on people's parades...) but I was always kind of skeptical about whether this game would be any fun.  It's still a cool technical achievement though.

Given that Sean Murray pretty much outright lied about a lot of game features, as well as playing on some premade build of the game made to wow people, the consumers aren't necessarily at fault here. Hello Games pulled just as much shtick to hype the game up, regardless of how unrealistic their goals were (E3 2014 footage is also still being used on the game's store page on steam which is miles different from what's actually ingame).

"All those moments will be lost in time... like tears.. in rain" -Roy Batty

ZeronHitaro

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 26, 2016, 06:54:50 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2qKAX_QaoI

Jim actually has a pretty decent list of what was falsely said about NMS.

MeshGearFox

• HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 26, 2016, 09:16:28 PM »
So I guess my original cynicism wasn't entirely /wrong/ but misguided in the sense that it sounds like the procgen stuff works /good/ and it's the actual game side of things that's kinda *wavery hand motion, high-pitched non-committal mouth noise*
o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`