Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 28, 2014, 08:36:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327552 Posts in 13410 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Are turn-based console RPGs officially dead?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Print
Author Topic: Are turn-based console RPGs officially dead?  (Read 4733 times)
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« on: December 10, 2013, 07:03:23 PM »

I hope not. I think they are due for a resurgence. Maybe FFX HD will sell very well and convince some publishers.

Who's with me?
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013, 07:08:41 PM »

I'd like for them not to be dead simply because I prefer to have a variety on all of my gaming machines.  I don't think they'll ever completely die, since I can think of a few that came out somewhat recently, but it doesn't seem like a profitable model in the west anymore.  There's a lot of negativity from...pretty much everyone.  The next time I see a review calling it "antiquated" I'm going to smack someone, though.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2013, 07:16:27 PM »

Eh, the negativity has merit. The battle systems are pretty clunky. It's pretty dumb to spend 20+ hours grinding battles where all you do is hit 'attack.'

The genre just needs more quality, less quantity. Games based on taking turns (not only video games, but all games) really bring forth a type of enjoyment that other's cannot capture.
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2013, 07:18:50 PM »

RPGmaker games.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2013, 07:18:54 PM »

I can't imagine something like the Atelier series moving away from turn-based anytime soon, but games like that are pretty niche.  Then of course there are SRPGs, which are kind of a different experience than a traditional turn-based RPG but they're certainly still around.

At least in Kickstarterland turn-based RPGs seem alive and well, but most of those are obviously PC games.

And there's still pause-and-play games.  Not turn-based, but similar in a lot of ways.  Looks like the tactical view will be returning in Dragon Age: Inquisition.

Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2013, 07:23:03 PM »

Right now I kinda prefer the SRPG direction console RPGs have been taking lately, even if some of them are questionable in quality.

Nothing wrong with Turn-based, but again, there needs to be more games that don't just phone it in or rely on a superficial gimmick.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Elegance

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2013, 07:23:25 PM »

They're definitely not dead.  They're just not mainstream anymore.
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2013, 07:23:47 PM »

Persona 5 should be turn-based when it releases (nor do I see the SMT series moving away from it any time soon). And, like Kevadu already said, Atelier still does it.

Certainly a lot less than there used to be, but they're still around. Even if there are less on consoles, there's still plenty on handhelds.

That said, I probably prefer real-time battle systems anyway. Though I do enjoy a well-done turn-based system too.

Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2013, 07:33:01 PM »

Turn-base is great when you need to think about what you'll be doing.
Although, there aren't that many games that have had me sitting on my turn and think up my strategy (P3 and P4 would be good examples), I would gladly welcome any game that requires some good planning.
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2013, 07:51:27 PM »

You don't really see them on consoles for similar reasons to why you don't see side scrollers as major console releases either- they were perfected like a decade ago and there's nothing to show off with new technology and mechanics for the most part. You'll see more releases in arcade games and the occasional console release but it's the same thing as wanting a major release of a contra game or something.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2013, 07:51:36 PM »

I really like the system in the Trails games.  Not technically console unless you count the (Japan-only) PS3 remasters or Sen no Kiseki (also Japan-only...).  But it has some actual depth to it

Honestly, there's no good reason for turn-based battles to be as slow-paced as a lot of games make them.  I blame FFVII for this trend that every attack has to be big and flashy (and therefore long...).  In the good old days we just took two steps forward and waved our swords around! ;)

Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

Lieutenant Commander Vacation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2013, 07:59:53 PM »

I still think FFX had the best battle system ever in an FF game and wonder why no other FF has used it.  Maybe it was good because it was influenced by Grandia's system, which is still one of the pinnacles of turn-based.  I prefer turn-based myself, because I don't have that good of reaction time for action-based games and am a control freak in that I don't trust AI to control my side characters.  I like to issue their commands.  (Granted, the gambits in FF12 did AI right.) 

And although it's handheld (though I consider the 3DS a console, albeit a handheld console) I don't see Pokemon ditching its turn-based roots any time soon.  If it ditches turn based for real time, I will be done with the series. 

I approve of this nonsense!
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2013, 08:29:44 PM »

I doubt pokemon action games will be the mainstream since they use the side games for that sort of thing (and the occasional weird thing like snap), but I always thought it'd be kinda cool if they introduced a grid-based movement system into the games taking into account pokemon size, movement, attack range etc. I doubt a change that big would be received well though.
Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

Lieutenant Commander Vacation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2013, 08:50:51 PM »

I would be open to that change.  It would just make it more epic when a little Floette annihilates a big, hulking Snorlax.

I approve of this nonsense!
Elegance

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2013, 08:54:04 PM »

I doubt pokemon action games will be the mainstream since they use the side games for that sort of thing (and the occasional weird thing like snap), but I always thought it'd be kinda cool if they introduced a grid-based movement system into the games taking into account pokemon size, movement, attack range etc. I doubt a change that big would be received well though.
Pokemon Conquest was well received, and that's pretty much exactly what you described (minus the Pokemon size factor).  I assume there would be negativity if the main games turned into that though, but it makes for good spin-off material.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: