Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 31, 2014, 06:43:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
335245 Posts in 13726 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Are turn-based console RPGs officially dead?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Print
Author Topic: Are turn-based console RPGs officially dead?  (Read 6113 times)
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2013, 05:42:52 AM »

[ Would. say, an improved physics engine improve a Turn-based RPG? Aside from making spell effects flashier, probably not (If you got creative maybe you could incorporate physics into how damage is calculated and such I suppose).

The only physics that would be added to CRPGs nowadays would be Jiggle Physics.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Klyde Chroma
Lvl. 7 Fruity Ninja and Dincrest groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2013, 03:26:32 PM »

I think in the not so distant future we will see a resurgence of "old school" RPG elements such as turn-based combat, more over world maps, et cetera... Why?... My reasoning, quite simply, is that it has not been a popular trend in home console RPGs for awhile now and sure to be exploited more than it has been eventually. I can really see some of the lesser respected low budget companies moving in this direction as they evolve simply because they already cater to niche markets and they have to know by now enough people want to see it.

Maybe I am just "positive thinking" a bit here because I have believed compile hearts and idea factory was going to start doing "big" things eventually after Agarest 2 (which may have missed the mark so to speak, but sure came A LOT closer than some of their other efforts).

Ultimately though, whether it becomes a "thing" or not, turn based will never die. It can't be THAT difficult in terms of programming to achieve and there will always be an audience.

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2013, 09:29:58 PM »

Turn based RPGs are not dead, but we are.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2013, 09:35:17 PM »

Turn based RPGs are not dead, but we are.

This reminded me of:
https://twitter.com/officialjaden/status/329768040235413504

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2013, 10:04:25 PM »

I miss 4chan sometimes
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2013, 06:03:25 PM »

In looking forward to 2014, the stuff I'm most anticipating is turn-based stuff.  Child of Light, Bravely Default, Cosmic Star Heroine, Revolution 60 (it's a graphic adventure with turn based RPG battles), Transistor is said to have turn-based strategy battles... nope, turn based is not dead.

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2013, 06:10:15 PM »

I agree with Dincrest on many levels. I do think FFX perfected the turn based battle system and I also simply am not fast/good enough for the quicker battles and to make matters worse I swear every time I let the AI decide my allies actions they do something stupid like heal me when I am barely injured or heal themselves instead of reviving me. Now I agree with others in the fact that the long convoluted turn based attacks seriously took away from the ebb and flow of the game.

Everything's Eventual
Sise-Neg

Conquerer of the Cosmos

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2013, 10:01:49 PM »

I don't see turn-based RPGs ever going back to the popularity they had back in the day, but I'm still going to enjoy my collection of them. I think turn-based games down the line are only going to be made by indie developers or be small scale in general, outside of Pokemon of course.

Admin of The Legaia Wiki: legaia.wikia.com

GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2013, 12:10:34 AM »

In looking forward to 2014, the stuff I'm most anticipating is turn-based stuff.  Child of Light, Bravely Default, Cosmic Star Heroine, Revolution 60 (it's a graphic adventure with turn based RPG battles), Transistor is said to have turn-based strategy battles... nope, turn based is not dead.
I lost a shade of interest in Child of Light when I saw that it had turn-based battles. Bummer.
Now you're telling me Transistor might as well? Man, I thought that was going to be a simple action/rpg.
I'll certainly still give these games a chance to win me over. I just don't much like turn-based anymore.

Playing: TWD Season 2, Alan Wake
Reading: Mistborn #2 by Brandon Sanderson
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2013, 02:15:43 PM »

They were "perfected" in parts of game design that are linear and quantifiable, that being hardware limitations, which was the point. Turn-based RPGs were a popular choice in the early years of game design (and continue to be a popular choice for amateur game devs) exactly because they require somewhat less sophisticated programming and resources etc.
I call BS. Action and action adventure games were around long before the turn based RPG. When you put the games side-by-side they use about the same CPU resources: animated sprites, scrolling, etc. RPGs may be not doing it ALL THE TIME, but when the action happens, there's just as much processing to be done as in real time battle systems. You're confusing interactivity with CPU power.

RPGs were the way they were because they wanted to create console/computer based versions of tabletop pen & paper RPGs, which were all turn based. There was no "settling" for turn based, it was a conscious decision by creators, who wanted to create games that reflected the pen & paper RPG genre, and also getting messages from some gamers who weren't happy with the "trigger finger" direction many games were taking those days.

I know plenty of people, myself sometimes included, who know our hand/eye coordination isn't the greatest, and honestly enjoy games where the competition is out of time, so we can plan our moves. The way you talk about it, it sounds like all games SHOULD have been real time. So what about all of us who would prefer to have more games out-of-time?

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2013, 02:31:20 PM »

I call BS. Action and action adventure games were around long before the turn based RPG.

Nope.

That said, I still love turn-based games and don't really consider action RPGs to be a replacement.

Klyde Chroma
Lvl. 7 Fruity Ninja and Dincrest groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2013, 02:47:25 PM »

I call BS. Action and action adventure games were around long before the turn based RPG.

Nope.

That said, I still love turn-based games and don't really consider action RPGs to be a replacement.

That was a neat little tid-bit of RPG history there, Kev. Thanks.

I don't know or care much for why console RPGs had turn based systems to begin with, I'm just glad someone implemented the concept and gameplay mechanic and it caught on.  In truth, to me, it seems like a dull and ineffective gameplay mechanic conceptually that would be experienced more as a chore then a "game" per se'...

... Yet nothing could be further from the truth IMO. I too am of the persuasion that NOTHING could replace the classic style of turn based combat. It scratches a particular "itcH" that only "it" can, for me.

I'm not saying other games are not fun. I am however saying that no other games feel like they fill the need for turn-based IMO.

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2013, 03:10:50 PM »

Well it was more of a natural choice than an invented concept. Turn-based games in general have been around forever. Even a lot of sports can be considered at their roots to be about "taking turns" especially American Football.
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2013, 02:35:53 PM »

They were "perfected" in parts of game design that are linear and quantifiable, that being hardware limitations, which was the point. Turn-based RPGs were a popular choice in the early years of game design (and continue to be a popular choice for amateur game devs) exactly because they require somewhat less sophisticated programming and resources etc.
I call BS. Action and action adventure games were around long before the turn based RPG. When you put the games side-by-side they use about the same CPU resources: animated sprites, scrolling, etc. RPGs may be not doing it ALL THE TIME, but when the action happens, there's just as much processing to be done as in real time battle systems. You're confusing interactivity with CPU power.

RPGs were the way they were because they wanted to create console/computer based versions of tabletop pen & paper RPGs, which were all turn based. There was no "settling" for turn based, it was a conscious decision by creators, who wanted to create games that reflected the pen & paper RPG genre, and also getting messages from some gamers who weren't happy with the "trigger finger" direction many games were taking those days.

I know plenty of people, myself sometimes included, who know our hand/eye coordination isn't the greatest, and honestly enjoy games where the competition is out of time, so we can plan our moves. The way you talk about it, it sounds like all games SHOULD have been real time. So what about all of us who would prefer to have more games out-of-time?

You're making the same mistake Thoren is by focusing on what you are shown on-screen rather than how new technology affects gameplay (and apparently you didn't read my entire post). Games that move in real time like action games tend to get things out of new technology being added like physics engines and stuff like that, RPGs by their nature arn't really enhanced gameplay-wise as much because they're a lot more flexible. This has nothing to do with what genre I prefer (I'm on a board for RPG lovers if that gives you a clue), and while I'm sure plenty of RPGs were made because the developers simply wanted to make an electronic tabletop RPG, it's also true that it's easier to program, exactly why it continues to be a popular choice for newer game designers or sometimes low-budget ones. It's easier to say "player selects attack, enemy takes [equation] damage" compared with say, fine-tuning hitboxes to be conducive to smooth gameplay, making sure players don't get stuck on geography etc. Aside from text adventure games, RPGs are the only ones that can be delivered entirely through text (since that's how they started out anyway).

This is why I think turn-based RPGs are seen less on consoles these days- and I'm somewhat even saying it really doesn't matter, because if someone was familiar enough with a language they can make as complex an RPG as they want even if there were barely any graphics whatsoever. It's kinda like releasing a Megaman game for full price on a console or something. I'd buy it, I'd probably love it, but it's not like it was "necessary" to release it there.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 02:38:09 PM by Hathen » Logged
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2013, 03:04:14 PM »

and honestly enjoy games where the competition is out of time, so we can plan our moves.

How many turn-based RPGs prior to like 2003 actually required planning and strategy?

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: