Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 12:18:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334816 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Are turn-based console RPGs officially dead?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Print
Author Topic: Are turn-based console RPGs officially dead?  (Read 6010 times)
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2013, 09:31:59 PM »

I still think FFX had the best battle system ever in an FF game and wonder why no other FF has used it.  Maybe it was good because it was influenced by Grandia's system, which is still one of the pinnacles of turn-based.  I prefer turn-based myself, because I don't have that good of reaction time for action-based games and am a control freak in that I don't trust AI to control my side characters.  I like to issue their commands.  (Granted, the gambits in FF12 did AI right.) 

That, and pretty much everything from Hyper Dimensional Neptunia to Mana Khemia to Radiant Historia and so on have utilized the same system FFX started. I doubt that they'd be willing to go dip into that played out well any time soon (especially when there are more flashy ways to fight battles in).

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2013, 09:38:45 PM »

Honestly I think BoF 3 and 4 had the best turn based systems. If only 4 utilized 3's EX turn system, it'd be perfect.

Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2013, 09:59:42 PM »

That, and pretty much everything from Hyper Dimensional Neptunia to Mana Khemia to Radiant Historia and so on have utilized the same system FFX started. I doubt that they'd be willing to go dip into that played out well any time soon (especially when there are more flashy ways to fight battles in).

I just wanted to say, I'm pretty sure that Breath of Fire IV started it, not FFX.

Edit: I agree with Ashton, for the most part, though I have to say I loved Breath of Fire V's system.  Some people consider that something like a SRPG mix, though.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2013, 10:11:12 PM »

You don't really see them on consoles for similar reasons to why you don't see side scrollers as major console releases either- they were perfected like a decade ago and there's nothing to show off with new technology and mechanics for the most part. You'll see more releases in arcade games and the occasional console release but it's the same thing as wanting a major release of a contra game or something.

They weren't perfected at all. That's an absurd notion. It implies that the development of video game combat systems are linear and quantifiable.

That, and old turn-based games were mostly grind-fests or consisted of hitting [Attack] over and over.

If anything there are countless areas in which the genre can be improved.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2013, 10:12:46 PM »

Honestly I think BoF 3 and 4 had the best turn based systems. If only 4 utilized 3's EX turn system, it'd be perfect.

What EX Turn? I got halfway through BoF3 and do not remember that system.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2013, 10:17:13 PM »

If your character was fast enough they'd get a second action within the same turn. That's why people always recommend Rei, Ryu, and Momo in that order for the Line formation (or was it speed formation) even if it makes the team into a walking glass cannon.

Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2013, 10:22:19 PM »

If your character was fast enough they'd get a second action within the same turn. That's why people always recommend Rei, Ryu, and Momo in that order for the Line formation (or was it speed formation) even if it makes the team into a walking glass cannon.

Oh, I forgot about that! Yeah that was...something, certainly made you think a little.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2013, 10:31:00 PM »

Oh, I forgot about that! Yeah that was...something, certainly made you think a little.

It was Chain formation! Son of a bitch.

Also, yeah, I misspoke when I said 'started' in my post at the top of the page. Hell Grandia was given as an example right before I made my post. The word I was looking for was 'featured'.

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2013, 02:27:32 AM »

I hate turn-based these days unless they are quick and offer a valuable gimmick...  I love FF9 to death, but it treads on thin ice with respect to my patience to fight enemies.

FFX is perfect for its speed (and because I'm otherwise sceptical of early FF titles telling me my Haste spell works, FFX visually demonstrates it does with that awesome turn-order thing)

Radiant Historia gave high risk for high rewards by trading off turns --- cool!

DDS (SMT in general) reward good moves and punish for bad... great what the ball is in my court!

I remember Legend of Legaia was a cool battle system ruined by its own originality later on when you'd open up more moves...eventually turns took way too long.  Baten Kaitos was somewhat like this as well, but it didn't take nearly as long.

I don't have much to add otherwise. 

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2013, 03:06:36 AM »

The combo system from SH2 is ridiculously satisfying used on bosses, like deathblow combos from Xenogears but refined.

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2013, 03:32:08 AM »

I just wanted to say, I'm pretty sure that Breath of Fire IV started it, not FFX.

Wild Arms 2 allowed you to swap party members mid-battle as well, didn't it? Granted, the system in Breath of Fire IV was much more fluid, but Wild Arms people had the right idea. What's the point of having six or so playable characters if you're only going to use half of them most of the game? It doesn't make much sense either: three peeps fight fight to the death while the others lounge around? Yeah, that's stupid.

Breath of Fire IV also had that neat little combo system. I love combo systems.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2013, 03:39:29 AM »

Yeah, WIld Arms 2 had that, but if the three main party members died, game over. BoF4 basically made it so that all six of your party members had to go down before you were screwed.

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2013, 04:13:57 AM »

Yeah, WIld Arms 2 had that, but if the three main party members died, game over. BoF4 basically made it so that all six of your party members had to go down before you were screwed.

BoF 4 isn't a terribly difficult game, but the one bias that managed to destroy my party, funny enough, was that goddamn pair of dice you fight in some tomb..

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2013, 04:24:58 AM »

the reason the ffx battle system was so good is because it had the front mission battle director.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2013, 05:20:36 AM »

They weren't perfected at all. That's an absurd notion. It implies that the development of video game combat systems are linear and quantifiable.

That, and old turn-based games were mostly grind-fests or consisted of hitting [Attack] over and over.

If anything there are countless areas in which the genre can be improved.

They were "perfected" in parts of game design that are linear and quantifiable, that being hardware limitations, which was the point. Turn-based RPGs were a popular choice in the early years of game design (and continue to be a popular choice for amateur game devs) exactly because they require somewhat less sophisticated programming and resources etc. Anything that would improve the genre gameplay-wise would require lateral thinking and wouldn't be improved by new hardware/software much at all. Would. say, an improved physics engine improve a Turn-based RPG? Aside from making spell effects flashier, probably not (If you got creative maybe you could incorporate physics into how damage is calculated and such I suppose).

The thing you're describing (people mashing attack over and over) isn't something solved by a better console but by a dev not being lazy when they're calculating the stats for the game. So obviously, someone's going to ask why they would spend millions on a major console release when they can make basically that same game for Arcade or RPGM.

I'm not against a big console RPG, I think that's a pretty big reason though. You don't need to release a console game to improve RPGs. On somewhat a related note, how many console puzzle releases have you seen other than the obligatory 5 or 6 a console gets? Most of them seem to have migrated to mobile gaming.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 05:33:59 AM by Hathen » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: