Author Topic: Pillars of Eternity

DPB

• View Profile
Re: Pillars of Eternity
« Reply #45 on: March 27, 2015, 03:33:11 PM »
After about two hours in the character creation screen, I finally decided on a Cipher. The normally useless non-damage spells like charm and paralyse are turning out to be really effective so far.

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2015, 04:12:08 PM »

mrchoppy

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 05, 2015, 09:09:28 AM »
Really enjoying this one, its the reason I've barely touched Bloodborne.   Interesting story and characters, (be warned there is a lot of reading if you don't like that in your games)  and some great fights.    In fact the tactical combat made me think - shame Dragon Age Inquisition couldn't do a better tactical combat view like this.   

All the drama over the backer created limerick is a nonsense.   The changes Obsidian have made do not impact the game play in any way and i think they have handled things in a sensitive and classy way.    Also i have had no problems with bugs or crashes at all, so well done Obsidian.

Taelus

• Some music guy
  • Editor Emeritus
  • You're gonna have a bad Turnabout.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 05, 2015, 11:31:17 AM »
All the drama over the backer created limerick is a nonsense.   The changes Obsidian have made do not impact the game play in any way and i think they have handled things in a sensitive and classy way.    Also i have had no problems with bugs or crashes at all, so well done Obsidian.

Agreed. The backer didn't even mind.
Friends, waffles, work. Or waffles, friends, work. Doesn't matter, but work is third.

MeshGearFox

• HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 05, 2015, 11:51:01 AM »

I googled this situation!

I regret things!
o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

DariaRPG

• Lvl 99
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 08, 2015, 11:39:18 PM »
So looking forward to playing this one, I saw the kickstarter before it had ended but it had already surpassed funding. My favorite PC games growing up were Baldur's Gate 2, Fallout 2, and Arcanum. Plus bugs aside, I've primarily enjoyed Obsidian's games (<3 KOTOR2). Everything about this release just screamed "MUST PLAY". Unfortunately I'm pretty bogged down with school, so I'll hold off on purchasing the game until I have the free time to really dive into it. Probably the summer semester. 
Like smart, indepth reviews of really old RPGs and adventure games? Well then, have I got the YouTube channel for you.

bigdeath

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 08, 2015, 11:53:17 PM »
I just got this game today though I didn't do anything except mess around in the totorial trying out the different classes.

I'd suggest reading this class building guide (it will get you up to speed on the dos and don'ts of each class with multiple suggested builds):
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=416939844

I'm probably going to stick with Wizard, I like how they play.

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 10, 2015, 10:45:59 AM »
Started not long ago and I decided to go with Chanter, always been a fan of mixed classes especially Bards.

I try not to read guides for single player games myself. A lot of the fun for me comes from experimenting with builds.

He didn't mind in the sense that he knew not changing it would probably create some kind of PR disaster. They handled it pretty well. I can understand why someone would have a problem with it in principle though, considering some of the other things in the game it seems really silly to make an exception to just one particular thing someone somewhere found offensive- then people were again offended by what it was changed to anyway, so all it really proves is that there's a lot of people with no sense of humor.

Monsoon

• Electric Mayhem
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • Can't Stop the Monsoon
« Reply #53 on: April 15, 2015, 10:06:24 PM »
I'm about two hours in, and I'm super-digging this.  I spent over an hour on the character creation screen, and settled on a dwarf paladin.  Gonna try and become a near-unkillable tank backed by a posse of mages and archers.  Doable, right? 

Taelus

• Some music guy
  • Editor Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 15, 2015, 11:03:36 PM »
Most definitely doable.
Friends, waffles, work. Or waffles, friends, work. Doesn't matter, but work is third.

DrGonzo

• View Profile
    • Experimental Gonzo Art
« Reply #55 on: April 17, 2015, 07:22:32 PM »
I've played 10 hours of this game and I almost want to cry from how much I adore this game. Finally, a Baldur's Gate game that's actually fun to play rather than fighting the urge to stop playing from its tedious combat...

Taelus

• Some music guy
  • Editor Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 17, 2015, 07:32:17 PM »
I beat this last night, completing every side quest possible in one playthrough and the bonus dungeon.

Amazing game. Gonna be getting a lovely review.

kkhohoho

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 18, 2015, 11:19:07 PM »
I've played 10 hours of this game and I almost want to cry from how much I adore this game. Finally, a Baldur's Gate game that's actually fun to play rather than fighting the urge to stop playing from its tedious combat...

Even though I haven't played Pillars yet, (due to my computer only having 4GB of ram which I'm not sure is enough,) I'd have to agree on Baldurs combat, somewhat. While it isn't bad or anything, most of it just amounts to pointing your 'fight' cursor on the badguys and mashing them until they're dead, while using the occasional spell to turn the tide. And speaking of spells, rather than having a MP or cool-down system, you instead only get to use a spell once before you have to rest, and while you can surprisingly rest very often with little repercussions, it's still kind of tedious. Maybe it worked in P&P D&D, but this isn't P&P D&D. All that said, combat's not actually bad or anything, and it goes at a brisk enough pace that the tedious aspects of it don't get in the way too much. It'd just be nice if the gameplay was better tailored towards a videogame than trying to adapt P&P rules, is all.

Taelus

• Some music guy
  • Editor Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 18, 2015, 11:21:14 PM »
One of the things I'm going to point out in my review is that Pillars does a really great job of avoiding that D&D-ism-- your abilities are often 'per encounter' instead of 'per rest (although there are some of those too),' and resting is tied to a finite resource, so there's more of a strategy to when you use abilities-- and because you have greater access, you're doing more with more of your characters. There are also just more abilities per class, so warriors don't just hit things in the face all day, they have knockdown strikes, sweep attacks, etc.

The older games were great, but the combat is definitely better in this.

timmyFd

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 19, 2015, 08:40:37 AM »

He didn't mind in the sense that he knew not changing it would probably create some kind of PR disaster. They handled it pretty well. I can understand why someone would have a problem with it in principle though, considering some of the other things in the game it seems really silly to make an exception to just one particular thing someone somewhere found offensive- then people were again offended by what it was changed to anyway, so all it really proves is that there's a lot of people with no sense of humor.

Yeah, reading his response on the forum and his adjusted limerick, I don't think he "didn't mind".
The idea that you shouldn't find offensive things in fiction is utterly bizarre to me and it really scares me how many people think like that. Even if this was a joke about transgenderism, which it probably wasn't (given his adjusted version), isn't that the exact kind of thing you'd probably find in a medieval world? Isn't having really offensive shit in a game like this just the developers kinda doing a good job representing the source material?