Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2014, 04:34:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334770 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Pillars of Eternity
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Pillars of Eternity  (Read 3410 times)
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: December 10, 2013, 10:46:04 PM »

This topic is about the Kickstarter project formerly known as Project Eternity.  That's right, it has an actual name now!  Given the name change and the fact that the old thread hadn't been posted in since April it seemed appropriate to start a new one.

And there's a trailer!

And a logo!

And for those of us who are backers, they finally have the website they promised over a year ago up!

Can you tell that I'm excited?

Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013, 11:04:35 PM »

the name reminds me of The Pillars of Creation, which is awesome.

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2013, 02:22:56 AM »

I love when I see a sexy logo. 

http://nicalis.com/legendofraven/
Unlike this unfortunate title that took its cues from Back to the Future or something.

Trailer doesn't look half-bad either.  I have no beef with Diablo-type games, and I'd love if it's less (bad phrase for it but I'm tired) full of itself than D3 was.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2013, 04:28:39 AM »

Diablo-type?!  This is meant to be in the spirit of Baldur's Gate, Planescape: Torment, Icewind Dale, etc.  Tactical party-based combat with pausing.  And a strong narrative.

About the only thing it has in common with Diablo is the camera angle...

FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2013, 06:25:03 AM »

Kickstarter Projects have long been "inspired" by games that are clearly very different from the actual project. They just drop names.

I once saw a Kickstarter turn-based strategy game supposedly "inspired" by Zelda, Metroid, Final Fantasy and Minecraft.

Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2013, 07:03:26 AM »

Kickstarter Projects have long been "inspired" by games that are clearly very different from the actual project. They just drop names.

I once saw a Kickstarter turn-based strategy game supposedly "inspired" by Zelda, Metroid, Final Fantasy and Minecraft.
This is not one of those cases though...
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2013, 12:27:12 PM »

This is not one of those cases though...

Yeah, seriously.  I mean, this game is actually being made by the people who made the games I mentioned.  And it's certainly the same style of gameplay.

There should be limits to being cynical...

Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2013, 12:35:52 PM »

Happy this is being made, but also a little bit surprised. Doesn't Obsidian have a reputation these days of releasing games with massive piles of game-breaking bugs and whatnot?
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2013, 12:45:54 PM »

Wow...I'll admit I was a bit sceptical, but so far it looks great. Lets hope it plays as great as it looks. I'm intrigued by the story, too, which is rare for me when it comes to Western RPGs.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2013, 12:54:01 PM »

Diablo-type?!  This is meant to be in the spirit of Baldur's Gate, Planescape: Torment, Icewind Dale, etc.  Tactical party-based combat with pausing.  And a strong narrative.

About the only thing it has in common with Diablo is the camera angle...

"I'm sorry, m'lord"

I used to play a lot of Buldur's when I was young, so yay on that too.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2013, 12:55:08 PM »

Happy this is being made, but also a little bit surprised. Doesn't Obsidian have a reputation these days of releasing games with massive piles of game-breaking bugs and whatnot?

Yes and no.
Obsidian does release games full of bugs (last decade or so), but they also have development horror stories that are external to their studio.

The fact that this is the first time they have a clear budget and no insane time constraints should help them deliver a stable product.

EDIT:
I just went on their backers' site to confirm my rewards. I have no complaint about how it's done. It's easy, clear and efficient.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 02:12:20 PM by Annubis » Logged
(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2013, 05:59:59 PM »

I basically throw my wallet at any project that looks like Infinity Engine games, so I'm all for boarding this hype train. Hell, I even got me a sleeping car.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 11:44:47 PM by (Tunnels) » Logged
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2013, 03:53:44 PM »

I'm on board with this. Obsidian's reptution for buggy games is basically borne of them being forced to rush projects, which Kickstarter funding should ensure that they do not have to do with this.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2013, 06:34:36 PM »

This is like the game that defies all logic. It's a game that shouldn't exist in our reality.
bigdeath

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2013, 08:05:07 PM »

This is like the game that defies all logic. It's a game that shouldn't exist in our reality.

Why? Nothing particularly unbelievablely awesome about this game. Its just that we are finally getting a real spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate. This really could only be funded through kickstarter since no publisher nowadays would fun such an old school game. Games nowadays have to made for the casual gamer while this game is clearly made for people who loved the infinity engine games. A much more niche market but the interest has always been there and now kickstart has allowed a way to get this games funded.

P.S. Why does the The Pillars of Creation look like a gaint turd? Did God have the mother of all shits?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 08:31:29 PM by bigdeath » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: