Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2014, 06:52:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334518 Posts in 13704 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Pillars of Eternity
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Pillars of Eternity  (Read 3376 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2013, 09:24:16 PM »

This is like the game that defies all logic. It's a game that shouldn't exist in our reality.

Given the Kickstarter I'd argue it was the publishers defying reality. Also since budgets seem to outpace industry growth that probably makes this the truth of it.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 09:59:15 PM by Eusis » Logged
bigdeath

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2013, 09:39:40 PM »

This is like the game that defies all logic. It's a game that shouldn't exist in our reality.

Given the Kickstarter I'd argue it was the publishers defying reality. Given the fact budgets seem to outpace industry growth this is probably the truth of it.

Yup, exactly what I just said. Publishers are too focused on garbing casual gamers, trying to grab as many sales as possible that perfectly viable games are denied funding.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2013, 10:02:30 PM »

Yup, exactly what I just said. Publishers are too focused on garbing casual gamers, trying to grab as many sales as possible that perfectly viable games are denied funding.

Nah, casual games as they're commonly defined are dirt cheap to make relatively. It's these big budget AAA games that are problematic, I guess that may be what you were thinking of with casual, but I think that's more "mainstream gamer", as in targeting the average person serious enough about gaming to get consoles at a minimum, not just the people who want to have quick fun in a web browser or on the phone.
bigdeath

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2013, 10:13:04 PM »

Err, thats what I meant by Casual gamer.... Usually, Hardcore gamer refers to people who will play this type of niche game.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2013, 10:19:08 AM »

There is a middle ground between casual and Hardcore, though. As Eusis said, that's usually referred to as the "mainstream" gamer.

Anyways, I'm tempted to go play a bunch of Ys games since this topic popped up. I'm kinda lost in the first game, though...

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2014, 04:52:04 PM »

I keep trying to be cynical about this game, but Rob's preview is really making that difficult. I mean, the basic combat doesn't sound like it's anything unique, but the story choices sound like they could be rather intriguing. And of course I'm liking the screenshots. Hopefully they'll put out a new Gameplay trailer soon. The one everyone keeps showing is the same one they showed off last year...
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 04:54:22 PM by Mickeymac92 » Logged

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2014, 06:45:31 PM »

I keep trying to be cynical about this game,

Do you mind if I ask why?

Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2014, 07:58:39 PM »

I keep trying to be cynical about this game,

Do you mind if I ask why?

1) I never liked Obsidian's previous games (I understand their developments were shakey, but even if the games were technically sound, I'm not sure they would ever click with me)
2) It's a kickstarter game founded on nostalgia where the developers got over 4 million dollars based mostly on promises.

Thankfully it's looking like it might actually be one of the handful of its kind that I've seen that could live up to its potential.

mrchoppy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2014, 01:00:28 PM »

I'm really hopeful about this one and the other big kickstarters like wasteland2 and tides of numenera.   They have decent budgets can take their time (up to a point) and tell the story they want to without publisher interference.   The Baldurs Gate influence is there but thats not a bad thing since that was one of the greatest rpgs ever..

Im really looking forward to the story side of these games aswell.   Much as i love Jrpgs they tend to be infested with anime tropes and generic storylines that i end up playing them for the gameplay in spite of the story.   
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2014, 03:23:45 PM »

I'm looking forward to the story, too, but not because it won't lack tropes and cliches perse. They'll be different ones from JRPGs, for sure, but pretty much every WRPG I've seen and/or played seemed riddled with tropes and ideas I had already seen in the fantasy and sci-fi books I read growing up. I still enjoy them sometimes - I loved Mass Effect's story even though I'm sure anyone well-versed in Sci-fi could probably play bingo with a lot of its plot-points. At the end of the day, it's more about how the story's excecuted, and I'm hoping the major talent they brought on can deliver there.

Rockko

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2014, 06:56:03 PM »

The old fart in me is really looking forward to this one...
DPB

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2014, 12:58:13 PM »

25 minute quick look at Giant Bomb.
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2014, 09:02:25 PM »

I gave them money hoping they would create EXACTLY THIS.
I regret nothing.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2014, 06:13:26 AM »

Oh god that looks good.
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2014, 12:53:29 PM »