Author Topic: Pillars of Eternity

MeshGearFox

• HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!
    • View Profile
Re: Pillars of Eternity
« Reply #75 on: January 18, 2016, 10:57:07 AM »
So, after finally getting a new laptop, I'm finally thinking of getting this game, but I'm still not sure if it'll work on it. Compared to my old laptop, this one's a lot more powerful; it's got a 2.60 Gigahertz Intel processor and 8 GB of RAM, which is a big step up for me. But my graphics card is an Intel 3000, which is apparently kind of weaksauce when it comes to running graphically high-end games, and it doesn't even close to matching even the minimum specs for PoE.

Here's the thing though. I've been looking around, and a lot of people seem to be running PoE just fine with around the same specs that I've got, including my Intel 3000 graphics card, so long as they set the game's graphics to the absolute minimum. However, considering the game's over $40 bucks, I want to make sure that I can still run the thing before I get it. Has anyone around here been able to run with the game with a similar setup to my laptop, or does anyone at least think I could run it with my laptop? If so, please let me know.

Buy it from Steam and request a refund if it doesn't work? As long as you don't play it for more than 2 hours or own it for more than 14 days (whichever comes first), you can get a refund, no questions asked.
o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

bigdeath

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 02, 2016, 02:14:35 PM »
If you can find it, theres an unofficial patch that lets PoE run much better on low end cards like integrated graphic cards.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 24, 2017, 02:42:15 AM »
Bumping this because both a complete console edition have been announced, and a sequel. I'm currently debating whether or not to go with the console version. I already have the PC version, but my experience with Icewind Dale and Baldur's Gate has left me a bit worried as to whether or not I'd enjoy it. I looked at a lot of footage, and now I definitely think it'd be worth having a go with, to the point where I'm interested in the DLC. So now I figured it'll either have to come down to reviews, or whether or not I can get the DLC on sale, since I bought my PC copy before the DLC came out.

Well, it occured to me that there's a Summer sale going on, so I checked that out to see if the White March expansions were on sale, and they were! But they also raised the prices right before the summer sale, supposedly? I distictly remember the DLC expansions being around $15 a piece, hence why I never bought them. Anyways, they're already planning to lower it again, but it can't take effect until after the summer sale. I wonder if they'll just give a steeper discount before the end or something? It'd make more sense, but that's assuming that they're working with sense to begin with.

Since I have to wait for a different sale, because while $15 is a nice price for both, I'm not gonna financially reward them for that goof - so, do the exansions effect anything that happens before the end of the main game? I'm not exactly a replay kind of guy, so I don't want to play through it, only to find out I have to start over in order to make the additional purchase worthwhile.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 02:44:46 AM by Mickeymac92 »

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 29, 2017, 03:48:15 AM »
...so, do the exansions effect anything that happens before the end of the main game? I'm not exactly a replay kind of guy, so I don't want to play through it, only to find out I have to start over in order to make the additional purchase worthwhile.

Looked around online and I guess the first one does, maybe? I hate looking on Steam's community page, it was mostly just a bunch of idiots bickering. A lot of conflicting reports, but I think they finally settled on, yes, the expansions do take place before the end of the main game, and I'd have to load up my end game save if I beat it beforehand. Level scaling also means there's no reason to save it until after I beat the game, so now I'll wait until the console version's out to see if that's worth getting. If not, I'll wait until the expansions are on sale for the PC again.

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Draak

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 04, 2017, 03:14:25 AM »
The price increase was a pretty low blow from Paradox. They have crappy DLC policies but I didn't expect this one at all. I was about to pick up Tyranny and maybe Stellaris. It was an increase of almost 40% in my neck of the woods.

Anyway, I've heard good things about the expansion, most people say it's an improvement over the base game. It takes place during the campaign and seems to be best played during Chapter II. Wanted to play it but don't want trudge through walls of text again. Hopefully Pillars 2 fares better now that Obsidian established the setting.

If you decide to pick up the console version, keep in mind it was handled by Paradox Arctic instead of Obsidian.

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 04, 2017, 06:54:08 AM »
The price hike will be reversed in 2 days.
They announced it. They can't do it while the Steam sale is going on but will revert when it's over.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 04, 2017, 08:52:19 AM »
The price hike will be reversed in 2 days.
They announced it. They can't do it while the Steam sale is going on but will revert when it's over.

It was still dumb in the first place, and those like me who waited for the Summer Sale to get a major discount are now missing out. Hopefully they learned their lesson. I don't care if they charge $15 or whatever for PoE 2's DLC, so long as they don't screw up and give people on the fence another good reason to jump ship...
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 03:48:25 PM by Mickeymac92 »

I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Chronix112

• Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi
  • Unlimited Insomniac Works
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 04, 2017, 12:23:02 PM »
It was very underhanded and they were rightfully called out on it. They were also hit were it hurts, their steam review section got neg bombed to hell.

Draak

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 04, 2017, 04:52:42 PM »
I'm not a fan of review bombing but in this case it was well deserved. Here's hoping they'll indeed revert the price increase and do a Paradox sale or something among these lines.

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 07, 2017, 08:04:48 AM »
If someone made the mistake of buying anything Paradox while the price was hiked (not in USD), you can claim some free stuff
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/pricing-change-rollback-information-thread-latest-news-here.1031635/#post-23049884

Chronix112

• Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi
  • Unlimited Insomniac Works
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 07, 2017, 02:01:56 PM »
Well, hot damn! Pillers of Eternity is the Humble Monthly for August Early unlock. Anyone who ignored the Paradox drama and just bought it during the Steam sale has to be pretty salty right now.

edit: included link.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 03:19:07 PM by Chronix112 »

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 07, 2017, 04:03:55 PM »
Man, this game didn't come out that long ago, and I haven't even played through the whole thing yet...

Deals like this make me feel like a sucker for supporting the kickstarter.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 08, 2017, 07:42:10 PM »
Man, this game didn't come out that long ago, and I haven't even played through the whole thing yet...

Deals like this make me feel like a sucker for supporting the kickstarter.

I bought it on sale already (learned my mistake from Wastelands 2 not to buy it early). Still, considering the complete edition is on the way, even I wish I had waited...
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 11:38:37 PM by Mickeymac92 »

I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Danel Lo Gris

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 21, 2017, 02:15:21 PM »
I've been thinking for a while about buying this game.. is it worth it? I heard the story was kind of eh. But I do appreciate the revival of old school style rpgs...

Draak

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 23, 2017, 10:30:31 PM »
Yeah, story was so-so, expected more from Obsidian. Heard White March expansion was alright, though.

BTW, to whoever might be interested - Tyranny is discounted on GOG, base price was rolled back.