Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 02, 2014, 07:41:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330159 Posts in 13528 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Whats next after DQ8
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Whats next after DQ8  (Read 2056 times)
mrhaboobi

View Profile

Ignore
« on: November 06, 2006, 05:56:29 PM »

hey Guys.

Just completing up DQ8, and what an awesome game so far.  Anyways im looking for my next title to play.  And im looking for some suggestions.  One of my big things is teh battle system.. i like turn based system, and not real time stuff where its more hack and slash.. the battle system in DQ 8 is ideal for me.  

So the question is , are there any other games out there on PS2 or Gamecube that are very similar to DQ8.. and are worthwhile playing..

Hope you can help :)..
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2006, 06:08:07 PM »

You could check out some of the MegaTen titles, namely SMT:N and DDS. And I wouldn't totally brush off FFXII since that /is/ turn based, it's just actively going, like an MMO, but you can pause the action as necessary to give orders to the others.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2006, 03:35:21 AM »

I recommend both Atelier Iris games.

And if you want a challenging title, Baten Kaitos Origins was a recent surprise for me.

Ramza

Robert Boyd

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2006, 06:14:14 AM »

It's not PS2 or Gamecube or even out yet (early next year), but Blue Dragon for the X-Box 360 has the same character designer as Dragon Quest 8 (the Dragon Ball guy).  It's a turn based RPG and looks promising.

Aside from that, I second the recommendation of the Shin Megami Tensei games.  The latest one (Devil Summoner) isn't turn based, but the other ones are.  If you like your RPGs hardcore, SMT: Nocturne is about as good as it gets.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2006, 06:23:53 AM »

For Baten Kaitos: A lot of the challenge from the first was partially because of the random nature of the game, and most likely still applies to some degree in BKO. If you want the element of chance in your challenge beyond misses/crits, you may want to seriously consider that. If you don't, then I'd just stay far away from at least the first one.
Metalhed

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2006, 08:52:04 AM »

If you haven't already played it, I would suggest Suikoden III. It's an older title for the PS2, but the combat system was turn based and the story was good. Wild ARMS III was also a lot of fun to play and turn based as well.

You will have to get them used, but I feel they are worth the search (my preference for RPG's is similar to yours, DQ8 was the ideal RPG for me)

Another thought would be some older PS1 games (that you can play on your PS2). While harder to find, there are some very good turn based RPG's to be enjoyed, including Dragon Warrior 7, and many of the Final Fantasy/Chrono games (via comilations - Anthologies, Chronicles and Origins).

If you want to try something a little different, Fire Emblem on the Gamecube is a fun game to play. It's a stratgey game that is turn based on a grid. I was surprised how much I enjoyed that one.

Hope those help...
CarpeNoctumXIII
Banninated

CarpeNoctumXIII
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2006, 11:07:11 AM »

I agree on the megaten titles, very challenging games with great turn based battles and awesome stories. and FFXII is great, give it a shot, since you can choose to play it like a turn based title(turn off gambits, use wait mode) or real-time(leave gambits on, active mode). And it's pretty challenging as well.

--Oh, please. Warping the minds of men and shepherding the masses has always been your Church's domain. You lure sheep with empty miracles and a dead God. ...Or perhaps you, too, are a sheep, Samantha. A poor little lamb, bleating for your faith as though it were milk of the poppy. Yet mark your savior well, for he is one of the demons you so fear, Samantha--
Merkava

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2006, 03:57:52 PM »

I totally thought this would be a discussion on where DQ would be going as a series after VIII. :P
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2006, 04:13:03 PM »

Quote from: "Merkava"
I totally thought this would be a discussion on where DQ would be going as a series after VIII. :P

I thought the same thing. >_< This could have gone in the RPG recommendation thread.

Aren't they making a first person Dragon Quest title for the Wii?

"Oh, a hunter..."
Merkava

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2006, 04:22:15 PM »

Dragon Quest Swords? It's a spin-off, I believe. It looks alright.
Superflat
Podcast Mom

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2006, 04:23:28 PM »

Quote from: "Fadedsun"
Aren't they making a first person Dragon Quest title for the Wii?

Yeah. Boss gameplay vid here. It looks kind of boring to me, although that's just based on that video.
mrhaboobi

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2006, 07:17:44 PM »

Thanks for the replys guys.. Will look into some of the older games, like Suikoden 3 and wild arms.. might tackle DW7 on ps1 next, but i heard it wasnt as much fun ( i am a DW/DQ fan though ).. As for the topic being about the future of DQ.. well honestly swords looks boring.. its not an rpg like VIII, right now unless they port DQV to ps2 then its going to be a long long time before we see a true DQ RPG in english .. who knows how long DQ9 will take.. :(
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2006, 07:38:55 PM »

If you're a fan of DQ, just give DWVII a look. If you only liked DQVIII, I'd recommend against it - heck, it might not be a good idea anyway after DQVIII. But still, a DQ fan will likely look past the flaws, and personally I enjoyed the game. I never beat it, but I got more than my money's worth out of the game, and may try again someday.
Robert Boyd

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2006, 07:16:10 PM »

I'm a big DQ fan and I was seriously disappointed with DQ7.  The graphics are awful (worse than the SNES DQs), but worst of all the game just keeps going and going.  This wouldn't be a problem, but it takes forever to get any new abilities in the game.  Not only that, but some of the characters in the party are horribly gimped, because they either leave for a long period of time (so you can't gain Job Points for them) or they get outright replaced (and unlike another RPG with jobs, your job points don't get transferred over).  So eventually, I ended up at the last boss & I wasn't even close to unlocking the hero's best class (unlike DQ6 where you naturally have it almost mastered at the end of the game without major grinding) to say nothing of my other characters.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: