Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2014, 05:29:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334452 Posts in 13702 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Ys
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Ys  (Read 2378 times)
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2013, 10:09:59 PM »

Have One On Me was better.

Joanna Newsom's stuff is all awesome. Shush.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Arhkaos

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2013, 12:10:43 AM »

Given how unconventional the name is as a title for...well, anything, I agree with this.
The game's name is never really pronounced through voice over work either, unless you see the japanese characters that demonstrate it's "yeez" over "wise".

If I'm not mistaken, didn't the manual of the first north-american release of Ys mentionned it was pronunced "eece" as in the word "fleece"? It also seems confirmed by the the original writing イース or iisu, which does use a hard "s" pronunciation over a softer "z", so I guess both yeez or wise would be wrong. And since it's in katakana, we can consider that it is only the closest way possible to render the intended pronunciation in Japanese. Hence I think that we can consider "eece" as the official pronunciation, or either way the closest one we can have in English, especially since it was in an official release and that the japanese pronunciation seems to confirm it.

I have fury!
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2013, 12:24:13 AM »

Have One On Me was better.

Joanna Newsom's stuff is all awesome. Shush.

Okay true :3

I actually hated Have One On Me at first. I have no idea why.

God I haven't listened to Ys in forever.

Anyway I sort of actually want the Celceta boxed set thingy even though I'm... A) Not sure if I'll ever get a Vita*. B) Not sure if I'm even that interested in the game.

* This is contingent on Sony stop haulin' yr ass on Vita TV in the US GO GO GO HIT YOUR BURNERS PILOT.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2013, 07:20:17 AM »

Given how unconventional the name is as a title for...well, anything, I agree with this.
The game's name is never really pronounced through voice over work either, unless you see the japanese characters that demonstrate it's "yeez" over "wise".

If I'm not mistaken, didn't the manual of the first north-american release of Ys mentionned it was pronunced "eece" as in the word "fleece"? It also seems confirmed by the the original writing イース or iisu, which does use a hard "s" pronunciation over a softer "z", so I guess both yeez or wise would be wrong. And since it's in katakana, we can consider that it is only the closest way possible to render the intended pronunciation in Japanese. Hence I think that we can consider "eece" as the official pronunciation, or either way the closest one we can have in English, especially since it was in an official release and that the japanese pronunciation seems to confirm it.
The name Ys is based on a legendary French city that was supposedly lost in the ocean. According to Wikipedia, the proper pronunciation of that city's name is EESS, which I think is the same as what you are saying.
Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2013, 10:04:47 AM »

The name Ys is based on a legendary French city that was supposedly lost in the ocean. According to Wikipedia, the proper pronunciation of that city's name is EESS, which I think is the same as what you are saying.
This is correct.  Also, in the opening intro to Ys Origin (which is spoken in French) they use the "eece" pronunciation. 

Bleaker

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2013, 10:38:54 PM »

So I saw this topic pop up, and the Ys series has been on my radar since IV was announced for localization. So I bought the first one. Try it out. Six hours later I emerge with one thought. F*ck Dark Fact.

Laugh and the world laughs with you.
Weep, and you weep alone.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2013, 03:38:16 AM »

So I saw this topic pop up, and the Ys series has been on my radar since IV was announced for localization. So I bought the first one. Try it out. Six hours later I emerge with one thought. F*ck Dark Fact.

(Assuming you're playing Chronicles. If not, WTF?)

Okay, the thing with Dark Fact. You want to kill him as quickly as possible.

His hit box is kind of on his feet, so note that.

Anyway, with Ys 1 -- at least in Chronicles idk if the original TG16 one was different -- you only do damage when you're moving.

Code:
Note that Dark Fact moves at ABOUT the same speed you do. What you want to try to do is plant yourself towards his feet and move along with him, so that you keep doing damage but don't fall in the pits. If you can keep in constant contact with him while moving you do a LOT of damage.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Bleaker

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2013, 10:02:48 AM »

Yeah I'm playing Chronicles. I had beaten him before I posted. He was just a giant asshole. On to Ys 2! Really surprised how much I liked the game. I used a PS4 controller, and the bump system just clicks when your using a analog stick instead of a keyboard.

MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2013, 12:56:07 PM »

wrt bump combat, the one thing I didn't like about Chronicles compared to the original Ys 4s is that you can pin enemies.

In Dawn and Mask, if you push an enemy into the wall, they'll squeeze out and quite possibly kill you really fast. Made spacial awareness and combat a fair bit trickier and definitely required some more strategy/spacial awareness.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Bleaker

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2013, 09:07:53 PM »

I agree that by the end of Ys, and a fair bit before that, the combat became completely useless. Once I got to level 10, there was no more point for me to fight enemies, and I just wormed my way through them. Dark Fact is seriously an excellent boss though, hard as nails, yet epic at the same time.

Ys 2 the leveling thing seems like a non-issue now. 55 levels, magic, and tougher enemies seems like it will keep me invested for the longer runtime.

Nel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2013, 09:44:03 PM »

Ugh, bump combat. I had started Chronicles after playing the DS game, and while Chronicles was indeed far more beautiful, the lack of an attack button just killed it for me.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2013, 10:23:11 PM »

I agree that by the end of Ys, and a fair bit before that, the combat became completely useless. Once I got to level 10, there was no more point for me to fight enemies, and I just wormed my way through them. Dark Fact is seriously an excellent boss though, hard as nails, yet epic at the same time.

Ys 2 the leveling thing seems like a non-issue now. 55 levels, magic, and tougher enemies seems like it will keep me invested for the longer runtime.

I think on the hardest difficulty, the normal enemies can one-hit you even if you're high level or something.

o/` I do not dream o/`

ultra7k

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2013, 06:58:35 PM »

I grew up playing YS 2: Special, which was a Korean PC port remake thingy done by Mantra. It had a separate button for attacks, so you can imagine my surprise when I learned the YS 2 that was common here was a bump attack game.

Never did play it. For me, despite it's differences, YS 2 = YS 2 Special!
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: