Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2014, 11:04:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334759 Posts in 13709 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  RPGFan Member's Game of the Year - 2013 Edition!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: RPGFan Member's Game of the Year - 2013 Edition!  (Read 2346 times)
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2014, 04:39:19 PM »

Some thoughts, since I was working a trillion hours a week and didn't submit a personal list:

1) Ni no Kuni was my disappointment of 2013. I didn't beat it or anything, and it was pretty and charming and Ghibli and etc, but the gameplay turned me off, and if I can't enjoy that, I'm not gonna enjoy a game at all no matter how nice it looks...

2) I enjoyed SMTIV. It was less of a disappointment to me than NNK was, but I also didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would, or would have liked to. That said, Nocturne is one of my favourite RPGs ever (alongside Mass Effect and FFVI), so IV would have a hard time NOT disappointing me on some level.

3) FFXIV is still an RPG and it also being an MMO doesn't invalidate that. Period. Only a couple of editors really played 1.0, so contrary to popular belief, the award isn't because 'FFXIV doesn't suck anymore' - it's because we loved XIV in 2013, no matter what it looked or played like in 2010 or 2011 or whenever before they shut down 1.0.

4) I love Mass Effect 2. Sure, it's really there to bridge the gap between ME1 and 3, but it's also very character-driven, which is what I like about it and games like FFVI.

5) Ys I know for a fact gets a lot of love from the staff, but I think because it came out so late in the year, more of us didn't get to play it enough or at all. I've put a couple hours in over break and I adore it.

6) My non-RPG GotY was Metal Gear Rising. ;)

Music awards are coming!

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2014, 05:48:17 PM »

5) Ys I know for a fact gets a lot of love from the staff, but I think because it came out so late in the year, more of us didn't get to play it enough or at all. I've put a couple hours in over break and I adore it.

When I see statements like this I just have to wonder: Why do you need to do your GOTY awards the first thing in January?  What's wrong with waiting a bit until people have actually played everything?  What you're saying is in effect that games released late in the year can never win GOTY because not enough people have actually played them.  But it's not like it would be eligible for the 2014 awards because it did come out in 2013.

kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2014, 06:18:24 PM »

I'm not saying 'never', that's your putting words in my mouth. It just so happened with Ys this time. I can't speak for how it was scheduled, but I'm guessing interest in 2013 lists tends to wane the more you get into 2014, not an intention to 'ignore Ys' or anything that came out so late. November was busy for new releases, and not just RPGs, so some of us got distracted with those.

I just know I voted for Ys. Except in the GotY category. :)

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2014, 06:22:56 PM »

Yeah, I wasn't too thrilled about an MMO winning game of the year. Perhaps I'm "old-fashioned" but I still think they belong in their own category, and that's it. Yes, I know it's stupid.
Am I right in remembering you guys doing a separate awards thing for music last year? Because I felt there was a sad lack of music awards. The best sound award was it. And that went to an MMO. I want to know what regular/ indie games have the best music, voices, overall sound, etc.
I haven't played 99.9% of the games that won awards so I can't really comment on that. I'm sure FFIV is great for what it is. It just seems like you guys went a little too gaga over it. Maybe someday I'll understand.

Music awards are coming-- and in expanded form over last year. Just give us a little time-- I've been putting together some good stuff for it :)

I also wholeheartedly endorse FFXIV for the GOTY award, having been one of the people who voted for it. It wasn't a 'let's do something different' or 'nothing else was good enough' type of thing. The fact is, a huge chunk of our staff thinks the game is fantastic and has enjoyed it more than any other game last year. There were tons of great games in 2013, but FFXIV was easily my favorite, and several others'. I was also disappointed by SMTIV, but I wasn't disappointed by Ni no Kuni because I always thought it was an incredibly average game with pretty graphcis and Joe Hisaishi music. Soul Sacrifice was awesome as well.

Whether you agree or disagree with the staff or reader awards, all that matters (if you ask me) is that last year was awesome for rad RPGs. I don't buy that "the JRPG is dead" business, either-- plenty of good ones come out, but I'm honestly quite happy that generic "ATTACK/MAGIC/ITEM/RUN" anime trope JRPGs are on the decline, because the vast majority of them are creatively bereft and no longer have the same magic for me that they did when I was 14 and much less experienced with them. There are still plenty of good ones, though, and last year proves it.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2014, 06:28:25 PM »

I'm honestly quite happy that generic "ATTACK/MAGIC/ITEM/RUN" anime trope JRPGs are on the decline, because the vast majority of them are creatively bereft and no longer have the same magic for me that they did when I was 14 and much less experienced with them.

this +a billion, would read again.

But seriously - there was lots of great stuff to choose from last year and I regret nothing, except for maybe not playing a few more. :) Even if we had waited until the very last 2013 release, many of these still wouldn't have been an easy choice.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 06:30:20 PM by kyuusei » Logged

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2014, 07:07:08 PM »

I think my biggest surprise was that Pokemon got such a low percentage of the reader vote.  I thought for sure it would get more than 4%.  Then again, there were a lot of above-average titles in 2013 in multiple genres.  I felt like there was no clear "big winner."  Even looking at the Editors' Picks, there's a lot of diversity there.  And even before I joined staff, my favorite part, as a reader, was always the editors' individual picks. 

I notice that a lot of the "big" titles were quite polarizing.  SMTIV, Ni No Kuni, Pokemon, Xillia, a lot of them polarized people.  The few games I can think of that didn't polarize were Fire Emblem (everyone seemed to like it) and Tokitowa (everyone hated it.)  Even Dragon's Crown- everyone who played it thought it was fun, art controversies be damned. 

I agree with anyone who said that Path of Exile was the "sleeper" winner.  It didn't win any gold medals, but it won more medals than any other game. 

As for traditional RPGs (or games with turn-based style battling), we'll see a fair amount of them in 2014.  Bravely Default, Child of Light, Cosmic Star Heroine, Revolution 60, footage of Transistor shows SRPG battles...

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2014, 07:19:05 PM »

I am very proud to be a part of this community. Eloquent and classy. No flaming turds ruining the discussion. Even if we all disagree with each other, everyone manages to respect and acknowledge each other. Cheers RPGFan :)

Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2014, 07:33:38 PM »

I am very proud to be a part of this community. Eloquent and classy. No flaming turds ruining the discussion. Even if we all disagree with each other, everyone manages to respect and acknowledge each other. Cheers RPGFan :)

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2014, 08:25:00 PM »

Individual editor awards are also posted for a reason. I am 100% behind the readers that Ni no Kuni was awesome, I have sunk way too many hours into it.

FFXIV would have been my game of the year 2004-2005. FFXIV is an unbelievably well polished version of that exact same game. Like literally the exact same game with an FFXIV theme. That's a very good thing but frankly I just don't have time to stand in queues or schedule raids. Holy crap though I would have been all over this if it came out when I had time for it. Great game.

All told another great year to be a gamer. It's only gonna get better.
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2014, 09:55:27 PM »

Yeah I don't really get the "MMOs arn't RPGs" attitude either, especially so for XIV because a majority of the content on launch was just the story which didn't feel that much different than just playing any other JRPG (Although one of my grievances with the game was that the story was really...bogged down, to say the least). If anything, XIV is more of an RPG than SMT4, Ni no Kuni, or Ys is because you are creating your own character and customizing him/her to your own desire.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2014, 10:18:45 PM »

I'm not saying 'never', that's your putting words in my mouth. It just so happened with Ys this time. I can't speak for how it was scheduled, but I'm guessing interest in 2013 lists tends to wane the more you get into 2014, not an intention to 'ignore Ys' or anything that came out so late. November was busy for new releases, and not just RPGs, so some of us got distracted with those.

I just know I voted for Ys. Except in the GotY category. :)

That's my thought too, the internet's been in general more and more demanding of immediate information, many sites have their GotY stuff done before the year's even over (and it SEEMS to me there's been more and more creep in that regard, I don't recall GameSpot having their GotY out this far in advance in the past.) Ideally there'd be a wait until the year's over THEN decide, especially in case anyone was waiting on Christmas for games, but I suspect there's a high risk of just coming too late or looking irrelevant otherwise.

Anyways it's not an RPG but Bioshock Infinite was easily my disappointment of the year. As far as RPG go though... I dunno if I could pick one, I think I had reasonable expectations for them all: Ni no Kuni being all Level 5 design-wise meant that it was likely to be pretty but kind of boring, and others I didn't go in with extreme expectations. I guess the closest thing would be Trails in the Sky PC slipping into this year, but that's more disappointing NEWS, and something like Bravely Default would probably be a better case being a more arbitrary wait.
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2014, 11:13:55 PM »

I imagine a lot of sites that feel the need to push things out quickly like that do so because they make more money that way (and incidentally make their list a lot less credible in my eyes because they'll also do things like not finish games etc for that exact same reason). Given that this site is mainly a labor of love I don't really have a problem waiting a bit longer to see GOTY lists if seeing it sooner means games released late in the year get a bit screwed over. I have no idea if the money generated by the ads to keep the site running factor into decisions like that around here, though.

Maybe there could be like a "look back at 20xx" list at the end of the year just summarizing what's been released with some brief discussion, and then a promise followed by a release of an actual GOTY list in like late-January/February or something? I dunno.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: