Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 06:32:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334803 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Opinions about Children of Mana?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Opinions about Children of Mana?  (Read 3112 times)
GeekyDad

View Profile

Ignore
« on: November 07, 2006, 03:13:40 PM »

I got it yesterday, and so far I'm not too impressed. Now many critics have nailed it for being a repetitive dungeon crawler, but as someone who loved Diablo I & II (and their expansions) -- which I find this game to be very similar to -- I don't mind its approach. My main issue (and there are a few) with CoM is the way the main character sprites have been done. Aside from the fact that they would be nothing extraordinary on the GBA, their design affects the gameplay in a negative way. Diagonal movement is very difficult (I'm using an original DS, by the way, not a Lite), and for the most part you essentially can only move your character in 4 directions; and that movement is not very fluid. On the Nintendo DS it feels archaic.

There are plenty of up sides, of course. Like Diablo II, there's a gem system that enhances your character's battle performance (though gems are placed on the character's person, rather than inside of armor and weapons). This alone adds a lot of cool little gameplay elements that help keep things interesting and fun. Also similar to the Diablo series is the ability to switch out certain weapons only at certain levels and only for certain characters, adding quite a high level of player customization options. The game's backgrounds are pretty nice, especially the main village, and the music is probably the best I've heard in any DS game thus far. But again, the experience -- so far -- has been hampered significantly by the sub-par character sprites.
Britton

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2006, 03:28:54 PM »

Wow, I'm glad I didn't get this then. I was debating on whether to get it or not for quite a while, then when I found out it was a dungeon crawler, I decided to stay far away from it since I don't care for dungeon crawlers. With all the negatives you stated, I'm glad I got Magical Starsign instead (which I love). It's a shame though, 'cuz Children Of Mana looks beautiful graphics-wise.
V-Dawg

PizMasta+V
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2006, 04:27:24 PM »

I absolutely hated this game. Put in quite a few hours into the import and it's absolutely one of the most mind-numbingly boring things I've ever played. It's just an unrewarding grindfest that is as repetitive as it can get.
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2006, 04:41:24 PM »

I picked it up. It's not terrible by any means.

I'm not really seeing the problem with the character movement like you mentioned. They run smoothly and I'm able to dodge attacks when necessary.

The gem system does keep things interesting, and the fact that you can only equip in town or at the end of a series of floors adds some difficulty.

I wish the game was a little harder, and that the enemies were more aggressive. I can sit in front of an enemy and they won't attack for atleast 5-10 seconds. I can see why the game got generally average scores. You're basically just mashing the whole time, and while you can die, it's not too likely.

I think it's a nice distraction for DS owners waiting for Final Fantasy III. I wish I had people to play with, it would make the experience alot more fun. I find the game fun as it is though.

@V-Dawg-I never understand when people complain about repitition in a game. Every game is repititive. No matter what game you're playing, there's always going to be something you're going to be doing over and over again, so why complain? Of course,some games keep the repitition from being far less boring than others, but in the end, you're still doing the same things.

"Oh, a hunter..."
V-Dawg

PizMasta+V
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2006, 04:57:02 PM »

Quote from: "Fadedsun"

@V-Dawg-I never understand when people complain about repitition in a game. Every game is repititive. No matter what game you're playing, there's always going to be something you're going to be doing over and over again, so why complain? Of course,some games keep the repitition from being far less boring than others, but in the end, you're still doing the same things.

Why complain? Let's see. There is absolutely nothing in this game aside from the initial village and the dungeons. The dungeons themselves comprise of identical floors which have no other purpose than to throw the same stupid enemies at you over and over, with not a single puzzle or anything to break up the monotony. The magic system is absolutely useless. The story is...well, let's not even mention the story. The music is as forgettable as music can get. The more I played it, the more I realized that the payoff I was looking for was not going to be found.

Repetition in moderation is tolerable. In this game, it's simply overkill. Repetitive dungeons, enemies, graphics. It's just that there is no reason to keep playing this - the game "rewards" your progress by simply throwing more of the same dungeons at you albeit with more floors and tougher enemies that you've seen a million times before. Kudos to you if you can stand it. I'd rather spend my time playing something enjoyable.
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2006, 05:29:04 PM »

I can understand why you wouldn't like it. I just don't think it's as bad you're making it out be. I can, and I'm sure many other people, look past things like reptitive dungeons and things like that because I'm just playing to pass the time.

I wanted a game to play while I go on the subway and long train rides, and this is perfect. I have other, more rewarding RPGs on home consoles that I do enjoy much more than this game, but for a handheld game, this isn't so bad.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2006, 06:39:43 PM »

I think all of us could look past it better had it had online playability: Seriously, who here wouldn't at least like to give it a go or two online?
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2006, 06:51:43 PM »

Quote from: "Eusis"
I think all of us could look past it better had it had online playability: Seriously, who here wouldn't at least like to give it a go or two online?

I actually thought it had global Wi-fi, but then I bought it and found out it didn't. I was dissapointed.

I read an interview with one of the creators of the game. He said the reason they only had global Wi-Fi was because they wanted the multi player to be more personal and between friends. I think that's a load of crap. I don't need my multi player experience to be personal, I just want it to be fun. I could care less who I was playing with.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2006, 08:06:46 PM »

Yeah, that's not enough reason to cut out Wi-Fi altogether, just to implant offline options alongside online.
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2006, 10:09:03 PM »

I checked it out at work a few days ago and I really really......am let down.

It's not Mana....it feels less than Legend of Mana felt.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2006, 10:12:30 PM »

Quote from: "Dade"
I checked it out at work a few days ago and I really really......am let down.

It's not Mana....it feels less than Legend of Mana felt.

You think so?

I thought it felt alot like Legend of Mana when I was playing, and it actually made me want to play Legend of Mana more. Go figure.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Mana Knight

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2006, 11:09:16 PM »

I have the game, but cannot play it until Christmas.  I can't wait to try it out.
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2006, 09:54:56 AM »

Quote from: "Eusis"

I would absolutely buy it if it had some form of Wi-fi ability.  One of my best friends for about 7-8 years growing up is always 3 hours away at school.  I always used to game with him and I'd love to be able to do that again.  He was even talking about us playing the game together but it's just not possible without any wi-fi connection.  I am pretty disappointed.  Hell even the new Pokemon DS has better wi-fi capabilities than this game.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Cotton Boy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2006, 03:28:14 PM »

That's sad, I was really hoping for something better than Legend; and Legend was such a disappointment...
MartinMM

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2006, 05:34:35 PM »

Quote from: "GeekyDad"
Now many critics have nailed it for being a repetitive dungeon crawler, but as someone who loved Diablo I & II (and their expansions) -- which I find this game to be very similar to -- I don't mind its approach.

This is interesting, i loved Diablo II and the expansion and spent way to much time playing them, but every time i hear someone compare a game to Diablo i someway think that it's a bad thing. Could be because i think Diablo II mastered the Hack'n'slash genre and no game in that genre would be worth playing after playing Diablo II.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: