Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 24, 2014, 09:09:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327320 Posts in 13402 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Your Most Favourite Movie Moments
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Your Most Favourite Movie Moments  (Read 1339 times)
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« on: December 29, 2013, 01:36:12 AM »

I saw some lists on watchmojo's YouTube channel of "best ____ scenes".  So yeah, I wanna go with that.

What do you think are some of the best movie moments?  I don't want WHOLE movies, I just want the moments.  Maybe explain what you like too (though I'm sure some will speak for themselves).

300 - Charge In
Given that there are many fights with many persians, I wasn't sure what to call it.  Anyways.  I think Zack Snyder is a KING of pulling off realistic effects and has a fine eye for what will look simply brilliant on camera.  I love this scene... Leonidas charges in, repelling foes weapons with his shield or lifting them right off the ground with it!  He uses his sword, he throws his spear, and the choice between real-time and slow-mo only express how wonderfully choreographed and nuanced the movements are. Finally, you get the gorgeous sepia-like scenery against the vivid red of the Spartan capes.  Beautiful!

The Lion King - Simba's Rescue/Mufasa's Death
For a movie about talking cartoon animals... this was pretty damn well done.  Saving his cub son from a life or death situation, this exceptionally animated scene shows the great lengths Mufasa went to in order to save his son.  To top it off, right when you think Mufasa is able to escape the stampede below him, he asks for his brother's help to get back on flat ground...only to be betrayed by his brother in the ugliest way possible.  Simba watched, and Scar convinced the fragile lion cub that it was his fault. 

Up - Carl and Ellie's "life" montage
Never has such a small amount of film time been able to make me swell up like a baby by the end of it.  The use of marriage's greatest high's and low's are beautifully expressed in this montage... A life of hard work is then given new life with the chance of a grand adventure overseas!!... only to be cut short as Carl's wife passed away.  I usually let the tears go when I see Carl sitting alone after the funeral...IT'S JUST SO DAMN SAD.

Tootsie - The Reveal
Revealing a deep secret is always good fodder for dramatic gold.  I thought Tootsie did a damn fine job of this.  Dustin Hoffman plays a desperate actor who takes up as an [ugly] woman for a soap opera.  However, his success starts to come back to haunt him as his mistaken identity begins to mess up his relationships, get him *male* suitors who have fallen in love with his female persona, and screw up his personal life.  Naturally, when you affect so many people, the shock of being found out a fake is bound to cause some hysteria.

Memento - New scenes
Okay, I'm cheating a bit here.  But how often is it the end of a sequence is the interesting part?  I adore how this movie took a reversed chronicle and had it make sense!  It does sort of play on the viewers excitement (the climax is kind of at the beginning?) but it creates a great mystery and has it work in the most peculiar way.... especially when you see how people take advantage of it.

My Fairy Lady - The last song & Ending
I wasn't too crazy for this film, but I thought the ending was *perfect*.  After turning the beautiful Audrey Hepburn from a cockney Brit to a lovely miss, she asks if she means more to the lead Doctor who aided her transformation.  As she eventually became a fair lady, he eventually "defrosted" to her.  So when Audrey leaves with another man, the Doctor listens to an old recording of her as Audrey silently returns to him as he's reminiscing.  She puts on her old cockney voice to call out to him... and his subtle surprise curls into a smile.
Just a smile; no grand kiss, no proclamation of love, no bursting sunset behind the embracing couple.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2013, 12:02:19 PM »

IRON GIANT SPOILERS!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UkZOZIO63I

EDIT: Actually, I could easily list a lot of scenes from Iron Giant. Very few movies manage to stick with me, but IG has been burned in my mind since I first watched it as a child. Honestly, the more I think about it, the more nearly every scene manages to move me in some way. Even if its not the most original story, I do feel its masterfully told, with a lot of subtlety, depth, and emotion strewn throughout. This particular scene always gets me the most, though, which I'll explain in a minute...
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 12:11:42 PM by Mickeymac92 » Logged

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2013, 12:19:20 PM »

Hot Fuzz when the spire falls off the church and splatters the guys head.

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2013, 12:53:30 PM »

The Blues Brothers - the mall chase scene.  BOOM

Shaolin Soccer - the games before the final match, the greatest montage in sports movie history.  (apologies for the awful dub)

Back to the Future 2
- the ending.  spoiler alert!

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2013, 04:57:55 PM »

Good idea. OKAY LETS GO!

HOCUS POCUS: Come Little Children

So, I love Hocus Pocus in a non-ironic way, I think everyone knows this. I was either going to pick the "I Put A Spell On You Song" or the "AMUCK AMUCK AMUCK AMUCK" scene. But this song always gave me the impression of what a true sirens song would sound like.

THE WITCHES: Grand High Witch

Er, not everything will have to do with witches. That's just the way it worked out. So, Anjelica Huston scared the shit out of me as a kid because of this scene.

ROSEMARY'S BABY It has its fathers eyes.

Rosemary's Baby was a movie I would talk friends into watching with me, who doubted they would like it, but by the end were in love with it. Being in our early teens, not many of my friends thought a movie from the 60's could scare them, or even hold their attention. I watched this with my grandmother when I was about ten or eleven, and it still is one of my favourite movies. This scene in particular, a fitting climax, still sends shivers down my spine.

MISERY: You know the scene

We all know the breaky-legs scene, so let's watch some French and Saunders instead.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

Lieutenant Commander Vacation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2013, 09:23:41 PM »

That is such a difficult question.  Like there are so many amazing movie moments.  Some epic and bombastic.  Some with that perfectly placed one-liner.  But for me, like with most stories be they RPG, novel, anime, or whatnot, it's the quieter moments that stick with me. 

That being said, the first movie moment that popped into my head was near the end of The Last Unicorn when Schmendrick gives his whole "then let the quest end here" spiel.  I saw this movie as a kid pretty much by accident (it was on in place of my normal morning cartoons) and had no idea what I was getting into.  It was deep, fantastical, and had deliberate pacing.  It was a bit of an emotional ride for my kid self, but it was a great one.  But that whole scene in the cave, the idea of "let the quest end here" and "happy endings can't come in the middle of the story" and the idea of "there are no happy endings because nothing ever ends" continues to stick with me to this day.  Even the ending itself, yeah it seemed like a happy ending on the surface, but my little-kid brain started to think more and more about it.  Was it really a happy ending?  I think that was the moment I started to think deeper about endings in stories, especially the "happily ever after" cop out, because this was a fairy tale that didn't end that way. 

I approve of this nonsense!
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2013, 10:17:46 PM »

Took me a while to reply, because I was having trouble picking just one scene from "Airplane!," but I ultimately decided on Roger, Roger!

Also the last 20 minutes of "The Prestige"

My incredibly adorable avatar was provided by our one and only Dice!
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2013, 12:54:06 AM »

In case you guys didn't notice, I love movies. Thing is, I have a horrid memory. Even some of the best movies I've ever seen have completely vanished from my mind. Because of this, I'm very limited in how I can answer this. I'll edit more in if I think of anything else to add.

The "You bow to no one" scene from Return of the King. Shivers, and a leaky eye. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBtzudk40pE

The horseback speech in Braveheart. "One chance, just one chance" More shivers and leaking eyes  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEOOZDbMrgE

There's a lot from The Princess Bride, of course, but I'll go with the Battle of Wits  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6TQ7ljcsjk

Playing:
Reading: Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2013, 07:31:07 AM »

All of Pacific Rim.....I don't care if it isn't a valid answer.
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2013, 10:25:23 AM »

Joe Pesci pretending to get offended in Goodfellas.  "How the fuck am I funny?" Great scene.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2013, 12:49:36 PM »

All of Pacific Rim.....I don't care if it isn't a valid answer.
*high fives* I loved that movie!

Playing:
Reading: Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
ChronoPower
Chimerautomaton

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2014, 10:16:56 AM »

Joe Pesci pretending to get offended in Goodfellas.  "How the fuck am I funny?" Great scene.
Haha Yes, I love that scene!
ALso, the scene in the beginning of Goodfellas where the one guy is in the trunk of the car. They pull over (realizing he is still alive), and joe Pesci takes his (moms) kitchen knife and just starts stabbing him. Something about the brutality and the fact that the guy is helpless..always gets me.

The montage in Up. Also, the end of Toy Story 3.

In Grave of the Fireflies when the little girl starts crying and the soul of the boy or something holds his ears because he cant stand her crying.

Umm...Anything Joker in the Dark Knight (particularly the first recorded video he makes with the fake batman)

And Pacific Rim is awesome, especially the scene when the Jaeger and Kaiju are fighting outside the city, and all of a sudden another kaiju jumps out of the water on top of the Jaeger.   Awesome!

I could put a lot more from my favorite movies but...meh.

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
*Insert favorite Movie/Video Game quote here*
*Insert Batman quote here*
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2014, 10:45:16 AM »

Shot of Ryan Gosling strapped to a truck.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2014, 07:54:23 PM »

The final duel in The Princess Bride always springs to mind for me. You know the one.
(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2014, 01:44:56 AM »

Woodshed scene from Evil Dead 2.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: