1. I reject the premise that shooters are inherently mindless.
2. I don't necessarily reject the premise that modern FPS design that involves running from cutscene to cutscene via linear corridors isn't mindless, however I'm not convinced that these are actually all that prevalent -- a number of /prominent/ games do this for the single-player campaigns, but that doesn't necessarily means it's that common.
3. I reject the premise that RPGs are inherently more intelligent than other genres.
4. I don't believe that FPSes are more popular right now than usual -- the genre has had peaks in popularity, but I don't think this is one of them.
5. I do believe that open-world sandbox games are what's most popular right now -- either in terms of Minecraft, GTA, or TES clones -- however you don't see these come out as often by virtue of for taking forever to make.
6. A quick glance at the wikipedia article for XBox One games is showing about an even mix of FPSes, RPGs, and Open-world games planned, with sports and puzzle games making up a combined majority of upcoming games?
1. Me too (I accept more that I just suck at them)
2. RPGs are merely fighting slews of enemies, commonly with the best you got. I find there's a level of repetition to any game, any genre. Games that don't are like GTA 4/5, but with pointless (but fun) features like touching a stripper when the bouncer looks away....
3. I agree (I think some RPG plots have, in fact, made me dumber)
4. I think FPS's peaked about (+/-) 5 years ago. I don't think any FPS's were on gaming website Top 10 let alone Top 5 this/last year (2013 GOTY). 2013, IMO, was all about adventure-type titles. Last of Us and Zelda did super well, Fire Emblem was back in full-form, a new Pokemon title, GTA was a ton of fun and lived up to the hype, etc.
5. See 4.
6. Japan is allegedly announcing stuff when the PS4 is released. Given how well they "fared" with the PS360 era though, I'm curious how well they'll adapt (and given their stronger presence on handhelds). Or maybe the WiiU and Vita will get popular since it's good graphics, but not nearly the need to plunge to PS4One levels.
Be more optimistic Datastorm!