Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2014, 02:03:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332739 Posts in 13633 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  The PS Vita is Awesome!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: The PS Vita is Awesome!  (Read 2268 times)
Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« on: January 02, 2014, 11:59:55 AM »

Alright guys, now that  I have been a Vita Owner for about 2 months I feel like sharing my experiences with this wonderful handheld. At this point I think it's a must buy for any gamer. I have been playing the vita non stop ever since I got it.

Awesome things about the vita:

- Backwards Compatibility with many standout titles from the PSP/PS1 if you missed them, Ps Vita is the best way to go back and play them.

- The Screen is a joy, it's probably the best display Ive had the chance to experience.

- PS Plus offers big titles every month for free and if you are a broke University student, this is absolutely perfect.

- The library is starting to come together with some standout exclusives and definitive versions of other games.

- The user experience is fast and smooth with a very effecient  OS and browser navigation(Especially useful to look up something on the game you are
playing for example, it's snappy and provides a really smooth multi tasking environment)

- With the recent bundles and sales they are practically giving the damn thing for free (Especially in Europe where bundles with great exclusive titles like Tearaway and Soul Sacrifice and big memory cards are being sold for less than a 3DS Xl without any games.)

- The memory cards have become a non issue because almost every single bundle nowadays has a decent MC with 8-16gb of storage, unless you only buy games digitally. In that case the memory cards are a pain in the ass.

- I find it much eaiser to play games on a  handheld then on consoles. It's hassle free and it's extremely convenient and enjoyable with a good pair of Headphones for the awesome music present in some games.

- The vita Analogue sticks are extremely precise, I was taken aback by their quality. I thought they were going to be crappy and finnicky.

- Remote Play with PS4 if you care about that(I dont personally)

- It's REGION FREE!!! - This is a big point, I havent bought a 3ds yet because of the uncertainty of European ports for games like SMT IV.. This is a big drawback and I might just have to get a NA 3ds late in it's life cycle when I know I wont miss great rpgs because of buying an european unit prematurely.

- PS Plus on vita(and my extension other supported sony platforms) makes you try games you never though you would like. It's a great service for expanding your gaming tastes.

Over the course of my ownsership I have managed to acquire the following games:

Ps Plus Freebies:

Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed - Not my type of game, played a few races before deleting it, but since it was free I couldnt complain.
Uncharted Golden Abyss
Gravity Rush
Soul Sacrifice
Guacamelee

Retail games I bought:

Virtue's Last Reward
Tearaway
Ys Memories of Celceta (That awesome LE)
Killzone Mercenary (Bundled in with the system - digital copy)

Wishlist:

Rayman Origins
Rayman Legends
Muramasa Rebirth
FF X HD
DanganRonpa
Persona 4 Golden
Ninja Gaiden Sigma
Dragon's Crown
Borderlands 2(if it runs well, seems like a perfect game for a handheld, Killzone Merc confirms it's potential gameplay wise)
Physical copies of Ps Plus games I enjoyed(Eventually)

Thoughts on games I Finished:

Killzone Mercenary - I have only recently started dwelving into FPS games, I would have never bought this but it came bundled in with the system. I had a lot of fun with it, if you are a fan of fps games it's the best one you can find on a handheld. Impressive Graphics and precise aiming.

Virtue's Last Reward - It's hard to follow up a game of high Pedigree such as 999. It managed to meet expectations and is one of the best narrative driven games ever made, though not quite as impactful as 999 I find, still a must play but make sure you play 999 first. Vita offers the best version of the game with higher visual fidelity, audio quality and a bug free experience. The only drawback would be the less precise control but once you get the hang of it, it  becomes a non issue.

Tearaway - This is a must have game for any Vita owner and one big reason to buy the vita. It's a very creative and unique experience. With a charming and Heart warming storyline, awesome gameplay that makes great use of the vita's capabilities.  It's one of the best 3d platformers made in recent years. A very memorable game that ticks all the right boxes, beautiful soundtrack and art style aswell. I actually wasnt really digging it for the first hour or so but once the game started rolling in more and more gameplay mechanics, it was a complete joy to play from beginning to end. If there is any complaint is that it was a little bit too easy. It might not seem like much at first but it's a game that only gets better and better as it goes. One of the biggest surprises of the year for me and Im glad I bought it around the time of it's release because MM deserves all the money I paid for the game.

Guacamelee - One of the most well done metroidvania games from a pure gameplay standpoint. Awesome combat and killer pacing. Very unique setting and feel. It sounds great and it plays great.

Uncharted Golden Abyss - This was my first "cinematic" action game. It was a fun experience that sold me on the Uncharted series. Im definitely buying the trilogy when I get a ps3. Good game, nothing out of the ordinary though.

Ys Memories of Celceta - This is a goddamn system seller(as is Tearaway to a lesser extent) for any RPGFAN and one exclusive that you cant get anywhere else(unlike VLR for instance). Ys is the best ARPG series on the planet  with kickass soundtracks, fast paced combat. This game has a great story with great lore that greatly expands on the Ys Mythos that I have come to love(I know Im using great a lot). The combat and music are the sellers though and if you never played an Ys game this is as good as any place to start. Just make sure you bump up the difficult to nightmare or hard because normal can be quite easy for veterans of Action RPG's.

Soul Sacrifice - The only game on this list I havent beaten yet but another one of those exclusives that may very well be a system seller. Im currently 14 hours in(and Im nearing the end of the main storyline) and while the gameplay took some getting used to(It's Monster Hunter esque apparently and has a steep learning curve with very deep gameplay systems and tactical action rpg gameplay). I would have never tried this game if it werent for PS Plus and thank god I did. The story is truly remarkable, a heart wrenching tale with dark themes of morality and insanity. The lore and world of the game is truly remarkable and it all comes alive with the memorable score of Yasunori Mitsuda. I wasnt enjoying the complex gameplay at first so it was the story that kept me going and im glad I did because I am having one of the most memorable and challenging gaming experiences. (Both from a gameplay and narrative standpoint, it's a game worth playing for the story alone. 2nd only to VLR storywise on the vita.)

Final Thoughts/Closing remarks:

Im so glad I bought a vita, it has all the bases covered for every kind of gamer. With other great rpg's and visual novels on the horizon, the system is quickly becoming a necessity in any gamer's collection. The saying "Vita has no gaems"  is completely bullshit and if you have a 3ds you need to get a vita aswell because there are some amazing titles you cant get anywhere else. Why not get the best of both worlds?

Alright folks, that's essentially it.. I hope I didnt sound too much like a salesman xD. I truly am enjoying my time with the vita and I cant recommend it enough if you are on the fence, I have been playing it non stop ever since I got it. If there is any drawback to the platform it would be the battery life(4-5 hours at best) but since I mostly game at home, it's a non issue. Plus the charger that comes with the vita allows for USB charging on computers and shit aswell.

On another note, Im buying a ps3 next week, not a 3ds as I had planned because fuck region locking and the constant feeling of uncertainty of localizations and shit. I think worst case scenario Ill buy a NA 3ds xl by the end of the year and just import everything.

OTHER STUFF:
If you have a PS3 and dont have a vita and have a Ps Plus membership make sure to hoard the PS vita freebies by redeeming the free games on sony's online story through your PC browser.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 12:08:38 PM by Holykael1 » Logged

Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, 12:49:34 PM »

I agree - there's lots of cool stuff available for Vita.  I've got a PS4, so I've been taking advantage of the Remote Play feature, and I really like it.  It lets me play stuff while we're using the PS3 to watch a movie.  I haven't had the best results when playing over wi-fi, which is sad, but as long as I am connected "directly" to the PS4, it's all good.  Haven't done any looking into what the problem may be.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2014, 01:23:38 PM »

I love my Vita...when I can charge it.  Which I currently can't.  The USB cable it came with is dead and the new overpriced cable I orded was DOA.  Seripusly, fuck proprietary cables...

Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 01:46:09 PM »

I love my Vita...when I can charge it.  Which I currently can't.  The USB cable it came with is dead and the new overpriced cable I orded was DOA.  Seripusly, fuck proprietary cables...

That sucks, atleast they are going to get  rid of that in the new revision of the vita. Weren't the proprietary memory cards enough?

Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2014, 01:46:16 PM »

I too love my Vita and I'm happy to hear Sony actually managed to sell quite a few this holiday season. Maybe now they'll pay more attention to it and it will be more than a footnote at E3.
unsmashable_pumpkin

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2014, 04:14:06 PM »

That sucks.
I imported mine from the US, so I also ended up having to buy another set of cables (/wall charger adapter thing). Not being able to charge it via computer USB unless the thing is completely powered off is another annoyance.
Also I have so many various cables/chargers cluttering up my drawers now from all the various electronic equipment over the years. I don't even know what some of these came with anymore. :/

I've really been enjoying the smaller indie games released on the vita.
Mutant blob and Knytt underground (from ps-plus) were both excellent, as well as Thomas was alone and Stick it to the man. Those kind of more bite-sized quirky games really fit well on a portable format.

Another thing I love about the vita, other than the screen, is the buttons (excluding start/select). They are so deliciously clicky and responsive.

Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2014, 04:30:17 PM »

The Vita d-pad is my favorite d-pad on any system ever.  Love the clickiness.  I don't know why Sony didn't use a similar design on the DS4...

Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2014, 05:52:27 PM »

The reason the vita cant charge through usb while it's on is because the usb charging gives less power than the  vita consumes while it's on. Hence why it takes about 4 hours to charge through usb while it only takes about 2 through the wall.

unsmashable_pumpkin

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2014, 07:53:28 AM »

The reason the vita cant charge through usb while it's on is because the usb charging gives less power than the  vita consumes while it's on. Hence why it takes about 4 hours to charge through usb while it only takes about 2 through the wall.

Yeah, I know why it is the case, but that doesn't mean it wasn't annoying on occasion. ;)
I just remember heading into the final lap of virtue's last reward when I ran into the issue. But then again, being forced to turn it off once in a while helps you do other things, like go outside or something. Or order new chargers from amazon, in my case.
Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2014, 11:14:03 AM »

I am waiting for the library to grow a bit before I get one. I already own older versions of most of the games I like on it.

Aurian

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2014, 11:43:15 AM »

I like the Vita... In fact if a game is out on VITA and 3DS, I will buy the Vita version. The large screen is big and vibrant and is more comfortable to hold than my XL 3DS ( and the normal sized DS's screens felt too small).
Marshmallow

OH NO OH NO OH NO

AuroMarshmallow
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2014, 12:32:36 PM »

Having PS Plus with a Vita is great, as is the backwards compatibility. For the majority of its lifetime, I used my PSP more as a PSX machine and that continues with my Vita, but it is just so much more pleasant to use than the PSP was.  I got mine about six months after it launched and still consider it a good purchase. I wish Sony would've continued the backwards compatibility trend with their consoles, because that's definitely the easiest way to get me to buy them.

Aurian

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2014, 12:07:32 PM »

I know... If the PS4 could play PS3 games too, I would have bought one already since that makes the library big enough at the outset to justify the cost. As it is, I am waiting for it to get 3 must have RPGs before buying.

I really hope that at some point the PS4 might be able to play digital PS3 games because there are some I am interested in (just not enough to buy a console at the end of it's life).
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2014, 03:00:49 PM »

Well, like someone said about Vita, if you're considering getting a PS4 and you have PS+, make sure you go out and "buy" any free PS4 games so they're in your library.

Here's a link to the web version.  It's easy to buy the games that way.
Playstation Plus free games on PS Store

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2014, 07:11:09 PM »

Ps Plus is really great in that respect. I just bought my ps3 today and I already have big titles like MGR, Dragon's Dogma DA, Borderlands 2, Remember Me, UC 3, Jak and Daxter Trilogy, Xcom enemy unknown to play.. Granted I wont probably touch remember me or Xcom but still.. it's really nice.(essenially I hoarded them through the method described by Tooker)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 07:22:16 PM by Holykael1 » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: