Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 31, 2014, 02:40:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
335242 Posts in 13726 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  The PS Vita is Awesome!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: The PS Vita is Awesome!  (Read 2557 times)
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2014, 04:27:47 PM »

I know the system is region free anyway, but we're finally going to be getting Celceta here in February (and at a reasonable price, surprisingly), so I think it's time for me to pick up a system.

Part of me so wants to get Muramasa Rebirth too, but I own the original on Wii... so I don't know if it would really be worth it (same for Little King's Story). Oh, and I already have VLR on 3DS. Not really sure what else to pick up at this stage... I might try Gravity Rush.

Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2014, 05:29:55 PM »

I saw a vita on special offer and decided to pick it up. I had planned on waiting until the library grew a bit but I had a few games I wanted to play that I got from PS plus, mainly Soul Sacrifice and New Little King's Story. The system runs great. Some of my favourite things about it are minor ones. I love how you can put it into sleep mode by just tapping a button. I have accidentally turned off my PSP more than once trying to put it into sleep mode. I agree with most of what HolyKael1 said in his first post. There are one or two things that bothered me though.

The spots that appear when a darkened screen lights up scared the shit out of me in the beginning. Thought it was damaged but seems it is a pretty common thing. Doesn't bother me now. Not like it is even noticeable outside of when a black screen lights up.

I forgot how much of a hassle switching between US and EU PSN accounts was. Should be easier after I buy a second memory card though. It isn't like the PSP was much better so I don't really judge it but it is still pretty annoying.

Ahah I thought my vita was damaged but that's just a side effect of the OLED technology(which is still rather young), since it doesnt affect the quality of the actual image I didnt even mention it.
The account system is pretty effed up, it's a nuisance on an otherwise perfect user experience imo.

@FlamingRift I was going to wait for the European release but I couldnt resist that lovely Limited edition. If you like 3d platformers at all get Tearaway. Soul Sacrifice and Guacamelee are amazing games aswell. Soul Sacrifice has a steep learning curve(atleast it had for me, I had never played a so called "Monster Hunter esque" action rpg) but the narrative and world building is top notch.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 05:44:04 PM by Holykael1 » Logged

FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2014, 07:14:57 PM »

Yeah, I really should have bought the Anniversary edition, but I really wasn't sure when/if I would get a Vita at the time. Missed opportunity there. :(

I'll take a look at the other games you recommended. Thanks!

Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2014, 07:24:55 PM »

Yeah, I really should have bought the Anniversary edition, but I really wasn't sure when/if I would get a Vita at the time. Missed opportunity there. :(

I'll take a look at the other games you recommended. Thanks!

You can still get anniversary editions for ~44 euros shipped(65 canadian dollars shipping included). I always import my NA versions from videogamesplus.ca because they are customs friendly and canadian dollars are very cheap when converting to euro. Their shipping is also quite fast, 1-2 weeks max. It's still in stock.

FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2014, 07:36:18 PM »

Thanks for the link! I'm actually in Australia, so the exchange rate isn't so great for me. Still, works out at about $65 AUD, si I'll think about it. Thanks!

Is the CE worth it? How's the book?

Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2014, 07:45:42 PM »

Thanks for the link! I'm actually in Australia, so the exchange rate isn't so great for me. Still, works out at about $65 AUD, si I'll think about it. Thanks!

Is the CE worth it? How's the book?

I think it's worth every penny. The book is really cool, it has a few pages with art on the end and the beginning it's a little bit of an Adol journal and introduction of the world. The meat of the book is essentially information about the game , like item listings, where to get certain materials, maps and stuff(a strategy guide of sorts, akin to what you would get in blizzard battle chests). It's essentially part strategy guide part artbook and part traditional game manual. It's very well written and well made.

The soundtrack is absolutely stunning with 3 discs of awesome music from the entire Ys series, I already had a blast listening to all 3 discs. The cloth map is really neat aswell, there is also a compass but it's kinda meh for me.
There is not much of a difference price wise between the CE and the actual game and there is so much awesome in that box...I recommend it to say the least.

FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2014, 07:47:03 PM »

Well, you've convinced me! Thanks! Even though I don't have my Vita yet, I'll buy it soon to make sure I don't miss out.

Edit: Is there any games coming up to keep an eye on? I'll definitely be getting Conception II (could get it on 3DS, but I suspect it'll be better on Vita), but what else is coming?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 08:02:10 PM by FlamingR1ft » Logged

Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2014, 08:23:35 PM »

DanganRonpa(which I am dieing to play personally), Demon Gaze, Toukiden and Soul Sacrifice Delta as far as exclusive titles go, besides conception 2.
Ports of FF X HD/Borderlands 2/God of War collection/Wolf Among us/Walking dead...

Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2014, 08:30:38 PM »

I forgot to order the Danganronpa limited edition in time (it's sold out), but I wonder how much I'm missing.  Looks like it's just an artbook and soundtrack and I'm not really crazy about the game's art style (though I still very much want the game).  Anyone know if the soundtrack is any good?

Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2014, 08:36:05 PM »

I forgot to order the Danganronpa limited edition in time (it's sold out), but I wonder how much I'm missing.  Looks like it's just an artbook and soundtrack and I'm not really crazy about the game's art style (though I still very much want the game).  Anyone know if the soundtrack is any good?

Story of my life right here.(Well atleast regarding DanganRonpa). If the soundtrack rocks you can import one from Japan, the LE soundtrack is probably just a musical selections thing.

Aurian

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2014, 08:58:23 PM »

Gravity Rush is awesome. Definitely go for it.

Other good games are ports or were on other systems: Persona 4 Golden, Dragon's Crown, Virtue's Last Reward...

PS.... hit a gaming dry spell... I heard that there are some download-only indie titles on the Playstation Store. Any worth checking out for the Vita?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 09:02:00 PM by Aurian » Logged
Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2014, 09:17:58 PM »

Gravity Rush is awesome. Definitely go for it.

Other good games are ports or were on other systems: Persona 4 Golden, Dragon's Crown, Virtue's Last Reward...

PS.... hit a gaming dry spell... I heard that there are some download-only indie titles on the Playstation Store. Any worth checking out for the Vita?

Guacamelee is! Excellent metroidvania style game, tons of fun with great combat.

Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2014, 09:19:11 PM »

There are a ton of great indie games on the Vita, it's just that they're generally not exclusive to it.  I know a lot of people really like Spelunky on it (haven't tried it yet myself...), and the Vita version of Hotline Miami arguably has the best controls of any version (you've got the sticks to move around but you have the option of targeting things with the touch screen).  There's Guacamelee too but I think that's been mentioned already.  And don't forget Sound Shapes.  There's a number of good older titles, too, such as Limbo and Machinarium if you haven't played them already.  And if you have a PS3 many of these titles are cross-buy.

I don't think it's hard at all to find something to play on the Vita, it's just when people demand games they can only find on Vita that it's a problem.  But if you actually want these games on the go then the Vita is definitely your best option.

FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2014, 09:23:42 PM »

Yeah, the lack of exclusivity has held me back so far. I mean, most of the PSN games people recommend on Vita I already have on PC, 3DS etc.

I really enjoyed Dragon's Crown on PS3, but ultimately returned it. However, I think I'd have a lot more fun with it on Vita (but I prefer handhelds anyway). Danganronpa looks good, but nothing else is really grabbing my attention yet. Hopefully it will in the future, like the PSP did.

Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: