Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 21, 2014, 12:07:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329326 Posts in 13490 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Western Fantasy Suggestions and Your Favorites
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Western Fantasy Suggestions and Your Favorites  (Read 1776 times)
Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: January 08, 2014, 06:39:53 PM »

Ok, so I know I love my JRPG's almost exclusively.

Every once in awhile I like to entertain something different  and the thought of sword and sorcery settings really appeals to me for some reason ATM. In short, I am considering testing the waters with some western fantasy in the not so distant future but don't want to jump the gun.... just look into some highly suggested items.

At the very least I would like to educate myself a bit more on a side of the fantasy/RPG realm I am almost completely unfamiliar. In other words, please don't be offended if I am not in the NEW GAME JOURNAL by the weekend reporting my experience with some of the suggested titles.

Some criteria as to what I am looking for:

-Suggestions of some games with little narrative to follow AND  some with story (both suit different needs in my gaming life). Non-narrative titles are of value to me as aside games to my current JRPG narrative focus.

- More typical fantasy/D&D type setting with character creation.

- Some strategy elements is a MUST in terms of gameplay. I am not opposed to hack and slash altogether but am more prone to enjoying gameplay I need to think about.

-Character creation.....

- Any platform from any generation is fair game in terms of suggestions. Everything from NES on up and even PC games (of which I am not familiar with ANY). If it is a PC game suggestion it just needs to be something a semi-old system can run (my pc is not the best).

- I would REALLY like some character creation/ customization options....

- And last, just out of curiosity I would LOVE to know what some of your guys absolute favorite western fantasy games are.

Some additional info:

-I have never played a "point and click" or "mouse controlled" game and no nothing about them. Feel free to express you opinions or experience with them.

- The only games I do have experience with in this regard are Dragon Age Origins (enjoyed it immensely) and Baldurs Gate Dark Alliance (ps2). Beyond that, I dabbled in a wee bit of Dragons Dogma which hardly counts...

- I like Elves and Tolkien novels.

I eagerly wait to hear your guys input on this!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 06:44:39 PM by Klyde Chroma » Logged

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 07:06:32 PM »

I was going to suggest Dragon Age but it looks like you've already got that covered...

The original Baldur's Gate hasn't really aged that well, but Baldur's Gate 2 improved immensely on that formula and is still oneof my favorite games of all time.  Unfortunately this is one of those cases where I'm reluctant to recommend playing it without playing the first one yet I'm also reluctant to recommend playing the first one...well, most of the story is independent aside from the bigger themes that can be summarized quickly, but there are a lot of returning characters too...

There's also Planescape: Torment.  Very different setting than your typical sword and sworcery game but the writing is absolutely brilliant and really brings it to life.  Another game on my all-time favorites list and this one stands alone.  One interesting thing about Torment is that you still get XP and rewards for finding more diplomatic solutions to the problems you face and if you really go down that route it is actually possible (though not easy) to completw the whole game without fighting.

Of course if you like that sort of thing you might think about the classic Fallout games too...

Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2014, 08:18:11 PM »

I agree with Kevadu's list. If you are worried about the BG1 engine, I think there are mods around that can either put Baldurs gate 1 into the second games engine or join the two together and play them as one. You need both games for either to work though. I think they are called Trinity and Tutu.

I really liked Planescape Torment but it should be mentioned that the combat is not that fun but the writing is great.

I love Icewind Dale but it suffers from the exact opposite problem. It focuses on the gameplay but lets the story take a backseat for the most part.

Divine Divinity is like a Diablo clone with humour. I don't like comparing it to Diablo but that is probably the easiest wat to describe its gameplay.

The Elder Scrolls are fun games. Morrowind is my favourite but the later two installments are probably a lot easier to get into these days.

I never got to far into it but I know Mesh really likes Gothic
Code:
Although his favourite game is TES II Daggerfall <3

Then there are games like The Witcher, Simon the Sorceror, Septerra Core and King of Dragon Pass.

Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2014, 09:30:01 PM »

Speaking of Divine Divinity, I'd also recommend Divinity II Director's Cut. It takes a while to really get rolling, but even the beginning bit is fun in it's own right. The character customization is there, though quite a bit limited, but you'll find plenty of equally good gear to customize your look with. The character development system also has a ton of freedom.

My incredibly adorable avatar was provided by our one and only Dice!
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2014, 10:11:08 PM »

There's Divinity: Original Sin coming out in February too, but that may be too demanding without a console version in sight as the case was for Divinity II. That one'll be turn based as they had been wanting to do for a long time.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2014, 10:15:37 PM »

Not necessarily RPG, but Rockstar titles are great sandbox titles with (perhaps?) RPG-ish elements (or at least I like it, maybe you will too?).  Red Dead Redemption is a really great game.

I got weirdly hooked to Kingdoms of Amalur and Dragon Age is a lot of fun too.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2014, 11:01:06 PM »

Not necessarily RPG, but Rockstar titles are great sandbox titles with (perhaps?) RPG-ish elements (or at least I like it, maybe you will too?).  Red Dead Redemption is a really great game.

I got weirdly hooked to Kingdoms of Amalur and Dragon Age is a lot of fun too.

+1 Amalur, it's not especially strategic iirc and narrative seems competent, but it has a damn good class system with fluid combat.

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
ferretwraith

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2014, 02:58:12 AM »

Well, since the entire posts says SOMEONE TELL ME ABOUT DRAGON AGE ORIGINS... and you already played that... and there are not nearly enough games like it... The Witcher 2?

I played it for the first time recently.  Frustration with boss battles kinda ruined it for me, my strategy for 90% of fights was KILL IT WITH FIRE, and you can't do much character creation other than give Geralt various ponytails... but otherwise it's probably the objectively best game from the last 10 years in the category you're asking for.  The world's interesting, the story's pretty good, graphics are great, elf and dwarf drama out the wazoo, a strange satisfaction from getting bonus damage for using silver swords vs magical creatures, the music keeps showing up on rhythm encounter episodes so I'm assuming that's good :P

Even if it's not a favorite game of mine, it definitely belongs on a list of ones to consider if you're trying to give the WRPG a chance.

Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2014, 05:57:26 PM »

Thanks guys! Lots of great suggestions here for me to look into.

Out of all these gems which would you guys say has the least narrative to focus on? In other words... which would suggest I can play concurrently with a primary JRPG focus still in my life?

Triscal-Goddess / PSN
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2014, 12:44:05 AM »

If you're into emulation, I'd say go for the old SSI D&D games.

Pool of Radiance, Curse of the Azure Bonds, Temple of Elemental Evil etc.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2014, 11:24:51 AM »

Dice may have hit the nail on the head, Red Dead Redemption is perfect in the sense that you can pick it up, go ride around and do simple little things (like skin a snake, or play cards lol) to waste 10 mins or you can follow the main path and complete a longer mission. It's so open it actually bored me towards the end I was begging for more linearity

Everything's Eventual
Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2014, 05:54:51 PM »

Dice may have hit the nail on the head, Red Dead Redemption is perfect in the sense that you can pick it up, go ride around and do simple little things (like skin a snake, or play cards lol) to waste 10 mins or you can follow the main path and complete a longer mission. It's so open it actually bored me towards the end I was begging for more linearity

Even though, I was looking for western fantasy and not a legitmate "Western" i am taking the advice to heart. I have a real affinity for Doc Holiday ever since seeing Val Kilmer play the role in tombstone... I was sort of obsessed for awhile and actually really wanted to check out Red Dead Redemption.

Some quick inquires...

-It was suggested to me to skip the normal game and just play the undead edition. How do you feel about this advice?

-I would, ideally, be playing this alongside a JRPG (as my main game going is always a JRPG). Do you feel Red Dead too involving to suit that type of gaming need in my life? In other words, how narrative heavy or dependent is it?

Triscal-Goddess / PSN
Vencoris

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2014, 07:03:00 PM »

I have 3 primary suggestions, depending on what you are looking for (sorry if they come a bit late):

#1 Neverwinter Nights 2.
It's somewhere between the older infinity engine rpgs and dragon age (DnD ruleset, 3d environments, not as technically advanced as dragon age, but that just means you can probably play it on your pc).
http://www.gog.com/game/neverwinter_nights_2_complete
If you get it, there is a massive body of addons to implement more features into the games and several very high quality modules available.

#2 Elder Scrolls (Skyrim probably, but oblivion is an option)
First person, but massive worlds, nearly no required narrative focus and lots of char creation aspects.  Both have massive worlds with lots to do to keep you busy.  Skyrim is more polished than oblivion, but moved to a more barren and norse oriented atmosphere rather than the classic fantasy that you may not like as much.
In both cases, if you get on pc there are a wealth of addons available to make gameplay more strategic (from smarter, more difficult enemies to controllable sidekicks and skills that require planning and placement such as traps).

#3 Kingdoms of Amalur
This game does a good job of scratching both my RPG and God of War itches at the same time, which would seem on first glance to be a difficult task.  Not especially strategic, but a well built (if very traditional) fantasy world with lots of customization and build features paired with fast combat and dodging make it something I keep going back to when I want to either kill stuff or soack up some atmosphere/lore.

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2014, 07:10:56 PM »

http://www.agdinteractive.com/games/qfg2/homepage/homepage.html

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2014, 07:19:21 PM »

That looks interesting and different Mesh, cool suggestion!

It is difficult to get a clear idea of what to expect from the website, do you have any experience with the game? 

Triscal-Goddess / PSN
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: