Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 27, 2014, 11:12:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329752 Posts in 13518 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Will you raise your kids playing video games?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Will you raise your kids playing video games?  (Read 570 times)
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« on: January 08, 2014, 07:58:27 PM »

I won't personally. Books all the way. If they want games I might indulge their desires but no way will I push games on them.
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 08:02:43 PM »

If I ever have kids, I will pretend that we are really poor... so no.
Money kills moral fiber.
Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2014, 08:10:35 PM »

Probably yes.  Because, well, Dad will likely be playing some games in his spare time. 

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2014, 08:13:47 PM »

If they want a video game as a treat, I'll get them it. I asked my parents for one new video game, maybe every few months or so. Video games aren't bad for kids.

I played games, but I also read books because my dad would give me the ones he was reading after he was done, and then we would talk about the plot and things.

It's everything in moderation dude, there isn't any right way..

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2014, 08:18:20 PM »

I will courageously duck the issue by never having any kids.
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2014, 08:20:19 PM »

I shoulda probably said that too. Haha, gay and NO DESIRE TO EVER WANT ONE.

I still think my opinion is valid though.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2014, 08:28:50 PM »

^ Adoption!  Even easier is adopting from a visibly different ethnicity so they'd likely just figure out on their own they're adopted!  That's my plan!!!

But seriously.  I enjoy the heck out of it, so why not?  And I do think it has its benefits (I hated reading as a kid, games encouraged me to do so...well, y'know, back when games didn't just read all the dialogue to you).  Perhaps just having it in the house will pique the kid's interest, and there are far worse hobbies to take up (I'd still encourage other activities as well, reading or playing an instrument).  I've always found games as pleasant time wasters, the things that aleviate every having to start a conversation with "I'm booored".

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2014, 08:30:41 PM »

Time spent engaging kids is time well spent I think. Whether it is reading books together or playing video games or throwing a baseball around, I have a hard time believing that type of interaction can ever be a bad thing.

EDIT: The flipside of this is that pawning kids off probably has degrees of bad. "Go do your homework and don't bother me" is not optimal, however "go play Candy Crush and don't bother me" is probably an exceptionally bad developmental idea.

But I have no kids and will never have any. Not judging.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 08:32:16 PM by dyeager » Logged
PrismFlux
Contributing Editor

Destroy the Facade

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2014, 08:33:16 PM »

Time spent engaging kids is time well spent I think. Whether it is reading books together or playing video games or throwing a baseball around, I have a hard time believing that type of interaction can ever be a bad thing.

I think the keyword here is like Dave mentioned, "together." If you play games together with your kids or not is probably what matters the most. But yeah too much of any one thing is almost always bad.
Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2014, 08:35:12 PM »

Some of my fondest memories are when I was playing soccer with my entire family or that motorcycle level on Crash Bandicoot 3 Warped. Only video game my parents ever tried. We were like those families on the TV commercials except without the creepy smiles and actually having fun.

Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2014, 08:38:33 PM »

My son plays quite a bit, he also reads a bit. My daughter plays a bit and reads an unreal amount, perhaps the two could have a better balance but over all I am not displeased with their choices. The only thing I did limit was the type of games they could play before a certain age. I didn't and don't really mind the amount of violence, after all TV is right there (and while I may control what they watch there is no guarantee their friends parents feel the same) but I was a bit more apprehensive about the more philosophical/religious aspects until i felt they were old enough to understand different viewpoints and have discussions with me about these, their mother raised them to be very religious and to be honest slightly intolerant, while I respected her wishes to a degree they both grew up to be inquisitive and open minded.  Perhaps games helped this idea to question and to a certain extent challenge what they had taught to be "fact".

Everything's Eventual
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2014, 09:49:45 PM »

I will courageously duck the issue by never having any kids.
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2014, 11:21:46 PM »

I'd love it if my kids got into rpgs and action/adventure games. To let my kids and I have a common i terest would be awesome. My only issue is the having a family part...that's going nowhere fast.

TASTY!
Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2014, 11:24:31 PM »

I will force my child through speed runs of old school games to train them. Then, I will make them play first person shooters until their fingers blister. They will become international sensations by the age of 12.

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: