Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 14, 2014, 10:15:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331266 Posts in 13564 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  What would your ultimate RPG be
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: What would your ultimate RPG be  (Read 2228 times)
deathsaber

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: January 09, 2014, 12:27:15 PM »

With this thread, design what your perfect game would be.  I'm not talking super specific story things- (though don't let me stop you from being specific if you want), but just the broad strokes of what you like most in the genre. 

For me, I would want:

1.  A very structured, linear story- I very much like a consise narrative- nothing too open and loosey goosey- thats why I prefer FF13 to the more freewheeling FF13-2 which to me was a lot of random nonsense

2.  The party- Ideally 6-8 members- I like being able to cycle people in and out - games with 4 protags throughout the entire game turn me off for some reason.  Variety is nice

3.  Battle- I like an old school turn based traditional system- think Dragon Quest, or some of the Final Fantasys.  Basically your commands are attack, magic/special move, item, or run

4.  I also like straight forward leveling up- you kill stuff, you get exp, you level up- also your character has a relatively set class in battle and progresses and gains abilities appripriate for that class-  I don't like games where each party member is an open book to craft as you please- I like having a dedicated fighter, mage, thief, healer, and these roles are what defines the character.  Look at something like FF10- how can Lulu NOT be a black mage, Auron not a power fighter, etc. 

5.  Romance- I'm a sucker for them- give me options, some conversation choices, and some branching paths depending on who you choose.  Honestly, when I read of virtually any JRPG with this as an element, i'm in. 

6.  Strong central bad buy- Golbez, Sephiroth, Kefka-  These guys (and their games) are the stuff of legend.  I don't want any last minute guys that show up at the end, the enemy is "society", a series of minor villians, or other weirdness- I want an epic bad dude to go up against.  (yes, I know Golbez ends up not being the big bad, but he still was the villian for most of the length of FF4)

7.  Length- I like a 30-40 hour quest- then include some challenging endgame sidequest content that can take up another 30-40 hours if players choose.  I loathe some of these 80 hour quests that have been popping up lately.  Too long. 

Anyway, thats what immediately comes to mind for me.  What is your ideal game?
Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2014, 12:44:52 PM »

-Time Travel. The more timey wimey the better.

- I love when rpgs have some mystery behind them.

-If a character has a certain gameplay ability they should be able to use it in the story. If they don't they shouldn't have it in the first place.

- If you have 6 party members but only 3 can go into battle, all six should get full exp to make them all viable in future battles.

- All party members should be somewhat different gameplay wise. That is one thing I wasn't fond with in the mid to late game FFVI, FFVII and FFVIII. Oddly, I didn't mind FFV at all.

-Bosses that require some strategy to beat.

-No missables.

- Memorable villains.

-No Mary Sue or Gary Stu please.

-I tell myself that I prefer tragic stories but secretly I love happy endings.

Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2014, 02:23:50 PM »

Story wise, I'd like something modern day, maybe magic as an element in the story plot of a scientific nature. Mythological beings would be cool (I, Frankenstein looks like the atmosphere I'd love).

Characters would be able to develop relationships based on your choice of pursuing them or just staying friends, and it would impact what they can do together (like couples would protect each other during fights, pals would fight harder together, etc). Secondary character endings wouldn't be simple swaps of characters saying something remarkably similar each time, they'd have dialogue based on their personal design and how you approached each relationship in game.

Battles would be active like a tales game, with a menu drop down for changing tactics or directing a move you're looking for, though you can actively control a member at any point. Combos are available but I would 't want them the entire focus. Multiplayer functionality would be available for it ala tales.

Main character would definitely not be an issue. No one would be the focal point for the duration of the story, but each would have their spotlight at any time. They'd be named and names unchangeable.

Definitely a 7 man party, 4 people in battles. 7 because one of the team has to be the single guy (or girl, gay relationships are viable too). Matter of fact, the characters would join your party after you decide their sex, personality, and probably hair color cuz yeah, hair color is important.

More ideas in my head but can't write em all atm.

TASTY!
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 03:41:52 PM »

I prefer an RPG where your party of characters is treated like a goddamn party of characters instead of 'the main character', 'his love interest', 'and all the rest'.

Specifically, I would love to see a game where there's no particular main character, you can and will have to divide your team to tackle multiple objectives at once, and everyone gets their turn in the narrative spotlight.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2014, 04:03:44 PM »

I prefer an RPG where your party of characters is treated like a goddamn party of characters instead of 'the main character', 'his love interest', 'and all the rest'.

Specifically, I would love to see a game where there's no particular main character, you can and will have to divide your team to tackle multiple objectives at once, and everyone gets their turn in the narrative spotlight.

So...FFVI?

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2014, 04:18:54 PM »

So...FFVI?

Damn that's deep.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2014, 04:48:53 PM »

So...FFVI?

Basically, but where you actually have your benched characters actually go off to a separate corner of the world instead of just sitting on the bench because shit is actually happening in more than just your current destination (or have it so that events can happen at whatever designated bench area of the moment, and who you leave behind and at what level/other traits determine the outcome of such events). My reasoning being that it can A) help alleviate sudden benched character deployment syndrome, B) encourage the use of characters who wouldn't normally fit within a three/four/five man party, or at least C) give characters who's niches make them either redundant/useless something to do until their niche becomes relevant, and D) make it feel less like you're moving at the speed of the plot/the chosen ones who's actions and the villains are the only things that matter, with the side effect of E) giving the villains a chance to feel more like an actual organization rather than one or two guys plus a bunch of nameless, faceless, storm troopers.

In other words. FFVI but with more thought/emphasis on who you leave behind.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2014, 05:49:35 PM »

Pretty much Xenoblade. I'm not even kidding, when I think back to all the things I ever wanted in a game, Xenoblade fits it in almost every single way, and it does them just right, too. I think the only thing I'm missing is the nonlinear, or at least influenceable story, and to be quite honest, I don't want that anymore.

X might be even closer to what I want...since it has pilotable mechs. =P

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2014, 06:01:31 PM »

Another thing I wanted to add. Battles are always like 3 on 1 or 3 on 5, never larger scale. When your group gets really powerful, it's less about fighting stronger opponents and more about fighting larger groups of them. After kingdom hearts 2's thousand heartless fight, I always desired an oppertunity to go all dynasty warriors and fight hundreds of opponents in encounters. Characters' special attacks would adapt to fighting either single strong enemies or huge groups of fodder. It always irritated me how in an rpg your character would become so superpowered, but storyline forced you out as a wimp at times. My ultimate rpg's final boss fight would include fighting a thousand enemies, including every monster or enemy you fought along the way.

TASTY!
Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2014, 06:04:50 PM »

Pretty much Xenoblade. I'm not even kidding, when I think back to all the things I ever wanted in a game, Xenoblade fits it in almost every single way, and it does them just right, too. I think the only thing I'm missing is the nonlinear, or at least influenceable story, and to be quite honest, I don't want that anymore.

X might be even closer to what I want...since it has pilotable mechs. =P

I felt the same way while I played Xenoblade.

Now having some distance from my playthrough and time with it, I can't say it is my perfect RPG. Mainly I have a few personal gripes with the sidequests and setting. Hardly enough complaints to knock it out of my favorites from this last generation but flawed enough that I have certainly enjoyed other games as much/more.

I wish I had a half hour right now to sit and think about this! I can't wait to have some free time to sit and conceptualize my ideal RPG. COOL FREAKIN' THREAD HERE!!!! I shall return....

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2014, 07:21:59 PM »

The side quests are a minor gripe for me. I like how they're excuted, and I like some of the little mundane stories associated with them. I just don't like having so many.

And I love the setting! It's a really creative idea and everything looks great.

And it's not so much about what I enjoyed so much as nearly every component is what I've always wanted out of games. It helps that nearly half of my top 10 games are Action-Adventure games - All I really want out of games is a visually stimulating world to explore.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2014, 01:49:23 AM »

1.  A very structured, linear story- I very much like a consise narrative- nothing too open and loosey goosey- thats why I prefer FF13 to the more freewheeling FF13-2 which to me was a lot of random nonsense

I thought that the freedom in XIII-2 was adequate and well-presented for the most part. That said, linearity has its own evils but I'm not against it, overall though the idea of freedom you see in Deus Ex or Human Revolution I would say is more my thing.
Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2014, 07:08:05 AM »

Action-oriented battle system, where each character feels different to play and has a unique gimmick or skill that makes him, her, or it useful and fun.  Party size is ideally 4.  At least one character is an optional "secret" recruit. 

Between 7 and 9 characters, each with a distinct personality and specific character or plot issues that are acknowledged and at least re-addressed before the final stages of the game (if not necessarily resolved).  Basically, I want individual character arcs that aren't totally swept under the rug over the course of the game. 

Combat that is actually fun and at least somewhat strategic.  Requires some level of finesse or patience and not mindless mashes and clicks.  Re-emphasize each character feeling different and bringing something unique to the table. 

Game is medium difficulty, but with experience caps in certain areas.  Grinding vs not grinding should be a choice most of the time.  A mandatory grind is never, ever good. 

Each character has multiple level / upgrade paths where players are forced to choose between different builds or skills.  Clearly delineated and NOT a giant grid or web lacking obvious direction.  I want to keep these characters distinct, remember? 

FAST. TRAVEL.  For areas that you have already visited, at least between towns or major hubs. 

Linear story, but with a large world map where players are encouraged to explore.  Players should know exactly what they need to do and where they go for the next plot event, but are encouraged to stray off the beaten path. 

Large number of side quests and optional content, but with said content being recorded in a quest log and having clear start times and deadlines.  None of this "talk to person A before event C" without any warning about event C. 

Basically I want a rebalanced Dragon Quest VIII or Skies of Arcadia with an actiony battle system.  Is that too much to ask?  Did I basically describe XenoBlade Chronicles?  (which I own, but haven't played yet).  Maybe and maybe. 

GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2014, 10:36:08 AM »

Mass Effect with dragons.
I like a mix of tech with fantasy. I know it's been done before, but rarely the way I'd like it done.
Definitely action/rpg. Like ME but with less emphasis on gunplay.
Super powerful attacks that make me feel like a bad ass in battle. Magic like in Bioshock Infinite maybe.
No longer than 30 hours. I have a life to live, and would like to finish it before I die.
I'm tired of environmental music in pretty much every game nowadays. I want some incredible tunes that will rock me or move me depending upon the moment. 
Good writing, dammit! This is where FF fails every time(IMHO). The little I played of FFXIII totally turned me off because of the horrible script.
I'm with AgentD on more epic battles. The world of EVIL vs me/my party sounds awesome.
Really great boss battles seem to have disappeared. In games like ME/DA/Witcher, at least. There should ALWAYS be amazing boss battles.
I don't want to spend half my playtime in menu screens. Please keep all systems simple. And don't confuse me with 1,000,000 options for equipment and items. It just makes me feel like I'm always making the wrong decision.
Make the coolest weapons/armor part of the main game. Not so easily obtained, but not behind a "beat the game first" wall. Or behind a uber secret boss that you have to grind for 20 hrs to beat. Not fun.

I'm sure there's more, but I need to move on.

Playing:
Reading: Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2014, 12:45:00 PM »

I'm open to pretty much everything and not really picky, so prepare for a rather boring post.

I think I'd like a game centered around the idea of freedom and exploration, like Grandia and Skies of Arcadia, with a variety of lore to explore and learn.  Not really TES-esque, but rather the world being in an age of exploration and learning.  Unfortunately, that doesn't really mesh with my preferred RPG story, which contains mindfuck or insanity elements that aren't entirely obscure. So story-wise something more like Xenogears or Tsukihime(insanity) than Drakengard.

My preferences for gameplay tend to change, but I love job systems where I can mix and mash my skills and break the game with enough work, or purposely challenge myself with thematic or stylized builds.  
If I had one preference for enemies, I loved the Gigas from Skies of Arcadia, but I don't really want something like a hunting game (MH) where the focus is on hunting them.  They should be rare and reserved for major events. Bjorn from DQV is another example.

GUST Sound Team and the Nier team doing compositions. Lots of vocals in various languages, please.  Possibly with Miki Higashino (Suikoden 1-2) doing the town themes.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 12:48:34 PM by Cyril » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: