With this thread, design what your perfect game would be. I'm not talking super specific story things- (though don't let me stop you from being specific if you want), but just the broad strokes of what you like most in the genre.
For me, I would want:
1. A very structured, linear story- I very much like a consise narrative- nothing too open and loosey goosey- thats why I prefer FF13 to the more freewheeling FF13-2 which to me was a lot of random nonsense
2. The party- Ideally 6-8 members- I like being able to cycle people in and out - games with 4 protags throughout the entire game turn me off for some reason. Variety is nice
3. Battle- I like an old school turn based traditional system- think Dragon Quest, or some of the Final Fantasys. Basically your commands are attack, magic/special move, item, or run
4. I also like straight forward leveling up- you kill stuff, you get exp, you level up- also your character has a relatively set class in battle and progresses and gains abilities appripriate for that class- I don't like games where each party member is an open book to craft as you please- I like having a dedicated fighter, mage, thief, healer, and these roles are what defines the character. Look at something like FF10- how can Lulu NOT be a black mage, Auron not a power fighter, etc.
5. Romance- I'm a sucker for them- give me options, some conversation choices, and some branching paths depending on who you choose. Honestly, when I read of virtually any JRPG with this as an element, i'm in.
6. Strong central bad buy- Golbez, Sephiroth, Kefka- These guys (and their games) are the stuff of legend. I don't want any last minute guys that show up at the end, the enemy is "society", a series of minor villians, or other weirdness- I want an epic bad dude to go up against. (yes, I know Golbez ends up not being the big bad, but he still was the villian for most of the length of FF4)
7. Length- I like a 30-40 hour quest- then include some challenging endgame sidequest content that can take up another 30-40 hours if players choose. I loathe some of these 80 hour quests that have been popping up lately. Too long.
Anyway, thats what immediately comes to mind for me. What is your ideal game?