Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 30, 2015, 02:51:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Have a great 2015 from all of us at RPGfan. :)
356181 Posts in 14463 Topics by 2262 Members
Latest Member: Yoru
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Unsung Story: A Kickstarter by Yasumi Matsuno.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 Print
Author Topic: Unsung Story: A Kickstarter by Yasumi Matsuno.  (Read 17025 times)
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #135 on: February 23, 2014, 11:56:21 PM »

Just in case anyone missed it, even though they didn't hit his stretch goal, Sakimoto is going to be on the team.

Edit: Or I'm an idiot and it was mentioned two pages ago.  I even did a Control-F!

Oh well.
Dice
I'm fart and I'm smunny
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #136 on: February 24, 2014, 12:00:31 AM »

Just in case anyone missed it, even though they didn't hit his stretch goal, Sakimoto is going to be on the team.

Edit: Or I'm an idiot and it was mentioned two pages ago.  I even did a Control-F!

Oh well.

It matters not!

Great job Cyril!  Thanks for the info!

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Ikusagami

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #137 on: February 24, 2014, 01:20:41 AM »

Oh well.

That is fantastic news. I was hoping they'd still get some of those extras even without the preliminary funding, and the music is much more important than the "flavor text." 
Hopefully they can still get a decent localization, but if it turns out as yet another Babelfish job, I'll just play the Japanese version.   
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #138 on: February 24, 2014, 06:56:38 AM »

Oh well.

That is fantastic news. I was hoping they'd still get some of those extras even without the preliminary funding, and the music is much more important than the "flavor text." 
Hopefully they can still get a decent localization, but if it turns out as yet another Babelfish job, I'll just play the Japanese version.   
It is being developed by an American studio, so I assume that the "original" language will be English as I don't believe that Matsuno is writing the script.
daved

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #139 on: February 24, 2014, 12:15:07 PM »

Oh well.

It is being developed by an American studio, so I assume that the "original" language will be English as I don't believe that Matsuno is writing the script.

On the other hand there was talk of localization and two Japanese to English translators Alex Smith and Joseph Reeder are their first stretch goal.  I'd think if all dialogue and story was going to written by Playdek there'd be no need for them... Unless they're actually helping with the localization of the Japanese version, but then that wouldn't make much sense as a stretch goal :)
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #140 on: February 24, 2014, 12:44:54 PM »

Oh well.

On the other hand there was talk of localization and two Japanese to English translators Alex Smith and Joseph Reeder are their first stretch goal.  I'd think if all dialogue and story was going to written by Playdek there'd be no need for them... Unless they're actually helping with the localization of the Japanese version, but then that wouldn't make much sense as a stretch goal :)

I think in this case, its just a matter of wanting them for their ye olde faux Shakespearian dialog rather than any actual localization work. Especially since they're regulars on Matsuno directed games and having them would help to 'complete the package' so to speak.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #141 on: March 05, 2014, 12:45:40 AM »

And speaking of which....

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/03/04/translator-alexander-o-smith-joins-unsung-story-development-team/

Makes me wonder what they were really going for with those stretch goals.

Dice
I'm fart and I'm smunny
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #142 on: March 05, 2014, 01:54:03 AM »

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/03/04/translator-alexander-o-smith-joins-unsung-story-development-team/

If people would pay up then win-win. :P

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #143 on: March 05, 2014, 06:42:46 AM »

Because they thought they would millions of dollars because their idea was so awesome and therefore the early stretch goals didn't really matter?
Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #144 on: February 23, 2015, 09:51:03 PM »

http://www.siliconera.com/2015/02/23/yasumi-matsunos-unsung-story-gets-early-work-in-progress-screenshots/

Pardon the necro but after almost one full year, we're finally getting some screenshots and deets of the game (if for no other reason than to remind us that it still exists).

Looks like they want 8-way movement but haven't accepted that you can't do 8-way on a grid yet (they'd need some sort of node system to pull it off). It also seems that the first assignment of the 77 Years War is to have 'The Knight of knights' star in his own version of The Misadventures of the Baby Sitter's Club.

Annubis

ee yan~☆

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #145 on: February 23, 2015, 11:27:48 PM »

It could be possible if the system used action points and moving diagonally would then cost 1.5 times a normal move.
I mean, there's room for abuse by sprinting diagonally which would get you somewhere cheaper but I mean, that's kind of a normal thing we all do every day walking around.
OrsonFury

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #146 on: February 24, 2015, 03:25:04 PM »

I noticed in past updates on their Kickstarter page that Playdek were hard at work on mechanics and storyline. They finally showed one concept art from Akihiko Yoshida titled, "Unreleased Painting of Sir Vensniel L’Brasca" with that recent update, so hopefully we'll start to see more regular updates with screens and such. *I'm not involved in the gaming mainstream/indie industry so I have no idea if their general development is slow or not. At least we can start to visualize what they're working on. :)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 03:27:09 PM by OrsonFury » Logged

I can't wait to devour Xenoblade Chronicles X (Wii U) and Fire Emblem IF (3DS).
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #147 on: February 25, 2015, 08:20:24 PM »

The art I've seen of the game look great, but I really hope those screens only look that way because it's early development, and not because they're a preview of what the game will look like.

that's kind of a normal thing we all do every day walking around.

If you wanted to simulate real-life movement you'd probably just use movement circles and sized units. Four way movement works because a 2D plane only has 2 axises. I mean you could use 8 way movement and then try to simulate real-life movement closer but at that point why not just use circles?
Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #148 on: February 25, 2015, 10:52:12 PM »

The art I've seen of the game look great, but I really hope those screens only look that way because it's early development, and not because they're a preview of what the game will look like.

that's kind of a normal thing we all do every day walking around.

If you wanted to simulate real-life movement you'd probably just use movement circles and sized units. Four way movement works because a 2D plane only has 2 axises. I mean you could use 8 way movement and then try to simulate real-life movement closer but at that point why not just use circles?

Probably because they're trying for what sounds like a Tactics Ogre/Final Fantasy Tactics thing with flanking mechanics (which becomes a whole shit load more awkward when you're trying to figure out where the frontal assault ends and the flanking begins in a circular movement system; both for the designer and the player). Additionally, they'd have to work out things like choke points and traffic congestion with circular movement, and my experience with Sakura Taisen doesn't inspire a lot of hope that it won't end up being awkward as all hell (then again, ST has rather large character units due to the giant robot armor factor which is probably why the battles in those games become more of an issue of picking the one to lead your single file march on the enemy than actually fighting them; that, and lousy map design, the SRPG elements were unfortunately more of a side attraction to the Dating Sim elements).

Unfortunately, I suspect that they aren't going to be ditching the 8-way grid at this stage, since doing so will mean having to redesign every map they've made thus far (even though hexes or a node based movement system would've worked so much more easily than an 8-way grid). And while the graphics might get touched up later on, I wouldn't be terribly surprised if they don't look that much better than how it does in those renders. After all, these guys aren't exactly an army of computer graphic artists aimlessly rendering 15k polygon flowerpots like Squeenix is.

Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #149 on: February 25, 2015, 11:50:16 PM »

My problem with the screens isn't that the graphics look "objectively" bad or anything, it's that it lacks style. Final Fantasy Tactics and Tactics Ogre both have technically unimpressive visuals but are nevertheless really nice to look at. FFXII was impressive in both regards but that would be an unfair comparison. This can get fixed by appropriate lighting and whatnot though, which is why it's hard to really pass judgment on early screenshots like these.

As far as the flanking thing goes I don't think it'd be too difficult to display (I think FFXIV does it really well by having a ring under enemies that let you know exactly what range is considered the back of the enemy), but I will agree that most games that try doing the circular movement thing don't design the maps to accommodate that very well.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: