Author Topic: Unsung Story: A Failed Kickstarter by People Who Aren't Yasumi Matsuno.

Ranadiel

• View Profile
Re: Unsung Story: A Kickstarter by Yasumi Matsuno.
« Reply #180 on: February 10, 2016, 06:54:42 AM »
Kickstart investors get nothing back, aside from the finished product

This might be semantics, but this is because Kickstarter "investors" are not investors at all.  They're donators.
See that's where I get annoyed, as you're right, it's all donations. But that's an issue here, this isn't going to a non-profit organization or something like that, this is to help a company make a product they fully intend to make money off of. If it were to release the game for free or for good cause or something, I could be more forgiving, but they were denied at the real investors who would have received their investment back in full upon completion or failure. For a kickstarter, I get that if it doesn't go well the donators will be stiffed, but why should they not benefit from the success? It baffles me that this works as a practice now, it all sounds like a massive scheme.
If you think that is bad, you should check out this video about Fig, the Kickstarter alternative that allows for investments. Short version, horrible deal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFX0f_YUn1I

With Kickstarter you at least know what you are getting.

EmeraldSword

• View Profile
« Reply #181 on: February 28, 2016, 02:15:15 PM »
A wishy-washy update from Playdek yesterday. They resolved some issues with their first creditor, now they're working on their second creditor. If successful, they could be a better financial standing to refund backers who want their financial support back.

Update:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/482445197/unsung-story-tale-of-the-guardians/posts/1503862

Me as backer and whelp... sad panda:

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #182 on: February 29, 2016, 06:31:03 AM »
A wishy-washy update from Playdek yesterday. They resolved some issues with their first creditor, now they're working on their second creditor. If successful, they could be a better financial standing to refund backers who want their financial support back.

Update:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/482445197/unsung-story-tale-of-the-guardians/posts/1503862

Me as backer and whelp... sad panda:

I feel that they are underestimating the degree to which people are going to want refunds at this stage. Also I noticed that they have already spent close to 3x the funding amount on the project and still are not done.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: February 29, 2016, 12:07:06 PM »
I was so close to backing this.  The only thing that held me back was that I knew I could never sell my wife on the idea of spending money on something that didn't technically exist, much less a VIDEO GAME that didn't technically exist.

Thank goodness for my wife's sensibility.  And screw Playdek for teasing me with Matsuno.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #184 on: February 29, 2016, 01:33:20 PM »
Just how involved was Matsuno with this project, anyway?

Towns Car Marty

• Certified Dirtbag
  • RPGFan Editor
  • the spookiest driest boy
    • View Profile
    • MisanthroPop
« Reply #185 on: February 29, 2016, 03:34:44 PM »
Not very. It was unclear for many months but once they hit their goal it became revealed that it was in an advisory capacity via a translator remotely at home in Japan.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
Re: Unsung Story: A Failed Kickstarter by People Who Aren't Yasumi Matsuno.
« Reply #186 on: March 01, 2016, 05:42:15 AM »
Not very. It was unclear for many months but once they hit their goal it became revealed that it was in an advisory capacity via a translator remotely at home in Japan.

Yeah, this has been nothing but a complete wash and a hard lesson on the dangers of Kickstarters.

Thank god I didn't put any actual money down on this horse (meat and glue).

(Changing the title because screw it. Another one bites the dust.)
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #187 on: March 01, 2016, 05:45:30 AM »
Well, atleast the title of the game is perfect. This story will not be sung. Or told. Or anything.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: March 01, 2016, 10:40:48 AM »

Love it.

Well, atleast the title of the game is perfect. This story will not be sung. Or told. Or anything.
*golf clap*
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

EmeraldSword

• View Profile
« Reply #189 on: March 02, 2016, 11:57:44 AM »
Thank god I didn't put any actual money down on this horse (meat and glue). (Changing the title because screw it. Another one bites the dust.)

Thanks for the title change, Aeolus. I needed a good laugh out loud for my $50 that's heading down the drain (unless by a miracle, I get it back).

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: March 02, 2016, 12:17:54 PM »
Thank god I didn't put any actual money down on this horse (meat and glue). (Changing the title because screw it. Another one bites the dust.)

Thanks for the title change, Aeolus. I needed a good laugh out loud for my $50 that's heading down the drain (unless by a miracle, I get it back).

What helps me when I've found I've wasted money on a bad game or a bad meal or whatever is I think of something else I feel like I enjoyed enough to have been willing to pay extra for and imagine the money went toward that.

EmeraldSword

• View Profile
« Reply #191 on: March 02, 2016, 03:31:19 PM »
What helps me when I've found I've wasted money on a bad game or a bad meal or whatever is I think of something else I feel like I enjoyed enough to have been willing to pay extra for and imagine the money went toward that.

Gratitude. Yes, that's an excellent attitude and reminder. I'm currently grateful for XBCX. I waited years to play but have loved every minute and inch of the open-world exploration. Also, I'm thankful for Fire Emblem Fates. I'm getting my tactical rpg fix there now. :)

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: March 02, 2016, 03:42:11 PM »

Gratitude. Yes, that's an excellent attitude and reminder. I'm currently grateful for XBCX. I waited years to play but have loved every minute and inch of the open-world exploration. Also, I'm thankful for Fire Emblem Fates. I'm getting my tactical rpg fix there now. :)

Check my sig, friend. ;)

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #193 on: March 03, 2016, 09:35:43 AM »

I'll get FE:Fates soon but with response to XBX:
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: March 03, 2016, 02:59:40 PM »
Bleh, honestly though not everything works out perfectly guess what that's the way the world works sometimes, it just happened to be with a particular video game this time.

No need to dwell on it, still good with Crimson Shroud for that fix honestly...

« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 03:01:52 PM by Artimicia »
"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.