Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2014, 03:58:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
337926 Posts in 13834 Topics by 2212 Members
Latest Member: WhiteWishes
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Unsung Story: A Kickstarter by Yasumi Matsuno.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10 Print
Author Topic: Unsung Story: A Kickstarter by Yasumi Matsuno.  (Read 9732 times)
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2014, 01:02:12 AM »

It's really hard to predict anything about how well a Kickstarter will do less than a day into it.  At least wait until the initial spike seems to die down.

Hell even then, you never know. That Shantae Kickstarter got a major boost near the end of its window when the Mighty No. 9 Kickstarter pulled off a small collaboration with them. Not to mention the possibility of a campaign adopting alternate backing avenues like Paypal that can prolong the life of a fundraising long after the Kickstarter itself closes.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2014, 07:06:14 AM »

I've backed it for the moment, but I am having some serious warning flags flash in the back of my head, so there is a good chance I might end up backing out before the end of the campaign. It is kind of hard to explain why it is triggering warning flags. The simplest explanation I can come up with is that it is giving me Sands of Destruction vibes. I mean yes Yasumi Matsuno directed Final Fantasy Tactics which has a great story....but he also did Final Fantasy XII which is the worst Final Fantasy imo. As far as I can tell there is no discussion of the writing staff, and that is making me worried.

As for total at the end of the Kickstarter, my gut is telling me 700k-800k.
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2014, 10:21:10 AM »

Matsuno left (/was pulled from) the FFXII project about halfway through, so he didn't get to make the Final Fantasy he wanted to make. And don't forget the other games he did work on from beginning to end, like Ogre Battle/Tactics Ogre, Vagrant Story and that neat little love letter to tabletop RPGs titled Crimson Shroud.
FallenGrace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2014, 10:29:03 AM »

If it gets close to it's Vita fund goal i'll pitch in financially. Don't care for IOS/PC games so here's hoping it gets the funding as I rather want to play this.

Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2014, 11:44:09 AM »

Matsuno left (/was pulled from) the FFXII project about halfway through, so he didn't get to make the Final Fantasy he wanted to make. And don't forget the other games he did work on from beginning to end, like Ogre Battle/Tactics Ogre, Vagrant Story and that neat little love letter to tabletop RPGs titled Crimson Shroud.

Given that FFXII was so fraught with executive meddling that two of the six playable characters were more or less shoehorned into the game, I'm willing to give the guy the benefit of the doubt on this one.

What I am hoping wont go down with this is if this game turns out to be game 7 of 9 or something like that. It didn't work for Tactics Ogre, it didn't work for Xenogears/saga, and it probably wont work for this either.

Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2014, 02:44:29 PM »

If it doesn't get 1.3M to at least get Sakamoto on board, then I don't think I'll care that much. The entire atmosphere of the game will be counting on Sakamoto doing music IMO.  Who would be on sound duty otherwise?

"Oh, a hunter..."
Vencoris

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2014, 03:06:54 PM »

Given that FFXII was so fraught with executive meddling that two of the six playable characters were more or less shoehorned into the game, I'm willing to give the guy the benefit of the doubt on this one.

/agree

I enjoyed FFXII, but then I didn't use Vaan or Penelo in my group and ignored them as much as possible.
The game structure showed a lot of promise and I would have loved to see what could have been done without meddling and had he not bowed out halfway.
Ivalice Alliance
Valendia Knights of the Peace

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2014, 03:37:53 PM »

It slightly depresses me that we need it to reach $1.3 million, just to get Sakimoto on board. If this gets enough attention, it will easily surpass that, and I would love to see this get on the VITA or 3DS. It's almost a necessity to have the game on those handhelds.

Currently Playing-The Evil Within
Waiting On-Bloodborne, Final Fantasy Type-O, Final Fantasy XV, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Wonderflick, The Last Guardian, Shenmue III
siveon

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2014, 10:10:57 PM »

I'm just a bit annoyed that the Kickstarter video didn't even star the man himself. Just a few pictures.

I won't be backing though. There isn't any physical copies of the game, so I'm not missing out on anything except some trivial classes. I'll just wait until the development is finished and see where it goes from there.

I mean it's not like this thing won't get funded anyway.
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2014, 07:08:56 AM »

Yeah so I decided to pull my pledge yesterday. There are too many red flags in my mind for backing this to be a good idea. I have zero confidence that a mobile developer that specializes in card games is going to be able to make an amazing tactical RPG just because they have a single developer (especially one who is at least in part responsible for FF12).
Yeah, I've played none of those.

What I am hoping wont go down with this is if this game turns out to be game 7 of 9 or something like that. It didn't work for Tactics Ogre, it didn't work for Xenogears/saga, and it probably wont work for this either.
See, the thing is it is being put prominently on his little bio thing. So as far as I am concerned, either he or the developers of the game want us to associate him with the final product regardless of what his actual level of involvement was since it is listed in his bio section. Plus there are no real redeeming factors for that game for him short of it having a very nice bestiary, so any involvement he might have had makes me question why I thought backing this was ever a good idea.
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2014, 07:15:07 AM »

Yeah, but that one guy helped lay the foundation for a beloved genre nearly two decades ago and he seems to be at his best when working in a smaller team. Have some faith :)
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2014, 09:18:22 AM »

So you're basing your opinion on Matsuno/this project after playing one (maybe two) of his games, one of which he had his involvement pulled halfway through? And I'm sure XII is being prominently displayed because...well, regardless of what you or anyone else thinks of it the fact is that it was critically a huge success and it does have its fans. It'd be like saying you have no faith in Kitase heading a work because you didn't like FF7 and they're using that in its advertising. I'm not saying it's an invalid feeling on a personal level, but there's not really any mystery as to why it's being used.
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2014, 10:11:02 AM »

I can see being cautious about the developer, but Matsuno?  The guy practically created the modern SRPG and has an amazing resume.

That blows my mind.
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

WOLOLO

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2014, 11:13:27 AM »

I can see being cautious about the developer, but Matsuno?  The guy practically created the modern SRPG and has an amazing resume.

That blows my mind.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2014, 02:59:07 PM »

So you're basing your opinion on Matsuno/this project after playing one (maybe two) of his games, one of which he had his involvement pulled halfway through? And I'm sure XII is being prominently displayed because...well, regardless of what you or anyone else thinks of it the fact is that it was critically a huge success and it does have its fans. It'd be like saying you have no faith in Kitase heading a work because you didn't like FF7 and they're using that in its advertising. I'm not saying it's an invalid feeling on a personal level, but there's not really any mystery as to why it's being used.

Yeah, even if Squeenix has pissed away the gravitas of the mainline FF series over the last decade, being a director of one is still a noteworthy role to the general market.

Besides, FFXII wasn't really that bad (although I am concerned that there will be bullshit loot mechanics like in every other Matsuno game; though being an SRPG might mean that it'll work a hell of a lot better than in FFXII).

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: