Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2014, 08:55:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332914 Posts in 13642 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Unsung Story: A Kickstarter by Yasumi Matsuno.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10 Print
Author Topic: Unsung Story: A Kickstarter by Yasumi Matsuno.  (Read 8890 times)
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2014, 05:51:20 PM »

I liked FFXII...

FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2014, 05:52:37 PM »

I liked FFXII...

I loved FFXII...

Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2014, 06:56:00 AM »

So you're basing your opinion on Matsuno/this project after playing one (maybe two) of his games, one of which he had his involvement pulled halfway through? And I'm sure XII is being prominently displayed because...well, regardless of what you or anyone else thinks of it the fact is that it was critically a huge success and it does have its fans. It'd be like saying you have no faith in Kitase heading a work because you didn't like FF7 and they're using that in its advertising. I'm not saying it's an invalid feeling on a personal level, but there's not really any mystery as to why it's being used.
Oh I totally understand why it is being used since it apparently got a 40 from Fatimsu....which blows my mind on so many levels. But as you said, it is a personal feeling. Side note: I don't know what else Kitase has done so if someone was advertising a game based solely on his involvement and the fact that he did FF7, I'd probably just say meh. :p

Besides, FFXII wasn't really that bad (although I am concerned that there will be bullshit loot mechanics like in every other Matsuno game; though being an SRPG might mean that it'll work a hell of a lot better than in FFXII).
Yes it was! Worst numbered FF to date. Hell I rank it below FF3 and I despise FF3. :p

I can see being cautious about the developer, but Matsuno?  The guy practically created the modern SRPG and has an amazing resume.

That blows my mind.
If I am going to be precise, it isn't that I am cautious about him. I am just not impressed by the resume they are presenting and they are basically selling the game solely on his reputation. If they were presenting something about the rest of the team, then maybe I would be more interested. So it more of Matsuno- meh (which I am sure blows your mind just as much), rest of the team-cautious. All of which is resulting in giant red flags in my head.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 07:12:25 AM by Ranadiel » Logged
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2014, 02:27:56 PM »

Besides, FFXII wasn't really that bad (although I am concerned that there will be bullshit loot mechanics like in every other Matsuno game; though being an SRPG might mean that it'll work a hell of a lot better than in FFXII).
Yes it was! Worst numbered FF to date. Hell I rank it below FF3 and I despise FF3. :p

At least you didn't rank it below FFII. :p

And at any rate, in spite of my issues with FFXII (especially its end/post game), I would definitively rank it above FFXIII-1 since at least FFXII was not just a hallway simulator/cutscene treadmill/tech demo. At least there were things to discover, like hidden Espers, in FFXII's massive overworld (versus FFXIII's Land Down Under, which was little more than the Calm Lands+).

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2014, 02:50:55 PM »

I like FFII.

Now you XII fans know how I feel when people casually say your game is bad and it's just accepted.

That said, I like the first half of FFXII quite a bit. The second half, not so much.  
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2014, 03:04:46 PM »

Now you XII fans know how I feel when people casually say your game is bad and it's just accepted.

That said, I like the first half of FFXII quite a bit. The second half, not so much.  

Oooohhh. Now I understand what a Beyond the Beyond fan must feel like everytime somebody talks shit about their game.

I like FFII.

Which version?

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
PrismFlux
RPGFan Editor

Destroy the Facade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2014, 03:24:26 PM »

Oooohhh. Now I understand what a Beyond the Beyond fan must feel like everytime somebody talks shit about their game.

That game is awesome. My best friend and I played it when it was released and (since we were just kids at the time) we thought the characters were launching forward due to flatulence when they crit. Massive lulz each fight.
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2014, 03:29:31 PM »

Eh, I like the higher difficulty of the PS1 remake but I think everything else in that release is inferior and there was quite a bit broken in the PS1 and any earlier releases.

So probably the PSP version is best "overall."  That version does have the GBA's DoS epilogue/extended story, right?
For the record, what pushed me over the edge of liking FFII was that status effects are absolutely deadly for both you and the enemy (Confusion in Tower of the Magi, hello!), and positive and negative effects used by you are useful/mandatory.  And even things like Swap, Drain, and Osmose, which I don't really use in many other Final Fantasy games, are almost imperative for long-term survival.
DrGonzo

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2014, 01:37:35 AM »

Even though I've never cared for the story and characters that Matsuno creates because of how poorly structured it is, I've always loved the way he handles strategy elements. So I hope to god that this comes to PC at least and not on a mobile phone where I actually have to deal with my iPhone.
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2014, 06:47:27 AM »

So currently at 345k. Generally speaking it seems to be slowing down, but that is pretty normal for a Kickstarter after a couple of days. It should probably hit its goals, although I'm not completely sure when to guess it will hit the goal. I'm thinking maybe 20 days from now, but will need more data points to see how much of a slow up it has.

At least you didn't rank it below FFII. :p

And at any rate, in spite of my issues with FFXII (especially its end/post game), I would definitively rank it above FFXIII-1 since at least FFXII was not just a hallway simulator/cutscene treadmill/tech demo. At least there were things to discover, like hidden Espers, in FFXII's massive overworld (versus FFXIII's Land Down Under, which was little more than the Calm Lands+).

.....actually I did rank it below FF2.  The bottom of my list of FFs by quality is FF2 is better than FF3 which is better than FF12. :p As for 13, I actually got some enjoyment out of it despite its poor design decisions, so it is ranked somewhere near the middle of my list.
Zendervai

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2014, 10:13:09 AM »

Even though I've never cared for the story and characters that Matsuno creates because of how poorly structured it is, I've always loved the way he handles strategy elements. So I hope to god that this comes to PC at least and not on a mobile phone where I actually have to deal with my iPhone.

It's coming to PC. The initial basic release is for IOS, Android and PC.
DrGonzo

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2014, 02:40:40 PM »

Ah okay, I guess I mis-read it as just for iOS.
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2014, 07:19:24 AM »

Well it is coming to PC if it hits its funding goal (which it probably should). If it doesn't hit the goal then I believe it will be coming out to just IOS and Android.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2014, 12:30:12 PM »

Matsuno left (/was pulled from) the FFXII project about halfway through, so he didn't get to make the Final Fantasy he wanted to make.

Only thing I've ever seen online was the official statement about Matsuno going through some health issues and later his duties being taken over by three staff members at SQEX at the time.

Even though I've never cared for the story and characters that Matsuno creates because of how poorly structured it is

In my experience that's one of the most engaging aspects of his work.
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2014, 12:54:02 PM »

Matsuno is not the director of the game. A lot more weary of this game now. http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-01-18/yasumi-matsuno-not-directing-unsung-heroes-game

"Oh, a hunter..."
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: