Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 02:24:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334822 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Unsung Story: A Kickstarter by Yasumi Matsuno.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10 Print
Author Topic: Unsung Story: A Kickstarter by Yasumi Matsuno.  (Read 9260 times)
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: January 22, 2014, 12:56:33 AM »

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/01/21/unsung-story-stretch-goals-vita-3ds-lowered-ps4-added/

Anticipation = Rising

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: January 22, 2014, 01:06:33 AM »

I saw that as well, I hope it reaches the $1,000,000 mark. Unfortunately, but as expected, the funding seems to have slowed way down.  They haven't hit $400,000 yet. Still, that they've even received as much as they have is excellent and gives me some real warm fuzzy feelings about the future of RPGs on a small scale.  There's still a market, you guys!
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: January 22, 2014, 01:44:34 AM »

It certainly adds a lot more to a smaller scale story with lots of character development that makes the characters feel more like actual characters than a larger scale one with none of those qualities whatsoever.

Aesop's "The Fox and the Grapes" is an incredibly simple story that makes you think about cognitive dissonance.  There is no character development.  But it's not needed, because that's not the point of the story.  Every author has a different purpose for what they are writing.  Each author determines what they want to focus on.

You like character-centric stories.  That's fine, there's nothing wrong with that.  I however, take issue with your notion that stories that aren't character-centric aren't told well.

---

The stretch goal for Vita being lowered to $1 million makes me really happy.  I was originally just observing how the Kickstarter performed, but that number is much more realistic.  Definitely donating now.
DrGonzo

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: January 22, 2014, 02:51:32 AM »

Aesop's "The Fox and the Grapes" is an incredibly simple story that makes you think about cognitive dissonance.  There is no character development.  But it's not needed, because that's not the point of the story.  Every author has a different purpose for what they are writing.  Each author determines what they want to focus on.

You like character-centric stories.  That's fine, there's nothing wrong with that.  I however, take issue with your notion that stories that aren't character-centric aren't told well.
True, I'm not saying that stories can't be good without good character development, even though it does help, but Matsuno's way of doing it is not a good example of implementing this. The only way to expand the world is to go through all of the logs and look at every single character description which is just so lazy like how FF13 did it, except Tactics Ogre at least did it a little less tedious.

Just so you know I LOVE Tactics Ogre. I'd probably put it on my Top 10 games of all time, but I will NEVER put any praise on the story because that's not what made the game remarkable. There might be a time when I'll grow to be fond of it, but that as of now I couldn't care less about the story in how poorly written it is.
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: January 22, 2014, 07:15:56 AM »

It definitely looks solid, and from the creator of Final Fantasy Tactics there's no doubt it's going to be a successful KickStarter campaign. I'm surprised to see most other staff members are Caucasian rather than Japanese.
That's because according to him all he is doing is the story and world design.
blackthirteen

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: January 22, 2014, 09:41:05 AM »

I saw that as well, I hope it reaches the $1,000,000 mark. Unfortunately, but as expected, the funding seems to have slowed way down.  They haven't hit $400,000 yet. Still, that they've even received as much as they have is excellent and gives me some real warm fuzzy feelings about the future of RPGs on a small scale.  There's still a market, you guys!

I've followed so many KickStarter projects and I can tell funding always slow down but the momentum rise again exponentially during the last days. Considering its promising start, the project can easily reach $2,000,000 or even $3,000,000. There are still 23 days to go ;)

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: January 22, 2014, 10:19:17 AM »

Ooooh, hopeful fot at least getting Hitoshi Sakimoto -- means we'll get a good OST

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: January 22, 2014, 11:53:09 AM »

The only way to expand the world is to go through all of the logs and look at every single character description which is just so lazy like how FF13 did it, except Tactics Ogre at least did it a little less tedious.

Just so you know I LOVE Tactics Ogre. I'd probably put it on my Top 10 games of all time, but I will NEVER put any praise on the story because that's not what made the game remarkable. There might be a time when I'll grow to be fond of it, but that as of now I couldn't care less about the story in how poorly written it is.

Opinions aside, the story in XIII is presented the way it is out of pure necessity. It's something that has turn people off or attracted them for X numbers of reasons, it is what it is and you can take it or leave it since the game gives you the option to just get into the game ignoring everything else or do the opposite.

In a way is more or less similar to Resident Evil.

Can't say anything about Tactics Ogre's story since I've never had the chance (or energy) to get into it.
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: January 23, 2014, 06:46:33 AM »

I've followed so many KickStarter projects and I can tell funding always slow down but the momentum rise again exponentially during the last days. Considering its promising start, the project can easily reach $2,000,000 or even $3,000,000. There are still 23 days to go ;)

I think you might be overly optimistic about the final total. Final two days generally give you about the same (maybe a little more) than the first two days. I haven't been keeping track of the day to day funding, but assuming 10k per day average (which I think is a little high) that would give the project 600k by the last two days, and the final two day push would put it around 900k, probably a little higher from people adding just because the funding was hit.
Ivalice Alliance
Valendia Knights of the Peace

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: January 26, 2014, 10:06:43 AM »

I've played all of Matsuno's games, except Crimson Shroud, and it's just sitting in my 3DS digital library. I've loved all of his stories (Vagrant Story, being the best, in my opinion). If this game makes the $600,000, and we don't get Sakimoto-san as the stretch goal, I'm really not sure if I want to play the game, as he is essential to Matsuno's games.

Currently Playing-The Last Story, The Evil Within, Fable Anniversary
Waiting On-Bloodborne, Final Fantasy Type-O, Final Fantasy XV, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Wonderflick, The Last Guardian, Shenmue III
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: January 26, 2014, 03:30:22 PM »

I've played all of Matsuno's games, except Crimson Shroud, and it's just sitting in my 3DS digital library. I've loved all of his stories (Vagrant Story, being the best, in my opinion). If this game makes the $600,000, and we don't get Sakimoto-san as the stretch goal, I'm really not sure if I want to play the game, as he is essential to Matsuno's games.

Unless the Kickstarter starts picking up more steam, I don't see it reaching $1 million. I share your sentiments, though; if Sakimoto isn't involved then I don't think I would play the game.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: January 27, 2014, 07:11:32 AM »

Unless the Kickstarter starts picking up more steam, I don't see it reaching $1 million. I share your sentiments, though; if Sakimoto isn't involved then I don't think I would play the game.
Yeah odds of it hitting 1 million aren't looking too high right now.

Always have to wonder what exactly it is that makes or breaks a project on Kickstarter. This one I am thinking is suffering from an initial goal that was set higher than it should have been, at least in terms of momentum since there is no stretch goal momentum to speak of and it doesn't look like there will be the possibility of any until the last few days. Also I think primarily relying on Yasumi Matsuno's name might not have been the best advertising strategy, as I don't think a lot of people outside of the genre know it or care (hell I'm knee deep in the genre and my first reaction was who?).
Ivalice Alliance

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: January 27, 2014, 08:12:21 AM »

I'm not sure if anyone brought this up or not, but it looks like someone pulled their $5,000 pledge, because that bracket only has one backer, now. Maybe I was just seeing things, but can someone correct me on this?

Waiting On-Bloodborne, Final Fantasy Type-O, Final Fantasy XV, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Wonderflick, The Last Guardian, Shenmue III
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: January 28, 2014, 06:42:55 AM »

I'm not sure if anyone brought this up or not, but it looks like someone pulled their $5,000 pledge, because that bracket only has one backer, now. Maybe I was just seeing things, but can someone correct me on this?
Saw someone mention that in the comments yesterday, so that is probably true? I haven't been keeping track of the minute details of the campaign though. According to Kicktraq, the daily pledge amount seems to really be falling though. Been under 5k for the last four days, including a negative gain on the day when the 5k pledge was presumably pulled. Actually looking at Kicktraq's current projection, it has it not making the goal. I'm pretty sure that isn't accounting for the last two day rush, so I still think it will get funded. Still interesting to see.
Ivalice Alliance

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: January 28, 2014, 11:58:20 AM »

I just want Sakimoto to provide the soundtrack. If someone else assumes that spot, I'm going to through a hissy-fit, LOL!

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: