Author Topic: Unsung Story: A Failed Kickstarter by People Who Aren't Yasumi Matsuno.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
Re: Unsung Story: A Failed Kickstarter by People Who Aren't Yasumi Matsuno.
« Reply #195 on: August 02, 2017, 02:56:04 PM »
Necroing this purely for the sake of posterity...

http://www.siliconera.com/2017/08/02/little-orbit-now-developing-unsung-story/

...as apparently, somebody didn't get the memo. The story continues (to get unsung (for now...)...)...
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: August 02, 2017, 03:43:00 PM »
*sigh*
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

EmeraldSword

• View Profile
« Reply #197 on: August 02, 2017, 04:09:30 PM »
Wow... I had almost completely forgotten about this game. Lol at the list of games Little Orbit has developed:

As a reminder, some of Little Orbit’s most recent games include Kung Fu Panda: Showdown of Legendary Legends, Monster High: New Ghoul in School, Barbie and Her Sisters: Puppy Rescue, and Adventure Time: Finn and Jake Investigations.

*edit* ...Double lol that Little Orbit has to start from scratch with just the designs from Matsuno. ¯_(ツ)_/¯
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 04:12:46 PM by EmeraldSword »

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: August 02, 2017, 04:22:31 PM »
How much of the original $660k from the KS is Little Orbit getting?
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

EmeraldSword

• View Profile
« Reply #199 on: August 02, 2017, 04:26:30 PM »
From http://kotaku.com/a-timeline-of-unsung-story-one-of-the-biggest-kickstar-1797466457:

Scott tells Unsung Story backers that the company has not received any of the Kickstarter money. He also says that he did not pay “any significant amount” to Playdek. “We felt it was better for all involved if Playdek no longer had any attachment,” he says.

“Lastly, we want to respond to those of you that have reached out asking for refunds,” Scott says. “I can’t know the sheer amount of frustration you have endured. We are here to help, but we aren’t in a position to do that right now. Please know that we are starting from scratch without the money you actually invested, so all of our funding needs to go into the game and delivering this Kickstarter. If we start giving refunds right now, it will simply hurt everyone who backed the project and limit our ability to finish.”

It remains unclear what Playdek and Joel Goodman did with the $660,126 they raised on Kickstarter.

Me thinks they went to Vegas and played Blackjack, Texam Holdem' and Slot machines. Gave all winnings back to the house. :P
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 04:28:10 PM by EmeraldSword »

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: August 02, 2017, 05:28:21 PM »
Kickstarters are dumb.
"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #201 on: August 02, 2017, 05:45:42 PM »
*edit* ...Double lol that Little Orbit has to start from scratch with just the designs from Matsuno. ¯_(ツ)_/¯
Well from what I recall, about the extent of what Playdek had shown to date were a few screenshots using models that could have been put together in a few hours. So it didn't matter what happened, any development team would have been starting from scratch. :p

Kickstarters are dumb.
Not really, I have gotten some great stuff from Kickstarters. This was just a bad Kickstarter with a lot of red flags from the start, which a lot of people missed.

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: August 02, 2017, 05:49:01 PM »
Nah....I'm.starting to think Kickstarters are pretty fucking dumb actually too. Like what kind of security does the investor (us) have whem some sleezeball ups and bails on his project? Kickstarter will laugh us off the web, the project maker is liable but fuck, how do you claim it? Crowdfunding in general is such a terrible gamble because honestly people are fucking shitbags and would spend more time figuring out how to up and run with half a mil then actually create something people will buy.

TASTY!

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #203 on: August 02, 2017, 06:04:17 PM »
Nah....I'm.starting to think Kickstarters are pretty fucking dumb actually too. Like what kind of security does the investor (us) have whem some sleezeball ups and bails on his project? Kickstarter will laugh us off the web, the project maker is liable but fuck, how do you claim it? Crowdfunding in general is such a terrible gamble because honestly people are fucking shitbags and would spend more time figuring out how to up and run with half a mil then actually create something people will buy.
Well thing is, I have backed 136 Kickstarter projects. Of those, one is confirmed as never happeneing (and I got a full refund without having to ask) and there is one other that I expect to never see. Maybe 3-4 that are questionable as ever happening...so I'd consider it a 95% success rate at minimum? And I've been satisfied with most everything I have gotten.

Video game KSers are honestly probably the most risky. Most other successful KSers tend to request money for physical production after the design is done (which greatly decreases the odds of them cutting and running). Video game KSers tend to be before anything is coded, so a lot earlier in the process and more room for everything to go to hell. Plus big video game ones tend to be sold solely on the designer's name....which tends to be a poor gauge of future quality on its own. So yeah, I can agree with skipping video game KSers (although I still back VN translations as they lack a lot of the issues).

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: August 02, 2017, 06:07:31 PM »
Alright, I guess kickstarter projects where you essentially are the investment company are the issue.

TASTY!

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: August 02, 2017, 06:55:51 PM »
I have long been critical of Kickstarter.  When you invest in something there is always risk, of course, but there is also the possibility for reward.  A successful investment will make more than you put in...that is the whole point after all.  But Kickstarter basically puts all the risk on the backers yet doesn't really reward them if it's successful.  Sure they get the final product...usually at the same price (or more!) as if they just waited and bought it normally.  There are often little exclusive extras for Kickstarter backers but most of them are little more than trinkets.  But if a project fails then backers are SoL.  The relationship is way too one-sided.

Despite saying this even in the early days of Kickstarter I proceeded to ignore my own advice and made a horrible, horrible mistake (and no, it wasn't this game) because I was enamored by a certain high tier reward.  I wanted the reward more than the project itself, really.  But the project I backed has been a dismal failure (technically they haven't given up yet, but they're about four years late and have delivered absolutely nothing, not a single milestone) and I'm out a lot of money.  Probably more than anyone in this thread has spent on every Kickstarter project they've backed combined.

The whole thing has been a pretty miserable experience and has soured me on Kickstarter even more than I already was.  Not surprisingly I haven't backed a project since, and I doubt I ever will.

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #206 on: August 02, 2017, 07:36:32 PM »
Despite saying this even in the early days of Kickstarter I proceeded to ignore my own advice and made a horrible, horrible mistake (and no, it wasn't this game) because I was enamored by a certain high tier reward.  I wanted the reward more than the project itself, really.  But the project I backed has been a dismal failure (technically they haven't given up yet, but they're about four years late and have delivered absolutely nothing, not a single milestone) and I'm out a lot of money.  Probably more than anyone in this thread has spent on every Kickstarter project they've backed combined.
Sorry to hear about your bad experience. I'm going to take a wild guess and say it was Project Phoenix? Have you tried to get a refund? My gut is that it probably wouldn't work, but I feel like it has to be asked all the same.

As a quibble though (because I like to quibble), I doubt it was more than I have spent on every KS I have backed though as my 15 highest pledges combined breaks the max pledge amount for a single pledge (or at least what it was 4 years ago). >.>

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: August 02, 2017, 07:47:21 PM »
I have a 100% success rate on KS up to now.

I'm pretty sure it won't change because right now, my 3 active ones are DOS2, PoE2 and Nekopara OVA.

As said above, you have to be careful and use your judgement.
A couple of my personal red flags would be:
- Product sounds too good to be true
- Product defies current science
- Many big names
- Big name that usually does diddly squat as far as development (ex: Keiji Inafune)
- Asks for way too little money compared to what the product would usually require
- Lengthy wait period before product is completed but no development schedule available

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: August 02, 2017, 08:22:16 PM »
Sorry to hear about your bad experience. I'm going to take a wild guess and say it was Project Phoenix? Have you tried to get a refund? My gut is that it probably wouldn't work, but I feel like it has to be asked all the same.

Yeah it was Project Phoenix.  Entrepreneur level, which promised that Nobuo Uematsu himself would compose music for a character you designed.  That's what I really wanted...

I still occasionally visit the project's forums and it's extremely depressing.  The devs stopped posted there entirely so it's pretty much a ghost town.  The only activity is the occasional person bitching or demanding their money back.  I haven't heard of anyone actually getting their money back.

As a quibble though (because I like to quibble), I doubt it was more than I have spent on every KS I have backed though as my 15 highest pledges combined breaks the max pledge amount for a single pledge (or at least what it was 4 years ago). >.>

OK, point taken.  From reading the posts here I had assumed most people were backing at more sensible levels ;)

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: August 02, 2017, 08:54:31 PM »
Admittedly, I've yet to put down even a single red cent on even one KS or IndieGoGo project. Almost entirely because I don't like the idea of having to put my money and personal information out onto the Interwebs where anyone who's committed to it can get access to those things.

That said, if I had to point to one or two learning curve KSers, my finger would be aimed squarely at Vic Ireland's Million Dollar Game Class of Heroes 2, and Doublefine's Massive Chalice (the latter sold me on their pageantry and might have even coaxed money out of me had I not been so cheap and poor at the time, and the former was just a really good example of a bad KS).
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.