Author Topic: Unsung Story: A Failed Kickstarter by People Who Aren't Yasumi Matsuno.

Ranadiel

• View Profile
Re: Unsung Story: A Failed Kickstarter by People Who Aren't Yasumi Matsuno.
« Reply #210 on: August 02, 2017, 08:57:11 PM »
OK, point taken.  From reading the posts here I had assumed most people were backing at more sensible levels ;)
Yeah no, I've done more than a couple of vanity tiers over the years. XP

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: August 02, 2017, 09:05:30 PM »
Yeah, I've only backed one Kickstarter, Which was Yooka-Laylee, and it was mostly so I could get the soundtrack & artbook. So far that's been the only thing I was satisfied by. But after seeing this, I guess I should at least be glad I got anything. A playable hot mess is better than nothing at all, and the dev is at least trying to fix the lousy camera and controls...now if only they could redesign the levels from scratch, maybe we'd have a decent game here...guess we'll see from these guys how well that'd turn out...

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Chronix112

• Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi
  • Unlimited Insomniac Works
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: August 03, 2017, 12:03:03 AM »
I have no problem with Kickstarter. There are a lot of good games that came through Kickstarter that would not have been made if it was not for the program. You just got to be smart about what you back  as Annubis has mentioned.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: August 03, 2017, 09:17:59 AM »
Sorry to hear about your bad experience. I'm going to take a wild guess and say it was Project Phoenix? Have you tried to get a refund? My gut is that it probably wouldn't work, but I feel like it has to be asked all the same.

Yeah it was Project Phoenix.  Entrepreneur level, which promised that Nobuo Uematsu himself would compose music for a character you designed.  That's what I really wanted...

TBF, such a thing would be worth a shot, if you had the disposable income lying about.  Still.  Yikes.

Funny, I had forgotten all about this until yesterday, when someone on Final Fantasy Radio brought it up.

What exactly do you think is happening with projects like this, where everything just disappears?  How can something like Stardew Valley, made entirely by one man over 4 years, come out and be great, but these titles literally go nowhere?
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: August 03, 2017, 09:37:01 AM »
What exactly do you think is happening with projects like this, where everything just disappears?  How can something like Stardew Valley, made entirely by one man over 4 years, come out and be great, but these titles literally go nowhere?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcRNpZtuSz4

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: August 03, 2017, 09:40:52 AM »
Sorry to hear about your bad experience. I'm going to take a wild guess and say it was Project Phoenix? Have you tried to get a refund? My gut is that it probably wouldn't work, but I feel like it has to be asked all the same.

Yeah it was Project Phoenix.  Entrepreneur level, which promised that Nobuo Uematsu himself would compose music for a character you designed.  That's what I really wanted...

TBF, such a thing would be worth a shot, if you had the disposable income lying about.  Still.  Yikes.

Funny, I had forgotten all about this until yesterday, when someone on Final Fantasy Radio brought it up.

Probably because they keep putting the Cart before the Horse in terms of KS campaigns. Rarely, do you see a campaign that actually has their shit together when they first post their project, and even then they generally let their backer rewards bloat the game over time and money budgets anyways.

If you've ever looked at sites like The Cutting Room Floor or other places that describe buried code and cut content in video game releases, you'll notice that developers often have these wonderful ideas that just end up getting cut or buried because they just couldn't make it work in a timely or efficient manner, or without breaking something more important, or was a late cut because they eventually asked the question "Did we really need this anyways? Or would the game flow better without it?".

Meanwhile, one person, with years of spare time and a dedication to craft what s/he wants to make, with no other pressures or demands made upon them or their project, can eventually put together a solid game. The budget is their own money, the audience is primarily the developer with like-minded gamers being secondary, the release date is whenever the hell they feel satisfied with the end product, and hey, if it turns out to be a blockbuster, good for them.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #216 on: August 03, 2017, 10:51:18 AM »
Like others have said, KS is ultimately a gamble. While I do feel for the people who feel like they were hoodwinked when this trend started (I, too, donated to the Mighty No. 9 KS, though I wasn't as mad about that one as a lot of other people seemed to be- discussion of why that is would probably take a whole thread on its own), at this point I really hope people have learned their lesson and expect nothing out of a KS if they choose to donate to one. I still think the idea behind it is fine- it's still a place where game ideas that probably would've been killed by publishers because of not being profitable/safe enough can thrive.

One thing I really gotta say about KS though, is a lot of the people I saw get ridiculously mad at KS were also the same sort of people that would write pages of rants about publishers being cynical bean counters. To me it really says that if any of these gamers were in a publisher's position they'd become pretty much exactly what they hate.

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #217 on: August 03, 2017, 07:18:44 PM »

Depends on the KSer as you'll rarely find two where they failed in the exact same manner.

So Unsung Story, it seems as though they had to pillage the coffers from Unsung Story to stay alive as a company by using for other games. So they saved themselves in the short term expecting the revenue from their new releases to restore the coffers...and I can only assume that failed.

Project Phoenix, the developers claim (and I have no reason to doubt them) that the money is mostly untouched and they have just been delayed by a series of bad decisions that effectively have just completely destroyed their original time table and probably will create long term cascading issues if they can ever right the ship.

Just had a project (Project Resurgence) today that announced it was going belly up. They tried to make the game, were continually releasing demos as they made progress...but they heavily underestimated how long it would take, so they've been trying to get a publisher for months, but they failed and the company is now insolvent despite the fact that they had been paying its programmers minimum wage for a long time in order to stretch out their funds as long as possible. This one is just sad to me because they tried, no one will be happy with this resolution, and there is no recovering money from an insolvent company.

Incidentally, I have better luck with board games than video games (excluding VN translations) on KS.

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: August 03, 2017, 07:52:13 PM »
Let this be a lesson to all you so and so's that sit there and say "oh I can make a game better than this piece of shit!". People have tried...stick to your dayjobs.

TASTY!

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: August 07, 2017, 03:02:33 PM »
Unless you're the guy who made Stardew Valley.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons