Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2014, 08:31:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332827 Posts in 13638 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  FFXII-like RPGs
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: FFXII-like RPGs  (Read 1633 times)
Vencoris

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: January 17, 2014, 10:39:25 PM »

I'll get this right out there, my favorite numbered Final Fantasy game is XII.

Some of the characters and plot points may have been shoehorned in, but I feel the environments and mechanics are brilliant.
It follows a MMO-inspired style, with real time party combat, aggro management, large ares and lots of content that crisscrosses back and forth so the entire world feels useful.

Based on the polarized reception and lack of comparable games mentioned in those inevitable arguments I had always though this was an isolated experiment, until I played Xenoblade for the first time today (got it on black friday for $24 on a whim for my WiiU).

I'm loving this as much as I did FFXII (though it does suffer from the lack of Gambits, ways to program your party's actions, or at least I haven't exposed them yet if they are there), and I'm wondering what else I've missed that has this same feel to it.

Are there any similar RPGs out there that are worth trying?

Generally I'm looking for the following features:
Real-time party battles with movement/positioning
Aggro management
Well-developed areas worth exploring and revisiting

On a side note, why have I never seen a comparison of FFXII and Xenoblade?  I would think the fervor that FFXII's combat system causes would carry over at least somewhat to Xenoblade as well since they are so similar.
DrGonzo

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 01:35:03 AM »

Any of the Tales games sort of borrow the same kind of Real-time combat though the battles transition into separate battles unlike in FF12 where you could fight any monster on sight in an open area. The next one coming out in 2015 called Tales of Zestiria is supposed to be just like FF12 only with the combat of the Tales series so be on the look out for that when in comes out.

Another would probably be Ni No Kuni to some extent, with a mix of Pokemon since you're using familiars as your pocket fighters to fight off monsters. Xenoblade Chronicles is a definite FF12-type of game, although the one thing it lacks is the mechanic where you could script your AI to do what type of attack which would've been great for that game. Plus, any MMO fits pretty well to FF12's scenerio but if you're just looking for a singleplayer type of experience those are the ones that are closest to 12.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 02:17:42 AM »

Any of the Tales games sort of borrow the same kind of Real-time combat though the battles transition into separate battles unlike in FF12 where you could fight any monster on sight in an open area. The next one coming out in 2015 called Tales of Zestiria is supposed to be just like FF12 only with the combat of the Tales series so be on the look out for that when in comes out.

Say wha?  Tales combat isn't anything even remotely like FFXII.  About the only thing they even have in common is the real-time thing, though I would argue that's not even common since FFXII can be played in a more pause-and-play way and Tales most certainly cannot.  And if real-time is the only thing you're looking at there are bajillions of real-time RPGs, many of which much closer to FFXII than Tales (even without being particularly close to it...).

Honestly, outside of FFXII and Xenoblade about the only thing I can think of is Dragon Age which can be played sort of the same way, but emphasizes pause and play more.  There is a fully scriptable AI, though.

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2014, 02:23:17 AM »

Desert Bus.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Guttend

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2014, 04:49:22 AM »

Zenonia?

DrGonzo

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2014, 02:42:29 PM »

Say wha?  Tales combat isn't anything even remotely like FFXII.
I was mostly comparing them from their real-time combat scenerios. The new one coming out called Zestiria is supposed to be just like FF12 though.
Vencoris

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2014, 06:01:11 PM »

Honestly, outside of FFXII and Xenoblade about the only thing I can think of is Dragon Age which can be played sort of the same way, but emphasizes pause and play more.  There is a fully scriptable AI, though.

Actually Dragon Age does meet many of my requirements, but for some reason slipped my mind (already have it).

This style may be tough to find due to the ambitious nature of the game needed to pull it off.  So it's restricted to those rare games with a large budget and the willingness to break convention.
Zendervai

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2014, 07:10:18 PM »

There's always White Knight Chronicles.
Chronix112
Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi

The Pessimistic One

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2014, 08:55:28 PM »

Magna Carta 2
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2014, 07:21:17 AM »

.....oh god right that is a thing. If you plan on playing this, just get 2 as it has the entirety of 1 on the disk with some play tweaks as well.
Klyde Chroma
Lvl. 7 Fruity Ninja and Dincrest groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2014, 06:50:39 PM »

I only played WKC briefly to try it out but I remember my very first impression of the battle system was that of a poor mans Xenoblade.

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2014, 07:11:25 PM »

I only played WKC briefly to try it out but I remember my very first impression of the battle system was that of a poor mans Xenoblade.
It actually gets a whole lot better, especially in 2.

TASTY!
ULTROS!
People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Contributing Editor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2014, 04:59:46 AM »

Infinite Undiscovery?

I haven't played it but the battle system looks like FFXII's.

"I feel ugly, I need a hard drink" - Maribel of Dragon Quest VII

Vaporeon

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2014, 07:57:53 AM »

Dragon Age: Origins might fit the bill. The combat is similar, but the levels aren't nearly as big or open as FFXII or Xenoblade. If you get it, make sure to get the Ultimate Edition since it comes with all the DLC.
anonypc

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2014, 01:05:41 AM »

I think you've already stated most (DA, xenoblade), It's hard to think of anything remotely close.

Maybe the Last Remnant?

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: