Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 22, 2014, 03:03:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341288 Posts in 13948 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Obligatory 2014 Thread: Your Year
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Obligatory 2014 Thread: Your Year  (Read 137 times)
Klyde Chroma
LVL 12. Obsessive Compulsive Fruity Assassin

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: December 21, 2014, 07:43:48 AM »

Alrightee, so we had one of these last year and I liked it.

Cutting right the chase, the format.

1. IT IS MY CONSOLE AND I WILL PLAY WHAT I WANT TO! (Personal "GOTY" even if it didn't come out this year)

2. PERSONAL GOTY (that actually came out this year)

3. BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT (we all make mistakes right?)

And so without further adieu, here is mine.

1. This was the toughest category for me for sure. I played a whole lot of "awesome" this year. In fact the discovery of FPS love made Borderlands 2 a contender. If you told me last year I'd ever consider Borderlands 2 as my personal "GOTY" I'd have laughed.

But here at the end of the year something a wee bit more classical blew everything else out of the water for me. Lost Odyssey totally wowed me in just about every way but ultimately it was the writing that sealed the deal. Everything that was wrong with Lost Odyssey was a complete after-thought to me in wake of the writing, soundtrack, dungeons and level of difficulty the game presented. This title was, without a doubt, not just my personal "GOTY" but easily within my top 5 ever right up with Chrono Trigger and FF6.

Honorable Mentions: Shadow Hearts, Tales of Xillia 2, Diablo 3, Borderlands 2, Child of Light

2. Diablo 3 Reaper of Souls educated me. It taught me about the value of loot, how good it feels to kill demons and also that I can really fall in love with a western RPG. I am playing this now and I CANNOT stop. It has yielded the longest play sessions I have managed it my adult game life. Anything that can compel to play upward of around 15 hours within 2-3 days deserves this spot.

Honorable Mentions: Tales of Xillia 2, Child of Light

3. My biggest disappointment has to be Atelier Escha and Logy. While it nailed compulsive crafting gameplay, it left me pretty bored in every other respect. What makes it the big let-down of the year though was the eluding to a greater differential in gameplay with the selection of Logy as the MC, that proved to be a TOTAL LIE!! Adding insult to injury was the fact that I really felt most the whole experience was a step down from last years Ayesha.

I am not saying Escha and Logy was bad. In fact it certainly wasn't the worst thing I played this year by any measure. However I think I had my expectations raised a bit too much for this one.

That is it for me folks. Your turn.

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.

dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2014, 08:47:51 AM »

Tales of Xillia - every category...by default. It's the only game I played this year.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 12:36:58 PM by dalucifer0 » Logged
Annubis

ee yan~☆

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2014, 09:25:33 AM »

1) I'm going to say something really weird here and say Dungeons and Dragons Online (ddo)
I've been playing this MMORPG on and off with friends for a while and the updates that came out this year were simply amazing. It's rare for an 8-year-old MMO to toss out ALL of it's mechanics (D&D 3rd edition mostly) and start from scratch to end up with a completely new system that is incredibly better AND have the players also be happy about the change. A very gutsy move that really paid off.
Disclaimer: I have spent around 30$ on the game by now so my enjoyment does factor microtransactions (most of the $ being the expansions)

Honorable mention: LoL... I'm still playing that darn thing a lot.

2) Saints Row IV (technically came out in 2013, but I waited for GOTC which is 2014)
God damn this game is incredible. This serie has fully mastered the art of simply keeping the fun in a game and removing everything else.
The superpowers steal the show completely.
The choice of music is also divine for anyone that likes techno.

Honorable mention: Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius (which will receive its last update early 2015! woohoo) & Divinity Original Sin

3) The Banner Saga
While the storytelling is good, I can't say the same about much of the rest. The system is archaic and there are way too many useless parameters. The amount of people under you for example is a huge mechanic and yet it does not serve you at all. Other than getting the happiness achievement, you are hencefort much better served to keep your money and let them starve. Oh yeah, you don't have money either, you need to pay for food with XP... The choices you make aren't choices at all. To make a choice you need long term consequences which aren't here at all. You thus just go on a wiki and find the good answer to every question. Again, there is ZERO consequence to anything other than characters dying which is usually for the stupidest reasons.

Honorable mention: Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky (I'm still hopeful that SC is better though)

---

The lack of JRPG is sad, but most of the ones I played were from 2013 and the Xillia games are like cold pizza, not bad but still far from anything truly delectable. I do need to play Ar Nosurge still though.
I also haven't touched DA:I. Again, waiting for a GOTY/Complete edition.

And so without further adieu, here is mine.

Without further goodbye? Oh wait, further 'ado' =P
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 09:46:13 AM by Annubis » Logged
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2014, 05:00:13 PM »

This has been an odd year for me...

The game I have overwhelmingly played the most (like 10x as much time in as everything else combined...) would be KanColle.  But I'm still not completely convinced that it's actually a good game...sure it does some things better than a lot of similar style games, and the whole fan community around the game is pretty interesting...but part of that is probably just addiction.

The game I've put the next most time in is probably Love Live School Idol Festival.  Which as I've said before is actually a pretty good rhythm game if you can get past the surrounding free-to-play systems.  I still think the monetization setup is complete BS but my response to that is to simply not spend a cent on the game.  It's still quite playable that way even if I'll never be a top player.

Still, a browser game an a mobile game...I've become everything I ever hated.

My favorite 'real' game from the last year would probably be Danganronpa.  Wait, that's a VN, there are probably some people who wouldn't call it a real game either.  Oh well.

Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2014, 05:18:59 PM »

I can safely say my biggest disappointment is Destiny. Great gameplay, addictive grind, but that's it. Everything Bungie did to this game either pissed off everyone or pissed off non-pvp players. They seriously couldn't have fucked up more, even if they had simply shut off the servers on the dlc release day and said we fucked up, game over. New players who didn't own the dlc got everything but the raid specific weapons in terms of items, but lost access to one of their rightfully accessible game modes at least once every 6 weeks. Meanwhile veterans were told everything they did had to be redone to make their special gear worth a damn again. It's amazing how fucked up this game is getting and it's only month 4.

TASTY!
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2014, 07:37:44 PM »

2014 as a whole was a lot of exhausting bullshit.

~~

1. Suikoden 3 and Eschatos.

2. Crimzon Clover: World Ignition - I think this is from 2013, but 2014 was the US release so wevz. All around fantastic, with my only issue being that it might be a little TOO hard. Also that it got me interested in Japanese doujin games in general, which... well, I talk about it below.

3. Tempted to say TitS, although that's just the US version of a game from like whenever.

Freedom Planet - Talked about this elsewhere, but the levels just keep going on and on and don't really do anything interesting. Also endless cutscenes. It's not really bad, it just has this 90s shareware vibe to it.

Valkyria - More endless cutscenes! Also getting A-ranks is entirely based on route memorization. I don't dislike it by any means, it's just not something I want to spend time on.

Astebreed's just a goddamn mess and I have no idea why it's being well received by the shmup community, Gigantic Army had boring level designs and bullet spongey bosses.

Gunhound - Not actually playable on a keyboard, because you can't remap the keys. NEAT!

And in terms of older stuff that I played for the first time in 2014, Vesperia went a long way towards killing my interest in RPGs.

Uh... I think Banished is the only 2014 game I got that I've yet to play.
« Last Edit: Today at 11:13:21 AM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

glassjawsh
insolent cur

corn is no place for a mighty warrior

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2014, 08:33:10 PM »

1) Mass Effect 2, I went through this again on my PS3 (having previously beaten it on the 360) with all of the DLC (I mailed my PS3 to my friend in Baltimore so he could play the Last of Us, so I made him download all the ME DLC as "payment.  On my nickel of course).  This and ME 3 are still the only 2 WRPGs I've ever really been able to stomach. 

Honorbale Mention: Lunar 2: EBC (restored my faith in RPGs when I really needed it), FFXII (I dumped almost 120 hours into this thing and it reinforced my belief that, if I want to keep my job and my girlfriend, I should never play a full fledged MMO), Ys Memories of Celceta (all Ys games should always be mentioned every year, always.  They are that fun to play).

2) Lightning Returns, other than XIII-2 being a bit of a garbled mess, I've absolutely adored the XIII trilogy.  I know it's popular to hate on, but there are some of us who had a lot of fun with these games. 

Honorable Mention: Freedom Wars (only played about 12 hours of it though)

3) Xenoblade Chronicles, I REALLLLLY tried folks.  I wanted to love this game so badly.  And yes, maybe I am too stuck on my desire to play RPGs that unfold in the most linear fashion possible (I want to play a book, really). But Jesus Christ being given a hundred sidequests within the first few hours of gameplay is asinine and completely overwhelming.

Honorable Mention: the original .hack series (what a waste... especially when you consider how interesting the idea is and how great of an anime Sign was), Legend of Mana (I hated this game so much I sold it within hours of opening it for the first time. and I bought it c. 2002)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 08:36:05 PM by glassjawsh » Logged

Draak

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2014, 08:35:35 PM »

1) Tie between Shadowrun: Dragonfall DC and Morrowind.

2) Shadowrun: Dragonfall DC

3) Maybe Dragon Age Inquisition? Not a proper disappointment since I was expecting a prettified DA2 (which I'm not a fan of) and that's exactly what it was.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 08:42:14 PM by Draak » Logged
mecharobot

Thunder of the dogs! INDIGNATION

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2014, 08:47:40 PM »

I don't really have any hits this year, just games that either were playable or were not. I also did not play a single actually "new" game this year. Well, not a new RPG that is. Dynasty Warriors Gundam Reborn and Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes were okayish enough to spend time with, but I wouldn't go hyping those around.

-Probably the personal favorites this year go to Rorona Plus and Skyrim. With Rorona it was great to see everything updated to make the game actually playable, but I had already done everything before and the extra scenario didn't quite add as much as I hoped it did. Skyrim was a soulless buggy mess, but its addictiviness can't be denied. It's almost so bad it's good, but supposedly also an AAA game, so I can't really sort my feelings towards it.

Other games I liked more than I didn't:
Ys Seven, Torchlight II, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Half-Minute Hero: Super Mega Neo Climax Ultimate Boy, Super Robot Wars: Original Generation (Ryusei route), Valkyria Chronicles II

-The most disappointing game was Tales of Symphonia. I was kind of looking towards a hammy classic JRPG experience and in some ways that is what I got, but this game was somehow filled with way too much disparency in both the story and aesthetic. Also its systems, while not bad, have probably not aged in the best of ways when I've played some of the more modern ARPG offering on the JRPG fronts.

Runner ups:
Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII, Diablo II: Lord of Destruction

Overall, I think it's about time I start switching to new gen gaming or maybe just not play as much anymore. The games that resonate with me are a rare breed and I don't expect this to change any time soon.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2014, 09:46:41 PM »

I still haven't got around to put time into The Evil Within. And I'm sure that one is my personal pick for this year.

For new releases outside of that one, I got Lightning Returns, Dark Souls II, P.T. and MGSV: Ground Zeroes. Slow year but not bad if you ask me.

2) Lightning Returns, other than XIII-2 being a bit of a garbled mess, I've absolutely adored the XIII trilogy.  I know it's popular to hate on, but there are some of us who had a lot of fun with these games.

XIII-2 was the most fun I had with FF since... IX (and X-2's battle system if that counts).

The story in the sequels (for XIII) were much more enjoyable and dynamic than the one in XIII for me, which in retrospective it works more as a prologue with the novels.

A shame the series ended up being overhyped and overhated. Then again, that's what happen when your company manages the IPs of Squaresoft.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: