Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 22, 2015, 03:13:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Have a great 2015 from all of us at RPGfan. :)
355453 Posts in 14447 Topics by 2259 Members
Latest Member: hubrisnxs
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Obligatory 2014 Thread: Your Year
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Obligatory 2014 Thread: Your Year  (Read 1877 times)
Monsoon
Electric Mayhem
Contributing Editor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2014, 01:46:32 AM »

Favorite game I played this year: XenoBlade Chronicles
Runner-up: The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

I fuckin' adore XenoBlade Chronicles.  This is a clear merger of Japanese and western RPG traditions, with great characters, story, and action-packed combat.  By far the most beautiful game on the Wii, in both audio and visuals.  I haven't finished XenoBlade yet (taking a break from playing it right now, actually), but I want to try and beat it in the next few days.  I'm about to fight Egil.  

Favorite 2014 game I played this year: Dragon Age: Inquisition
Runner-up: Bravely Default

Dragon Age: Inquisition seemed too big.  Its environments were vast and richly detailed, and I didn't even step into one of them (the Hissing Wastes), but the ten or eleven I did check out in detail were awesome.  The dialog, scenarios, and character interactions were awesome.  One mid-game plot point still haunts me, and it kinda makes me want to create a new world state and a new Inquisitor just to try going the other way on it.  It's my favorite BioWare game since Mass Effect 2, and maybe my favorite BioWare game ever.  

Most disappointing game I played this year: Batman: Arkham City
Runner-up: Persona 4 Arena Ultimax

Yeah, I played a lot of checklisty action RPGs and open-world games this year.  Arkham City was really pretty, and sometimes it was really cool, but several basics of gameplay (brawling, checking walls for clues, gliding) didn't really do it for me.  Arkham City didn't wow me with its scale like the environments of XenoBlade or Dragon Age, and the smaller details didn't impress me much either.  When Arkham City is good, it's great (the boss fight in the police station, predator scenarios, scenes with Harley and Joker).  But the game seems small and short compared to its peers, and its highs don't match the highs of Arkham Asylum.  
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 01:48:03 AM by Monsoon » Logged

Yoda
Fear is the Mind Killer

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2014, 05:24:32 PM »

My gaming has been light and erratic. Didn't finish much

1) My personal game of the year is the jackbox games bundle available on the new platforms and pc. I started talking about it in the general games forum but since then  they added (through a new bundle) more games and questions. Those games are ridiculously fun group games. Look them up

For single player it's Dark Souls 2. I played a ton of it and enjoyed the asymmetrical multiplayer. I need to get back to Dark Souls 1.

2) Game of the year has to be Dragon Age Inquisition. I love everything. The lore, the maps, the detail within them, the sidequests, the story, and the dialog are great.

3) Biggest disappointment: Yet again buying tons of games I would barely have the time for.  I bought Smash for Wii-U and haven't opened it yet. It's not that I don't like Smash it's just that my house isn't the hangout place for gamers. We always go to some other places.

GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2015, 08:18:44 PM »

Game of the Year is definitely Dragon Age: Inquisition.
Best game not released in 2014 , but played, was A Link Between Worlds. I loved that game.
I don't really keep track of these things, so i can't really think of much else I played.

Playing: DA: Inquisition
Reading: The Backyard Parables
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2015, 10:50:46 PM »

Finished my 1st playthrough of The Evil Within a few days ago. And yes, like I said before, this is my Game of the Year for 2014.

To not make this post long. TEW is a love letter to the horror genre and is without a doubt the Survival Horror game the genre needed for years. I hope TEW influences the genre because it does so much stuff right that for over 8 to 10 years most of the people working on the genre seemingly forgot about.

Lastly, shout outs to the artists and sound designers. They did a fantastic job.

3. Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - I know I'm very alone in this opinion, but I really liked FFXIII and FFXIII-2 and couldn't stand Lightning Returns. The stat-building system was annoying and made it easy to get stuck, the costume system was kind of fun, but I didn't really like many of the costumes. The story was lackluster until the last few hours, and then the last twist in the final moments was eye-rolling levels of dumb.

At least you have some fun out of LR unlike the people that didn't played it and were busy being smartasses on blogs and forums (seriously that shit got old by the time XIII-2 came out).

Don't really get what's so eye-rolling about the ending for you, but whatever, I don't really care either way.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 10:11:52 AM by Yggdrasil » Logged
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2015, 08:14:59 AM »

My biggest disappointment of 2014 was the complete and utter lack of SMTxFE beyond a vague "Still not canceled" update during E3.

Best game was probably Kid Icarus: Uprising since I really didn't play anything really new or not FE beyond it, Super Mario 3D Land, Yumi's Odd Odyssey, Bravely Default (which was somewhat disappointing), The Third Birthday (which was solely to listen to Aya Brea's moans as her China Dress and Lightning Costume exploded off her curvy body), Super Smash Bros. 4 3DS (good, but needs the bells and whistles that 4 Wii U has) and a bunch of miscellaneous crap (most of which I either didn't finish or didn't start last year or had played through in previous years).

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2015, 10:15:22 AM »

Whoops wrong thread.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 11:34:30 AM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Dincrest
Analogy spouting
RPGFan Editor

I approve of this nonsense!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2015, 03:13:46 PM »

All here: http://www.rpgfan.com/features/go2014/Neal.html

I have nothing funny to say.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2015, 07:38:12 PM »

Minor quibble, but Love Live is on Android too (that's actually what I've been playing it on).  You talk about it like it's iOS-only.

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: