Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 22, 2014, 07:51:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341240 Posts in 13945 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Home theater sound
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Home theater sound  (Read 152 times)
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« on: November 30, 2014, 01:26:25 PM »

So about 2 years ago I dropped some nice coin on a very nice 50" sony tv. Picture is fantastic and I love it. Problem is... speakers on TVs are passable but when I wanna crank music or movies/games it just doesn't cut it. I don't want to blow my windows out and I'm more interested in good range than blaring audio.

I see there's a lot of things like soundbars and such out there. In fact, my brother has a soundbar on his tv and I actually was fooled, I thought he had surround sound. The thing is his device was made specifically for his tv and in fact it fits right under the tv and snaps in place.

Does anyone have any exeperiece in home audio?

With the holiday sales I was gonna jump on something.
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2014, 03:31:15 PM »

I've had a Bose Lifestyle 50 for something like 10 years now, and I love it.  I bought it from a Bose store, refurbished, and I still spent a bunch on it.  But it's great, and I'd happily recommend one of their systems.  The CD player stopped working really well at some point, but we didn't really use that much anyway.  (Besides, this particular system is discontinued now, and I think the newer models have a hard drive for MP3s instead.)

Last I knew, it was popular to hate on Bose, but I am a fan.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2014, 06:58:16 PM »

http://www.sonos.com/shop/products/playbar

Get this, never look back.

Edit: Allow me to elaborate a bit. This thing is a beast. It will cover your entire room in serious audio deliciousness (just the playbar, nevermind additional speakers). But the real kick is the sonos app you can install on your phones and tablets and computers. It will allow you to control the playbar and, if you so decide in the future, any additional sonos speakers or components you add to it. You can use the system as the audio output from your tv, run any music you have on your phone or computer through it, or assign a different source to each individual speaker as you desire. I'm not big on extreme audio systems but Sonos is worlds apart from stuff I've installed in the past. It's really amazing, and it's totally worth the hefty price tag. I've put these playbars and other sonos components in many installations over the last 2 years, and no one I've done these for has had a bad thing to say about them. Best part is the company will answer your phone call for troubleshooting almost anytime, they're really helpful.

I say it again, look into Sonos, never look back. Worth every penny.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 07:12:03 PM by Agent D. » Logged

TASTY!
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2014, 09:39:21 PM »

I don't mind the price tag, but I don't like that it doesn't have a sub... hows the low end on this thing?
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2014, 08:18:38 AM »

I'm pretty sure no sound bar has an actual sub to it unless it comes as a packaged extra (seperate) unit. The reason most people get sound bars is because it's a 1 piece solution to surround sound (virtual surround sound, actually), so the low end is done through the unit as well. In any case though,the low end response in the sonos bar is really good.

To give you an idea, the playbar has 6 mid range woofers and 3 tweeters (that's 9 seperate speakers) and 3 seperate amps. In a medium sized room, say an average living room in an apartment, the playbar will more than adequately fill the entire room with audio. Since it connects via optical out from the tv, you don't need a messy tuner system to connect each source to it, amd the playbar operates as its own source at your choosing through its app. No other soundbar offers that ( that I know of anyway).

Look man, I'm a cheapass. I would never buy an expensive sound system for that esoteric sound feel that the average guy wouldn't ever hear anyway. But the sonos playbar is fucking impressive and if I had 700 bucks to blow, I'd gladly drop it on that, it's that cool. Plus, any time your bring a girl over she can get all impressed when you switch music just by tapping your phone.

TASTY!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: