Author Topic: Completion List 2014

Klyde Chroma

• LVL. 99 - Midnight Crusader
    • View Profile
Re: Completion List 2014
« Reply #75 on: December 28, 2014, 07:15:38 PM »
I wish Eternal Eden would get released on PSN. I have it but my PC, in recent months, doesn't really get used for much other than talking to you guys. It is at the point where even hitting enter to move to the next line in a message body causes temporary lock-up.

Also, I am totally in agreement about Dust's art style, or namely character design. Disturbed me too. In fact it was really the only thing about the game I didn't love. It looked and ran beautiful but I have a bit of an aversion to sentient animal deal to begin with.
I am more a battlefield than a Ninja.

mecharobot

• Trombe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 29, 2014, 03:25:55 AM »
Well, here are the RPGs:

Valkyria Chronicles II - (a lighthearted successor, but overall very playable, mostly hurt by the terrible upgrade system and post game grind)

Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII - (simple enough to play, but doesn't have much soul to speak of and optional content is a joke of unimaginative repetitiveness)

Atelier Iris 2: The Azoth of Destiny - (a very easy and very simple entry of the long running series with relatively charming PS2 sprites, nothing remarkable, but remarkably playable)

Atelier Rorona Plus: The Alchemist of Arland - (a solid upgrade to vanilla Rorona that doesn't miss any of charm of the original, but on the other hand doesn't really add much)

Dragon Warrior II - (a super hardcore old school JRPG that is just hard outside player control, good for non-linear exploration, though)

Ys Seven - (it's a bit broken with super skills, character switch and healing items, but still fast paced gameplay goodness)

Torchlight II - (a fantastic Diablo clone, with excellent modding options, but short main campaign)

Diablo II + Lord of Destruction - (I think this game has not aged as well as it should have, especially when you play single player and notice just how long it takes to play in an interesting way)

Tales of Symphonia - (this game had its great moments, but overall I did not really expect it to be a clusterf*ck of both anime cliches and their choppy deconstructions)

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - (a game that will consume your soul with its vastness, but ultimately a hollow payoff)

Diablo III - (a critized entry, mostly with good justification, but I think that many of the changes in gameplay elements were both needed and welcome)

Hyperdimension Neptunia - (bwahahaa, actually it was not funny at all, but this vanilla version had pretty much everything wrong with it, but it was not as fanservicey as I thought)

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night - (a gloriously awesome concept of awesomeness, but somewhat broken and reminded me that I'm rusty with platforming)

Half-Minute Hero: Super Mega Neo Climax Ultimate Boy - (funniest game of the year, the developers clearly knew their RPG cliches, a bit too many in-between-screens though)

Super Robot Wars: Original Generation - (actually my first SRW game, very awesome concept of the OG mecha universe, only played Ryusei route, will do more of this)

Overall, not a bad year in terms of numbers, but I once again ended up playing mostly random things instead of the ones that are actually in my backlog. I wanted to do a bit more progress on Atelier, but two games complete a year is pretty good. I also have a long term goal of beating Dragon Quest I-IX, which is going pretty slow with one game per year, but I'll get there. My regrets are that I still could not get into playing Megaten/Persona and that Neptunia (and possibly Tales of) doesn't quite seem to resonate with me from a concept standpoint, although I didn't give it that good odds to begin with. Surprise of the year was playing a lot of loot based western ARPGs, which I've noticed are fairly good for wasting life away.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 03:33:52 AM by mecharobot »

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 29, 2014, 03:36:12 AM »
Also, I am totally in agreement about Dust's art style, or namely character design. Disturbed me too. In fact it was really the only thing about the game I didn't love. It looked and ran beautiful but I have a bit of an aversion to sentient animal deal to begin with.

Yeah, the environments are quite nice, it's mainly the character designs that bothered me. The fact that the artist draws in a style every furry on the internet seems to use made it really hard to not associate it with that. On a more objective level, the art just isn't very good. Flat heads and that kind of stuff.

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 31, 2014, 02:38:27 PM »
Guess who is a filthy liar? I am! :D

1. Disgaea 4
2. The Guided Fate Paradox
3. Puzzle Quest 2
4. Puzzle Quest: Galactrix
5. Ys: Memories of Celceta
6. Danganronpa
7. Sorcery Saga: Curse of the Great Curry God
8. Atelier Escha & Logy
9. The Starship Damrey
10. Attack of the Friday Monsters!
11. The Witch and the Hundred Knight
12. Professor Layton and the Spectre's Call
13. Lost Odyssey
14. Wakedas
15. Magical Starsign
16. Etrian Odyssey Untold
17. Mugen Souls Z
18. Picross e4
19. Crystal Warriors
20. To the Moon
21. The Banner Saga
22. Game Dev Tycoon
23. Gone Home
24. Bastion
25. Breath of Death VII
26. Cthulhu Saves the World
27. Ys Book I
28. Ys Book II
29. Tappingo
30. Millennium: A New Hope
31. Penny Arcade Episode 3
32. Ys Origin
33. Penny Arcade Episode 4
34. The Night of the Rabbit
35. Tales of Xillia 2
36. Danganronpa 2
37. Ar nosurge
38. Always Sometimes Monsters
39. Fantasy Life
40. Labyrinthine Dreams
41. Costume Quest
42. Ys Seven
43. Tales of Hearts R
44. Shin Megami Tensei IV
45. Tengami
46. Picross e5
47. Hero of the Kingdom
48. Thomas was Alone
49. Eternal Eden
50. Dysfunctional Systems: Learning to Manage Chaos
51. Hatoful Boyfriend
52. I have no mouth and I must scream
53. Dust: An Elysian Tail
54. Saturday Morning RPG
55. Knights of Pen and Paper +1

56. Gemini Rue

It's a cyberpunk-ish noir detective 90s style adventure game and it has Cowboy Bebop related easter eggs. Glorious! A little less glorious were minor technical problems like text instantly skipping after using the save menu, but atleast people didn't lose their faces.

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 13, 2015, 10:55:40 AM »
Finally went back through and tried to figure out all I did this year:

1. FFXII (I put at least 120 hours into this sucker)
2. Ys: Oath in Felghana
3. Chrono Cross (at least my 5th playthrough)
4. Albert Odyssey
5. .hack//infection
6. Beyond: Two Souls
7. Arc the Lad I
8. Lunar: Silver Star Harmony
9. Lunar 2: EBC
10. Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions (at least my 10th playthrough)
11. Ys: Chronicles
12. Super Mario RPG (at least my 3rd playthrough)

I started and didn't finish at least as many games as are on this list and I sold off probably around 50 titles that I'm certain I'll never get around to.  I also spent WAY too much time playing Europa Barbarorum (which might be the most entertaining strategy game ever created).

One thing that really stood out to me when I was reading this site's "Best of" Feature was that I didn't touch a single game on anyone's list.  I'm not sure if that's indicative of my tastes in gaming or my refusal to play most games on PC or my lack of a next gen console. Luckily, I'll have a lot more free time (and money) in 2015.

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

Monsoon

• Electric Mayhem
  • RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • Can't Stop the Monsoon
« Reply #80 on: January 23, 2015, 12:55:57 AM »
1. Ys Seven
2. Rayman Origins
3. Assassin's Creed II
4. Dust: An Elysian Tail
5. The Walking Dead (season one)
6. Frog Fractions
7. Mortal Kombat (2011)
8. Digital Devil Saga
9. Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
10. Persona 3: Portable (FeMC)
11. Sonny
12. Sonny 2
13. Dragon Age: Origins
14. Dragon Age: Origins: Awakening
15. Retro Game Challenge
16. Batman: Arkham City
17. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
18. Bravely Default
19. Persona 2: Innocent Sin
20. Persona 4 Arena Ultimax
21. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
22. Dragon Age: Inquisition

I got too busy at the end of the year to do much else, so Inquisition was my game for most of December and I got right to the end of XenoBlade and Persona Q, but didn't beat either of them before January 1st.  XenoBlade's done, and Persona Q is near done.  They should be two of the first games on my 2015 list.