Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 11:36:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334816 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  Gears of War
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Gears of War  (Read 3246 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« on: November 08, 2006, 10:24:39 PM »

Anyone here checking this out? It's garnered a lot of hype, and my brother picked up the CE today. I played a bit, and so far it's pretty entertaining.
Superflat
Podcast Mom

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2006, 10:35:31 PM »

I think I'm going to wait a bit on this, not because of the game itself, but because there's so much other stuff coming out right about now (including the Wii). I might get it as a gift or something.

If the reviews are really true then I can't wait to play it.
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2006, 01:55:07 AM »

I'm picking it up on Friday.  I honestly wasn't really psyched for this game all that much because the whole "taking cover" aspect always had me thinking of "Kill-Switch" or whatever the hell it was called on the PS2 a few years back and I really didn't care for that one.  But, after reading a few reviews on the game yesterday I'm looking forward to it just because pretty much every game site has been calling it the 360's must-have.
And I must say that it definitely is a sweet looking game in the graphics department..

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
arizlaan

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2006, 03:12:53 AM »

I see that game...It one awesome looking game on Xbox 360. i would not bye it now. beacuse most of the X boxs are breaking apart..maybe leter ..

god is god
Lilim

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2006, 09:39:22 AM »

My roommate got this game and it has quite a different feel than most FPS have. You have to be careful or you can die real quick. Run n' Gun doesn't work too well; you have to take cover and assess the situation to see where you get the best advantage. I only got to see a few hours of play, but it looks like fun even though I'm not usually a FPS player. I'll probably give the co-op  a go tonight.

Of course, the game looks and sounds awesome. It really shows what a next-gen game can be when specifically designed on that hardware and not a multi-platform bump-up.
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2006, 07:14:17 AM »

I decided to get it last night instead of waiting till today.  The game is friggin' awesomely fun, especially online.  It takes a bit of time getting used to the cover and fire mechanic but it's a lot more fun than i'd imagined.  It's also great sneaking up on someone online and cutting them to ribbons with the chainsaw or curb-stomping the bastards when they're down=D

It's nice when a game actually lives up to the hype.

Degolas

sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2006, 10:53:16 AM »

Lilim, when you've tried out the co-op, let me know what it's like. I'm looking for a good co-op game at the moment.

I had a stupid dream
that I could change things.

Check out my YouTube videos!: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Degolas
everluck

stay positive!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2006, 06:08:06 PM »

Deg, I can honestly say that GoW is the best co-op game I have ever played.

... besides the original Mario Bros.

[/url]
Lilim

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2006, 12:55:18 PM »

Deg, I agree with Everluck. It's pretty awesome to play with someone else through the campaign. The screen splits horizontally and I haven't seen any loss in graphics or slowdown because of it. It's smooth as silk.

It's pure fun and really that's all that counts to me.
Chimpbot

ChimpbotD piccolo141@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2006, 02:49:32 AM »

Quote from: "arizlaan"
I see that game...It one awesome looking game on Xbox 360. i would not bye it now. beacuse most of the X boxs are breaking apart..maybe leter ..

I'm sorry, but that's just a stupid thing to say.

I hate to burst your bubble, but 360's aren't breaking left and right; while there were a significant number of people who had problems, its ultimately a case of a vocal minority.
While it's anecdotal, both my roommate and myself own launch 360's...and neither one has exhibited any signs of breaking down nearly a year later.

So..yeah. Have fun with not playing the 360's killer app.

I'm afraid the 360 will be quite operation when your friends arrive...
Sarcasmorator

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2006, 12:54:44 AM »

I'll also call bullshit on broken Xboxes. Mine's from the first run, and it's never even made a peep of protest, not even with the games that are pegged as troublemakers, like Chromehouds. Something like 2 percent of units had problems.

GoW is pretty awesome. Chainsaw bayonet was a great idea, as was the curb stomp. They're fun like fatalities were fun when the original MK came out.

So long, Scorpex!
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2006, 11:27:08 AM »

I finally beat the game last night.  There's really not a lot to say about the ending sequence.  It's kind of a non-event with no closure and it kind of pissed me off because I wanted more gameplay.  This game really needs to be longer so I hope they start working on a sequel soon.

Starbreaker

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2006, 05:26:25 AM »

Quote from: "Esper_Crusader"
I finally beat the game last night.  There's really not a lot to say about the ending sequence.  It's kind of a non-event with no closure and it kind of pissed me off because I wanted more gameplay.  This game really needs to be longer so I hope they start working on a sequel soon.

Thats exactly what I didn't want to hear, It's always the same. when somthing stunning comes along its either too short or hasn't got closure to keep you happy. I sincerely hope they start pumping out Live content if your statment is true, I'm going to pick up the game today, but then again if it is too short I suppose it doesn't matter so much at this current time becuase the brilliant Wii will be out soon.

Someone say Zelda?

everluck

stay positive!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2006, 11:53:21 AM »

I thought the ending brought closure. Not sure if this is a spoiler or not, so I'll code it...

Code:
You kill one of the big generals of the Locust hoard and end up blasting away a good deal of their underground forces. It leaves room open for a sequel, but you do what you were trying to do from the beginning of the game. You use the Lightmass bomb and explotidize their tunnels. So what if you didn't kill their real leader? Of course they're going to leave the game open for a sequel.

Anyway, it wasn't a Halo 2.

[/url]
Starbreaker

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2006, 12:26:31 PM »

Quote from: "everluck"

Anyway, it wasn't a Halo 2.

Thank fook.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: