Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 23, 2014, 11:41:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327222 Posts in 13399 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Next-gen RPGs
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Next-gen RPGs  (Read 2099 times)
Amankhan

View Profile

Ignore
« on: November 08, 2006, 10:24:49 PM »

So I recently bought a 360 in hopes of Blue Dragon & a few other RPGs coming here next year.  I'm considering a PS3 sometime in the next 6 months.

With that, I'm looking into the RPG release schedule for these 2 consoles for North America.  And unless I'm missing something, it doesn't look all that great.

Trusty Bell was announced as coming out over here next year.  Past that, what other next-gen RPGs have confirmed NA releases?  I assumed that Blue Dragon was pretty much confirmed, but I can't even find anything that backs that up.

As for the PS3, have any RPGs been announced for NA release?
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2006, 10:35:00 PM »

I'll assume that if they're putting trailer on XBL, that they are at least considering a US release of Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey.

Most early RPGs honestly aren't that hot. It'll be awhile before we start seeing really good RPGs being announced and coming out.
Amankhan

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2006, 10:41:30 PM »

Quote from: "Eusis"
I'll assume that if they're putting trailer on XBL, that they are at least considering a US release of Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey.

I just checked Marketplace & I don't see a trailer for either of those games.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2006, 10:45:45 PM »

Quote from: "Amankhan"
Quote from: "Eusis"

I just checked Marketplace & I don't see a trailer for either of those games.

Check under 'Bringing it home" or TGS or something. I know i downloaded trailers of both anyway.
Amankhan

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2006, 11:00:45 PM »

Found it, thanks.

Just odd how we have no RPG release dates for the new consoles for the next few months.  Zelda is about the only one I know of right now.
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2006, 11:30:15 PM »

RPGs usually lack within the first year for a few reasons....

1) Most RPG companies have a slightly longer turnaround time than most studios. I mean look at FFXII.....it's been over 5 years since FFX.

B) RPGs are a very niche market...so until a system is well established with a good user base, most niche genre are going to lag behind by a lot. You have your sports games...check...your FPS...check....your sandbox beatem ups....check...RPGs? Wait a year.

*) Money. Lets face it...in NA and Europe RPGs just dont bring in the cash like other games. Yes when we have a good game on our hands...it sells shit tons (again...FFXII) very quickly, but for those smalltime titles and even those titles that have some name recognition: RPGs just dont rake in the cash this side of Japan.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Britton

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2006, 08:50:41 AM »

Enchanted Arms is a pretty solid RPG for the 360 and it's out right now. I'm looking forward to the Mistwker 360 RPG's as well. Blue Dragon looks to be good.

A large majority of the RPG's the last few years seem to have come out for the handhelds. That's why I recently bought a Nintendo DS.
Amankhan

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2006, 11:50:57 AM »

I worked at a 360 testing lab in Redmond for 7 months, and in that time, we tested a few RPGs that were to be released for Japan.  (Spectral Force 3, Far East of Eden, & a few others I can't mention yet because they're still not out in Japan).

I would have thought by now we'd have word if any of these are going to be released here in North America, but from what I can find only Far East of Eden is in the works for a North American release.
Reunion

elementfayt
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2006, 12:07:41 AM »

They are remaking Far East of Eden? That's the best new i've heard all day.

Professor Gast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2006, 03:49:31 AM »

Far East of Eden (Tengai Makyo ZIRIA) has been available in Japan since March and Spectral Force 3 since May :P. I don't see, how that's exciting.

As for next-gen RPGs, what do you expect, there weren't any major RPGs available for PlayStation 2 either during the system's first year. Final Fantasy X for instance arrived 16 months after PlayStation 2 had been launched in Japan.

It takes time to make those games, in particular because developers first have to get used to the new hardware. Second, if you spend millions and millions of dollars into making a game, you obviously want it to sell. Hence the third party publishers wait until the installed hardbase, that is the number of potential customers, has increased.

Dade: Final Fantasy XII was an extreme case, normally Square Enix could do almost two main series installments in the time it took them to make this game. Final Fantasy XII took way too long to develop, after all the game was originally scheduled for a 2004 release in Japan.

Personally, the only next-gen RPG (and game) I'm slightly interested in is Final Fantasy XIII.
Amankhan

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2006, 11:50:08 AM »

Quote from: "Professor Gast"
As for next-gen RPGs, what do you expect, there weren't any major RPGs available for PlayStation 2 either during the system's first year. Final Fantasy X for instance arrived 16 months after PlayStation 2 had been launched in Japan.

I'm not expecing any RPGs to be available right now for the PS3.  I'm not that naive & I'm aware of the development time it takes for RPGs.

However, for the 360, we're almost past the 1 year mark & as I said previously there are a few Japanese RPGs that I had expected to hear at least something of a NA release by now if there were plans to release the games over here.  If nothing else, companies often mention plans of a future NA release, as how Namco Bandai had announced back in September of the NA release of Eternal Sonata.

The Wii is still a bit of a mystery for RPGs, in the sense that I'd like to know if there are concrete plans for releasing Dragon Quest Swords, Fire Emblem, & Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles over here.  I assume that all 3 titles will be released, but I thought I'd check here to see if anyone has heard anything confirming that assumption.
arizlaan

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2006, 05:20:32 PM »

As we talk about next gen rpg or games,We all  have see how Final fantsay XIII is going to "look like" so they say so! Some times I can't believe it,that going to look as good it shows on the gameplay from the trailer. but it's relly sad that nintendo Wii also dont have a launching rpg after Wii's release. There was not mush rpgs also released on gamecube too. So I dont think there will be as mush as rpgs than playstation3.

god is god
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: